ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska opens up as an 8 pt underdog vs Minnesota

Your logic makes no sense if you are basing your reasoning on talent based of recruiting rankings.. Nebraska has ranked higher than Minny since Riley has been here, so wouldn't that mean we have superior talent?
Stats. We’ve been comparable w/ Minnesota, at least within a standard deviation. Both firmly within the gray zone of mediocrity. Talent derived mostly from 3* athletes, won some lose some, YET fully prepared to bend over, grab ankles, and try and find some moral victory being ass-raped by the teams we don’t belong in the same sentence with.

Stats. We’ve been comparable w/ Minnesota, at least within a standard deviation. Both firmly within the gray zone of mediocrity. Talent derived mostly from 3* athletes, won some lose some, YET fully prepared to bend over, grab ankles, and try and find some moral victory being ass-raped by the teams we don’t belong in the same sentence with.
given this (which I agree with - hard not to), does the 8 point spread align with your expectations?

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Good, good

SereneEllipticalEskimodog-max-1mb.gif

It's crazy that other than Michigan, Minnesota is the only team on this year's schedule to win at least 9 games last year.

given this (which I agree with - hard not to), does the 8 point spread align with your expectations?
I dunno… new coach, opening with a conference road game… maybe? It’ll probably go down between now and then, but don’t see any circumstance in which we could be a statistical favorite. Also don’t bet sports, so will admit ignorance on spreads. Do know Vegas books are eerily accurate, a lot.

Reactions: king_kong_
We have been so beaten down by bad coaching and some bad breaks the last 5 years that people are forgetting how lame

Minny
Iowa
Purdue
Illinois
MSU
RU
MD
NW
Wisconsin
and Indiana

really are.

Think how bad NU was last year and they still "beat" Wisky, Minny, Purdue (their best team in 30 years), Illinois (There best team in 20 years) and so on.

An average coach with average "NU" players is going to do just fine at NU.
F*cking, THIS.

I really dislike the new trend in college football in all of the conferences where your opening game is against a conference foe. It happened a few times during the Osborne years too, but not with the frequency it is happening now. Give me the days where for most traditional blue blood programs you opened your season at home against a complete doormat directional school.

This game against Minnesota is a mystery. They do not seem to have much talent coming back, but they have a stable coaching staff, develop players well, and have had our number. And it is in their place at night. We have a new staff, a huge roster turnover, and new systems on both sides of the ball. On paper this looks like a loss. But we might also come out with fire in our bellies with a chip on our shoulders and something to prove. We also have a lot of talent at the skill positions. If our two lines play competent football we will win this.
Huskers will travel well for this game. My nephew goes to the U and my sister lives 10 minutes away. I think it’s time I went to a Husker road game.

I really dislike the new trend in college football in all of the conferences where your opening game is against a conference foe. It happened a few times during the Osborne years too, but not with the frequency it is happening now. Give me the days where for most traditional blue blood programs you opened your season at home against a complete doormat directional school.

This game against Minnesota is a mystery. They do not seem to have much talent coming back, but they have a stable coaching staff, develop players well, and have had our number. And it is in their place at night. We have a new staff, a huge roster turnover, and new systems on both sides of the ball. On paper this looks like a loss. But we might also come out with fire in our bellies with a chip on our shoulders and something to prove. We also have a lot of talent at the skill positions. If our two lines play competent football we will win this.
Trust me this will be a dog fight and as far as I’m concerned more important winning this game than the Colorado game..

One way or the other Nebraska needs to be 1-1 to start the season..

I was guessing we'd be about a 10 point dog vs Minnesota. The Gophers aren't King Kong. We should be able to do this.

I'm going to be in a foul mood if we're not 2-0 to begin the season. Probably not realistic, I dunno.

"Minny has no running back".

LOL!
I'm assuming you're a Minnesota fan. If not, ignore this post. What does Minnesota look like this year? They lost a lot of players to graduation and transfer, but they appear to have found a good QB replacement. They also had some disgruntled player issues a short while back.

I'm assuming you're a Minnesota fan. If not, ignore this post. What does Minnesota look like this year? They lost a lot of players to graduation and transfer, but they appear to have found a good QB replacement. They also had some disgruntled player issues a short while back.
Replacing their QB is actually a good thing, that dude they had sucked.

But, they will not replace that RB that PJ tried to kill.

Gophers picked up Sean Taylor from the portal who played at Western Michigan. Trey Potts returns for his senior year and they do have a hand full of untested Freshman that didn’t see playing time last year.

Obviously the big loss is Ibrahim their major work horse.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Gophers picked up Sean Taylor from the portal who played at Western Michigan. Trey Potts returns for his senior year and they do have a hand full of untested Freshman that didn’t see playing time last year.

Obviously the big loss is Ibrahim their major work horse.
Potts transferred to Penn St...

Sean Tyler is who they picked up as a RB. He is small (5'8) but has had over 1,000 yard seasons at W Michigan the past two seasons. Picked up two productive WRs as well from smaller schools.

They lost some key OL and a few veteran defensive players but overall should be a decent team. They will however take a step back from last year imo.

Potts transferred to Penn St...

Sean Tyler is who they picked up as a RB. He is small (5'8) but has had over 1,000 yard seasons at W Michigan the past two seasons. Picked up two productive WRs as well from smaller schools.

They lost some key OL and a few veteran defensive players but overall should be a decent team. They will however take a step back from last year imo.
Wasn’t aware Potts transferred to Penn St, which is odd because he would have been the Gophers starter…

Losing those two players I don’t expect them to have as strong as running game like they have in the past..

Reactions: BleedRed78
Honestly we should be more talented than Minnesota but because it's the first real game for a new offense and a new defense that is an offsetting factor. My hope is that the new defense can confuse the Gophers.

Honestly we should be more talented than Minnesota but because it's the first real game for a new offense and a new defense that is an offsetting factor. My hope is that the new defense can confuse the Gophers.
does any other b10 team play a 3-3-5?

Of this and the prime times the following week, I think this will be the more likely win.

Well NO ONE knows how the team will perform vs. competition next year. BUT let's hope Nebraska is projected by the pundits to be a huge underdog and then shocks everyone. I think the player potential talent is there but will the knowledge of the new schemes be adequate and the chemistry of a new staff to win? We'll see.

You think it's easier to beat a BIG 10 team with an established coach who consistently goes to bowl games? On the road for Rhules first game? Compared to a shit program with a totally unproven coach?
I will say Deion has more experience ( head ) coaches on his staff all together than what PJ has on his..

Minnesota will be a tough game but other then the QB who came in against us at the end of the season last year, you need to convince me they’ll be better at the start of the season than when they were when we played them in November.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
NU won that game last year until they hurt that horrible QB...

Minny has no RB.

Take the 8 and enjoy your money.
yeah, but the backup who came in was far better and he's out starter this year.

And we'll be solid at RB. Just because Mo left doesn't mean the cupboard is bare. We brought in a good transfer and have been getting solid recruits for a few years now. Plus, now we might be able to actually have a receiving threat out of the backfield.

Not trying to talk smack, just pointing some stuff out. I'm looking forward to the game too!

I will give you credit for stating ahead of time what yer betting on...beats people who quote an old post that didnt work out while tbey make fun of the person who was wrong and lost money....I am curious how much you guys (Someday...etc) wager on these games? Are we talikn a hundy...fiddy??? More, less?? I havent wagerd in forever and am just curious....also, how do you place the bets? Online I assume?.
I use bovada (www.bovada.lv) I know you can use some US ones if you live in a state that allows it though.

As for numbers, I wouldn't touch the over/under of 46.5. Fleck likes to get a lead and then drain the play clock to zero and then hand off. And we should be solid on defense.

On individual games, I like to keep most of my betting under $50. For season long betting, like the total number of wins, I'll do a few hundred per bet tops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT