ADVERTISEMENT

Monster Wildfire Developing in SoCal

Near Big Bear. Can see the smoke cloud from very far away. It's almost 110 degrees up in that area today. Say a prayer for those people.
Drive around the countryside around Napa and all of the "nature preserve" areas and you'll understand why they have such horrible wild fires. Who would want a nice vineyard or grazing land when you can have thousands of acres of brush growing uncontrolled on rough hillsides....... My bother-in-law lives near LA and he says whenever the NFS wants to do brush control the "environmentalists" step in and get court injunctions to stop them.

I feel for people in it's path. Stay safe.

May I politely ask how it can be labeled a "Monster Wildfire" if it's just developing?

Drive around the countryside around Napa and all of the "nature preserve" areas and you'll understand why they have such horrible wild fires. Who would want a nice vineyard or grazing land when you can have thousands of acres of brush growing uncontrolled on rough hillsides....... My bother-in-law lives near LA and he says whenever the NFS wants to do brush control the "environmentalists" step in and get court injunctions to stop them.

That's up north. This is in a horrible spot for a fire. One of the windiest, driest places at the base of the mountain. Plenty of dry vegetation to fuel it after an abnormal spring where it rained a lot.

I feel for people in it's path. Stay safe.

May I politely ask how it can be labeled a "Monster Wildfire" if it's just developing?

I did not notice the smoke cloud this morning watering the yard. I stepped outside to get lunch and saw a cumulonimbus smoke cloud straight out of a Nebraska thunderstorm. This thing is visible from a couple hundred miles away and read post above.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I did not notice the smoke cloud this morning watering the yard. I stepped outside to get lunch and saw a cumulonimbus smoke cloud straight out of a Nebraska thunderstorm. This thing is visible from a couple hundred miles away and read post above.
Hmmmm, sounds like it has the potential to be devastating. Best wishes to the Americans in its way.

Reactions: huntered
Near Big Bear. Can see the smoke cloud from very far away. It's almost 110 degrees up in that area today. Say a prayer for those people.

It is in Cherry Valley closer to Beaumont and Oak Glen.

I’m sure they’ll probably sue the power company even though the power company isn’t allowed to clear dead trees and brush

Reactions: huntered
Here we go again. Sad. I really love some of the California scenery but you couldn't pay me enough to live in that state on a permanent basis for a myriad of reasons.

That's up north. This is in a horrible spot for a fire. One of the windiest, driest places at the base of the mountain. Plenty of dry vegetation to fuel it after an abnormal spring where it rained a lot.
I realize that. It was just an illustration of what goes on in California. I've driven around the countryside around L.A. as well. It's just a glorified desert with wild uncontrolled brush. I'm not sure what people expect to happen out there.

Reactions: GretnaShawn

i have a firefighter friend in Northern California (Vacaville) out there that said the same thing you said—- he said it’s insanity ....

Prayers sent that this fire is stopped. The state has so many great people but various reasons beyond their control it's been a tough year.

Reactions: rrthusker
I've read that the Western part of the US is now entering into a mega drought expected to last at least 20 years. They've had them in the past that lasted upwards of fifty years

Several years ago when there fires all over the U.S., can't remember the year I was watching a government official talk about them and he made a comment about terrorists starting.many of them. That was the first and only time I ever heard that and it stuck in my head because it made very good sense. True or not, then or now I have no clue. Nothing could be much easier for those bent in that direction

Several years ago when there fires all over the U.S., can't remember the year I was watching a government official talk about them and he made a comment about terrorists starting.many of them. That was the first and only time I ever heard that and it stuck in my head because it made very good sense. True or not, then or now I have no clue. Nothing could be much easier for those bent in that direction
Bad people have started fires for various reasons certainly. But places like SoCal who build homes in the middle of a Tinderbox perplex me. They are completely unwilling to address the actual needs within nature of letting that buildup to burn off. There's an amazing documentary about Big Sur on Netflix I watched a couple years ago. Fire is necessary for regeneration in future growth. There are pine trees that will not release their seeds outside of fire.

Bad people have started fires for various reasons certainly. But places like SoCal who build homes in the middle of a Tinderbox perplex me. They are completely unwilling to address the actual needs within nature of letting that buildup to burn off. There's an amazing documentary about Big Sur on Netflix I watched a couple years ago. Fire is necessary for regeneration in future growth. There are pine trees that will not release their seeds outside of fire.

There are thousands of fire dependent species in our country. The fire management problem in our country is so complex it's almost impossible to get it right. As someone with a natural resources degree who has fought wildfires and done prescribed burning I have a pretty good grasp on these situations.

One of the biggest problems is that as a country for many decades we had a no fire philosophy. That threw everything out of whack. Now we have more and burn people living in fire prone areas. It's not so simple to just say do more prescribed burning. With the fuel loads out of whack those prescribed burns often can be very dangerous. You throw in smoke management and it gets difficult to even get the fire lit.

Yep, this is true. Fire is actually very natural and necessary in California.

Here we go again. Sad. I really love some of the California scenery but you couldn't pay me enough to live in that state on a permanent basis for a myriad of reasons.

Yeah, I hear ya. I lived in California for 22 years and miss it like another hole in my head. The middle class figured out what was going on there & is moving away like greased lightning.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Wasn’t it in the 1950’s or 60’s California actually had a law that you had to clear brush and tall grass and weeds so many feet away from your property to help control wildlife?

Still do amigo.

About an hour and a half.
Might be time to relocate to Nebraska. Right now the migration rate for Seattle is 10:1 outward. My brother-in-law is kind of stuck out there right now due to some family circumstances. He's been saying for 20 years he can't wait to get out and yet he's still there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT