ADVERTISEMENT

Mo Barry on Carriker

Oldie but goodie

Redshirt Freshman
May 15, 2018
Anybody hear the interview earlier in the week?
I didn't hear the interview in its entirety but thought it was interesting. I was impressed with the guy, thought he spoke well and was thoughtful. He was somewhat measured in his responses but it's clear the defensive guys love Chins. What you see is what you get, He emphasized Chins transparency and how important that is to the players. I got the feeling that they didn't get the same transparency from Frost, although he never said that. He was both excited to see so many of the D players coming back but was a bit concerned about how that would affect some of the younger guys.
He also said something about practice, I'm not sure I understood what he meant, but it seemed like he was saying just because you practice the best don't mean you should keep talented guys off the field. Anybody have thoughts? I may have misunderstood the comment.
One other comment he made was about what worked at Nebraska years ago might not work with the team now. I don't think they want to hear about "the way we used to do it" stuff.

Reactions: headcard
I didn't hear the interview in its entirety but thought it was interesting. I was impressed with the guy, thought he spoke well and was thoughtful. He was somewhat measured in his responses but it's clear the defensive guys love Chins. What you see is what you get, He emphasized Chins transparency and how important that is to the players. I got the feeling that they didn't get the same transparency from Frost, although he never said that. He was both excited to see so many of the D players coming back but was a bit concerned about how that would affect some of the younger guys.
He also said something about practice, I'm not sure I understood what he meant, but it seemed like he was saying just because you practice the best don't mean you should keep talented guys off the field. Anybody have thoughts? I may have misunderstood the comment.
One other comment he made was about what worked at Nebraska years ago might not work with the team now. I don't think they want to hear about "the way we used to do it" stuff.
Some truth to that statement. While the most dedicated guys are usually the most productive, there are kids with uber talent who can turn it up when it matters (ahem Space Cowboy) If I know a kid can perform on Saturdays, I cut him a little slack. Not skipping meetings and such, but some sandbagging. Id still be on his case or more likely his position coach.

And yes, kids get tired of Jason Peter.

Coaches are always walking a fine line between whether you play a guy that is more experienced and possibly has been working harder and has a track record of execution versus a younger guy that has a higher ceiling. Practice isn't going to perfectly simulate a game intensity so guys that know what there doing and who have played in past will get graded higher or at least get benefit of doubt. A guy like Flemming is a great example. Vastly more talented than a guy like Warner who was starting at the beginning of the year. But how many plays did he bust routes on in practice (we have seen that with Betts as a Freshman)? How hard did he work in practice? How much effort did he give on running plays? Despite all that you throw him in northwester game and give him a chance and I assume that 87 yards exceeds Warners best game.

You need both of these things to happen to win consistently in a power five conference so it is difficult when you don't have talented upper classmen. Personally, if I were developing a program, I would error on the side of the high talent player assuming they are working hard but every coach probably has a bit different thought on what is more important to long term success of the program.

I do think this will be less of an issue in 2021. Highly talented athletes like Betts, Manning and Nance will be in 2nd/3rd year. Guys like Martin and Toure that have experience are at least legit Big Ten players and I think I guy like Fidone will do all the things Robinson did to get himself on field as a Freshman. With Spring and Fall ball I expect talented players to play in 2021 at WR.

Running back is also untested which is good and bad. It is good because if someone is a truly good player they won't sit behind Mills all year and they are going to win the job because its an open competition. Its bad because there is a possibility (although small) you just don't have even an average big ten back which will make winning enough games in 2021 a very tough task.

I didn’t hear the interview, but the transparency thing could be Chins vs someone like Diaco. I can’t picture Diaco being much of a straight shooter... dude is wacky as hell and full of nonsense.

Reactions: Reditus
Benning said Ahman Green was a terrible practice player, but he got in the game and was an all star.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Benning said Ahman Green was a terrible practice player, but he got in the game and was an all star.
I personally hate the thought of “practice like shit but shows up when the lights are on” concept, but kinda hard to keep ahman green off the field regardless. Helps when you have that kind of machine Osborne had. Not sure anyone on our roster has that kind of credibility.

Reactions: headcard
Mo Barry: "No one's going to care about Colorado when we're in the Big Ten Championship. And that's a fact.

tenor.gif

the head coaches job involves discernment, knowing how to deal with multiple variables of situations.
mo is correct, we don't do things how we used to, we win alot less.
frost main focus should be running the ball till he finds someone who can complete a pass

Reactions: Reditus
Some truth to that statement. While the most dedicated guys are usually the most productive, there are kids with uber talent who can turn it up when it matters (ahem Space Cowboy) If I know a kid can perform on Saturdays, I cut him a little slack. Not skipping meetings and such, but some sandbagging. Id still be on his case or more likely his position coach.

And yes, kids get tired of Jason Peter.
Screw the kids who get tired of JP. Guy was a hardass, never quit and a winner who helped bring the Titles to Lincoln.

Reactions: otismotis08
the head coaches job involves discernment, knowing how to deal with multiple variables of situations.
frost main focus should be running the ball till he finds someone who can complete a pass
I somewhat agree. You cant go slinging the ball when you don't have a qb who can get it done

We were second in the conference in rushing, so it’s not like we don’t run the ball a lot. Our passing offense is a much bigger issue.

I personally hate the thought of “practice like shit but shows up when the lights are on” concept, but kinda hard to keep ahman green off the field regardless. Helps when you have that kind of machine Osborne had. Not sure anyone on our roster has that kind of credibility.
I'll let Scott know you agree with him. 🤣😉 Jk

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT