ADVERTISEMENT

Miami just pulled a Stanford-Cal...

That proves it is insane to kickoff like that. You should kick it out of bounds and defend a 65 kard play from the line of scrimmage. It is a no brainer.

This is the worst part about it. Several of my fellow posters on my Duke board were saying the same thing simply because it's Duke football - we've invented new ways to lose for the last 20+ years. Not even Cutcliffe is immune to it.

It also especially sucks when the play is reviewed and there are two blatant things not reviewed (runner down prior to lateral and 12 men on the field). Then the thing that is reviewed isn't even allowed to be reviewed. But alas, it's Duke football, I know better than to get my hopes up.

Duke definitely got screwed. The knee was absolutely down. There were at least 3 blatant block in the backs. Then, the refs while reviewing the play overturned the block in the back penalty-which is not reviewable and was in fact a block in the back.

And a Miami player ran onto the field without his helmet on while the play is still ongoing so 12 men on the field but no penalty. If it wasn't so heartbreaking it'd be funny.

All of those laterals is not football. There should be a limit of three laterals on any play. Football is not rugby, nor is it a playground game. It is an athletic skill-based game. That play was not skillful.

By the way, in Football today, it is a backward pass. The term "lateral" doesn't exist in the rule book anymore. An expert on officiating on ESPN today commented about the importance of knowing the new terms and the rule book.

They were suspended for miss calls during the game. The booth official missed one call, but was that debatable?

fwiw

They didn't miss the "12 men on the field" call btw. That would at most be a sideline warning for first-time infraction, and would be a dead-ball penalty (so TD still good) if second occurence.

Reactions: PoptimusPrime
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT