ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tabled the redshirt rule change.

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
I just read that the rules committee tabled the changes to the redshirt rule that would have allowed a player to play in 4 games and still redshirt.

4 seems like a lot to me. IMO it would make more sense to have it be a number of game minutes.
Yeah four games is 1/3 of the season, which might be a reach. One or two games would at least allow a redshirted player to fill in for an injured player. Always thought that was a tough spot for a player - having to give up a whole year of eligibility because a teammate goes down.

Obviously by given a chance to compete on the field and see what they can do in alive game without seating out a year by burning a year of eligibility.

Tabling it means they aren’t going to pass it right now....so nothing is changing

Reactions: scarletred
It's a really good idea. Would benefit the player and the team. Agree that 4 games is far too much.

It would benefit players and the said team. It gives a player unrivaled experience they wouldn’t get in practice. I’m not against this change (if it happens) because all our player could grow that much faster.

2 games allows for beginning of the season to see if a kid can hack it and you need to pull the redshirt or not, or you sneak him in the last couple of games at the end of the season for experience. I don’t come up with many good ideas(ask my old lady), but I feel pretty good about my idea here...especially vs 4 games.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT