ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska-Colorado

From 1988 to 1996, both teams were ranked in the match-up with both teams in the top 10 in 6 out of 9 of those games.

I think the 1989 games was the most difficult game for me as a kid. We beat them every where but in special teams and the score board.

And I will always remember the JJ Flannigan fumble in 1988.

And I still hate Bieniemy & Hagan

From 1988 to 1996, both teams were ranked in the match-up with both teams in the top 10 in 6 out of 9 of those games.

I think the 1989 games was the most difficult game for me as a kid. We beat them every where but in special teams and the score board.

I watched the 1989 game yesterday. Great game and at the time I imagine had to be absolutely soul crushing as a Husker fan.

Colorado was a pretty well-tested team by that point in the season, whereas that game (the 9th of the season for both teams) was the first in which Nebraska played a ranked opponent.

Nebraska and Colorado were the only Big 8 teams to play in bowl games that season. Oklahoma (7-4) was on probation and Iowa State (6-5) wasn't selected.

I hate Jeff Campbell to this day more than Bieniemy and Hagan. Not just for his returns in that 89 game but his reverse in the 86 game. IIRC we could have had Hagan, but he lived in a Crip neighborhood, so wearing red was a no no.

I agree that 1989 game was so beyond frustrating. Especially after it started like this.

Reactions: spinner4
It would be nice if the BIG ever goes to 16 teams it would add Colorado and Oklahoma. I miss playing those 2 teams. I really hated Colorado and enjoyed when the huskers beat them.

For selfish reasons I am quite glad Colorado is not in the same conference as Nebraska. It is so much more enjoyable experience going there IMHO since Nebraska and CU went their separate ways to different conferences. I've had plenty of bad experiences in the Denver area because I was from Nebraska, but not so much in the last 5 years or so. It's nice because I like Colorado and there's lots to do there.

I always take shots at cu fans about how fortunate they were to play Notre Dame in the 1991 OB instead of Miami, who, by the end of the 1990 season, was the best team in the country. cu had a pretty hard fall after Barnett was run out of boulder, much like Nebraska the past several years. From 1989 through 2001, Nebraska and cu had some marquee games for sure.

I watched the 1989 game yesterday. Great game and at the time I imagine had to be absolutely soul crushing as a Husker fan.

One of the things I remember most about that game was on the news from that night. A large crowd of people went down to the airport to applaud the team as they got off the plane that night. Probably the first time that I can remember being proud of the way the Husker's played despite losing.

Reactions: saluno22
It would be nice if the BIG ever goes to 16 teams it would add Colorado and Oklahoma. I miss playing those 2 teams. I really hated Colorado and enjoyed when the huskers beat them.

Oh gawd.....that would be awesome beyond belief. Add Colorado & Oklahoma to the west division.....wow!!

Just keep Texas out of it at all costs.....

Reactions: jedimasterjed
Probably is more appealing than a 56-14 loss i would guess. Sorry, you left it out there. :)
At least CU fans didn't stalk us on message boards like some crazy obsessed teenage girl. Sorry but you left it out there....being creepy and all.

Reactions: Frozone
For selfish reasons I am quite glad Colorado is not in the same conference as Nebraska. It is so much more enjoyable experience going there IMHO since Nebraska and CU went their separate ways to different conferences. I've had plenty of bad experiences in the Denver area because I was from Nebraska, but not so much in the last 5 years or so. It's nice because I like Colorado and there's lots to do there.
Agreed. I lived in Denver from 1990-99, and then Fort Collins from 1999-2009. I left for Lawrence, Kansas from 2009-2013, then to Boulder from 2013-2017. Most of my students at CU had no clue of the CU-NU rivalry, and because so many of them were from California, weren't even that committed as CU fans.

So, yes, those four years in Boulder were much easier to bear as a Nebraska alumnus than the previous 19 years on the Front Range.

Of course, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm now at the University of Iowa, living in Iowa City, so I get to hear that "N" stands for "Nolledge" on a regular basis. Oy.

Long term, Nebraska v Colorado on the Friday after Thanksgiving it much more appealing to me than Iowa.
I almost clicked like on your post, but then realized that the Nebraska/Iowa trash talking has gotten to a level now where, I think the rivalry (if we can call it one yet) is going to surpass Colorado for me.

The fans in Boulder sucked, and even if Iowa sucks, their fans are going to be better to have a rivalry with than probably anyone we have had for quite a while now.

Reactions: scarletred
Probably is more appealing than a 56-14 loss i would guess. Sorry, you left it out there. :)
The all time best Colorado team would literally kick the hell out of the all time best iowa team and twice on Sunday! But you keep gripping to your average iowa team beating the worst Nebraska teams of the past 57 years.;)

Last edited:
Agreed. I lived in Denver from 1990-99, and then Fort Collins from 1999-2009. I left for Lawrence, Kansas from 2009-2013, then to Boulder from 2013-2017. Most of my students at CU had no clue of the CU-NU rivalry, and because so many of them were from California, weren't even that committed as CU fans.

So, yes, those four years in Boulder were much easier to bear as a Nebraska alumnus than the previous 19 years on the Front Range.

Of course, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm now at the University of Iowa, living in Iowa City, so I get to hear that "N" stands for "Nolledge" on a regular basis. Oy.

I've told this story on this board a few times, but in 1991 I was at a Nuggets game, and got picked to be in a contest on the court. Long story short, the PA announcer made it a point after he introduced me to say, "AND HE'S FROM NEBRASKAAAAAAAAAA!" So I was booed by thousands of people and had numerous people flipping me the bird as I walked back up to my seats. Nothing else bad happened, but it was quite a feeling when thousands of people know your name and don't like you.

I was a 21 year old kid at the time and was pretty scared. If the same thing happened today....I'd flip the bird back at everyone. Laughing

I've told this story on this board a few times, but in 1991 I was at a Nuggets game, and got picked to be in a contest on the court. Long story short, the PA announcer made it a point after he introduced me to say, "AND HE'S FROM NEBRASKAAAAAAAAAA!" So I was booed by thousands of people and had numerous people flipping me the bird as I walked back up to my seats. Nothing else bad happened, but it was quite a feeling when thousands of people know your name and don't like you.

I was a 21 year old kid at the time and was pretty scared. If the same thing happened today....I'd flip the bird back at everyone. Laughing
Yeah, and back then, cu was coming off back to back victories in 89/90, and a tie in boulder in 1991, so the hate was strong with buff fans. Was that Nuggets game in Jan/Feb/March/April of 1991, or the fall of 1991? So many cu fans back then were flippin' a-holes.

The CU game on the day after Thanksgiving was extremely fun. To me the game in '90 was even tougher to lose than '89, I just thought NU would hold on to the shutout in such poor weather.
My favorite was '94 but '92 is a close runner-up. Both were ranked 8th and the Huskers rolled them 52-7 (somehow the Buffs finished ranked higher in the final polls though).

The CU game on the day after Thanksgiving was extremely fun. To me the game in '90 was even tougher to lose than '89, I just thought NU would hold on to the shutout in such poor weather.
My favorite was '94 but '92 is a close runner-up. Both were ranked 8th and the Huskers rolled them 52-7 (somehow the Buffs finished ranked higher in the final polls though).
That loss to ISU and then the bowl loss didn't help Nebraska's final poll slot. :(

1989,1990 and 1994 teams were the three best teams in Colorado history...

89 and 90 games were tough to lose, but when Iowa beats a Top 10 Nebraska team like Colorado did back then they will have something too crow about , providing the team that beats us goes on to win something of significance.;)

Reactions: Bugeater

The puffs would cheat on punts by nudging our players from behind but the d--n refs would NEVER call block in the back. Watch those games very closely and you'll see. That po'd me so much. They were coached that way and the big 8 allowed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ad22022
That loss to ISU and then the bowl loss didn't help Nebraska's final poll slot. :(

Yeah, the ISU loss was IMO the worst loss under Coach Osborne. But really the 27-14 Bowl loss to FSU wasn't too bad considering what had been happening in previous bowl games, especially to FSU and Miami.
Still, for the Huskers to end up behind a Colorado team they beat 52-7 is about as stupid as the Huskers finishing ahead of a Colorado team they were beaten by 62-36 in 2001.

Last edited:
Reactions: ad22022
There was a large crowd of people at the Lincoln airport after the 1984 Orange Bowl. I was one of them. That was, I would say, an even more deserving celebration after a loss.

One of the things I remember most about that game was on the news from that night. A large crowd of people went down to the airport to applaud the team as they got off the plane that night. Probably the first time that I can remember being proud of the way the Husker's played despite losing.

No. Just more appealing to play a school that was (and could again be) a perennial top ten rival.
Nebraska and Colorado we're NEVER rivals!! Just ask TO or any Nebraska fan. Only Oklahoma was a rival!! Guys the past is nothing but the past. ALL things evolve. All of us old guys will be dead and no one will remember Oklahoma or Colorado or option football or fullback trap. Evolve

Yeah, and back then, cu was coming off back to back victories in 89/90, and a tie in boulder in 1991, so the hate was strong with buff fans. Was that Nuggets game in Jan/Feb/March/April of 1991, or the fall of 1991? So many cu fans back then were flippin' a-holes.

Spring Break in 1991, so probably March or April.

Nebraska and Colorado we're NEVER rivals!! Just ask TO or any Nebraska fan. Only Oklahoma was a rival!! Guys the past is nothing but the past. ALL things evolve. All of us old guys will be dead and no one will remember Oklahoma or Colorado or option football or fullback trap. Evolve
Lot of "old guys" have died since 1971 when Nebraska and OU played in that classic, yet that game and OU are still remembered quite vividly. What Nebraska football has evolved into recently is a team trying to get back to being a powerhouse while having a contrived rivalry shoved down its throat at seasons end.

The all time best Colorado team would literally kick the hell out of the all time best iowa team and twice on Sunday! But you keep gripping to your average iowa team beating the worst Nebraska teams of the past 57 years.;)

Im not saying Colorado is a garbage program, they had a really good run for about 10 years 85-95' and some really good talent but come on man. Your Iowa hate is blinding you. Take a look at their last 20 years or so...not very impressive.

Im not saying Colorado is a garbage program, they had a really good run for about 10 years 85-95' and some really good talent but come on man. Your Iowa hate is blinding you. Take a look at their last 20 years or so...not very impressive.
Iowa hate is blinding you? Says the iowa fan who comes here to chirp, hilarious. I don't start threads about iowa, nor do I go on iowa message boards. I only respond here when the likes of you and other iowa fans come around, and I have some fun at your expense. Be prepared to take a blast or two when you drop in, it comes with the territory.;)

and iowa for Imbeciles Out Wondering About

Neither is ours (or iowa's), but you rubes keep coming over, thumping your chests over winning over the worst NU teams in almost 6 decades. How did Bugs Bunny say it? What a Maroon.

Whenever I watch games from the 80s and 90s, one of the first things I notice is how much more lenient the referees were with late hits on the quarterback. Putting the quarterback on the ground was part of your defensive strategy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT