ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Might be Gone Anyway

yea. I think he will have several HC opportunities, including at at least one P5 school, when the dust settles

if Rhule can lock him up immediately, that would make him 1-0 early in his Husker tenure

if not, I would understand from both sides (why would Rhule want to undermine himself right out of the gate by allowing an extremely popular personality & fan favorite for your job to stick around? alternatively, why would Mickey go back to coaching WRs when schools clearly think he has the makings of a head man?)

but it would be viewed by many (most?) as an L regardless

If he goes I wouldn't consider it a black eye for us, especially if we offer him an attractive package he rejects to be a HC. I'd look at it as a win-win. He came here for a year, got some good players to come, and held it together to hang in games after the Frost debacle. In return he gained HC experience and showcased his desire to be a HC and got his name out there. When someone leaves your outfit for another job, it can often be better for everyone.

But then....unlike a lot of fans I think things through (sometimes) before getting upset.

yea. I think he will have several HC opportunities, including at at least one P5 school, when the dust settles

if Rhule can lock him up immediately, that would make him 1-0 early in his Husker tenure

if not, I would understand from both sides (why would Rhule want to undermine himself right out of the gate by allowing an extremely popular personality & fan favorite for your job to stick around? alternatively, why would Mickey go back to coaching WRs when schools clearly think he has the makings of a head man?)

What P5 school do you think would offer him? That is kind of hard to see. Now with Fitz leaving Tulane, that would make all the sense in the world.

What P5 school do you think would offer him? That is kind of hard to see. Now with Fitz leaving Tulane, that would make all the sense in the world.
more P5 jobs will open with the carousel in full force over the next couple weeks

I also do not think he is out of the running at a place like CU

would anyone be surprised if Mickey was in the running to replace Shaw at Stanford?

Good for him. Hope he gets the job, he deserves a chance, would probably take most of this staff with him

Reactions: king_kong_
more P5 jobs will open with the carousel in full force over the next couple weeks

would anyone be surprised if Mickey was in the running to replace Shaw at Stanford?
Would be kind of comical / interesting if he went to CU. That would be really interesting right off the jump next year.

I’d be surprised if he was in the running for Stanford. Not as surprised if he was got the CU job - but still surprised.

Yes, I would be shocked if he was in the running at Stanford.
Stanford haven't won more than 4 games since 2018

a conservative (actions not words) place that famously values character above all else

Mickey checks a lot of leadership boxes

Reactions: jsachisler
Would probably be good to stay for a year or 2 and work under Ruhl while Trev gives him a good salary then take a job somewhere else if he wants to go or doesn't get along with Ruhle.

I think right now for MJ it is

1. Do you want to stay at NU "for life" and wait and see what is out there later
2. Do you want to venture out now?
one of those options will be there basically anytime he wants it in some shape or form

the other is extraordinarily finite

I truly don’t think it’s a money issue or a title issue for Mickey. He has said before he has turned down jobs that would be promotions because he wanted to stick with the kids to lead them.

It might really come down to if he believes Trev gave him a fair shot or not. A few weeks ago when Mickey stated he hadnt had an interview for HC job at Nebraska, kind of sticks with me.

Will Mickey staying @ Nebraska make the program stronger? You’d be crazy to think otherwise. Will him leaving make Matt’s job much more difficult out of the gate? You bet. Will we have a lot of decomitts and current players hit the portal? We will but that’s normal anyways with coaching changes.

Reactions: dinglefritz
FWIW, Benning just said he was optimistic about Rhule trying hard to keep Mickey.
hearing Ted Carter just now speak, I don't get the feeling MJ will be a part of the new staff.

He made it sound like hopefully MJ can still feel like a part of the Nebraska story..

Also, it's revealed that Ted Carter knew Matt Rhule back when Matt was at Temple.

This may be more of a Ted Carter hire than a Trev Alberts hire.

Unfortunately the way he answered the MJ question, it doesn't forecast good for MJ staying on staff. In my opinion.

MJ should stay. He will be in a better position in a year or two on Rhule’s staff. MJ and Rhule share some of the same characteristics. Rhule has clearly left the door open. If MJ wants to move on, well he has earned it.

We're going to see how much Joseph loves Nebraska and if all that happened during the search for a HC by Alberts is all water under the bridge. I really want Joseph to stay and I hope he's offered assistant HC, WR and head of recruiting if he wants it. You offer Joseph a million dollar salary per year and let him bring in those talented kids from the south. You have Rhules inroads in Texas and Josephs inroads in Louisiana and that's SEC type recruits that play for the Cornhuskers in the BIG not bad I'd say.

Reactions: bshirt73 and ADV1
If he gets a shot at a reasonable head coaching gig, he should absolutely take it. Would be dumb not to if that is truly his goal. Mickey didn’t do anything to embarrass hisself as an interim coach, or stand out. If he stays, great. If he goes, okie doke.

Staying in Nebraska is definitely the safest course of action, and that’s not a bad thing either. Happiness is never overrated.

Lol you have to be related to him.

There is no way someone could worship a coach who has accomplished so little as much as you do unless there is some serious emotional attachment like being a family member or maybe you grew up with him. He won't get a P5 job. If you take the emotion out of it, do you know how hard of a sell Mickey Joseph would be to boosters and a fanbase of a big time program? Never had success as a coordinator, didn't have success as an associate head coach, didn't have success as an interim coach and has never been a full time head coach other than a brief mediocre stint at an NAIA school. The last 3 years Mickey has been the associate HC or interim HC at big time programs; the most high profile his coaching career has ever been and the teams went 15-19.

He can add value to a program as a receivers coach and he should be welcome to the receivers coach position here if he wants it, but beyond that the cult of Mickey is extremely ridiculous. You would think people would have learned to quit worshipping a coach just because they played here after the Frost debacle.

Lol you have to be related to him.

There is no way someone could worship a coach who has accomplished so little as much as you do unless there is some serious emotional attachment like being a family member or maybe you grew up with him. He won't get a P5 job. If you take the emotion out of it, do you know how hard of a sell Mickey Joseph would be to boosters and a fanbase of a big time program? Never had success as a coordinator, didn't have success as an associate head coach, didn't have success as an interim coach and has never been a full time head coach other than a brief mediocre stint at an NAIA school. The last 3 years Mickey has been the associate HC or interim HC at big time programs; the most high profile his coaching career has ever been and the teams went 15-19.

He can add value to a program as a receivers coach and he should be welcome to the receivers coach position here if he wants it, but beyond that the cult of Mickey is extremely ridiculous. You would think people would have learned to quit worshipping a coach just because they played here after the Frost debacle.
Geez. Quite the overreaction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT