ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan to the Elite 8

You should never hang your hat too much on a single win that happened months ago. Especially when that one team just game off a tough set of games playing two top 5 teams at the time. The rematch in NYC tells you everything you need to know about where the teams stand now.

As I thought, the B1G will have a nice representation of teams in the elite 8. That's AMAZING considering how "weak" the B1G was this year. To think, Michigan finished 5th in the regular season of the B1G....I guess teams can and do get better during the conference schedule. Maybe pre-conference games shouldn't mean as much for tourney selection as they do.

We weren’t 20 points better than them and they’re not 20 points better than us...But over 2 months ago no one thought Loyola Chicago would be playing in the elite 8 with a chance to be in the Final 4.

Michigan has been playing very well and hasn’t lost since February 6 luck or no luck.

We weren’t 20 points better than them and they’re not 20 points better than us...But over 2 months ago no one thought Loyola Chicago would be playing in the elite 8 with a chance to be in the Final 4.

Michigan has been playing very well and hasn’t lost since February 6 luck or no luck.
So what you're saying is that we're a lot closer to the Elite 8 than some would want to admit..Winking

Not exactly.Winking
I'm pretty content letting Moos make the call on Miles. I've seen enough to know that Miles may not be the best coach in Merica but I also have seen enough from some of the other guys out there to know we could do worse. (Pitino, McCaffrey, etc) I wouldn't want to be the guy having to make this decision. Way too much of other people's money on the line and it's messing with a bunch of people's lives.

Michigan shots lights out and played tough D. Pretty deadly combo...hard to believe we whooped em pretty good not too long ago...
I think us beating them was like UMBC beating Virginia. Just a fluke thing. 1 team had their best game the other their worst.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
As I thought, the B1G will have a nice representation of teams in the elite 8. That's AMAZING considering how "weak" the B1G was this year. To think, Michigan finished 5th in the regular season of the B1G....I guess teams can and do get better during the conference schedule. Maybe pre-conference games shouldn't mean as much for tourney selection as they do.

You've got Purdue as an automatic win vs Texas Tech or something?

I'm pretty content letting Moos make the call on Miles. I've seen enough to know that Miles may not be the best coach in Merica but I also have seen enough from some of the other guys out there to know we could do worse. (Pitino, McCaffrey, etc) I wouldn't want to be the guy having to make this decision. Way too much of other people's money on the line and it's messing with a bunch of people's lives.

What ever Moos decide’s I’ll be fine with. As far as Tim Miles he deserves another year but I don’t see us getting over the hump and being in the top half of the conference year in and year out with him moving forward after next season.

You should never hang your hat too much on a single win that happened months ago. Especially when that one team just game off a tough set of games playing two top 5 teams at the time. The rematch in NYC tells you everything you need to know about where the teams stand now.
Does this mean Iowa was better than Nebraska at the end of the season?;)

Yeah, regular seasons are irrelevant. They should just do away with them completely. Just have the teams practice for four months, and then each conference play a weeklong round-robin tournament to decide the champion. That way we eliminate the vagaries of in season development and we know FOR SURE who the best teams are for the tourney selection at that moment in time.

Or just don't play any games at all and let Joel Lunardi and Bruce Rasmussen decide. You really can't believe what you see when you watch ACTUAL games. Very misleading.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Agree. We sound like Iowa fans trying to put a cherry on an average football year by beating Ohio State. That said, we have an Iowa football fan mentality when it comes to basketball.

Or maybe, the B1G wasn't as weak as you'd like to believe OR the talking heads were spouting.

I mean, saying a certain conference is weak is an argument fans use when they want to kick their coach to the curb or when people with agenda's want to get other teams from their conference into the tourney(and it look like it worked), but isn't born out by the results.

I suppose it could be argued that perhaps there was a divide in the B1G between the top and bottom teams of the conference.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Or maybe, the B1G wasn't as weak as you'd like to believe OR the talking heads were spouting.

I mean, saying a certain conference is weak is an argument fans use when they want to kick their coach to the curb or when people with agenda's want to get other teams from their conference into the tourney(and it look like it worked), but isn't born out by the results.

I suppose it could be argued that perhaps there was a divide in the B1G between the top and bottom teams of the conference.
My point was that I thought the B1G was in fact stronger than most talking heads wanted to promote. Purdue I think wins that game last night if they would have had Haas as well. I see why NU got left out given some of the other teams who got passed up, but letting teams in with sub .500 conference records in to the tournament was criminal.

\ I see why NU got left out given some of the other teams who got passed up, but letting teams in with sub .500 conference records in to the tournament was criminal.

"I agree" ......... Tom Izzo Winking

tom-izzo-300x283.jpg

Reactions: dinglefritz
My point was that I thought the B1G was in fact stronger than most talking heads wanted to promote. Purdue I think wins that game last night if they would have had Haas as well. I see why NU got left out given some of the other teams who got passed up, but letting teams in with sub .500 conference records in to the tournament was criminal.
Yeah, I probably should have changed out the word "you" with the word "some".

I like the direction our team is headed. I think the team is just learning how to win. They certainly wilted at the garden and in the NIT.

I wasn't really in the camp that said the Big Ten was horribly, horribly weak this year - but how exactly does Michigan beating Montana, Houston and Texas A&M translate to all the Big Ten critics being proven wrong? In my mind, the Big Ten didn't crap the bed in the tourney like, say, the Pac-12, but they haven't set the world on fire either.

Fla St with some serious low basketball IQ. Pretty much gave the game away.

Glad Michigan won. They might win it all, have looked as good or better than any team in the tourney.

FSU did screw the pooch multiple times in the final 2 minutes but that’s part of being on the big stage.

Could care less about Florida St, just stating facts.
The facts were that FSU was down 4 with 11 seconds to go and the ball was in the hands of a 90%+ FT shooter. The facts were that they were a poor offensive team playing a very good defensive team and it would have taken a miracle to win.

"Gave away" implies it was theirs. It wasn't. Don't need a high basketball IQ to know that.
Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT