ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Pres: Resuming Sports Up to Schools

Yeah that’s not enough games to comment bud
1) I don't remember any specific number of games one has to have attended in order to be able to comment on here.

2) I didn't know that attending 6 games was the same as not having attended any. I guess my elementary school was mistaken when she taught us that 6 was more (and not equal to) 0.

3) I'd bet good money that there are people on this board that have never been to a game, or have been to fewer games than I have.

I can’t tell if you are trolling or serious
He's angry. While I'm a fan, I stopped letting Husker football run my life years ago (i.e. getting headaches after losses, bad moods, etc.). He has a problem with that.

He't not alone. I've been accused of being a fan of Iowa, Colorado, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and UCF at various times on here. I lost track of which camp he's in.

There have been threads 3-4 pages long where his only comment was to throw an insult my way. At least he's made other comments on this one.

CO gov starting to normalize crowds attending games

it's May

I'd be willing to bet a princely sum the SEC, at the very least, returns to football on time, with fans in their stadiums, and quite possibly with zero restrictions.

CO gov starting to normalize crowds attending games

it's May

I'd be willing to bet a princely sum the SEC, at the very least, returns to football on time, with fans in their stadiums, and quite possibly with zero restrictions.

It's almost like "so what" beyond a point though. Most people don't like the SEC or the SEC network in a normal year. If the SEC is the only conference to have a mostly normal season that's really not going to be all that enjoyable to most of the country in the end. sec every Saturday...sec conference championship...all sec playoffs.

Boring. Not going to financially save most of the country sports program either.

Bowlesby of the big 12 already saying positive tests are going to put them out of business. Although in that interview them was CFB and not B12. Hard to see a playoff committee giving any non sec teams that play seven or eight games any serious consideration for anything when the SEC plays probably a full conference slate and at least one OOC.

I'll take a hodge podge of a season especially if it includes some Nebraska games but ultimately I'm curious how satisfy the season will be to many.

Don't get me wrong we're sort of in another great depression type of situation so people will enjoy the games but it's also going to be what are you doing for me now when we get to that moment. With all the angst that goes into whether the fifth best team was really a playoff caliber team in a normal year and all that it's somewhat hard for me to imagine folks will find a season that largely features the SEC and other teams filling in "coalition of the willing" in some random sort of scheduling as fulfilling.
I only assume this is what you are referring to (unfortunately it's not on YouTube) ...
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9e7e4aeb-eca7-4cd4-b745-b06b611487b3

Another great clip from that episode...

If there are no fans in the stands for College Football or the NFL, I think people will need to be prepared for a completely unpredictable season. And I'm not just referring to Nebraska football.

The sport of football is played with so much emotion and pageantry. Games are often won or lost based on the anxiety levels of players who must adapt to the Environment. Hell, even referees are occasionally driven by the crowd.

Eliminating the crowds will create a lot of unexpected results.

Reactions: WHCSC and saluno22
If there are no fans in the stands for College Football or the NFL, I think people will need to be prepared for a completely unpredictable season. And I'm not just referring to Nebraska football.

The sport of football is played with so much emotion and pageantry. Games are often won or lost based on the anxiety levels of players who must adapt to the Environment. Hell, even referees are occasionally driven by the crowd.

Eliminating the crowds will create a lot of unexpected results.

Yah, according to the SI commissioners interviews there a bunch of unknowns that they are sort of planning for. If you don't mind just seeing football on tv, any football....this year will be ok. I think if you are hardcore into the competitive fairness and measuring up of programs, it'll be disappointing.

I think it'll be really wonky if you have some leagues sit out, the SEC plays mostly, and a few other leagues (mainly B1G and B12) who might quarantine and forfeit games if they get positive tests during the season. They are already modifying the competition rules so teams can play each other more than they normally do, likely they anticipate major holes in teams' schedules.

A year in which OSU plays 7 games and Bama plays 13 is not in any sense a normal competitive season. Especially if OSU's 7 games include 3 non-con and 4 league games, and Bama plays anything remotely close to a full conference season. The game counts could be closer, if OSU ends up quarantining for the heart of their conference schedule, and playing all the chumps, it'll call into question SOS at the end of the year.

And questions of whether its a forfeit or "act of God" and how to count it if teams like NU or OSU or OU end up quarantining for 2-3 weeks for positive test results. They are working on random policy and tiebreakers if the game counts are even close, but I'm sure whatever they roll out will cause consternation among the faithful. There's a very real possibility this year ends up being mostly an expensive intramural year with a whole lot of SEC crowing going on.

Surprisingly enough Finebaum is predicting a late start to the season, and he's an SEC guy all the way. I'll just keep waiting and watching.

Last edited:
Yah, according to the SI commissioners interviews there a bunch of unknowns that they are sort of planning for. If you don't mind just seeing football on tv, any football....this year will be ok. I think if you are hardcore into the competitive fairness and measuring up of programs, it'll be disappointing.

I think it'll be really wonky if you have some leagues sit out, the SEC plays mostly, and a few other leagues (mainly B1G and B12) who might quarantine and forfeit games if they get positive tests during the season. They are already modifying the competition rules so teams can play each other more than they normally do, likely they anticipate major holes in teams' schedules.

A year in which OSU plays 7 games and Bama plays 13 is not in any sense a normal competitive season. Especially if OSU's 7 games include 3 non-con and 4 league games, and Bama plays anything remotely close to a full conference season. The game counts could be closer, if OSU ends up quarantining for the heart of their conference schedule, and playing all the chumps, it'll call into question SOS at the end of the year.

And questions of whether its a forfeit or "act of God" and how to count it if teams like NU or OSU or OU end up quarantining for 2-3 weeks for positive test results. They are working on random policy and tiebreakers if the game counts are even close, but I'm sure whatever they roll out will cause consternation among the faithful. There's a very real possibility this year ends up being mostly an expensive intramural year with a whole lot of SEC crowing going on.

Surprisingly enough Finebaum is predicting a late start to the season, and he's an SEC guy all the way. I'll just keep waiting and watching.
Here’s my guess:

we will see as close to a normal season as possible through conf title games for all but the PAC12, and the only variance will be amount of fans allowed in attendance.

players will be quarantined for positive tests, not full teams (exactly like all other team sports resuming (euro soccer) or proposing resumption (NBA)). positive tests won’t shut down the season.

the playoff is the only thing the ncaa controls, therefore the only thing I’m worried about being screwed with. frankly, an all-SEC playoff isn’t much different than what we always get anyway.

like you said, we shall see. I know you’ll continue posting any and all ‘evidence’ there will be no season while I do the opposite.

Here’s my guess:

we will see as close to a normal season as possible through conf title games for all but the PAC12, and the only variance will be amount of fans allowed in attendance.

players will be quarantined for positive tests, not full teams (exactly like all other team sports resuming (euro soccer) or proposing resumption (NBA)). positive tests won’t shut down the season.

the playoff is the only thing the ncaa controls, therefore the only thing I’m worried about being screwed with. frankly, an all-SEC playoff isn’t much different than what we always get anyway.

like you said, we shall see. I know you’ll continue posting any and all ‘evidence’ there will be no season while I do the opposite.

I think there'll be a season I'm just not sure how normal it'll be. We've well moved beyond that point. I'm fine with essentially intramurals being demo'd on tv. But I don't really get wrapped around the axle about that 5th playoff team either.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I have a dumb question. IF, by consensus, this is a natural virus where has it been and why now? If a virus is naturally occurring, and never documented before, how did it just explode and become a pandemic?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT