ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska-Creighton week

Maybe it's time Miles relaxes a bit on some guys he doesn't trust on defense and give them some minutes? Horne came in with the pedigree of a good shooter but he has been assigned to the bench now.

Here's my starting 5:
Watson - Webster - Roby - Morrow - Tshimanga

Figure out the bench from there. The above is the most athletic lineup we could have, so why not start a game with them. It also gives us plenty of length. Sure, we're going to have defensive lapses like Jordy did last night, but that's on the coaches to get it fixed. Jordy showed a lot to me last night in his limited minutes.

Here's my starting 5:
Watson - Webster - Roby - Morrow - Tshimanga

Figure out the bench from there. The above is the most athletic lineup we could have, so why not start a game with them. It also gives us plenty of length. Sure, we're going to have defensive lapses like Jordy did last night, but that's on the coaches to get it fixed. Jordy showed a lot to me last night in his limited minutes.

I would agree with this.

Why is Nebraska not an easy place to win? It's not like all the top players come from warm weather states and won't come north.

It's quite simple, if you hire a coach that plays a style of basketball that is appealing to players they will come.

Since this thread already involves Creighton, I will use McDermott as an example. If he recruits Mo Watson to come to Creighton, then decides to run a slowdown pace on offense with an emphasis on defense any failure is on him. He has recruited wing players and stretch 4s that want to run and launch 3s. He gets point guards that want to push it up the court and are willing to pass the ball.

Miles gets guys like Roby in here then stymies his athleticism. Watson, Webster, McVeigh are all guys that can run at a faster pace than what we see now.

I believe he is afraid to get into a track meet because he has the small school mentality as a coach. He coaches like an underdog. Trying to keep it close and steal it in the end. He is coaching at Nebraska like he coached at Colorado St. he doesn't think he has the horses to play at that level.

Reactions: WCDC
he ran good offense at colo st though - at least that's what I remember thinking when we hired him. guessing he had guys that made shots.

he ran good offense at colo st though - at least that's what I remember thinking when we hired him. guessing he had guys that made shots.

Miles last year at CSU....they were a top 35 offense and top 10 in three point shooting. Have to wonder what kind of impact Molinari has had on him.

Miles last year at CSU....they were a top 35 offense and top 10 in three point shooting. Have to wonder what kind of impact Molinari has had on him.

Sort of-

That team was 275th in FG attempts,
And 130th in 3pt attempts and 120th in scoring offense.

He coached like an underdog. Limited shots for both teams.

We were getting open looks but for some reason they aren't going down. In fact lots of those shots were just plain ugly and I know these guys are better shooters than that. It really looks to me like the guys are just thinking too much. IMO, we need to quit trying to use clock to just try to stay close so we can try to steal wins at the buzzer. Run and gun and let the chips fall where they may. Let the guys play fast and loose and see what happens because clearly the slower paced play hasn't worked. I think it's screwing up our shooters' timing by making them think before they shoot. Catch and shoot baby. Maybe we lose by 24 instead of 12 that way but we have to do something different. It appeared to me that we were better against Creighton and when we let Glynn and Tai press things instead of trying to be deliberate and set the offense. JMHO.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
The funny thing is we hired Miles in part because he won at CSU with Nebraska kids that Doc didn't bother to recruit. And now he gets blown out by a Top 10 team with a couple of Nebraska kids that he didn't bother to recruit.

The funny thing is we hired Miles in part because he won at CSU with Nebraska kids that Doc didn't bother to recruit. And now he gets blown out by a Top 10 team with a couple of Nebraska kids that he didn't bother to recruit.
Doc tried to recruit some of those kids but they didn't want to play for him. Miles is getting talent because the kids like him and want to play for him. We played mostly freshmen and sophomores against a top 10 Creighton team, maybe their best team in many many years and for most of the game we looked like we belonged on the court with them. Just have to start making shots. Period. That's all it was.

Doc tried to recruit some of those kids but they didn't want to play for him. Miles is getting talent because the kids like him and want to play for him. We played mostly freshmen and sophomores against a top 10 Creighton team, maybe their best team in many many years and for most of the game we looked like we belonged on the court with them. Just have to start making shots. Period. That's all it was.
So what decade are we gonna start making shots? Lol! I love Miles but geez, I get tired of seeing this discombobulated team every year. Idk what the answer is.....so many things to fix.

As the legendary coach and philosopher Abe Lemons once said:

"Son, there's a reason you're always open."

Reactions: cubsker

It's a little more than just making shots. Go back and watch the 2nd half. Compare Creighton's movement on offense with whatever we were doing. It was night and day. They ran beautiful offensive sets and got layup after layup because one coach made the adjustments and the other did not. Yes we have a young team this year, but were Miles' excuses the last 12 times he's lost to McDermott?

Reactions: WCDC and newAD
It's a little more than just making shots. Go back and watch the 2nd half. Compare Creighton's movement on offense with whatever we were doing. It was night and day. They ran beautiful offensive sets and got layup after layup because one coach made the adjustments and the other did not. Yes we have a young team this year, but were Miles' excuses the last 12 times he's lost to McDermott?

At some point people need to start asking why one coach's scheme can get not just open shots, but a lot of easy shots too.

Morrow is shooting 56% from the field and the rest of the team is shooting 39%. Of the non-Morrow FG attempts, nearly 40% are coming from three-point range. Those are falling at rate of 29% - which is second-to-last among Big Ten teams, leading only Rutgers. So obviously the key to this team's success is to shoot more threes until they start going in. Period, end of story.

And a lot of Morrow's buckets come from his production on the offensive glass. If the would ever allow him to get position in the low block, pass him the ball, draw the wing defender down to open up even more 3 pointers or get him the ball on the block, clear out the weak side and look for someone to cut to the basket. Instead, he camps in the lane looking for offensive boards, which allows his defender to also stay in the lane. No reason for the wing defender to defend down and leave their man open. So no open shots and too much traffic for a cutter.

When Webster and Watson catch the ball in rhythm, they are good shooters. The problem is they aren't often catching the ball in rhythm.

Reactions: schuele
As the legendary coach and philosopher Abe Lemons once said:

"Son, there's a reason you're always open."
Michael Jacobson. Creighton and most teams are backing off him begging him to shoot 3's and/or jump shots. Last game, most of section I was in was screaming at Jacobson "Don't shoot!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT