ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska basketball

Wasn't there one of Erstad's years that we lost every B1G series 2 games to 1? You couldn't hardly do that on purpose.
2018? Came close anyway, 2 games were canceled (Iowa and Mich St) and they managed to beat Maryland twice but lost every other series 2 to 1 and missed the Big 10 tournament. I think Erstad said he was close to stepping down but wanted to leave on a better note than that, 2019 was definitely better than the low bar set the year before but ending your season blowing a lead against Okie State and then getting absolutely hammered by an ok-ish UConn team was still kind of sad.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Ohio State taking it to Sparty tonight. This could cause the Huskers’ NET ranking to soar into the low 150s.

Reactions: cubsker
I find it telling that our basketball team suddenly seems to have found a pulse and that this has happened shortly after the announcement of Hoiberg's return for next year. I really wonder if there is not a correlation here and if, once our season started to head south and fans were clamoring for Hoiberg to be fired, our players did not lose their morale and their motivation to play. Just a thought....
Remembering when Bill Byrne was in Austin during NCAA playoffs quite a few years ago. He had dinner at my restaurant; we visited several times...Nice fella....He was in Austin to find a BB coach, had Bill Self in his sights, made an offer/ turned down. What a difference that hire would have been. Bill knew how to hire but wasn't able to close the deal.

Remembering when Bill Byrne was in Austin during NCAA playoffs quite a few years ago. He had dinner at my restaurant; we visited several times...Nice fella....He was in Austin to find a BB coach, had Bill Self in his sights, made an offer/ turned down. What a difference that hire would have been. Bill knew how to hire but wasn't able to close the deal.
I just posted about this in another thread. Self was the hot coach at the time and heard Nebraska was interested, but it wasn’t mutual. Self then heads to Illinois soon after. We obviously weren’t good enough for him.

instead we got Barry Collier. At one point after that situation supposedly we were ready to fire Barry and try to hire Self away from Illinois....then he took the KU job. We ended up stuck with Collier for another several years. He had a roughly 48% win percentage and lost a game to Hofstra in his only NIT appearance.

FWIW, the coach with the best winning percentage EVER at NU was Mo Iba with a 62% win percentage. Second was Joe Cipriano with 54%. Considering how we've struggled, we really haven't had all that many head coaches. Iba was run out of town with a "Mo has to go" chant. Cipriano succumbed to lung cancer but the chant was "Fire Cip" at opportune times in the band songs.

instead we got Barry Collier. At one point after that situation supposedly we were ready to fire Barry and try to hire Self away from Illinois....then he took the KU job. We ended up stuck with Collier for another several years. He had a roughly 48% win percentage and lost a game to Hofstra in his only NIT appearance.

FWIW, the coach with the best winning percentage EVER at NU was Mo Iba with a 62% win percentage. Second was Joe Cipriano with 54%. Considering how we've struggled, we really haven't had all that many head coaches. Iba was run out of town with a "Mo has to go" chant. Cipriano succumbed to lung cancer but the chant was "Fire Cip" at opportune times in the band songs.
Gawd, Iba's teams were hard to stomach. He wasn't called 'slow mo' for nothing. Even after his NCAA game, I was glad he left. But IMO, Collier is the worst we've had. He seemed so incompetent. And yet he had so much success at Butler. I would have thought Danny Nee had the best winning percentage, but I digress. I never was convinced Nee knew much about running an offense. He just got really good players to play for him for a brief time before his schtick got old. But it's so disappointing. Nebraska has never really had a great coach and recruiter. "We" just can't get it done in Lincoln.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Gawd, Iba's teams were hard to stomach. He wasn't called 'slow mo' for nothing. Even after his NCAA game, I was glad he left. But IMO, Collier is the worst we've had. He seemed so incompetent. And yet he had so much success at Butler. I would have thought Danny Nee had the best winning percentage, but I digress. I never was convinced Nee knew much about running an offense. He just got really good players to play for him for a brief time before his schtick got old. But it's so disappointing. Nebraska has never really had a great coach and recruiter. "We" just can't get it done in Lincoln.
I'll have to look again at Nee's record. I might have skipped over him. Yep. Nee was at 57.2%. Thanks for the catch. Most wins all time and 5 NCAA appearances..... Still behind Mo in win percentage. Pretty hard to believe.

Wasn't Doc Sadler a Mo Iba disciple?

Last edited:
I'll have to look again at Nee's record. I might have skipped over him. Yep. Nee was at 57.2%. Thanks for the catch. Most wins all time and 5 NCAA appearances..... Still behind Mo in win percentage. Pretty hard to believe.

Wasn't Doc Sadler a Mo Iba disciple?
You may be thinking of Don Haskins. Doc and Don would speak often. Doc lost an excellent mentor when Don passed away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT