ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Joseph

EXTREMELY twitchy though. He was a jitterbug like we watched last night. OU hit ruined him. There's an article from 90 in the OWH about how he was FOUR steps out of bounds when he got nailed by an OU tackler. Basically ended his career with that hit which took him I think in to a metal bench.

OU LB Reggie Barnes is who hit Mickey out of bounds and drove him into the OU bench. Slid into an aluminum bench and suffered a severe cut to his lower leg. His calf muscles were cut to the bone, and he required a 1.5 hour surgery that night in Lincoln to repair the damage. Was one of the more unusual injuries i can remember as he was bleeding badly and OU trainers there were able to stabilize him until the Husker trainers made it across the field.
Nebraska tanked after that play and OU gave TO his worst loss ever. NU went onto the Citrus Bowl vs #1 Georgia Tech and lost big again. In the 2nd half of that game NU game on with Mitchell/Hasse to put up a fight. The Unity Council was born out of the ashes of that season and the rest is history.

This is what I have been saying. There are major differences in talent. I honestly don't know the recruiting rank of the LSU receivers coming out of HS. But give me a kid who has their athletic abilities at 6'4" versus one who is 5'9". I am not bashing smaller guys, just saying not all 4* are created equal. There were plays last night that only those elite WRs could make.
LSU had some shorter WRs too but they were lightening fast. They made Spielman look like a TE speed wise.

Reactions: oldjar07
This is what I have been saying. There are major differences in talent. I honestly don't know the recruiting rank of the LSU receivers coming out of HS. But give me a kid who has their athletic abilities at 6'4" versus one who is 5'9". I am not bashing smaller guys, just saying not all 4* are created equal. There were plays last night that only those elite WRs could make.
The recruiting services severely underrate taller receivers I'd take a good 6'4 receiver over a good 5'9 receiver any day.

Yeah, you get a pass on that. However, by age 8 I was following Husker football. I remember Dave Humm.
I remember watching them with my dad when I was maybe 4 or 5. I remember wanting them to win. I can't say I really remember the players until Frazier era and forward. Yes I know the big name names.

Reactions: Clemke32
Whats with the rumors going around that he is coming to Nebraska as WR coach?
I like the Mickey Joseph thing. Had no idea he was a Nebraska guy. Starting QB 1990. So he has those Nebraska ties that every loves. Which means he might stick around awhile.
He has 2 of the top 5 WR in the country for total receiving yards. Has tons of experience and have heard he is a great recruiter. However, prior to the last 3 years at LSU he hasn't coached anywhere of relevance. Prior to this year his last 2 years at LSU he didn't have a single WR in the top 50.
Would be a downright coup to get him as a receivers coach from the national title team. I think that's what is going to happen, though I think an OC role would be a good hire as well.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
For those too young to remember, Mickey Joseph was a Parade All American QB coming out of high school. Back in the day, that was the equivalent of a 5 star recruit. Hype around his signing was on par with Tommie Frazier. Relatively disappointing career given the hype surrounding him - I think he started his jr year, but lost the job his senior year to Keithen McCant. Too undersized to withstand the rigors of the option offense.
Still remember the banner headline: "Mickey's a Husker!"

Reactions: Baxter48
New to this but Mickey Joseph followed Thomas Fidone (huge Husker target) this morning on twitter. Fidone also holds a LSU offer, but quite a coincidence.
https://twitter.com/daboot02/following
He also follows Brian Christopherson, Mike Schaefer, Sam Mckewon, Sean Callahan. Not sure if it is recent follows or if he has been following for awhile. If recent that would be a good indicator he could be N

Last edited:
Still remember the banner headline: "Mickey's a Husker!"
The guy was a great option QB but that leg injury dramatically reduced his quickness. He was lucky he didn't lose his foot due to the arterial damage. I don't know if he had any permanent nerve damage or not from that cut.

Reactions: saluno22
He also follows Brian Christpherson, Mike Schaefer, Sam Mckewon, Sean Callahan. Not sure if it is recent follows or if he has been following for awhile. If recent that would be a good indicator he could be N
Well he is a Husker alum and close to a lot of former Huskers. May be nothing more than that.

Reactions: husker2612
Mickey getting shoved into that bench is one of my earliest memories of NU football. And unfortunately so is NU getting killed by GaTech. That was where a lot of it started with the staff realizing they were built to win the Big 8 but they couldn't hang with the elite teams' athletes.

Among the major switches were going to the 4-3 defense and altering their DB recruiting strategy so that they weren't just putting the guys who couldn't crack the depth chart at RB back at corner.

Mickey getting shoved into that bench is one of my earliest memories of NU football. And unfortunately so is NU getting killed by GaTech. That was where a lot of it started with the staff realizing they were built to win the Big 8 but they couldn't hang with the elite teams' athletes.

Among the major switches were going to the 4-3 defense and altering their DB recruiting strategy so that they weren't just putting the guys who couldn't crack the depth chart at RB back at corner.
Funny, both of those are lasting memories for me too. Getting over the hump and winning big games and championships was an often painful struggle.

OU LB Reggie Barnes is who hit Mickey out of bounds and drove him into the OU bench. Slid into an aluminum bench and suffered a severe cut to his lower leg. His calf muscles were cut to the bone, and he required a 1.5 hour surgery that night in Lincoln to repair the damage. Was one of the more unusual injuries i can remember as he was bleeding badly and OU trainers there were able to stabilize him until the Husker trainers made it across the field.
Nebraska tanked after that play and OU gave TO his worst loss ever. NU went onto the Citrus Bowl vs #1 Georgia Tech and lost big again. In the 2nd half of that game NU game on with Mitchell/Hasse to put up a fight. The Unity Council was born out of the ashes of that season and the rest is history.

I always seen breaking charlie thomsons leg, during the final play in 88 as some payback for that.

Nov. 19, 1988 In a 7-3 loss to Nebraska at Owen Field, Thompson suffers a broken leg. He finishes the season with 824 yards and nine touchdowns and is OU's leading rusher.

Dec. 19, 1988 The NCAA places OU on three years' probation for "major violations" involving improper benefits cars, cash and airline tickets to recruits and players.

Feb. 13, 1989 Thompson is arrested for conspiracy to distribute cocaine after helping sell 17 grams of cocaine to an undercover agent on Jan. 26. He later pleads guilty and is sentenced to two years in federal prison in August 1989.

Feb. 27, 1989 Sports Illustrated features Thompson on its cover, clad in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs, under a headline reading: "OKLAHOMA: A SORDID STORY. How Barry Switzer's Sooners terrorized their campus."

Last edited:
Not only undersized, but he wasn’t an accurate passer, and I’m trying to be kind here...
I only remember his leg injury against OU, ran into the bench and it was bad. I also remember every time my cousin would make a bad throw playing catch his brother would say "nice throw Mickey". To which was always replied, "thanks Vance". I was also 9 maybe 10.

I know I watched and listened before, but that injury is probably the first thing I really remember happening. Second would be snowballs in boulder and 19-19.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Unfortunately, getting shoved into the metal bench is the first and pretty much only thing I think of when I think of Mickey Joseph. Can't really think of any memorable plays he was involved in. Came in with a lot of hype and didn't live up to it.

If I remember correctly. Very small hands. Couldn't grip the ball very well for a QB
Yes, he had a disappointing career no doubt. He was really more of a wishbone QB. Would have fared better playing for a team that threw about four times a game. But I do believe his career was affected by an injury at Stillwater.

Second would be snowballs in boulder and 19-19.
Might have been the coldest game (windchill wise) Nebraska ever played.

Incidentally, Mickey and his brother Vance both got into the game at QB in that game: Mickey for NU behind Keithen McCant, Vance for Colorado as a sophomore behind Darian Hagan. Kordell Stewart was a freshman on that team.

Fun fact: Darian Hagan, Colorado's senior starter at QB, was also their punt returner (averaged 11.5 yards on 25 returns). Crazy to think of today.

Nebraska had 4 senior QBs that season: McCant, Joseph, Tom Haase, and Mike Grant. Grant redshirted that year, and started in 1992 until an injury allowed Tommie Frazier to start at Missouri.

Whats with the rumors going around that he is coming to Nebraska as WR coach?
I like the Mickey Joseph thing. Had no idea he was a Nebraska guy. Starting QB 1990. So he has those Nebraska ties that every loves. Which means he might stick around awhile.
He has 2 of the top 5 WR in the country for total receiving yards. Has tons of experience and have heard he is a great recruiter. However, prior to the last 3 years at LSU he hasn't coached anywhere of relevance. Prior to this year his last 2 years at LSU he didn't have a single WR in the top 50.
That would be a great hire. He's very popular and well known in Louisiana which, per capita, is the best state in the country for producing NFL talent.

Yes, he had a disappointing career no doubt. He was really more of a wishbone QB. Would have fared better playing for a team that threw about four times a game. But I do believe his career was affected by an injury at Stillwater.

If I remember correctly he had small hands also that affected his ability to throw and such.

Unfortunately, getting shoved into the metal bench is the first and pretty much only thing I think of when I think of Mickey Joseph. Can't really think of any memorable plays he was involved in. Came in with a lot of hype and didn't live up to it.
He might have lived up to the hype without the injury. He was never the same afterwards. His whole game was his quickness and ability to run the option which made the play action go.

Reactions: saluno22
I always seen breaking charlie thomsons leg, during the final play in 88 as some payback for that.

Nov. 19, 1988 In a 7-3 loss to Nebraska at Owen Field, Thompson suffers a broken leg. He finishes the season with 824 yards and nine touchdowns and is OU's leading rusher.

Dec. 19, 1988 The NCAA places OU on three years' probation for "major violations" involving improper benefits cars, cash and airline tickets to recruits and players.

Feb. 13, 1989 Thompson is arrested for conspiracy to distribute cocaine after helping sell 17 grams of cocaine to an undercover agent on Jan. 26. He later pleads guilty and is sentenced to two years in federal prison in August 1989.

Feb. 27, 1989 Sports Illustrated features Thompson on its cover, clad in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs, under a headline reading: "OKLAHOMA: A SORDID STORY. How Barry Switzer's Sooners terrorized their campus."
I was along the sidelines that day when his leg snapped, just 20 yards away. Nasty. SI cover in handcuffs a few months later as I recall?

Might have been the coldest game (windchill wise) Nebraska ever played.

Incidentally, Mickey and his brother Vance both got into the game at QB in that game: Mickey for NU behind Keithen McCant, Vance for Colorado as a sophomore behind Darian Hagan. Kordell Stewart was a freshman on that team.

Fun fact: Darian Hagan, Colorado's senior starter at QB, was also their punt returner (averaged 11.5 yards on 25 returns). Crazy to think of today.

Nebraska had 4 senior QBs that season: McCant, Joseph, Tom Haase, and Mike Grant. Grant redshirted that year, and started in 1992 until an injury allowed Tommie Frazier to start at Missouri.

IMO, Keithen McCant was the greatest Husker QB most Husker fans have never heard of. Would have loved to see him get to start more than 1 season; same for Gdowski.

IMO, Keithen McCant was the greatest Husker QB most Husker fans have never heard of. Would have loved to see him get to start more than 1 season; same for Gdowski.

Agreed. Gdowski was much better known because of his high school success in NE. McCant was an out of state kid who hardly saw the field until his senior year when he was all BG8. Looking back that 1988 QB roster was pretty stacked. Steve Taylor, then Gdowski who would would be the '89 BG8 offensive player of the year, and McCant who would be the '91 1st team BG8 QB. In todays, world probably either Gdowski, McCant, or both would have transferred instead of waiting until their senior year to get their chance to shine.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
So it looks like Moorehead going to LSU as OC. Maybe this helps us with Mickey or maybe there isn't even a job open.

Agreed. Gdowski was much better known because of his high school success in NE. McCant was an out of state kid who hardly saw the field until his senior year when he was all BG8. Looking back that 1988 QB roster was pretty stacked. Steve Taylor, then Gdowski who would would be the '89 BG8 offensive player of the year, and McCant who would be the '91 1st team BG8 QB. In todays, world probably either Gdowski, McCant, or both would have transferred instead of waiting until their senior year to get their chance to shine.
It's a shame Gdowski didn't redshirt.

That being said, our schedule in 1989 was incredibly weak. Nebraska played just two ranked teams (Colorado and Florida State) and lost to both (21-27 and 17-41, the latter being an absolute ass whooping). (Note: Oklahoma was on probation and finished 7-4; we beat them 42-25 in Lincoln.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT