ADVERTISEMENT

Nabity

marteau

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 29, 2009
emerging from almost nowhere.

does he have the speed we need as an I Back? anyone know how he has looked in practice compared to our more well known I Backs?

Speed is overrated. Look at the 40 numbers Ameer and Rex put up at the combine. Not going to blow anyone's hair back.

The real question is what are his vision and tackle breaking ability like.

OK - so does he have a realistic shot at getting meaningful carries come fall?

If I've learned anything about this staff, is they like to talk about the positives about anyone on the team - and not with any hidden message behind the talk. Which is fine with me.....that's how you build players up. Talk about the good they are doing while working on the not-so-good.

To title the article as "Out of nowhere" into the running back competition is a bit misleading. The context came from a question regarding walk-ons and he gave the answer that Nabity is making plays. Had the question been about the running back competion and Nabity's name was thrown in.....then I think we have a story.

Hope for good things for the kid....always like to see the feel-good-hometown-kid story.

link

Nabity basically won the Class B Elkhorn the state championship by himself when he was a senior. I'm willing to bet Riley & Co. make something good out of him this year. Rushed for 1,532 yards on 239 carries and 24 touchdowns as a senior. Look what Riley made out of Sean Mannion... anyone? Walk-on to potential NFL star? Not trying to compare high school highlights with right-now highlights, but I think this could be a very good thing. Hope he pans out well for the season and our new offense. My guess is he fits this offense much better than Beck's. GBR!

This post was edited on 4/6 11:19 AM by maplesyrup95

This post was edited on 4/6 11:21 AM by maplesyrup95

Not all backs thrive in all systems. This offense is probably going to be a breath of fresh air for some guys. It takes a certain type of runner to have success in a zone running scheme. I would guess the new scheme has more "take the ball, run through this gap" type plays.

It's still a zone based scheme. Riley's bread and butter running play has been the Inside Zone for years. The last couple of seasons, we'd really become predominantly an Outside Zone team to fit Ameer's talents. Inside Zone is simply where the OL blocks the guy in front of him if he's covered. If he's not, then he helps double team with the guy next to him (usually to the play side). Once they get a bit of push with the double team, one of the OL releases to block the LB at the second level. If you go back and watch some Oregon State games when they had good backs, they might run this play 20 times a game. We'll see a lot of this. And when they do utilize the read option or zone read, they will likely do so with IZ blocking. They will still run some Outside Zone too. It will just be less predominant if history is any indication.

The spring game is this weekend. I would suspect that the coaching staff is going to want to see how their "starters" are looking in the new schemes in a "game-like" atmosphere. I just don't think playtime is going to be divvied up equally. If guys like Nabity, Darlington, and Bush see a lot of game time, then maybe they will see playtime in the immediate future.

Inside zone running means "up-the-gut" to me. And if the new staff is going to take some pages out of Milt's "Assembly Line", I just hope our OL has good feet.

He won't be a factor in the Fall unless injuries are a issue. If Wilbon transfers, I think Nabity will push for 3rd string.

Keeping Adam Taylor healthy is a big key though. Kid is the truth. He and Newby are a great duo.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
He won't be a factor in the Fall unless injuries are a issue. If Wilbon transfers, I think Nabity will push for 3rd string.

Keeping Adam Taylor healthy is a big key though. Kid is the truth. He and Newby are a great duo.
Yep

Originally posted by GraveyardFields:

It's still a zone based scheme. Riley's bread and butter running play has been the Inside Zone for years. The last couple of seasons, we'd really become predominantly an Outside Zone team to fit Ameer's talents. Inside Zone is simply where the OL blocks the guy in front of him if he's covered. If he's not, then he helps double team with the guy next to him (usually to the play side). Once they get a bit of push with the double team, one of the OL releases to block the LB at the second level. If you go back and watch some Oregon State games when they had good backs, they might run this play 20 times a game. We'll see a lot of this. And when they do utilize the read option or zone read, they will likely do so with IZ blocking. They will still run some Outside Zone too. It will just be less predominant if history is any indication.
Good info, thanks.

The RB position has enough talent there, assuming that the OL does its job. Not too worried at RB. Someone will step forward, or it will be by committee and that is fine.

The spring practive landscape is littered with players that showed well but never saw the field the following fall.

I know him a little bit and the kid has a great work ethic, a great attitude, is smart and is teachable. He's gotten better every year he's been in the system just through working and maturation. A lot of walk-ons aren't going to compete with scholarship players, but he comes to practice everyday with a winners mentality. That's what the coaches are seeing. He doesn't back down from the challenge. He probably won't be seeing much PT at running back as we've got some really talented guys vying for the spot, but he's making the guys around him work harder and get better. The coaches trust him in that he knows his playbook and can do the little things like pick up blitzes. He'll continue to see a fair amount of work at special teams. Guys like Nabity are good to have on the team. He's like a Trevor Roach. The casual fan undervalues guys like this, but they are valuable role players. It's kind of the epitome of old school Nebraska football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT