ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Might be Gone Anyway

Wives matter. I don’t have one but understand their power. Was she living here anyway? I liked Mickey and wish he would stay but do you seriously think it was up to him? LOL. Sorry for being sarcastic but sometimes guys looking from the outside in actually know something

if rhule and mickey can't make a deal, micky needs the tulane job, for 4 years, incase the penn state job opens...
then you have a 4 year hc with sec country recruiting connections in the cylinder, just incase

Love Mickey, hope he stays. As of now, he's not head-coach material for any of the openings. We all saw some strange decisions and play-calls the last 2 games. He will be a head coach some day, somewhere, just not right now. We could really use him for the next couple of years.

Reactions: OO Snipes
We love MJ. Not everyone else does. He hasn't accomplished much of note to be given a HC job at a major place. He'll either get a HC job at a much smaller school and build his resume or be an assistant here and with 1-2 years of more success will look more attractive as an HC. It is really up to him. MR has left the door open. It just depends on what MJ sees himself as now and what he wants for a payday. That assistant pool money has to cover every other coach and the S&C guy. So, I hope they don't blow it all on him.

We love MJ. Not everyone else does. He hasn't accomplished much of note to be given a HC job at a major place. He'll either get a HC job at a much smaller school and build his resume or be an assistant here and with 1-2 years of more success will look more attractive as an HC. It is really up to him. MR has left the door open. It just depends on what MJ sees himself as now and what he wants for a payday. That assistant pool money has to cover every other coach and the S&C guy. So, I hope they don't blow it all on him.
I don't like the "MR" thing . . . All I can think of is Mike Riley. 😉

Rhule is hiring other coaches with hefty price tags. 7 mil seems like a lot. But when several coaches get 800 to almost 1 mil....that $ pool goes fast. Keeping coaches like Ruud and Raiola balances the budget some....not saying either should be retained. Just saying not all 10 coaches can make 800 to 1 mil

Reactions: BleedRed78
Mark WhippleOffensive coordinator/QBs$875,000
Erik ChinanderDefensive coordinator$850,000
Mickey JosephWide receivers/PGC$600,000
Mike DawsonDefensive front$550,000
Travis FisherDefensive backs$450,000
Sean BecktonTight ends$450,000
Bill BuschSpecial teams coordinator$400,000
Donovan RaiolaOffensive line$325,000
Barrett RuudInside LBs$325,000
Bryan ApplewhiteRunning backs$325,000
Zach DuvalStrength & conditioning$425,000
Total$5,575,000

Rhule is hiring other coaches with hefty price tags. 7 mil seems like a lot. But when several coaches get 800 to almost 1 mil....that $ pool goes fast. Keeping coaches like Ruud and Raiola balances the budget some....not saying either should be retained. Just saying not all 10 coaches can make 800 to 1 mil
Knighton and Barthel probably aren’t likely too hefty of price tags due to experience. Knighton likely cheaper than what Dawson was making and that cut probably makes up the difference between Satterfield and Whip. Or at least a good chunk.

Has Coopers salary been stated? League average for an assistant in the NFL was $400k, so probably thinking he’s at about the same as Fischer was. Cooper was also unemployed so it’s not like they needed to throw a ton at him

Still see around $1.5MM to play with based on what we know so far… Bring the DC up to $1.1 and Mickey to $850 and you’ve still probably have $1MM

Plus I think TE coach will be cheaper.

Last edited:
highly doubt many AD's were blown away when they watched Mickey go 3-6 at the most talented team in the division

some of y'all are forgetting that other teams don't care that he's a former Husker QB

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
highly doubt many AD's were blown away when they watched Mickey go 3-6 at the most talented team in the division

some of y'all are forgetting that other teams don't care that he's a former Husker QB
I think mickey is good enough to get a head coaching job somewhere...looking at the big picture I think he (and bill) did ok with what they had to work with. except for getting a lil too conservative on offense, during the second half of the iowa game, Nebraska looked like a well coached team. compared to the start of the season.
and it's not like he had a off season to work with..the whole thing
and thats just talking bout coaching not recruiting..

Last edited:
I have no clue what any AD would think of Mickey in the interview process. That is up to them and what they are looking for in a leader for their programs.

If anyone can't see what MJ has done for the kids in the program and the program as a whole, then I give up. It would have been so easy to fold up the tent and go home but they didn't. They didn't quit, they had injuries and still got better through it all. I have great admiration for the guy.

As for him coming back to Nebraska, that is a tough call. I got caught up in a similar situation many years ago in my career. Came in to a very bad situation with a college, the board wanted it turned around which we did and at the same time the state wanted changes in the institutions. Five schools were listed in legislation to dissolve, merge, or become independent colleges, mine one of them. All of the leaders of the other schools were fired, I was the only one to remain and I eventually left on my own. It is extremely difficult when you have been the leader, the boss and CEO and now you are subordinate. People, in his case, kids come to you asking what is going on, why this and why that and you have to tow the company line. It was the worst three years of my life for many reasons.

If anyone could make it work, it would be Mickey though. He seems pretty resilient. The best to Mickey.

Wives matter. I don’t have one but understand their power. Was she living here anyway? I liked Mickey and wish he would stay but do you seriously think it was up to him? LOL. Sorry for being sarcastic but sometimes guys looking from the outside in actually know something

Reactions: ridge22
Well Mickey has the offer to stay. Up to him to decide what he wants to do but it likely will come to a conclusion at the end of the week. I think maybe Rhule could convince Trev to up the assistant's pool a little just to retain Mickey. :)

Reactions: dand84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT