ADVERTISEMENT

Money is not a problem - Trev Alberts

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
If we are willing to pay 7.5 million to Frost to not coach 2 more games how much per year should we be willing to offer the future of the program to coach 13+ games per year?

if I am a high level coach I’m asking for a lot more than 7.5 per year

Yes I realize you don’t prorate like that

I know what other blue blood programs are willing to pay - are we?

The AD said money isn’t an issue
We threw a bunch of money at Frost. How did that work out. There are some very good young coaches who will work for what Frost was making OR less. The “name” guys some are throwing out aren’t likely to be interested unless we guaranteed them insane money. Personally I cringe at the thought of paying ANYBODY Mel Tucker money.

We threw a bunch of money at Frost. How did that work out. There are some very good young coaches who will work for what Frost was making OR less. The “name” guys some are throwing out aren’t likely to be interested unless we guaranteed them insane money. Personally I cringe at the thought of paying ANYBODY Mel Tucker money.
I agree. We are going to be fiscally responsible.

I agree. We are going to be fiscally responsible.
I can see paying up for a proven coach but what MSU did was nuts. Hell what we gave Frost was nuts. We could of had multiple solid guys for half that. The fact that Frost demanded that kind of money to come home should have been our first sign.

If we want a sniff at the playoffs we will have to shell out 13 million a year on NIL money. It's no longer just what we pay a coach.

We will be paying Mel Tucker money to someone.

If MJ retains the job.. what do you pay him going forward?

Do you pay him what Scott was making or do you base it on how many wins he gets this season?

Let's say he goes 7-2 from here out and we qualify for a bowl game. He's probably going to keep the job. Could you pay him the equivalent of what Scott's renegotiated contract was worth? Or do you have to go to a 5Mil per year deal? Or do you pay more?

If money is not a problem, then budget for big time Offensive and Defensive Coordinators for the next coach if that is the direction they go.

It will be interesting to see how the season goes under MJ, Whipple, and Chinander.

Do you pay him what Scott was making or do you base it on how many wins he gets this season?

Let's say he goes 7-2 from here out and we qualify for a bowl game. He's probably going to keep the job. Could you pay him the equivalent of what Scott's renegotiated contract was worth? Or do you have to go to a 5Mil per year deal? Or do you pay more?
If MJ gets the job, lower salary than Frost.

(A lower base but big incentives for wins).

If they do a “national search” and just give it to Mickey the. We’ll probably get him at a discount. Kinda like they did when they hired Bo, Nebraska was paying Bo half of what Ferentz was making although the stature of NUs job should have demanded a salary equivalent or higher than Iowas.

If they go with an outside hire they are going to have to compete with whoever and that could cost more than we’d like to pay.

I actually don’t agree with Dingle, frost should totally ask for what he coulda got on the creek market. At the time we were competing with other top tier programs for him and there’s no reason he needed to take a discount down to three mill or whatever. Sure it allocates more money for assistants but we had the money even at five million if Scott were to go after a million a year type of coordinator

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think Trev wants to give the job to Mickey
He fired Frost at the lowest point in order to give MJ a few weeks with the team before hitting the big ten season where we may very well win a few games

even at 2-3 big ten wins Trev can make a case that the team was a mess and he was impressed with how they responded to MJ

he can also get MJ at a big discount when compared to an actual national search because there will be no competition for his services

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Everybody in the B1G can pay big money the issue for Knebbers is finding someone who wants to take over that dumpster fire.

We are not going 7-2. We will be lucky to win 5 at best. Bowl game would be nice at this point.

We are not going 7-2. We will be lucky to win 5 at best. Bowl game would be nice at this point.
Everyone has their own opinion, and that's valid. I think we make a bowl at minimum.. I think we do better than that actually, so 7-2 is not my high mark, but sort of my base expectation.

If we want a sniff at the playoffs we will have to shell out 13 million a year on NIL money. It's no longer just what we pay a coach.

We will be paying Mel Tucker money to someone.
When you say we please reference your Iowa Hawkeyes

New coach will probably make between 8 and 9M annually. Thats the current market.
Until they realize no matter how much you pay them you’re not winning with mid 3* recruits. No coach is changing that here. Parity hurt Neb more than any school in the country, IMO.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
If money is not a problem, then budget for big time Offensive and Defensive Coordinators for the next coach if that is the direction they go.

It will be interesting to see how the season goes under MJ, Whipple, and Chinander.
I think you will be able to mark of Chinander after the presser tomorrow.

I think you will be able to mark of Chinander after the presser tomorrow.
Trev answered a question basically saying that MJ indeed has the power to change guys on the staff, but that he wasn't aware of any imminent staff changes, only some structural changes.. what that exactly means, I don't know, maybe new scheme or new responsibilities, but it didn't sound like Trev was expecting any new staff changes.

7.5 plus bonuses for above and beyond say 9 wins/yr

Trev answered a question basically saying that MJ indeed has the power to change guys on the staff, but that he wasn't aware of any imminent staff changes, only some structural changes.. what that exactly means, I don't know, maybe new scheme or new responsibilities, but it didn't sound like Trev was expecting any new staff changes.
We have nine games left , I don’t think you can fire anyone because you have nobody to come in to replace them. I believe Chins will not be calling the Defense the rest of the season that’s all.

I think you pay him 4M a year to start, but build in some big time bonuses. Also, you get him some monster assistants and recruiters.

Until they realize no matter how much you pay them you’re not winning with mid 3* recruits. No coach is changing that here. Parity hurt Neb more than any school in the country, IMO.
We have 1 5 star and 22 4 stars on the roster. 4th most talented team in the Big according to 247. It's coaching. Scheme, development and personell decisions under Frost was horrible.

We have 1 5 star and 22 4 stars on the roster. 4th most talented team in the Big according to 247. It's coaching. Scheme, development and personell decisions under Frost was horrible.
The 5* is a transfer who was way overrated. The 4* are 85% 5.8 4*. So just a notch above 3*. Don’t be fooled by the numbers. Show we 3 of the 4* that were recruited, not offered, but recruited by Bama, OSU, Georgia, OU, etc.? My point is obvious, a 4* from Neb, who we’ll land 95% of the time and prob the number 1 recruit in our state vs the 27th 4* out Georgia who they didn’t even offer.

The 5* is a transfer who was way overrated. The 4* are 85% 5.8 4*. So just a notch above 3*. Don’t be fooled by the numbers. Show we 3 of the 4* that were recruited, not offered, but recruited by Bama, OSU, Georgia, OU, etc.? My point is obvious, a 4* from Neb, who we’ll land 95% of the time and prob the number 1 recruit in our state vs the 27th 4* out Georgia who they didn’t even offer.
Stupid point , do you realize there are teams in the top 10 that their players we never even approached by Bama , Georgia etc..

If money isn't a problem, I'd like to see us pay top dollar for the absolute best candidate we can get, (not saying that hasn't always been the case, but Mike Riley... lets be real here). Then give a real big boy budget to coordinators and see what we can do.

Ofc, I'm just a dumb internet warrior and not in any way qualified to be an AD, but I'd have to think that its our best option if we can get someone we think is worth the money. Why not try to lure someone with $10M a year and a "unlimited" assistant $ pool.

Trev saying money is not a problem is a signal to all potential coaching candidates including the high paid ones that they could be considered. I'm sure many agents are making phone calls to Lincoln. Especially you'd think the agents for coaches who are conferences with uncertain futures.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT