ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley's contract extended until 2020 and most likely again in December

Ok, but I was talking about one game plan where he adjusted to take advantage of a teams weakness or to adjust due to his available personnel. I can think of half a dozen times he did not do that and was trying to find a game or games where he did. Additionally, the times I believe he did not adjust were losses to teams the huskers should have beat. Anyway, after two full years I'm not sold yet, hope he proves me wrong.

There were at least a few games where DL noted he wanted to throw more because the opposing team's secondary was suspect.

"Run the ball guy" typically pissed all over that.

Generally we give the staff a fairly small box to work in, if an opposing teams weakness didn't call for TA to run 20 times a game, or just jam it into the line to show our physicality, we didn't want to hear about it.

Nominally, the QB run game is at least a minor weakness for most every defense. So with implementing a QB run game, Riley basically adjusted his O to meet pretty much every team's weakness.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Nebraska can afford to buy him out at anytime and move on if they want to. In the meantime, with the extension, MR has a better chance to compete in the recruiting world for difference makers. Everyone should be stoked about this, and it doesn't mean he's going to serve out the life of the contract.

THIS. As Benning said on the radio a little bit ago, it doesn't make a difference. But some still have to have the much to do about nothing attitude.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
riley is a major upgrade over bo. but maybe we could put a disclaimer in the contract that says if a saben comes along, we can upgrade even more without penalty. put it in real small print, have that guy with the glasses who helped Dr. Tom get us into the big 10 work on it.

Not on the field he isn't. That's just a ridiculous statement.

We still turn it over on offense.
We lose to Iowa consistently now
We are terribly undisciplined.
And hasn't developed any of his own players besides Bryant that could beat out the horrible Bo Pelini recruits in year 3.
16-12 and going backwards in the division is not an upgrade.

Wth has happened to our fanbase.

Last edited:
THIS. As Benning said on the radio a little bit ago, it doesn't make a difference. But some still have to have the much to do about nothing attitude.
ABSOLUTELY! It really is meaningless to anybody but Shawn and Riley.

There was no doubt to even the most casual followers that Bo was on the hot seat. I assume most parents are more than casual followers. I don't think the extension signaled one thing to them.
Again, appearances matter. No extension equals short timer... even less security for recruiting. Extension means if you turn it around you
Judging by your posts in this thread, I get the sense that it's not meaningless to you either…

As long as Eichorst does not receive an extension, I am cool with it. NU sports have been awful under SE and recruits dont care who the AD is. If dominos are going to fall, it should be SE first, then Tim Miles.

Mike's job shouldn't even be in question until after 2018 at this point. No saine reason to carry 3 football coaches contracts. Bo's contract will be up Feb 2019 and 2018's schedule is brutal. Wouldnt want to throw a new coach to the wolves like that. Besides, I think Mike will start producing more wins and support starting this weekend. And I hope the program never makes the same mistake it did with Bo. Was it 5 year contact extension?

Reactions: scarletred
If the contract didn't matter, it wouldn't be a topic. The donors pay those buyouts not the windfall from the Big Ten money.

Not sure if your suggesting that "it's ok that, cause the donors pay it" but it's not ok. It's still bad debt. Donor money could and should be used for something better. I agree there are times it must be done. But simply stating its ok since the money isnt being paid directly by the school isnt smart and actually, indirectly, it does cost the school in many other ways. Don't be that naive.

Not on the field he isn't. That's just a ridiculous statement.

And hasn't developed any of his own players besides Bryant that could beat out the horrible Bo Pelini recruits in year 3.

Wth has happened to our fanbase.
We have Riley recruits starting over Pelini recruits at the WR, RB, QB, backup 2nd string O Line, DBs, and DLine.

Not sure if your suggesting that "it's ok that, cause the donors pay it" but it's not ok. It's still bad debt. Donor money could and should be used for something better. I agree there are times it must be done. But simply stating its ok since the money isnt being paid directly by the school isnt smart and actually, indirectly, it does cost the school in many other ways. Don't be that naive.

I was responding to Tom and him saying that the extension is irrelevant because BIG windfall. I was just pointing out that the B1G money isn't going to pay off the contract. Donors $$$ will

Reactions: spinner4
which mod was that said he was going to ban your ass AGAIN if you didn't stop your trolling. I think it's about time to pull the plug on you. The length of contract absolutely is used as a negative recruiting tool by competing schools. Anybody that doesn't think that is a fool.

Reactions: natesonnen
I get the reason for a contract extension (not that I necessarily agree with it), but I don't get the timing of it. Why would you extend it 2 games into the season? I don't think the season will go into the shitter, but it's a possibility. Couldn't the extension have waited halfway through the season or after the season? 2 games into a season seems to be about the worst time to decide to extend a contract.

I get the reason for a contract extension (not that I necessarily agree with it), but I don't get the timing of it. Why would you extend it 2 games into the season? I don't think the season will go into the shitter, but it's a possibility. Couldn't the extension have waited halfway through the season or after the season? 2 games into a season seems to be about the worst time to decide to extend a contract.

He was extended earlier this year.

Which winnable games late in 2016 are you talking about? Ohio St? Iowa? Tennessee? The only one we had a chance in was Wisconsin...
Iowa was winnable, the huskers had some personnel availability issues and Iowa had some huge offensive weaknesses and I did not notice an adjustment to either. I asked the question to get others thoughts not expound on my own opinion.

Nebraska can afford to buy him out at anytime and move on if they want to. In the meantime, with the extension, MR has a better chance to compete in the recruiting world for difference makers. Everyone should be stoked about this, and it doesn't mean he's going to serve out the life of the contract.

Super stoked! 16-12 record as head coach/ who isn't pumped up?

Iowa was winnable, the huskers had some personnel availability issues and Iowa had some huge offensive weaknesses and I did not notice an adjustment to either. I asked the question to get others thoughts not expound on my own opinion.

UCLA bowl game and Oregon last year come to mind.

That's just a ridiculous statement.

nope he's spot on

Everyone turns it over some, but our TO's were way down last year.

Yes we have lost to Iowa the last two years. Does that also mean that we now beat Minnesota or Michigan State "consistently"

You think we were more disciplined under BoBo?? LOL

We have a very young two deep. Starters: QB, RB, 2 of 3 WR. 2 of 3 DL, MLB, both CB's and 1 Safety. Not to mention almost the entire second string.

9-4 last year and second in the division, just like your hero.

Now what about:
Improved recruiting
Improved PR
Improved relations with HS coaches and media
Upgraded coaching staff

We clearly aren't were we want to be yet, but to act like this staff isn't an upgrade over the previous staff is a joke (not that that is even an appropriate barometer)

Plenty of top coaches started their tenures in lackluster fashion. We are trending up, that's what matters

Explain this a bit. Not trying to be argumentative but not sure I see that big of an upward trend from the Bo years. W/L is worse; blow outs are the same; recruiting is only a slight improvement; game day coaching seems a little worse. Other than being nice what trends are you seeing? Unless you are referring to his record versus his first year.

We have Riley recruits starting over Pelini recruits at the WR, RB, QB, backup 2nd string O Line, DBs, and DLine.

That's just a ridiculous statement.

nope he's spot on

Everyone turns it over some, but our TO's were way down last year.

Yes we have lost to Iowa the last two years. Does that also mean that we now beat Minnesota or Michigan State "consistently"

You think we were more disciplined under BoBo?? LOL

We have a very young two deep. Starters: QB, RB, 2 of 3 WR. 2 of 3 DL, MLB, both CB's and 1 Safety. Not to mention almost the entire second string.

9-4 last year and second in the division, just like your hero.

Now what about:
Improved recruiting
Improved PR
Improved relations with HS coaches and media
Upgraded coaching staff

We clearly aren't were we want to be yet, but to act like this staff isn't an upgrade over the previous staff is a joke (not that that is even an appropriate barometer)

The argument is way better.

What does the record say.

He is not miles ahead. He has shown nothing that say he is.

We can't even manage the damn clock, please

Bo isn't my hero. I'm just sick of him making our fans look like idiots with their defense of a coach who has been subpar because they hate Bo and he is not even here anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackshirt30
Explain this a bit. Not trying to be argumentative but not sure I see that big of an upward trend from the Bo years. W/L is worse; blow outs are the same; recruiting is only a slight improvement; game day coaching seems a little worse. Other than being nice what trends are you seeing? Unless you are referring to his record versus his first year.

After the bad start the first year, record is the same. 9-4 is what Bo did. How is MR's 9-4 worse than BP's 9-4?

The argument is way better.

What does the record say.

He is not miles ahead. He has shown nothing that say he is.

We can't even manage the damn clock, please

Bo isn't my hero. I'm just sick of him making our fans look like idiots with their defense of a coach who has been subpar because they hate Bo and he is not even here anymore

After the transition year, record says they are the same, so far. Both 9-4 with some bad losses (but go ahead and fixate on the poor start in the transition year if you want). At least now we are competing for and bringing in some great recruits and we are hiring real coaches, not just HS buddies and GA's.

But hey maybe you'll get lucky and we will still suck, so you can so I told you so.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Stanley Morgan, DPE committed to Bo.

We had no Pelini recruits ruins left at QB

Everybody but Lamar Jackson was a Bo recruit and the other is hurt. Our best corner who is a Bo recruit.

Entire DL are Bo recruits. Linebackers starting are all Bo recruits.

PR , Kicker Bo recruits

Stanley Morgan, DPE committed to Bo.

We had no Pelini recruits ruins left at QB

Everybody but Lamar Jackson was a Bo recruit and the other is hurt. Our best corner who is a Bo recruit.

Entire DL are Bo recruits. Linebackers starting are all Bo recruits.

PR , Kicker Bo recruits

Bryant, Lee, Morgan, Speilman, Lindsey, Farniok. Lee, Jackson, Bootle, Williams, Reed, K. Davis, C. Davis, Young, Berry.

All signed by Riley

Reactions: RedMyMind
After the transition year, record says they are the same, so far. Both 9-4 with some bad losses (but go ahead and fixate on the poor start in the transition year if you want). At least now we are competing for and bringing in some great recruits and we are hiring real coaches, not just HS buddies and GA's.

But hey maybe you'll get lucky and we will still suck, so you can so I told you so.

Results...you can live in LA LA land all you want....16-12 is the same as 19-8 and a division title and 1 second from winning the conference whatever you say.

Sorry but your last sentence shows your pure stupidity.

Results...you can live in LA LA land all you want....16-12 is the same as 19-8 and a division title and 1 second from winning the conference whatever you say.

Sorry but your last sentence shows your pure stupidity.

9-4 is 9-4. Enjoy the Penguins season, superfan.

Regardless of whether you think Riley is the answer or not, the reality is always having at least a few years on your current contract is how the game is played. If you have a coach who only has a year or two left on their current contract, then people start asking questions about their job security and it can become a distraction, plus it can become a weapon to use against you in recruiting. Potential recruits want to believe that the coach that is recruiting them will be there for at least most of their time in college. In the way of comparison, look at Kevin Sumlin. It's pretty well established that he is more on the hot seat right now than anybody else, and his current contract only runs through the 2019 season. If Mike Riley's current contract only lasted that long, that would be seen pretty clearly as an indication that we weren't showing much confidence in him and I think would definitely be used against us in recruiting.
Truth....If you don't extend then you might as well can him....and SE cant do that because then he would can himself, this should surprise no one.

I see what you're saying, but Riley still had to close the deal to keep them here. This one could go both ways for me.
I have no problem as long as people are consistent. I see those wanting to prop up Mike sometimes saying he really only has two recruiting classes but then they want to give him credit for those doing well in the 2015 class.

I see those wanting to hold Mike accountable sometimes saying his first class was ranked #31 but then they say Bo should "get credit" for those doing well now.

IMO, those are all Mike's guys.

Try reading. Lee decided to drop this now. The University can't just keep things like this a secret. Those with enough pull, the Regents and Bounds were all involved. It was extended earlier this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: headcard
It doesn't matter to me, I'm not the one cutting the checks. If it helps with recruiting, go for it.

I see what you're saying, but Riley still had to close the deal to keep them here. This one could go both ways for me.

I was just trying to make a point. Let's just let the results play out.

I would love for Riley and the boys to make me look stupid.

Reactions: timnsun
9-4 is 9-4. Enjoy the Penguins season, superfan.

Oh..since we are ignoring their first season.

Bo was 10-4 his 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Riley still not there yet.

And I will still be cheering for him and the team, #1 Husker fan, you .

Last edited:
Mike Gundy sucked his first 3 years at Oklahoma State. They stuck with him and now they are top 10. Saban sucked at Michigan State. Dabo Swinney had an average to poor record his first few years and they stuck with him and now Clemson is on top of the world. Chris Peterson sucked his first two years at Washington. Craig Bohl at Wyoming sucked starting out.

Contrast that to Bo, Sumlin, Brian Kelly, Solich, Helfrich, Mora, McElwain who started off great and then floundered.

I would rather go with the first group than the second.

Last edited:
Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting! That is the name of the game folks. And Bo wasn't fired because of 9-4 seasons. He was fired because he proved over seven years that 9-4 is all he could muster because that is what his recruiting dictated. His average class rank was probably right around 25th. And it wasn't trending upward, but had flatlined in the mid 20's.

Riley's first classes were very Bo-like. But his recruiting does seem to be trending upwards. If we finish our recruiting on an upswing, and we retain guys like Bookie, then I will rate that a success and as better than Bo.

For that reason alone - - recruiting - - we need stability and to stay the course. Change coaches again at the end of this year and we will end up with another black hole year in recruiting. And with our roster, we can't afford that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT