ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Farrell Sports: Nebraska & Matt Rhule Are Better Off Without the Disingenuous Sanctimony of Trev Alberts

Hard to argue with much in that article. Nebraska took a chance on a Summit League AD, admittedly because he had the clout to Fire Scott Frost, and that AD turned around and left first chance he got. Leaving on bad terms in about 3 years has kind of been par for the course for him.

The good news is Trev did a solid job here and Nebraska Athletics is in a good place, almost across the board. The next AD hire is huge, but the next guy could be stepping into a great situation.

Hard to argue with much in that article. Nebraska took a chance on a Summit League AD, admittedly because he had the clout to Fire Scott Frost, and that AD turned around and left first chance he got. Leaving on bad terms in about 3 years has kind of been par for the course for him.

The good news is Trev did a solid job here and Nebraska Athletics is in a good place, almost across the board. The next AD hire is huge, but the next guy could be stepping into a great situation.
There is dysfunction at NU with the BOR. No doubt. Trev's departure put a huge light on it. Trev was obviously frustrated with the lack of support and not hiring a President in 7 months. On the flip side he just signed an extension and always said NU is where he wants to be. Both sides are at fault. Probably more 70-30 BOR with their track record and our history of running off A.D.s. Presidents, coaches, etc. We need to fix the inner turmoil going on at the University. Hire a full time President and A.D that can all work together and want to be here. Nebraska is a special place with great fans. We deserve better than the clown show that's going on in Lincoln. Get it fixed and Go Big Red!!

mike ferrell had chris klieman and lance leipold moving this past winter. he's a mouthy know-it-all, who spews nasty for the sake of hits. ad hominem is the last resort of losers like ferrell.
The column was published on "Mike Farrell Sports" so, yes, Farrell ultimately did have final call on publishing the column to his site. But...Farrell did not write the column. Was written by Rock Westfall.

^^Not trying to say something without saying it. Just a couple objective thoughts that were important to point out.

Probably don't have to worry about the stadium improvements and losing seats for awhile.

There is dysfunction at NU with the BOR. No doubt. Trev's departure put a huge light on it. Trev was obviously frustrated with the lack of support and not hiring a President in 7 months. On the flip side he just signed an extension and always said NU is where he wants to be. Both sides are at fault. Probably more 70-30 BOR with their track record and our history of running off A.D.s. Presidents, coaches, etc. We need to fix the inner turmoil going on at the University. Hire a full time President and A.D that can all work together and want to be here. Nebraska is a special place with great fans. We deserve better than the clown show that's going on in Lincoln. Get it fixed and Go Big Red!!

I understand why he was frustrated but still absolutely fault him for taking his ball and going home, like a giant baby, when he was needed most. I just hope the article in the OP is right and we will be better off.

I understand why he was frustrated but still absolutely fault him for taking his ball and going home, like a giant baby, when he was needed most. I it’s hope the article in the OP is right and we will be better off.
Agreed. It could and should have been handled better. I'm old school. If you sign a contract, you should give 100 percent while you're still fulfilling that agreement. Do your job. Talk it out and work it out. Be an adult. Get things fixed.

I understand why he was frustrated but still absolutely fault him for taking his ball and going home, like a giant baby, when he was needed most. I just hope the article in the OP is right and we will be better off.
It’s disappointing that he went that route and left Lincoln but I think it’s a worse look on the BOA and the administration..

I was disappointed in hiring Trev when it was first announced. At the time I thought Nebraska could do better. BUT then it turned out I was happy with his job performance and now I am sad that he left. But it's also time to move on. No use crying over spilt milk or acting like we hated him. Just should be focusing on hiring the new AD and hoping he is a good one.

I was disappointed in hiring Trev when it was first announced. At the time I thought Nebraska could do better. BUT then it turned out I was happy with his job performance and now I am sad that he left. But it's also time to move on. No use crying over spilt milk or acting like we hated him. Just should be focusing on hiring the new AD and hoping he is a good one.
+1

Bo tried to tell us unfortunately in all his anger he made himself look like a douche.

Reactions: Laner2
I think the stadium expansion was not as popular as Trev hoped. Maybe that was a blow to his ego and ambition. Maybe that caused some friction that coincided with a leadership transition. In any case, Trev took too big a bite. Rather than work through it, he took off in less than 3 years after we gave him a big opportunity to step up.

I wasn't aware of him refusing to show up for rehab when he was with the Colts. He seems to have a history of cutting bait when things get tough. Seems like that's his modus operenda. Have heard several of his "friends" say he didn't handle it well. And if the reports are true that he didn't call Rhule, that alone shows a lack of character IMO.

When he said his heart was saying to stay but his head was telling him to go, I can't help but think he thinks the A&M job gives him a better resume for bigger jobs.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

Excellent analysis. I was at NU same time as Trev. I like Trev as a person, a player and a personality. Trev is not someone who has been known to build long-term legacy. He was great at Nebraska, and he was gone. He did not build a legacy in Indy. Few remember that he was with CNN/SI or even him being one of the stars for CFB at ESPN before he got axed for his attitude. He was here and then he was gone. He will not retire in College Station either; he will move up, on or out.

I wasn't aware of him refusing to show up for rehab when he was with the Colts. He seems to have a history of cutting bait when things get tough. Seems like that's his modus operenda. Have heard several of his "friends" say he didn't handle it well. And if the reports are true that he didn't call Rhule, that alone shows a lack of character IMO.

When he said his heart was saying to stay but his head was telling him to go, I can't help but think he thinks the A&M job gives him a better resume for bigger jobs.
He’s already shopping for new jobs. Guy is so fake and I hope I can call him fake to his face soon

Agreed. It could and should have been handled better. I'm old school. If you sign a contract, you should give 100 percent while you're still fulfilling that agreement. Do your job. Talk it out and work it out. Be an adult. Get things fixed.
loose some battles to win the war
merit based ad please

Last edited:
Every job has people in high positions that either are hard to deal with or probably shouldn’t be in that position in the first place. It’s just the way it is. You don’t sign an extension like that and then bail. That’s just BS. Poor way to leave. Especially your Alma Mater.

Greg Sankey better watch his back side. Trev coming for his job next. 😂

Funniest part of this whole saga is Trev having ambitions to be a conference commissioner. We like him bc he sacked Charlie Ward a few times, everybody else doesn't like him.

I have nothing against Trev. Obviously, the regents said something to him that caused him to look elsewhere for a job. I would look there first. Can we find a good AD? Sure. Why not?
Until Trev and the Admiral cooked up their little alliance and thereby cut out the campus Chancellor, the AD was somewhat sheltered by the Chancellor from the highly political Regents. Did Trev not understand that the President’s principal reason for existing is to be the Regents‘ Chief of Staff and therefore Trev was right under them as well? Maybe he didn’t grasp the fact his closer ties to the gang on Holdrege might be a mixed blessing.. He should have.

I’ll bet this arrangement will give AD‘ candidates some pause.

Last edited:
Until Trev and the Admiral cooked up their little alliance and thereby cut out the campus Chancellor, the AD was somewhat sheltered by the Chancellor from the highly political Regents. Did Trev not understand that the President’s principal reason for existing is to be the Regents Chief of Staff and therefore Trev was right under them as well?
Again, Trev was doing a good job. I don't blame him one bit. Better figure it out before you lose more. Have you ever felt disrespected that you knew you had to quit that job? I don't blame him one bit. It must have been some serious disrespect.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Again, Trev was doing a good job. I don't blame him one bit. Better figure it out before you lose more. Have you ever felt disrespected that you knew you had to quit that job? I don't blame him one bit. It must have been some serious disrespect.
Yeah well, apparently it wasn’t so serious when he signed that monster extension and gave that heart-tugging ‘dream job’ speech.

Yeah well, apparently it wasn’t so serious when he signed that monster extension and gave that heart-tugging ‘dream job’ speech.
☝️100% accurate.

ezgif-7-2b4e84a7da.gif

Like I said, it must have been some serious disrespect.
You seem to be giving Trev the benefit of the doubt, while putting the blame on everyone else. Maybe you're right but I don't see where Trev has earned that type of respect.

You seem to be giving Trev the benefit of the doubt, while putting the blame on everyone else. Maybe you're right but I don't see where Trev has earned that type of respect.
I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I thought he was doing a good job. Everything was going smoothly. But I do know about office politics. So my guess is they said something to him that he said eff it. Maybe he's imperfect. Maybe he's the devil. Right now I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just like you said.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I thought he was doing a good job. Everything was going smoothly. But I do know about office politics. So my guess is they said something to him that he said eff it. Maybe he's imperfect. Maybe he's the devil. Right now I give him the benefit of the doubt. Just like you said.
We don’t really know what went down, or how Trev’s feelings were hurt. The fact we don’t tells me it’s not particularly scandalous. He doesn’t have thick skin. I think we can safely say that.

I think the real truth is that he just took what he felt was a job upgrade. He didn’t feel any loyalty or sense of obligation to finish what he started. He just left for his own ambition, and used vague innuendos about leadership problems to give him some cover on the way out. I hope he fails. Hard.

We don’t really know what went down, or how Trev’s feelings were hurt. The fact we don’t tells me it’s not particularly scandalous. He doesn’t have thick skin. I think we can safely say that.

I think the real truth is that he just took what he felt was a job upgrade. He didn’t feel any loyalty or sense of obligation to finish what he started. He just left for his own ambition, and used vague innuendos about leadership problems to give him some cover on the way out. I hope he fails. Hard.
We have a winner. Trev has loyalty to Trev . He tried to leave NU several times in 3 years Hus speech on his dream job and loved it hear and the rest of the shit. It just shows what a phony smuck he is.

Reactions: phoenix4nu

This is as plausible as anything.

From the article: "He is all about Trev Alberts..."

I'd tend to agree with that. It sure seems to me he was a part of every locker room celebration. I'd prefer the next AD leave those celebrations to the players & coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT