ADVERTISEMENT

Miles should be done....

I dont know. I am on the fence here. Yes, we have once again played like crap. And ultimately that lands on the coach. But the coaching carousel is no fun and our program is not the kind that is going to attract a sure thing coach without paying some BIG dollars. I am willing to give Miles one more year. But at this point all of the speculation about his future is going to hurt recruiting. So a change might be needed. I just don't know. I like Miles, but the bad losses are getting old.

One thing's for sure, Miles will never beat Creighton. His head-to-head against McDermott is pretty telling if you ask me.

Tomorrow....

For me it's who would his replacement be? I don't think Miles is going to get it done but if we are just going to hire the next Miles I'd rather just keep him around for another year and hope he can pull a Richard Pitino. If Eichorst believes he can land one of his top guys at years end, then by all means pull the plug.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I like Archie Miller at Dayton. Only 38 years old and has them a constant winner. Well coached teams that play to their roster strengths. In his 5 years at Dayton he has a 138-60 (.697) winning percentage plus a 5-3 record in the NCAA Tournament including an Elite 8 appearance. Before he took over Dayton in 2010 the Flyers only had 1 NCAA Tournament victory since 1990. He did not take over a traditionally successful program or one with many resources to work with. Makes roughly half as much as Miles and has a 5-3 record in the NCAA tournament. His brother Sean has done big things at Arizona which probably doesn't hurt having a successful brother in the business that you can ask advice from.

If Hoiburg is fired by the Bulls then I am backing up the Brinks Bank Truck and giving him to keys to it.

If you ask me, and nobody did, we have two coaches that need to be wished "Good luck in your future endevors". The other one shall remain nameless, but his name rhymes with Erstad.
This is a big weekend for the baseball team - a chance to show if they belong on the same field with teams from strong conferences.

Would like to see a strong showing, though I'm not sure if it matters as far as the coaching situation. Huskers can get boat-raced in all three games and Erstad will still be Husker through-and-through and have a World Series ring.

I think that Miles should get another year or two. It is not like he has taken a perennial winner and brought them down now. He has brought in some good young talent and I think for that to continue, there needs to be an air of stability with the program. Unless we can bring in a proven winner and that is highly unlikely, we are just taking as big a risk or bigger by getting rid of him for another coach who is unproven at this level. We have seen this happen over and over again here.

I think that Miles should get another year or two. It is not like he has taken a perennial winner and brought them down now. He has brought in some good young talent and I think for that to continue, there needs to be an air of stability with the program. Unless we can bring in a proven winner and that is highly unlikely, we are just taking as big a risk or bigger by getting rid of him for another coach who is unproven at this level. We have seen this happen over and over again here.
Doc Sadler had winning seasons 4 out of 6 years at Nebraska before Miles came along. In 5 years we have 1 winning season under Miles. Sadler had an overall winning percentage over 500 and Miles has a lifetime win percentage at Nebraska in the 400's

Often, the mark of a well-coached team is how much the team improves throughout the season and finishes down the stretch. If you look at how we finished our last 10 regular season games over the past three years:

14-15: 1-9
15-16: 2-8
16-17: 3-7 (or 4-6 if we beat Michigan, but that seems unlikely)

As a fellow South Dakotan, I was proud of the Miles hire. Now that he is a rich South Dakotan, I hope he finds another employer to pay his big salary.

Doc Sadler had winning seasons 4 out of 6 years at Nebraska before Miles came along. In 5 years we have 1 winning season under Miles. Sadler had an overall winning percentage over 500 and Miles has a lifetime win percentage at Nebraska in the 400's

Yet we got rid of Sadler as well. Sadler was good at getting kids to play above their potential but could not recruit better talent. We got rid of him for the same reasons some want Miles gone. As long as Miles can bring in the talent, this team should improve. Unless SE can bring an actual HC that is a proven winner at the level of the B1G, I think we are better off keeping Miles instead of changing everything again. whe we get that full cut of B1G money and if Miles doesn't improve, then maybe we can afford to lure a big name coach here.

Reactions: Nebraskakid555
Are there any up and coming coaches (suckers) from non P5 schools that we would want or that would want us?

Last edited:
Are there any up and coming coaches (suckers) from non P5 schools that we would want?

As I said before, find an assistant from a power 5, like Marquette and Northwestern did. Or find a mid/low major HC who came in as an assistant from a P5 program.

Find one looking to use Nebraska as a stepping stone and jumpstart the program.

Maybe, they decide to stick around 5 years before taking the leap to the blue blood. Maybe they stick around longer like Few has at Gonzaga.

Many comments over the season of the "talent" Miles recruited. I said it before...I see MVC talent trying to compete in the B1G. NU looks like Creighton the first year they went into the Big East. The talent level wasn't there to compete and their record showed it. Miles recruits at a level that simply can't compete with the better teams in the league. McDermott upped his recruiting and the results showed. Miles seems content to recruit lesser talented players and the results show. Just my opine.....

Miles recruits at a level that simply can't compete with the better teams in the league.

Folks like you slay me with the non-sense.
  1. Purdue 0-1 v Nebraska
  2. Maryland 0-1 v Nebraska
  3. Minnesota 1-0 v Nebraska
  4. Wisconsin 1-0 v Nebraska (OT win)
  5. Northwestern 2-0 v Nebraska
  6. Michigan State 2-0 v Nebraska
  7. Michigan 1-0 v Nebraska (1 TBD)
  8. Iowa 1-1 v Nebraska
  9. Illinois 1-0 v Nebraska
  10. Ohio State 1-1 v Nebraska
  11. Indiana 0-1 v Nebraska
  12. Penn State 0-1 v Nebraska
  13. n/a
  14. Rutgers 1-0 v Nebraska

Many comments over the season of the "talent" Miles recruited. I said it before...I see MVC talent trying to compete in the B1G. NU looks like Creighton the first year they went into the Big East. The talent level wasn't there to compete and their record showed it. Miles recruits at a level that simply can't compete with the better teams in the league. McDermott upped his recruiting and the results showed. Miles seems content to recruit lesser talented players and the results show. Just my opine.....

Miles has recruited Big Ten level athletes. Lots of major programs wanted Watson, Morrow, Tshimanga, Roby, etc. The problem is he hasn't recruited anyone who can shoot consistently well from the outside - except maybe Horne who has been in his doghouse, and I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers after this season to somewhere he can get more playing time.

Uhm Creighton was 27-8 and 14-4 in the Big East in their first year. 2nd year was the tough year, in year 3 they were .500 and year 4 they will finish 3rd or 4th depending on the outcome of the final games.

Just to be factually correct.

Uhm Creighton was 27-8 and 14-4 in the Big East in their first year. 2nd year was the tough year, in year 3 they were .500 and year 4 they will finish 3rd or 4th depending on the outcome of the final games.

Just to be factually correct.
Yeah, it was the first year without Doug that was the tough one. This year would have been their big run were it not for the injury to Watson.

Next year could also be another tough one for them. They lose quite a bit assuming Patton goes pro. Will be down their PG (Mo), 6th man (Z), both bigs (JP and Hansen), and Huff.

I still like Mark Gottfried's resume, and he is the top name that we are 100% sure is available. 11 Dances, 2 Sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8. We're a full partner in the B1G now, pay the man.

Looking back at when Miles was hired the supposed candidates for the job were, Marshall at WSU, Walters at USF, Groce from Ohio, Sutton ORU. Marshall has continued to do his thing at Wichita. I think if he wants to he is set for life at Wichita. I don't know if he has dreams of landing a blue blood type of program job or not. Walters is now coaching a NBA D league team, so maybe he is angling for an NBA job. Groce is a Illinois and had some success in his first couple of years, but has fallen a little, don't know if he is on the hot seat there or not. Sutton was kind of a hot name at the time, but ORU has fallen off the last couple of years and he may be fighting for his job there.

I guess what I am looking at is, at the time who were the top candidates and how have they fared. Marshall was probably a wishful thought at that time and is probably not attainable now. Be it right or wrong it seems like schools like Nebraska (basketball programs without a lot of tradition) go after retread power 5 coaches. So do you go that route or do you go with a blue blood assistant? Going after a mid major coach with marginal success Nebraska has gone 0-3 in the last 3 chances so I would stay away from that option this time.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Marshall makes $3.5 million a year at Wichita St. He isn't leaving unless it's for a job like Duke or Kansas.

If we do hire another mid-major guy, I hope he at least has assistant experience at a major program. Maybe someone like Joe Dooley at FCGU?

Otherwise, get creative....maybe a former NBA head coach, like Utah did when they hired Larry Krystkowiak, and Alabama with Avery Johnson.

1. Purdue 0-1 v Nebraska
  8. Iowa 1-1 v Nebraska
  13. n/a

I'd say that graphic proves his point - I think it's reasonable to say we want to be in the top half of the B1G - we are 2-7 against those teams, with another probable loss on deck. But because we happen to beat the top two teams, somehow it means we can compete consistently with the best the league has to offer?

I'd say that graphic proves his point - I think it's reasonable to say we want to be in the top half of the B1G - we are 2-7 against those teams, with another probable loss on deck. But because we happen to beat the top two teams, somehow it means we can compete consistently with the best the league has to offer?

Except he said we can't compete against the top, which is a false statement, as competing is more than just a win loss record. Three of the 10 games were weren't competitive with 2 of the 3 happening in the last week.

His point remains inaccurate.

Except he said we can't compete against the top, which is a false statement, as competing is more than just a win loss record. Three of the 10 games were weren't competitive with 2 of the 3 happening in the last week.

His point remains inaccurate.

Yeah I guess I can kind of see both sides really. I guess I wasn't really looking at individual data points, rather at the bigger picture. Competing is the wrong term for me to use, as what we all really want is for DONU to actually beat a fair number of the upper echelon teams and we simply haven't. So yes we can compete with the top teams on a semi-regular basis, we just aren't good enough to beat the top teams on a semi-regular basis, which is the truer measure of our program IMO. The recent trajectory is really really bad, 19-38 vs B1G competition in recently, hard to spin that as anything other than disappointing.

Reactions: coachDubs
I'm ambivalent. Keep him, fire him, meh. Maybe that means something. I definitely see talent, but I'm really starting to worry that we've been consistently out-coached this year. I know one thing, if Miles stays AND we lose a couple of good transfers it will be depressing. So that's my question - how loyal are these players to their coach?

Reactions: ridge22
I dont know. I am on the fence here. Yes, we have once again played like crap. And ultimately that lands on the coach. But the coaching carousel is no fun and our program is not the kind that is going to attract a sure thing coach without paying some BIG dollars. I am willing to give Miles one more year. But at this point all of the speculation about his future is going to hurt recruiting. So a change might be needed. I just don't know. I like Miles, but the bad losses are getting old.

I actually like Miles, also.....and really, really wanted him to succeed. Unfortunately, this is looking like the basketball version of the end of the Callahan era. It is not just that the basketball team is losing......it is HOW they are losing. They do not even look competitive.

If they were sub .500 with a bunch of close losses, I could live with that. Instead, they are getting their doors blown off as the season comes to an end. Somebody post Miles' record for the last ten games of the season for the last few years, itt. That is a pretty damning stat.

Time to pull the plug.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yeah I guess I can kind of see both sides really. I guess I wasn't really looking at individual data points, rather at the bigger picture. Competing is the wrong term for me to use, as what we all really want is for DONU to actually beat a fair number of the upper echelon teams and we simply haven't. So yes we can compete with the top teams on a semi-regular basis, we just aren't good enough to beat the top teams on a semi-regular basis, which is the truer measure of our program IMO. The recent trajectory is really really bad, 19-38 vs B1G competition in recently, hard to spin that as anything other than disappointing.

I'm on page with that and agree.

5th, 6th and 7th place teams aren't upper echelon teams, at least to me they aren't. It's separated by the top 2-3 teams, sometimes 4, then another category then what I consider Wednesday teams (play-in games, a.k.a. cellar dwellers).

Solid post.

Reactions: Chief Wiggum
I have been in favor of another year but the last couple weeks have kind of changed that for me. If we open the vault then lets do it now. The players have known that Miles is on a short leash yet seem to have quit so maybe it is time to change. I don't just want to be competitive but I want to win also! Fred may be ready to come back to the collage game John Thompson III is on a hot seat and may be we could lure him. I just want to pay up and let a proven commodity try and run the program.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I would add if/when Miles goes that Boehm needs to go as well. Both are getting stale and so will the new arena and Hendricks training facility.

Another poster mentioned a coach like at Dayton. Don't know his specifics but there are good mid-major coaches out there who would consider $2.5M+/yr and facilities and current roster and Big Ten reputation.

1. Purdue 0-1 v Nebraska
  8. Iowa 1-1 v Nebraska
  13. n/a
Okay...so upsetting a better team every now and then trumps a 5 year sub .500 record? Again...as I posted once before: If the talent is there to compete and win then one could argue the problem must be with the coaching....or if the coaching is good then one could argue the problem is a lack of talent. If there is a lack of talent then one could argue Miles is not a good evaluator and recruiter. Which is it? Whatever the cause for the sub .500 record (including the upset wins and head-scratching losses)...the result is what it is and many feel the program could/should do better. All fans want to see NU win games, compete for meaningful recognition and advance in the conference tournament with a goal of getting to post-season play and maybe...just maybe...winning a game. How NU gets there seems to be the 64K question.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I'm ambivalent. Keep him, fire him, meh. Maybe that means something. I definitely see talent, but I'm really starting to worry that we've been consistently out-coached this year. I know one thing, if Miles stays AND we lose a couple of good transfers it will be depressing. So that's my question - how loyal are these players to their coach?

I would bet that there will be multiple transfers regardless of who is coaching next year. There won't be near enough minutes to keep all of our guards happy. Would not surprise me if Horne and/or Roby left, just based on minutes this year. You add Gill, Palmer, Copeland, and Akenten, and somebody is going to be left out of the rotation.

As for Archie Miller at Dayton, if he goes anywhere it will be his alma mater NC State. He's turned down better jobs than ours in the past.

Okay...so upsetting a better team every now and then trumps a 5 year sub .500 record?

I never said that. You were corrected so don't spin it to a different discussion. Own up to the mistake.

Oh, speaking of upsets, Gardner Webb says hello.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT