ADVERTISEMENT

Mullen to Florida....

cdriftt24

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 29, 2012
Early reports are Dan Mullen is the target that is wanted at Florida. Also an interesting note, he has the same agent as Jim McElwain. Rumors are he didn't try to mess with getting Jim his full buyout because he knew Mullen was going to be the target as the new Florida HC? Read it on Rotoworld.com. Take it for what it's worth. GBR

Early reports are Dan Mullen is the target that is wanted at Florida. Also an interesting note, he has the same agent as Jim McElwain. Rumors are he didn't try to mess with getting Jim his full buyout because he knew Mullen was going to be the target as the new Florida HC? Read it on Rotoworld.com. Take it for what it's worth. GBR

Nice, sure hope your sources are right!

Report: Gators eye Dan Mullen for HC vacancy
133905.jpg

SB Nation's Steven Godfrey and Alex Kirshner report that Mississippi State HC Dan Mullen is the "clear early favorite" among Florida’s administration for the Gators HC opening.

The fit is natural and obvious. Florida AD Scott Stricklin and Mullen spent years working together at Mississippi State. Prior to that, the 45-year-old Mullen was the Gators’ offensive coordinator for two national championship teams, in 2006 and 2008. Brett McMurphy’s report on Florida's parting of the ways with HC Jim McElwain revealed this interesting note as it pertains to the Gators' potential interest in Mullen: "[McElwain's agent Jimmy Sexton] doesn’t want to battle Florida over collecting [McElwain's] entire $12.9 million buyout because he also represents Mississippi State’s Dan Mullen, a top candidate to replace McElwain, or could be involved in other future Florida hirings." Mullen, who's been at Mississippi State since 2009, is 67-44 (.604) as the Bulldogs' head coach. He's made a bowl every year since missing the postseason in his first season on the job, and his 6-2 Bulldogs are eligible to go bowling once again this winter.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
It makes the most sense and I think he would do a great job there.

Musical chair coaching change in the SEC. Bielma to MSU!

Pretty much expected he will be their topic target. Not a shock here.

They should target Mullen. Way safer choice than SF. I understand why we want SF, but Florida? IDK, seems to me like they could make a safer choice.

Seems the agent for both coaches has a conflict of interest here. I doubt McElwain would just let his agent piss away 12 million without a fight. I suspect the reasons lie elsewhere, as in McElwain knows he lied about the death threats and did not want a lengthy public fight that would cast him in a very bad light. Not good for future employment

I wonder about the accuracy of that. The part about McIlwain's agent not wanting to battle UF for the full buyout because of representing Mullen is saying "hey McIlwain, sue me for breach of contract." Plus I don't know which state law is applicable to the contract, but there might also be a breach of fiduciary duty there, which opens up the possibility of all kinds of additional damages.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No way. There are a bunch of posters in a different thread saying UF wants Frost. I will go with our posters instead of SB Nation. By the way, Frost can damage the orange crop in FL.

Reactions: EDKCORN and timnsun
Clear conflict of interest for the agent. I'd be pissed if I were McElwain and my agent wasn't trying to get me everything I felt I was owed.
Well yes, duh.

But any conflict can be waived, and without being in the room with them there's any number of ways this came out clean, negotiated between the two of them - if it all happened that way anyway. So many assumptions.

And if I were the agent would I take seriously a threat that the AD would not consider another of my clients for the HC job if the current coach didn't take a haircut on the buyout? Would I believe that Florida would take a pass on possibly its top candidate just to spite the soon to be former coach? Meh.

There is no way in God's green Earth that Jimmy Sexton compromised one client for another client. Much more likely that Sexton and Florida started discussions, and Florida made clear that McElwain was going to be smeared in any pissing contest. Since McElwain is 55 years old and would be leaving with a relatively decent record (2 SEC Championship appearances on his resume), McElwain should think about his next stop and with 6 of the 12MM in his pocket (plus a promise to pay the remaining $1MM that he still owes CSU) and then get a job for the next 10 years of his life as opposed to being blackballed with the dirty laundry that would come out.

While Mullen is an interesting hire, I would have thought Brohm would get a bigger look in Gainesville based on the Frost Factors (former QB at the school leading a supposedly innovative offense). Maybe Nebraska is so toxic that we are not only killing jobs for our coaches but for coaches at other schools.

Florida fans want a big name proven head coach, but I think Joe Moorhead (PSU Offensive Coordinator) would be a great hire there since they love innovative offensive coaches.

Florida is going to hire a coach that will run an offense that is predicated in speed because that is what they have an abundance of in Florida high schools. It will be a zone read based offense period.

Please please please take Frost. Would rather have a proven coach not part onthe tradition coalition

Tell me what “proven” coach would come to this dumpster fire, has been program? Especially if Riley just happens to make it to 7-5 this season and gets fired. That’d be 4 coaches fired with winning records since 2003. Good freaking luck.

Reactions: trwebe
Tell me what “proven” coach would come to this dumpster fire, has been program? Especially if Riley just happens to make it to 7-5 this season and gets fired. That’d be 4 coaches fired with winning records since 2003. Good freaking luck.
Dumpster Fire? Get out with that nonsense. Every open job has some issues, but this is a good situation. We have won 9 or more games 8 of the last 9 years, have great facilities, great tradition, a great AD, great fan support, great conference, an all time blue blood program. No reason for self loathing.

No way. There are a bunch of posters in a different thread saying UF wants Frost. I will go with our posters instead of SB Nation. By the way, Frost can damage the orange crop in FL.
Totally agree. Can’t link the article, but everybody in Florida wants Frost. Boosters are even going over the AD’s head.

The Mullen hire has to be fake news…

Dumpster Fire? Get out with that nonsense. Every open job has some issues, but this is a good situation. We have won 9 or more games 8 of the last 9 years, have great facilities, great tradition, a great AD, great fan support, great conference, an all time blue blood program. No reason for self loathing.

I’m a diehard fan but I’m not stupid. All that tradition you talk about is meaningless to recruits who were never alive to see it.

My point is if you’re going to say Scott Frost shouldn’t come here because he’s not proven but do you think proven coaches are going to come here after you fired 4 in 14 years with winning records? That’s laughable.

Oh and perception is reality, and the national perception is we are a dumpster fire right now

Reactions: Minn1954
Totally agree. Can’t link the article, but everybody in Florida wants Frost. Boosters are even going over the AD’s head.

The Mullen hire has to be fake news…

Kind of like Nebraska hiring the UCF AD?

According to OddShark.... Scott Frost is now Even money to be the next HC at Florida. Jumping Mullen.... Just an FYI. And take it for what it's worth

I’m a diehard fan but I’m not stupid. All that tradition you talk about is meaningless to recruits who were never alive to see it.

My point is if you’re going to say Scott Frost shouldn’t come here because he’s not proven but do you think proven coaches are going to come here after you fired 4 in 14 years with winning records? That’s laughable.

Oh and perception is reality, and the national perception is we are a dumpster fire right now
Dumpster fire sounds right. Especially on the field.

Now touting string of 9 win seasons? How far we have fallen!

Now touting string of 9 win seasons? How far we have fallen!

I didn't say it was some sort of gold standard, simply that this is far from a "dumpster fire", especially compared to most open jobs. Ole Miss is headed for probation, Florida's coach is receiving death threats, the Tennessee team has totally quit and their fans are out for blood, Oregon State's coach quit on the team in the middle of the season, et, etc

I didn't say it was some sort of gold standard, simply that this is far from a "dumpster fire", especially compared to most open jobs. Ole Miss is headed for probation, Florida's coach is receiving death threats, the Tennessee team has totally quit and their fans are out for blood, Oregon State's coach quit on the team in the middle of the season, et, etc

Agree for the most part, but there were no actual death threats at Florida, that is why he is gone now.

Why would Florida want to hire Dan Mullen?

Transferring within the same conference requires Mullen to sit out two years!

Can you imagine if he brought all of his assistants with him so they had to wait two years as well!

Oh wait, that is for the players... the coaches don't have to follow the same rules... my bad! :D

Coming in peace here with a question...if Riley is gone at seasons end & SF goes to Florida would you all be interested in Jim McElwain. He has tremendous success out west!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT