ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Stadium Getting a Facelift?

I remember going to the 95 spring game siting on top of the north end zone and looking over at the big 12 champ baseball team on the feild....
while kicking back along 3 benches and eating pizza with a coke..
and listening to kfab on headphones...

those were the days...
I’ve had great seats in past seasons but my sentimental favorite is still top row of old east stadium side. I could stand up and walk around up there. See the campus. No one behind me, just four feet of walk space behind the top row, plenty of room. And this was before smart phones— I would channel flip my radio to catch Iowa St, K St, etc. to get updates on their games. Great reception.

First reaction. 25% is too large of a reduction. Secondly, if there were a raffle, it should be based upon the season ticket holder’s priority points. This would reward longevity and/or contribution level.
It would make it easier to keep the sellout streak alive

The sides are fine. The end zones do need more room as we are a lot bigger than we used to be. Even reducing capacity by 2,000 would provide a lot more room for people. Please no alcohol. I don't care if 99% of the people who drink do it responsibly. It's the 1% that don't that will ruin the atmosphere for a lot of people.
Go on a diet Husker fatties....It affects your thinking and health.

1. Reduce capacity 10-20% and make seats wider. Yes people are fatter than in 1923, but I suspect it was still uncomfortable in 1923, but they didn't have man caves with 85" TVs then, so had no choice.

2. Sell beer. People who get drunk and cause problems are going to get drunk and cause problems whether they buy beer in the stadium, or get S#$%faced before the game and maintain their buzz with little shooter bottles. It could be argued that if those people knew they could get a beer at the game, they might not get as wasted before entering the stadium and there might be LESS problems.

3. As a corollary to #2, have a few designated places around the stadium to smoke. I don't smoke, but I don't see any reason people who do should have a nicotine fit for the second half. I have a friend who would love to come to a couple games with me, but won't because she can't go 4 hours without a smoke.

4. Increase concession capacity and pay concession workers more so all existing stations are open. Or replace concession workers with automated machines. If my choice is to go to the concourse at half to spend $30 on food and miss the first 5 minutes of the 3rd Q, I'll stay in my seat and not buy food.
ha. unlikely to happen...because the deciders aren't professional enough to get it...

Where do you sit? I'm not fat and north stadium sucks ass. Takes forever to get in and out, god help you if you're not on an aisle and have to take a piss. During a game get used to standing sideways if you have shoulders wider than a 10 year old girl.
so much for how fans are thought about.
It's pretty obvious from Trev's previous statements that he wants to reduce capacity and increase "fan experience" or whatever you want to call it. He said something to the effect that maintaining the sellout streak is a weekly grind.
the strong tendency today in all of college football sports...

Anybody actually do the survey? Or is this thread only for unsolicited weight loss advice?

Some very interesting options for Club seating and ledge type seating. Things that would allow you to move around more, talk to others, and make the game more of a social thing. But some of the options are far more expensive than what I pay now for my seats. Like $4000 a seat or more expensive.

Fascinating to see where this goes. I suspect older folks won’t want to change but in general terms have the money to pay for the new options while the younger crowd will be on board with change but fewer of them will have the thousands of discretionary dollars at this point in their lives that will be required to buy the new seats.

On the question of what tradition should we bring back, I said “winning.” And you’re welcome.

No alcohol in the stadium. If people want to drink, let them do it after the game. Drunks embarrass themselves and to those whom they are with. Plus who wants to get puked on when a fan is out of control?
Hasn't been a problem at Ohio St with over 100k

Anybody actually do the survey? Or is this thread only for unsolicited weight loss advice?

Some very interesting options for Club seating and ledge type seating. Things that would allow you to move around more, talk to others, and make the game more of a social thing. But some of the options are far more expensive than what I pay now for my seats. Like $4000 a seat or more expensive.

Fascinating to see where this goes. I suspect older folks won’t want to change but in general terms have the money to pay for the new options while the younger crowd will be on board with change but fewer of them will have the thousands of discretionary dollars at this point in their lives that will be required to buy the new seats.

On the question of what tradition should we bring back, I said “winning.” And you’re welcome.
Ha! I said the exact same thing about what traditions should be brought back!

seats wider...hey Fat Ass, do something for your personal health.
I may be overweight, but I can lose weight.

On the other hand, you're always going to be a mean, moronic, ass hole, and there's nothing you can do about it.

People are bigger now than they were in 1923 you stupid douche! If they only let people into the stadium who were optimal weight, we'd have about 2,000 fans at the game.

Reactions: DarkHorse93
I may be overweight, but I can lose weight.

On the other hand, you're always going to be a mean, moronic, ass hole, and there's nothing you can do about it.

People are bigger now than they were in 1923 you stupid douche! If they only let people into the stadium who were optimal weight, we'd have about 2,000 fans at the game.
And he knows he isn't one of them. That guy is an idiot.

I answered "no, not interested" to the 6 or so questions about loge seating, skyboxes, in stadium lounges, etc. and when they asked why I said "too expensive and all I want is a comfortable seat to watch championship football". They had a question about a 5-star restaurant and meeting area in the stadium but not used for gameday. Your membership would let you hang out there, have dinner and "network" on non gamedays. I responded I'm retired and have no need to network. Like you I also said "championship football" to the what traditions would you like to keep/add. I was not kind on the question about the band. I totally disliked the "Come Runnin Boys song and wrote some text about how much I hate it.

The survey was annoying in spots because on questions that don't apply to me there was not and option to click "does not apply". For instance, it asked me to rate in stadium merchandise availability and quality from totally dislike to totally like. I was not aware any merchandise is sold in the stadium, and if it is, I don't care.

The survey took me 40 minutes and appeared to be carefully crafted to not ask anything about the product on the field, but I suspect almost everyone filling it out managed to get our digs in here and there.

I answered "no, not interested" to the 6 or so questions about loge seating, skyboxes, in stadium lounges, etc. and when they asked why I said "too expensive and all I want is a comfortable seat to watch championship football". They had a question about a 5-star restaurant and meeting area in the stadium but not used for gameday. Your membership would let you hang out there, have dinner and "network" on non gamedays. I responded I'm retired and have no need to network. Like you I also said "championship football" to the what traditions would you like to keep/add. I was not kind on the question about the band. I totally disliked the "Come Runnin Boys song and wrote some text about how much I hate it.

The survey was annoying in spots because on questions that don't apply to me there was not and option to click "does not apply". For instance, it asked me to rate in stadium merchandise availability and quality from totally dislike to totally like. I was not aware any merchandise is sold in the stadium, and if it is, I don't care.

The survey took me 40 minutes and appeared to be carefully crafted to not ask anything about the product on the field, but I suspect almost everyone filling it out managed to get our digs in here and there.
Too each his own but what so bad about Come a Runnin Boys? I think it is a very cool song about our history going to the Rose Bowl during the 1940 season.. We will agree to disagree on this subject..

I also thought some parts were annoying and it looks like there trying to get a feel on how much you would contribute for different seating or remodeling venues with in the stadium..

Being retired you can only spend so much for donating seats for two tickets…
I let it be know that the Red ballon’s after the first Nebraska score needs to stay and it‘s been tradition ever since I went to my first game back in 1968..

Last edited:
1. no alcohol (except skybox, if your a rich drunk) need to keep a family atmosphere
2. band, they seem fine to me
3. grass? can you have garth brooks and high school ball on it and remain good? and will it bring back the dreaded turf toe?
4. seating has been decided, see above
5. the new south endzone with the upper deck horseshoe..... inside that I would like to see the nil/transfers offices
and a female cheerleader complex with like beauty saloon and plastic surgery facilities
(I think that stuff is safe now)
6. I'd like to see different vendors, like lacaza pizza and arbys
7. then where all them railroad tracks are , rip them up and make plenty parking close to the stadium for tail gating.. (you could leave 1 track, for a big red train from omaha, and from out west) to bring fans in so they don't have to drive all the way

8. someone spell check this and shoot it over to trev for commencement

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
1. no alcohol (except skybox, if your a rich drunk) need to keep a family atmosphere
2. band, they seem fine to me
3. grass? can you have garth brooks and high school ball on it and remain good? and will it bring back the dreaded turf toe?
4. seating has been decided, see above
5. the new south endzone with the upper deck horseshoe..... inside that I would like to see the nil/transfers offices
and a female cheerleader complex with like beauty saloon and plastic surgery facilities
(I think that stuff is safe now)
6. I'd like to see different vendors, like lacaza pizza and arbys
7. then where all them railroad tracks are , rip them up and make plenty parking close to the stadium for tail gating.. (you could leave 1 track, for a big red train from omaha, and from out west) to bring fans in so they don't have to drive all the way

8. someone spell check this and shoot it over to trev for commencement
Those train tracks are the only ones for eastbound trains out of Lincoln. They are used about every 20 minutes. Don’t see those going anywhere.

Those train tracks are the only ones for eastbound trains out of Lincoln. They are used about every 20 minutes. Don’t see those going anywhere.
that weird, lincoln is big enough now you think they would reroute them.

9. I agree with 4 smoking sections, in the 4 corners of the stadium..just something fenced off outside.

Last edited:
My tickets are on the south end zone...by choice (I like facing the score board). The psuth is the only side that hasn't been renovated. I got the survey the other day.....told them the typical (too expensive.....seat are terrible and tight...blah blah blah). I also remarked that the product on the field has been horrible and if it improves the cost will become a non-issue.

Too each his own but what so bad about Come a Runnin Boys? I think it is a very cool song about our history going to the Rose Bowl during the 1940 season.. We will agree to disagree on this subject..

I also thought some parts were annoying and it looks like there trying to get a feel on how much you would contribute for different seating or remodeling venues with in the stadium..

Being retired you can only spend so much for donating seats for two tickets…
I let it be know that the Red ballon’s after the first Nebraska score needs to stay and it‘s been tradition ever since I went to my first game back in 1968..
I didn't type any text about the balloon release, but gave it a 7 (or whatever the top score was) on the page where traditions were mentioned (the same page where they asked about come runnin boys :) )

Maybe with the new OC, OL and receiver coaches people won't have to hang onto their balloons until after half.

Reactions: BigO4WYO
1) Make everyone donate- so you can 2) Lower the donation requirements for all seats.

They'll probably make everyone donate and raise the donation requirements.

Reactions: HuskerJag
1) Make everyone donate- so you can 2) Lower the donation requirements for all seats.

They'll probably make everyone donate and raise the donation requirements.
Yeah the wording on that question was informative: “should we make everyone donate? This COULD result in a lower donation.”

I’ll take things that are never going to happen for $800. There is a zero percent chance my donation will be smaller going forward. Perhaps less than zero.

All I can say is God bless you people that spend your hard earned money to fund the athletic department! I’ll happily watch games on the tv.

Reactions: saluno22
All I can say is God bless you people that spend your hard earned money to fund the athletic department! I’ll happily watch games on the tv.
And I'll happily wait until someone posts the game on YouTube. Even if it's just a 20-minute summary.

Reactions: 9and4 and WHCSC
1. Reduce capacity 10-20% and make seats wider. Yes people are fatter than in 1923, but I suspect it was still uncomfortable in 1923, but they didn't have man caves with 85" TVs then, so had no choice.

2. Sell beer. People who get drunk and cause problems are going to get drunk and cause problems whether they buy beer in the stadium, or get S#$%faced before the game and maintain their buzz with little shooter bottles. It could be argued that if those people knew they could get a beer at the game, they might not get as wasted before entering the stadium and there might be LESS problems.

3. As a corollary to #2, have a few designated places around the stadium to smoke. I don't smoke, but I don't see any reason people who do should have a nicotine fit for the second half. I have a friend who would love to come to a couple games with me, but won't because she can't go 4 hours without a smoke.

4. Increase concession capacity and pay concession workers more so all existing stations are open. Or replace concession workers with automated machines. If my choice is to go to the concourse at half to spend $30 on food and miss the first 5 minutes of the 3rd Q, I'll stay in my seat and not buy food.
This!!! We had season tickets in the north end zone. If you wanted concessions or bath room.. had to leave with 3 mins left in 2 nd qtr to be back by start of 3 rd or a a few minutes into 3rd qtr. it was a nightmare. I love the huskers, but always said the stadium was one of the worst to watch a game. Hopefully make solid changes to it.

The stadium was built in 1923 and obviously has been renovated a bunch over the years. If the product were better on the field and the pandemic hadn't happened, I'd be curious to know if building a completely new stadium was out of the question. I'm sure that I'm alone on this but I'd rather they plan to build a new stadium within the next 10-20 years instead of spending money on modernizing the existing stadium. I think it'd be an easier pitch for fundraising etc given the stadium's age.

If they start selling alcohol in the stadium, I hope they don't try to limit tailgating like other places have done. Tailgate beer>$12 stadium beer...

The stadium was built in 1923 and obviously has been renovated a bunch over the years. If the product were better on the field and the pandemic hadn't happened, I'd be curious to know if building a completely new stadium was out of the question. I'm sure that I'm alone on this but I'd rather they plan to build a new stadium within the next 10-20 years instead of spending money on modernizing the existing stadium. I think it'd be an easier pitch for fundraising etc given the stadium's age.
Don’t see how you would demolish the football stadium and refurbish it with in 9 months to be ready for the upcoming season especially now when their building the Football/Athletic facility..

Don’t see how you would demolish the football stadium and refurbish it with in 9 months to be ready for the upcoming season especially now when their building the Football/Athletic facility..
Play a season at Seacrest. Guaranteed to keep the sellout streak alive.

Reactions: saluno22
Oh for sure, it's impossible to do it in 9 months. The only way to build a new stadium would be to move it to a different site and use the existing stadium until the new one is complete. Then demolish it after that and let the university use that land for something else. Obviously with all the recent additions, it seems very, very unlikely to happen any time soon which is why I mentioned it being more of a longer term goal.

One benefit to an off-campus location would be more parking and tailgate options and ideally a bunch of restaurants, retail locations and hotels nearby, similar to what the Braves have done. Just seems like it would be easier to build a modern stadium with everything you want amenities wise than having to try to retrofit a stadium whose bones are a 100 years old. But like I said, I'm probably alone on this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT