ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska-Creighton week

Nebraska didn't even try to get Morrow involved at all tonight on the offensive end. He can score from the post and when you go cold from the field you have to try to go inside with the ball. Also, I thought Watson was piss poor attacking the basket tonight. They would set screens for him and he would just head towards the sideline with the ball.

Will be interesting to see what Eichorst does after not giving an extension last year. Miles will only have 3 years left on the contract, he will have to make a decision.

5 straight losses to Creighton isn't going to help...even Doc went 3-3 against the blue birds.
Miles needs to win if not this year then next year or somebody else will get to coach all the talent he brought in. Terrible effort. Creighton's good but man.

We were doomed the moment Tai got his 4th foul. Our offense is a complete cluster F. Going to take a hell of a defensive effort in the Big Ten to play .500 ball.

Nebraska didn't even try to get Morrow involved at all tonight on the offensive end. He can score from the post and when you go cold from the field you have to try to go inside with the ball. Also, I thought Watson was piss poor attacking the basket tonight. They would set screens for him and he would just head towards the sideline with the ball.
Morrow couldn't get the ball up with the 7 fter guarding him when he did get it down low. We HAD to hit 3s if we were going to compete.

If we shoot like this on Saturday, KU might beat us by 50. The Jayhawks made 15 3-pointers the other night and have shot over 50% from 3-point range each of the last 4 games.

If he's still around next year I believe we will be better too. Lots of young talent that's just figuring things out.
We say this every year and it's wishful thinking. With that said, maybe they can find a way to win 10 games in the Big Ten as doubtful as that looks with this offense.

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFmxwVjRTaUo3NEJHbG5rTzIyMVhFQlEAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

Reactions: cubsker
Morrow couldn't get the ball up with the 7 fter guarding him when he did get it down low. We HAD to hit 3s if we were going to compete.
I'm sorry, but that is crap. He's scored against 7 footers all year. He took 3 shots all night and only one of them was part of the offense when they got him the ball way under the basket and got his shot blocked. Patton was out quite a bit in foul trouble all game and we never tried to get him the ball. Our guards had some bad tunnel vision all night and missed some open guys underneath all night.

3 for 22 from three. We make it so easy to defend us. You would think that Miles would have learned after two years ago we shot 28 percent from deep. Might be time to start recruiting shooters rather than worrying about defense 90 percent of the time.

Reactions: newAD and TheNewNU
He played his ass off. He was open so many times on rolls after picks. And I am not talking for a second. He literally stood by himself for multiple 3 counts.

Reactions: schuele
3 for 22 from three. We make it so easy to defend us. You would think that Miles would have learned after two years ago we shot 28 percent from deep. Might be time to start recruiting shooters rather than worrying about defense 90 percent of the time.
Miles seems enamored with having a team full of 6'6"-6'8" wing type players that are slashers and not shooters and it shows when teams just shut down the lane and let you shoot jump shots. I've said it since Miles has been here that it's ok to play without big guys if you have a team full of shooters and we don't.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Jacobson had the ball at the top of the key. morrow stood 4 feet from the hoop with his hands up for a good two seconds. Jacobson just stood there. funny if not so sad.

Jacobson had the ball at the top of the key. morrow stood 4 feet from the hoop with his hands up for a good two seconds. Jacobson just stood there. funny if not so sad.
It was that way all night. In other games, they have at least made an effort to get him the ball in the post. Tonight? Not so much.

Don't look at the players as much as the coaching. The inability to run an offense gets really hard when you have no structure. Just watch the screens NU sets and the watch the screens CU sets. Lots of motion going on when CU has the ball versus almost zero motion when NU had the ball. As much as I would like to see NU win some games, I just don't see it happening with Miles steering a rudderless ship.

He played his ass off. He was open so many times on rolls after picks. And I am not talking for a second. He literally stood by himself for multiple 3 counts.
Morrow would be a total animal if he was a few inches taller. This program just can't get any traction. Really frustrating!

Again...tired of Nebraska men's sports being tragically ordinary. Average coaches beget average results. In Miles' and Erstad's case, below average coaches. Miles is somewhat understandable, because he is in the best league, with the best coaches, but he can't get completely owned by the team from Omaha every year. Erstad has NO excuse. Riley...the jury is still out.

I'm hopeful that someone with hiring and firing ability can see these programs for what they are...programs with facilities just begging for coaches that have the same level of ability to coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
So if the other team has a tall player, just give up on scoring inside? Wow, that'll really open up that 3-pt game.

Again...tired of Nebraska men's sports being tragically ordinary. Average coaches beget average results. In Miles' and Erstad's case, below average coaches. Miles is somewhat understandable, because he is in the best league, with the best coaches. Erstad has NO excuse. Riley...the jury is still out.

I'm hopeful that someone with hiring and firing ability can see these programs for what they are...facilities just begging for coaches that have the same level of ability to coach.

How Marc Boehm still oversees basketball after 13 years of mediocrity is the biggest question I have. It seems like he doesn't do anything until Barfknecht writes a scathing article in the OWH. The first order of business should be to reassign him and bring in someone innovative to oversee basketball. We have amazing facilities and one of our former players just won an NBA championship coaching the best player in the world. If we can't capitalize now, we never will.

Seems like every basketball thread is the same. We can't make a shot. Refs suck. Miles got out coached. Etc...

Not super impressed with Creighton either. Played out of control most of first half. I know they like pushing tempo but that sloppy play will catch up with them at some point.

Seems like every basketball thread is the same. We can't make a shot. Refs suck. Miles got out coached. Etc...

Not super impressed with Creighton either. Played out of control most of first half. I know they like pushing tempo but that sloppy play will catch up with them at some point.

When the team exhibits the same ineptness in the same categories every game, it's pretty easy to assess.

Creighton can run, but they are equally impressive in their half court sets. They move without the ball...and they move the ball around quickly. We give up on our offensive sets, and it becomes 1 on 1. Equally ugly every year under Miles.

The only reason we won in year 2 is because we had 2 players that excelled in getting the ball to the rack, outside of Miles' system.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Silly Husker fans should know that only one college BB team ever gets screwed by the refs. And that, of course, is Kansas.

I often wonder where this program would be if we had hired Dana Altman instead of Barry Collier in 2000. It hurts to see a guy from Wilber, NE take Oregon to the Elite 8.

Or imagine if Bill Self had said yes to Bill Byrne....though I doubt Self would have stayed here long anyway.

I often wonder where this program would be if we had hired Dana Altman instead of Barry Collier in 2000. It hurts to see a guy from Wilber, NE take Oregon to the Elite 8.

Or imagine if Bill Self had said yes to Bill Byrne....though I doubt Self would have stayed here long anyway.
Altman was probably a possibility at one point or another. Self - not so much. NU would have had to have grabbed Self when he was still at Oral Roberts. Once he took Tulsa to the Elite 8, he was beyond of the Huskers' reach.

Wait, I thought Kansas always got all the calls.
No that's a mere figment of the imagination of the unwashed huddled masses who root for basketball teams other than the mighty Jayhawks. We know this because KU fans regularly scold them for their silly complaining about the officiating, which is always above board and outstanding.

Until Kansas loses a game. Then there's enough crying to fill a swimming pool and enough conspiracy theories to put Alex Jones to shame.

If you look at the shot chart, NU made four shots outside of the paint. FOUR! They also only had 8 assists. These stats show there are serious problems with the offensive game plan, if there is one.

Reactions: newAD

Well, if we are worried about playing D then it is an epic fail. What I was able to watch was painful. we gave up layup after layup. I have Not been impressed with our overall team D for a while.

Alot of the layups were In the 2nd half of the game with Webster on the bench with 4 fouls and Watson playing tentitively on defense with 3 fouls.

I thought Nebraska played well enough defensively to win. Mo Watson was out of control going to the rim quite a few times and was forced into a fair number of turnovers. Then before the layups and dunks started at the end, the defense held Creighton to well below their average FG%.

The problems with this team are 100% on the offensive side of the ball.

If you are going to play slow you have to have a team with a low post offensive game, multiple players that can create their own shot, and high pct shooters. When you play at a pace to reduce the number of shots the opponents get, you also reduce the number of shots you get, so you have to shoot a higher pct. to win consistently.

Reactions: newAD
Until the below changes, this program will remain stagnant. Building your program around defense is not an issue, but you can't be as bad offensively as we have been under Miles and expect to win. I get that White left us in the dust..but after two years ago in which we were historically bad on offense, how you don't bring in more guys that can shoot the ball I don't know. Maybe it's time Miles relaxes a bit on some guys he doesn't trust on defense and give them some minutes? Horne came in with the pedigree of a good shooter but he has been assigned to the bench now. For an offense that is predicated on the dribble drive, Miles makes it awfully difficult to work by not recruiting guys that can also stretch the defense.

2013(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(297)(11)
3pt%-(304)(9)
2pt%-(273)(11)

2014(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(226)(8)
3pt%-(212)(7)
2pt%-(218)(7)

2015(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(288)(13)
3pt%-(341)(14)
2pt%-(156)(6)

2016(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(147)(8)
3pt%-(166)(10)
2pt%-(140)(7)

2017(National Rank)(Big Ten Rank)
eFG%-(314)(No Conference games)
3pt%-(326)(No Conference games)
2pt%-(275)(No Conference games)

Not a huge basketball fan and honestly I wouldn't care if we folded the mens program, so take my opinion for what's what it's worth, zero, but Miles ain't cutting it. I thought this a year and a half ago. Fast forward to next year, or 3 years from now, or whenever, I've seen enough to think he's not cutting it and I have my doubts he ever will. Now having said that, Nebraska basketball is not an easy place to win and I have my doubts there are very many guys who could turn it around who'd even take the job so I get why he's still here and in all honesty you may as well give him another year or two, I just don't expect anything different. I'm rooting for it, but don't expect it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT