ADVERTISEMENT

My take on Moos...

Jun 25, 2021
Big Bill fan of what he did here at WSU and Oregon.

My take after reading the posts, and based on my insights of Bill:
1. Bill is stubbornly loyal to his hires. Ernie Kent (both at WSU and Oregon is an example).
2. Ernie Kent cost WSU a lot of money, in the form of the auto-rollovers Bill gave him.
3. My speculation is somewhere with your fan base pressure is mounting to fire Frost if disappointment sets in.
4. Knowing what I know of Bill he probably flat out said, "I'm not firing anyone, even if he goes winless."
5. Further Bill said, if my hands will be tied then I am not going to be the AD here anymore.

When he left WSU, there was speculation that the WSU President and Bill didn't see eye to eye on spending. It was speculated that this lead to his desire to move on from WSU to Nebraska.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

1. Bill is stubbornly loyal to his hires. Ernie Kent (both at WSU and Oregon is an example).
2. Ernie Kent cost WSU a lot of money, in the form of the auto-rollovers Bill gave him.
3. My speculation is somewhere with your fan base pressure is mounting to fire Frost if disappointment sets in.
4. Knowing what I know of Bill he probably flat out said, "I'm not firing anyone, even if he goes winless."
5. Further Bill said, if my hands will be tied then I am not going to be the AD here anymore.

When he left WSU, there was speculation that the WSU President and Bill didn't see eye to eye on spending. It was speculated that this lead to his desire to move on from WSU to Nebraska.
Nobody was pressuring Moos to fire Frost. Outsiders are reading the situation erroneously. Yes there are people who aren't happy but the overwhelming majority of Husker fans are willing to stick with Frost. There's a relatively small handful of very active posters on this board that want his head but they're in the minority in this state. All you have to do is spend a little time at the small town bars to know what the deal is. Frost is safe.

All you have to do is spend a little time at the small town bars to know what the deal is. Frost is safe.
Or the small town gyms. I live outside a small Iowa town and a guy comes in occasionally all decked out in Cornhusker garb (which I'm sure POs the Hawkeye fans). He pounds the iron pretty well for a 75-year old. I talked to him after the Rutgers game and he told me Scott was finally turning it around from the bare cupboard Riley left him with. I had to choke back a laugh. Every time I talk to him after a loss it is always the ref's fault, the BIG, the weather, players "losing focus", etc. Never Frost. So I agree lots of folks are being patient with Scott Frost. But the people at gyms and bars really don't matter. It is the butts in seats (or not in seats) and major donors that matter and it is undeniable they are getting restless.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Or the small town gyms. I live outside a small Iowa town and a guy comes in occasionally all decked out in Cornhusker garb (which I'm sure POs the Hawkeye fans). He pounds the iron pretty well for a 75-year old. I talked to him after the Rutgers game and he told me Scott was finally turning it around from the bare cupboard Riley left him with. I had to choke back a laugh. Every time I talk to him after a loss it is always the ref's fault, the BIG, the weather, players "losing focus", etc. Never Frost. So I agree lots of folks are being patient with Scott Frost. But the people at gyms and bars really don't matter. It is the butts in seats (or not in seats) and major donors that matter and it is undeniable they are getting restless.
Exactly, Frost is safe for now but if we don't see improvement soon, that will change.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I have multiple good friends and family members who are "boosters of substance". I'm on a first name basis with Jim Pillen. While the losing is disappointing they all think things are in place now to win consistently. The one thing that keeps getting brought up is QB play and I guarantee you that is an issue for lots of P5 teams in America. IMO, you get better QB play and things are way different. Pillen knows that. The boosters that matter know that. Most importantly Frost knows that. He was extremely frustrated with Martinez these past 2 seasons but we saw what the other options were. Not great. Smothers or Haarberg need to be good.

Frost shouldn’t be safe. Is there any coach who has won a national championship at a blue blood program that didn’t have a winning season by year 3

Frost shouldn’t be safe. Is there any coach who has won a national championship at a blue blood program that didn’t have a winning season by year 3
HIs buyout makes him safe for now. As long as Tom is alive, Frost won't be fired. Frost would resign before they fired him. Not many coaches who have taken over a NC blue blood program have had to take it over in the kind of mess that Frost found this one. He had to completely overhaul the roster. He's got the pieces now if he can just get good QB play. Go ask Jimmy Harbaugh what he would do for a good QB right now. The QB whisperer has had a parade of crappy QB play longer than Frost. Hell give Frost Tommy Armstrong and he probably at least goes bowling 3 years in a row.

I have multiple good friends and family members who are "boosters of substance". I'm on a first name basis with Jim Pillen. While the losing is disappointing they all think things are in place now to win consistently. The one thing that keeps getting brought up is QB play and I guarantee you that is an issue for lots of P5 teams in America. IMO, you get better QB play and things are way different. Pillen knows that. The boosters that matter know that. Most importantly Frost knows that. He was extremely frustrated with Martinez these past 2 seasons but we saw what the other options were. Not great. Smothers or Haarberg need to be good.
Scott needs more time. He simply has not had enough time to effectively recruit and develop a QB, let alone QB depth. Damn Riley!!!

Scott needs more time. He simply has not had enough time to effectively recruit and develop a QB, let alone QB depth. Damn Riley!!!
I have always liked the Moos hire also.

My read on this situation is Stewart has been identified for some time as the next AD and something moved up the timeline like job inquiries. Fits with maximizing the Moos's buyout.

Last edited:
Frost's QB recruiting has been questionable at best but he's not the only P5 head coach who has had issues with that. When you look at Martinez, my Goodness that kid has talent. By all accounts he is a very bright kid but damn he's struggled between the ears at times. IMO, part of the recruiting issue is rooted in having to start a true freshman to begin with. Once that guy gets entrenched it probably scared off a lot of talented kids who didn't want to try to unseat him. Why go to a struggling program where you might have to sit behind an entrenched starter for 3 years when you can go to one where the starter is nearing the end of his eligibility? QB play has to get fixed. It's the most important position on your team and can easily be the difference between 4-8 or 8-4.

Yeah, but are you on a last name basis with Jim Pillen? And do you heap praise on him every time you talk to him about the great game he had against OU in '78? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I have always liked the Moos hire also.

My read on this situation is Stewart has been identified for some time as the next AD and something moved up the timeline like job inquiries. Fits with maximizing the Moos's buyout.
I hope not and we're not buying Moos out. He retired.

Yeah, but are you on a last name basis with Jim Pillen? And do you heap praise on him every time you talk to him about the great game he had against OU in '78? ;)
I've known Jim since undergrad. We had classes together. We're not close but I see him every now and then. Not once have we talked about his college career. I know how he thinks and I've heard his opinion on what a mess Frost inherited and how long it was going to take to fix it. He's an extremely smart guy and knows how to run an organization.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Frost's QB recruiting has been questionable at best but he's not the only P5 head coach who has had issues with that. When you look at Martinez, my Goodness that kid has talent. By all accounts he is a very bright kid but damn he's struggled between the ears at times. IMO, part of the recruiting issue is rooted in having to start a true freshman to begin with. Once that guy gets entrenched it probably scared off a lot of talented kids who didn't want to try to unseat him. Why go to a struggling program where you might have to sit behind an entrenched starter for 3 years when you can go to one where the starter is nearing the end of his eligibility? QB play has to get fixed. It's the most important position on your team and can easily be the difference between 4-8 or 8-4.
It sounds like you are blaming Riley for our quarterback problems now. Geez. There’s only one person who is responsible and that’s Frost. The only other person who might be worthy of blame is Verduzco.

Last edited:
Nobody was pressuring Moos to fire Frost. Outsiders are reading the situation erroneously. Yes there are people who aren't happy but the overwhelming majority of Husker fans are willing to stick with Frost. There's a relatively small handful of very active posters on this board that want his head but they're in the minority in this state. All you have to do is spend a little time at the small town bars to know what the deal is. Frost is safe.
I’m not even concerned with what posters on this board think about Moos. The only people that have any effect on whether he stays on or leaves are the big money boosters. I personally don’t think they want Frost out as HC. I think they all want another year to see where this ship is sailing. So why leave now? He isn’t being forced out. he is voluntarily leaving.

Honestly I don't think any of that pre-Nebraska history is the reason. Bill either did something personally out of step to hasten his "retirement" sooner rather than later OR the University just wanted to act quickly to secure a longer term replacement since Bill turned 70 already.

y

This is the same thing that was said halfway into Riley's third year. This board has remarkably low standards that the majority of fans in the state don't agree with. There's a lot more real Nebraska fans who are pissed at the way things are going or have lost interest in following the team. I do think Frost deserved to be fired after the last 3 seasons, but I said I'd give him one more chance to turn things around. The problem with that is Frost seems to be as comfortable as ever with where things are at. He seems to have little sense of urgency to actually improve things, and I'm doubting we see changes in the results.

This is the same thing that was said halfway into Riley's third year. This board has remarkably low standards that the majority of fans in the state don't agree with. There's a lot more real Nebraska fans who are pissed at the way things are going or have lost interest in following the team. I do think Frost deserved to be fired after the last 3 seasons, but I said I'd give him one more chance to turn things around. The problem with that is Frost seems to be as comfortable as ever with where things are at. He seems to have little sense of urgency to actually improve things, and I'm doubting we see changes in the results.

I have some issues with SF but he took over a clown show especially strength and conditioning.. It has taken him 3 years to recruit the lineman on both sides of the ball mostly offensively to be successful in this conference.. Look who is starting this season on the Oline the youngest line in school history..

SF and Verduczo have been disappointing developing quarterbacks but I’m anxious to see what Martinez can do this year, people might be quit surprise..

The biggest blunder is special teams this is his fault and he’s the one that needs to fix this ASAP..

Hoping he spends more time being a head coach than the OC too..

Not as restless as you think, my uncle is one of them. They still believe in Frost.

Last edited:
I have some issues with SF but he took over a clown show especially strength and conditioning.. It has taken him 3 years to recruit the lineman on both sides of the ball mostly offensively to be successful in this conference.. Look who is starting this season on the Oline the youngest line in school history..

SF and Verduczo have been disappointing developing quarterbacks but I’m anxious to see what Martinez can do this year, people might be quit surprise..

The biggest blunder is special teams this is his fault and he’s the one that needs to fix this ASAP..

You keep putting the blame on Riley instead of Frost. Riley is gone. He didn't harm the program as much as people say. This is on Frost. Maybe he should have recruited more than one kid who could play the QB position.

This is Year 4. Time to hold Coach Frost accountable. These are all his guys. I can't believe I'm saying that 6 games would ever be acceptable, but with Frost that would be an improvement. He doesn't get a forever pass because of Riley. Stop enabling him.

I've known Jim since undergrad. We had classes together. We're not close but I see him every now and then. Not once have we talked about his college career. I know how he thinks and I've heard his opinion on what a mess Frost inherited and how long it was going to take to fix it. He's an extremely smart guy and knows how to run an organization.
Does he have any eligibility left? We can use him.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
You keep putting the blame on Riley instead of Frost. Riley is gone. He didn't harm the program as much as people say. This is on Frost. Maybe he should have recruited more than one kid who could play the QB position.

This is Year 4. Time to hold Coach Frost accountable. These are all his guys. I can't believe I'm saying that 6 games would ever be acceptable, but with Frost that would be an improvement. He doesn't get a forever pass because of Riley. Stop enabling him.
Frost did recruit one kid who can play QB.

He’s 6’6” & wears #10!

I never said this isn’t on Frost.. I said he inherited a clown show and I have my own issues with him that I pointed out..
But we’re no longer Pac12 looking football team which harmed our football program after Pelini left physical football wasn’t is Riley’s vocabulary and SF pointed that out his first year..

1) Special teams
2) play calling as being a head coach ( he shouldn’t do both)
3) not very well discipline football team ( Riley and Pelini had issues with this too).

It sounds like you are blaming Riley for our quarterback problems now. Geez. There’s only one person who is responsible and that’s Frost. The only other person who might be worthy of blame is Verduzco.
Well Riley I think had a pretty good guy for his offense with Gebbia. I think losing Gebbia probably cost us 2 games that first year and maybe the next. IF he had stayed he would have started a fair number of games and may very well have beat Martinez out. I don't know if there's anything Frost could have done to get Gebbia stick around once he decided to go with the bigger and faster option at QB. Gebbia coupled with going with a strictly athlete in Luke in that next class really screwed us. Let's hope Smothers or Haarberg turn in to better back up options.

Does he have any eligibility left? We can use him.
He was too small and too slow to play DB when he did back in the 70s. I don't think he could help us right now. He's about 30 lbs lighter and an inch shorter than he was back then. The guy is an extremely successful ag businessman.

Reactions: rrthusker

Our depth charts were a wreck when Frost took over at every position except maybe QB and a couple of O line spots. Our DB and linebacker situation was a joke. Frost has screwed up the QB recruiting all on his own. I'm hoping he fixed it with these last couple of kids. One thing is sure, a NEW QB recruit doesn't see anything on the roster that guarantees he can't win the job within 2 years. That wasn't the case after Adrian's freshman year.

The inherited mess excuse should be gone. Still absolutely blows my mind that so many people think Frost inherited a worse mess than Matt Campbell did at Iowa State from a program that has zero history, very few three star recruits, let alone no four and five stars, hadn’t won a conference championships in the 1920s, followed Paul Rhodes who was a poor recruiter, and on and on. But somehow the mighty blue blood Husker program was in a worse position than Iowa State? Matt Campbell at the same point in coaching, had a quarterback performing, had QB depth, had an outstanding running back, very good line play, good defense, and a top 10 team.

Our depth charts were a wreck when Frost took over at every position except maybe QB and a couple of O line spots. Our DB and linebacker situation was a joke. Frost has screwed up the QB recruiting all on his own. I'm hoping he fixed it with these last couple of kids. One thing is sure, a NEW QB recruit doesn't see anything on the roster that guarantees he can't win the job within 2 years. That wasn't the case after Adrian's freshman year.

I believe that Riley inherited problems with depth at key positions. We all know that Pelini hated to recruit and left Riley with significant personnel challenges.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
I believe that Riley inherited problems with depth at key positions. We all know that Pelini hated to recruit and left Riley with significant personnel challenges.

What key positions ? Not saying it wasn’t perfect but Pelini had to change defensive personal to fit the Big 10 when he had Big 12 personal defending the spread offense’s to more power football teams, so that took at least 3 recruiting class‘s..

He had decent receivers coming in both offensive and defensive lines were probably average at best and he left here with both lines average at best..

Good thing he at least had Tommy Armstrong when he was healthy for two years because he has been our best QB over the past 7 years..

I think all the things about strength and conditioning before Frost came was a bunch of bs. If anything, it might be more of a clown show now. All of these guys have some base level of fitness coming in. It shouldn't take more than a year, maybe two at most to establish a S&C program that can compete with the rest of the teams in the conference.

The offensive line is another excuse. You could tell coming in Frost put low priority on the OL, so I'm not going to give a 3 year pass for that. I also think coaching is the biggest issue. You can tell we never got as much out of guys like Jaimes or Farniok as we should have. I don't think this next crop of lineman will be much different with the same coaching staff.

You can tell we never got as much out of guys like Jaimes or Farniok as we should have. I don't think this next crop of lineman will be much different with the same coaching staff.
Jaimes may not have played up to his full potential at NU, but he at least had a solid career. On the other hand, the staff's coddling of Farniok was always a mystery to me. If there was ever a 3-year starter who took more plays off than he did, I (fortunately) don't remember them.

The single most important guy for your team is your starting QB and Bo left Riley a pretty darned good one in Tommy Armstrong. In addition I think Barney left Cav a better O oline than some people thought.

I think all the things about strength and conditioning before Frost came was a bunch of bs. If anything, it might be more of a clown show now. All of these guys have some base level of fitness coming in. It shouldn't take more than a year, maybe two at most to establish a S&C program that can compete with the rest of the teams in the conference.

The offensive line is another excuse. You could tell coming in Frost put low priority on the OL, so I'm not going to give a 3 year pass for that. I also think coaching is the biggest issue. You can tell we never got as much out of guys like Jaimes or Farniok as we should have. I don't think this next crop of lineman will be much different with the same coaching staff.
WTF are you talking about Frost "putting a low priority on the O line?" They beat the bushes late to try to find P5 O linemen. With the number on the roster though they thought they might be okay. They weren't. The strength and conditioning had been optional for 3 years. FREAKING OPTIONAL. Yes there were a couple of talented kids but man we were weak up front.

Reactions: scarletred
Jaimes may not have played up to his full potential at NU, but he at least had a solid career. On the other hand, the staff's coddling of Farniok was always a mystery to me. If there was ever a 3-year starter who took more plays off than he did, I (fortunately) don't remember them.
plays off, holding and false starts. He seemed better when they moved him inside but dang that guy drew a lot of flags.

The guys on 1620 yesterday commented there is literally no precedent for a D1 college FB coach turning things around after struggling his first 4 years at a school. 2021 has to be the season where Frost, staff and players show what they're capable of and get it done.

It's what we all want. Time to show it on the field. No excuses. I want to go back to being outraged if we don't win 9 games.

The inherited mess excuse should be gone. Still absolutely blows my mind that so many people think Frost inherited a worse mess than Matt Campbell did at Iowa State from a program that has zero history, very few three star recruits, let alone no four and five stars, hadn’t won a conference championships in the 1920s, followed Paul Rhodes who was a poor recruiter, and on and on. But somehow the mighty blue blood Husker program was in a worse position than Iowa State? Matt Campbell at the same point in coaching, had a quarterback performing, had QB depth, had an outstanding running back, very good line play, good defense, and a top 10 team.
Most people think Paul Rhoads had left a decent roster with maybe the best work culture they possessed since McCarney. Campbell is an exceptional football coach but other than OU, the B12 has pretty much been a sh## show. ISU has benefited greatly from Texass's incompetence both on the field and in recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT