ADVERTISEMENT

MN vs BW again for the title

Prepare to be floored then. If Justin Patton can get drafted 16th in the 1st round after playing one year at Creighton, then Hunter Sallis can certainly be a lottery pick. Being ready for the NBA is not even a consideration.
Patton redshirted man. You consider that one and done to sound right I suppose.
I don’t think Sallis will be a productive guard in his first year. Guess I should temper that until I see where he goes.

I don’t think Sallis will be a productive guard in his first year. Guess I should temper that until I see where he goes.
I said that "to sound right"? I know that he redshirted and I didn't say that he was a one & done. I only said he played for one year.

The plan of all five stars is to play one season of basketball. If they don't go pro right away, then the perception is that something is wrong. If you are 21 and in the draft, many of the self appointed NBA media experts say you're old. It's based on assumption and fixed mind set.

Bottom line, Sallis could be far from NBA ready but if he starts at Kentucky or Duke next year and averages double figures he will go pro. And there's an 80% chance that he would go in the first. Play next year and have a really good year, he'll go top 15.

Reactions: Herbert Husker
I said that "to sound right"? I know that he redshirted and I didn't say that he was a one & done. I only said he played for one year.

The plan of all five stars is to play one season of basketball. If they don't go pro right away, then the perception is that something is wrong. If you are 21 and in the draft, many of the self appointed NBA media experts say you're old. It's based on assumption and fixed mind set.

Bottom line, Sallis could be far from NBA ready but if he starts at Kentucky or Duke next year and averages double figures he will go pro. And there's an 80% chance that he would go in the first. Play next year and have a really good year, he'll go top 15.
Go back and read what I wrote. I said I would be floored if he was one and done.

You responded prepared to be floored while citing a dude that redshirted.

What am I missing or are you cut and pasting certain parts of this discussion?

For the record, I would be equally floored if Sallis doesn’t play in the NBA for multiple years.

Hepburn woulda looked fantastic in a Husker uniform, but I also think Jadin Johnson would look pretty damn good. I mean, we need a point guard? Or did I miss something? If he's a dime a dozen apparently we're penniless because we don't have a real point on the roster.

Hepburn woulda looked fantastic in a Husker uniform, but I also think Jadin Johnson would look pretty damn good. I mean, we need a point guard? Or did I miss something? If he's a dime a dozen apparently we're penniless because we don't have a real point on the roster.
Our point guard left us last year for better pastures .. This year it was a struggle and Teddy always had his hands on the ball..

It does suck he’ll be at Wisconsin. Sorry, but he’s not more valuable than the 6th rated kid in the country with offers from whichever school he wants.

Hepburn plays for a better HS program and may be a more mature player at this point in time. But Sallis is going to be an NBA lottery pick.

I suppose if your argument is that Wisconsin will get four years of him whereas Sallis will only give a school one year, then fair enough... it might be better to have Hepburn if that’s the case.

I will be shocked if Sallis is a lottery pick one year from now. You realize of the Top 25 recruits in the 2019 class, only 3 were lottery picks in 2020. Only 2 of the Top 10 were Lottery Picks. One of those was a 7-footer, the other was 6’4, 225, and averaged 20 ppg.

Sallis, at 6’5, 175 pounds, does not stand out physically, so he’s going to need a dominant freshman season and/or a great NBA Combine performance to be drafted in the lottery. There are lots of good 6’5 skinny wings out there.

Reactions: scarletred

Patton was also 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan, NBA teams will take a chance on a physical freak like that. Sallis is 6'5 at best, and good 6'5 wings are a dime a dozen.

Patton has also been one of the biggest busts in recent memory, so there's that.

Reactions: huskerfan830
I will be shocked if Sallis is a lottery pick one year from now. You realize of the Top 25 recruits in the 2019 class, only 3 were lottery picks in 2020. Only 2 of the Top 10 were Lottery Picks. One of those was a 7-footer, the other was 6’4, 225, and averaged 20 ppg.

Sallis, at 6’5, 175 pounds, does not stand out physically, so he’s going to need a dominant freshman season and/or a great NBA Combine performance to be drafted in the lottery. There are lots of good 6’5 skinny wings out there.
The 2020 NBA draft was a down year for one-and-done. Choosing that as your evidence is misleading. In 2019, five of the top six from the Rivals 2018 class were lottery picks.

Right now the mocks for the 2021 draft have as many as 10 lottery picks from the 2020 high school class. That includes seven of the top 11 from the Rivals rankings. Of the remaining four, three are projected first round after the lottery, and the fourth is projected second round.

Of course I'm not saying Sallis is a lock to be a lottery pick. He definitely has to put on some muscle, just like most high schoolers do. But NBA teams also draft on potential, and he has all of it.

I think we have a lot of people on here who want to be contrarians by saying the experts have it all wrong, that Chucky is definitely better than Sallis. The Hall of Fame coaches who are recruiting Sallis disagree. Chucky seems like a kid who's mature beyond his years, and his abilities should give him a nice four-year career in Madison. But those types of players also have lower ceilings. What you see from him next year in Madison probably won't be much different than what you'll see his senior year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT