ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey leaves Louisville

giphy.gif
Big Brother ref....nice

Reactions: 1954
I wonder if Louisville may have wanted him at WR and just told him that he could play QB so he’d attend. Perhaps he realized quickly that they didn’t want him at QB. That stuff happens all the time.
He should go to Ohio, Solich would use him at QB running the opiton.

Reactions: NebChicago
Tristan Gebbia was the only qb loss that has actually hurt Nebraska under Frost.
It is hard to quantify potential loss or damage. From a production standpoint, or what Gebbia has produced on the field at Oregon St isn’t a huge loss. However, if you look at the quarterbacks that Frost is recruiting now, Haarburg, Torres, Bianco, they look more like Gabbia than they do Martinez.

It is hard to quantify potential loss or damage. From a production standpoint, or what Gebbia has produced on the field at Oregon St isn’t a huge loss. However, if you look at the quarterbacks that Frost is recruiting now, Haarburg, Torres, Bianco, they look more like Gabbia than they do Martinez.
He may be referring to the Martinez injury that arguably cost us at least two victories in Frost's first year (Colorado and Troy), thus preventing Frost from putting together a bowl team in 2018, building momentum and changing the conversation around the program.

Two blunders by Frost. 1. His theory of how his offense would affect the B1G (they'll have to adjust to us). 2. His inexplicable elevation of McCaffrey to starter, who ended up pretty one-dimensional and was exposed by Lovie Smith.
What he was able to get away with at UCF in the AAC wasn't going to cut it in the B1G. Maybe we will yet get to an offense where RBs run the ball, QBs pass the ball and run only when needed or when the yards are there, and WRs catch the ball.

Was there ever any details about how he suited up to play against Rutgers and warmed up in his pads and then took his pads off and was inactive?

He may be referring to the Martinez injury that arguably cost us at least two victories in Frost's first year (Colorado and Troy), thus preventing Frost from putting together a bowl team in 2018, building momentum and changing the conversation around the program.
I guess. I don't count the Colorado game, Martinez went down with 3:29 to go and we punted with 2:20 to go. The offensive hold on the play Martinez was hurt, put us at 1st and 20. We ran 2 times, threw an incompletion and punted. Colorado went 77 yards in 1:17, and didn't even need to use a timeout, that ain't on Bunch. Then Bunch moved the ball to the Colorado 20 and gave us a chance to win. There were plenty of opportunities before Martinez went down to put the game out of reach but we didn't take advantage. They scored 2 TD to win the game.

Reactions: NikkiSixx and 9and4
Two blunders by Frost. 1. His theory of how his offense would affect the B1G (they'll have to adjust to us). 2. His inexplicable elevation of McCaffrey to starter, who ended up pretty one-dimensional and was exposed by Lovie Smith.
What he was able to get away with at UCF in the AAC wasn't going to cut it in the B1G. Maybe we will yet get to an offense where RBs run the ball, QBs pass the ball and run only when needed or when the yards are there, and WRs catch the ball.
But his offense the last 3 years looks nothing like what his offense at UCF or even Oregon looked like. How do we know what that offense can do in the Big 10, we haven't seen it? The offense I highlighted in red is what UCF and Oregon were like.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure he was still enrolled at Nebraska this spring and taking classes online. He may have never even started classes or enrolled at Louisville. I haven't checked, but I don't think he went through their spring practices.

Athletically yes. Also seems to be a trend more towards throwers, just like the 2023 QB prospect in LA Mooney. I was never impressed with Gebbia's arm

Really good football player.

Not a really good D1 quarterback. Nebraska used him right BEFORE he was a full-time QB.
“I not only want to keep him at quarterback, I want to give him an opportunity to compete for the job," Frost said four days before McCaffrey officially transferred. "... I think he’s crazy if he doesn’t want to stay at quarterback, because I think he can be really good at it.”

Says our HC and apparent QB guru.

“I not only want to keep him at quarterback, I want to give him an opportunity to compete for the job," Frost said four days before McCaffrey officially transferred. "... I think he’s crazy if he doesn’t want to stay at quarterback, because I think he can be really good at it.”

You are an interesting little feller WCC2.

Pretty sure they were doing and saying what they could to keep him around. Of course if they said nothing and Luke left, you would be the first one here saying they dropped the ball by not trying to keep him around.

You are an interesting little feller WCC2.

Pretty sure they were doing and saying what they could to keep him around. Of course if they said nothing and Luke left, you would be the first one here saying they dropped the ball by not trying to keep him around.
You don't think Frost could have been a little less glowing in his attempt to keep him around? Something between nothing and he is the future here?

Another question, do you not think Frost and Co. had a conversation with McCaffrey about moving to WR at some point? Then, at the time of the transfer, Luke would be crazy to think about changing positions.

Frost is still an inexperience head coach. He speaks and puts things on record that simply shouldn't be. I am sure he will get better at it, most do.

Frost definitely needs to get better at not saying stupid shit. It's like he never attended the 2-day seminar on "coach speak" that every other D1 coach in history went to. He constantly sets himself up with his own words.

I am pretty sure he was still enrolled at Nebraska this spring and taking classes online. He may have never even started classes or enrolled at Louisville. I haven't checked, but I don't think he went through their spring practices.

This is about all I saw. Said he participated in Summer workouts, but didn’t say anything about Spring practice. How could he already decide he couldn’t compete for the QB job off a few summer workouts?

Louisville probably figured out he can't throw it in the ocean standing in a small boat and was like, "So here's the running back playbook...you want the receivers one too or just the RB for now?"

Kid is BAD at QB. Like Mike Grant bad, he needs to be catching and carrying the ball, not throwing it.

You don't think Frost could have been a little less glowing in his attempt to keep him around? Something between nothing and he is the future here?

Another question, do you not think Frost and Co. had a conversation with McCaffrey about moving to WR at some point? Then, at the time of the transfer, Luke would be crazy to think about changing positions.

Frost is still an inexperience head coach. He speaks and puts things on record that simply shouldn't be. I am sure he will get better at it, most do.
Of heck yes Frost could have handled it better. My point was simply that WCC2 will react to the negative no matter what Frost does.

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like trying to manage some of these guys fragile egos. I really have no idea if he talked to Luke about other positions. I think Luke was gone no matter what once he realized he wasn't going to take over as starter at QB. It doesn't really matter what Frost said in the press or not. I don't think that weighed in on his decision.

Of heck yes Frost could have handled it better. My point was simply that WCC2 will react to the negative no matter what Frost does.

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like trying to manage some of these guys fragile egos. I really have no idea if he talked to Luke about other positions. I think Luke was gone no matter what once he realized he wasn't going to take over as starter at QB. It doesn't really matter what Frost said in the press or not. I don't think that weighed in on his decision.
That is a bold face lie "My point was simply that WCC2 will react to the negative no matter what Frost does." Frost can never do anything stupid in your opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT