ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey leaves Louisville

Not that it really matters, but I am hearing that Rice is the leader. The HC was the OC at Stanford when Christian was there. Their QB room is a mess.
Yes, the QB room seems pretty thin.
His best fit as a P5 player would be a a swiss army knife offensive skill player. A kid you have to account for when he is on the field. And yet he persists in seeking a role for which he is not suited.
Personally, I think his best position would be APB ( who can also pass). For those of you old enough think, Paul Hornung or Frank Gifford?

Not sure that hurt either. He hasn’t been good at OSU, but our depth sucks so.....
I could ask is he worse than what we have? He has a win over the PAC 12 champs, no one on our squad can make that claim. Ha ha

I will readily admit that I will defend Gebbia. I believe he was misled by Frost. I don’t believe the competition was fair and Frost knew from the jump he was going with Martinez. So when he left I wasn’t mad at him.

he is 2-2 as a starter, a 60% passer 5 TDs and 4 picks. Half the picks were in one game that the won. Doesn’t look a whole lot different than what we have now.

of course he is playing for the bottom of the barrel Pac 12 team that is way below the excellence that is Nebraska. Lol

I could ask is he worse than what we have? He has a win over the PAC 12 champs, no one on our squad can make that claim. Ha ha

I will readily admit that I will defend Gebbia. I believe he was misled by Frost. I don’t believe the competition was fair and Frost knew from the jump he was going with Martinez. So when he left I wasn’t mad at him.

he is 2-2 as a starter, a 60% passer 5 TDs and 4 picks. Half the picks were in one game that the won. Doesn’t look a whole lot different than what we have now.

of course he is playing for the bottom of the barrel Pac 12 team that is way below the excellence that is Nebraska. Lol

You chose to believe what you want to, I guess. To me it sure seemed like there was an open competition and Gebbia lost, so he took his ball and went home. Had he stayed it would have taken exactly one game for him to get his chance to start and prove himself. I don’t hold any I’ll will toward the kid. However at OSU he has been even worse than AM, not exactly proving anyone wrong.

And what’s with the “excellence that is Nebraska” line. An odd, passive aggressive comment toward the program we all support.

Last edited:
You chose to believe what you want to, I guess. To me it sure seemed like there was an open competition and Gebbia lost, so he took his ball and went home. Had he stayed it would have taken exactly one game for him to get his chance to start and prove himself. I don’t hold any I’ll will toward the kid. However at OSU he has been even worse than AM, not exactly proving anyone wrong.

And what’s with the “excellence that is Nebraska” line. An odd, passive aggressive comment toward the program we all support.
The excellence that is Nebraska is just a jab at all the people that were bashing those players for going to a school as lowly as Oregon St. People writing things like, who has gone anywhere "good" and done anything. As if Nebraska is doing anything special.

Oregon St 9-22
Nebraska 12-20

basically we are Oregon St. at this point.

Hell Patrick O'Brien is 5-11 as a starter. Let's see what happens at Washington this year.

As far as the competition between Gebbia and Martinez goes, we can agree do disagree. IMHO, Frost was doing whatever he could to keep Gebbia around. Others have mentioned that there was literally nothing behind Martinez after Gebbia left, that is all the motivation he needed to keep the "competition" alive for as long as he could.

Louisville probably figured out he can't throw it in the ocean standing in a small boat and was like, "So here's the running back playbook...you want the receivers one too or just the RB for now?"

Kid is BAD at QB. Like Mike Grant bad, he needs to be catching and carrying the ball, not throwing it.
The sooner he figures this out, the sooner he can salvage his career. Does anyone think Eric crouch has regrets?

Louisville probably figured out he can't throw it in the ocean standing in a small boat and was like, "So here's the running back playbook...you want the receivers one too or just the RB for now?"

Kid is BAD at QB. Like Mike Grant bad, he needs to be catching and carrying the ball, not throwing it.
Mike Grant numbers in 24 games. 86 completions, 48% completion pct, 1086 yards

Year
SchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1989NebraskaBig 8QB581747.11237.29.620146.7
1990NebraskaBig 8QB9326946.44847.05.644112.8
1992NebraskaBig 8QB10469250.04795.23.855100.8
CareerNebraska8617848.310866.15.1119109.8

The rushing numbers, 24 games 467 yards 3.9 ypc

YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
1989NebraskaBig 8QB5271666.10271666.10
1990NebraskaBig 8QB9421533.60421533.60
1992NebraskaBig 8QB10501483.06501483.06
CareerNebraska1194673.96

I'm going backwards in the comparison

Luke McCaffrey numbers 11 games, 530 yards 6.0 ypc
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
2019NebraskaBig TenFRQB4241666.9111212.00251787.11
2020NebraskaBig TenFRQB7653645.63155.00663695.63
CareerNebraska895306.042178.50915476.04

In 11 games, 57 completions, 57 completions, 64.8% completion 608 yards.
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2019NebraskaBig TenFRQB491275.014211.815.220229.4
2020NebraskaBig TenFRQB7487663.24666.12.816103.2
CareerNebraska578864.86086.94.536120.

If Mike Grant had Luke McCaffrey numbers, he would have been all conference.

• Wow
Reactions: dinglefritz
The excellence that is Nebraska is just a jab at all the people that were bashing those players for going to a school as lowly as Oregon St. People writing things like, who has gone anywhere "good" and done anything. As if Nebraska is doing anything special.

Oregon St 9-22
Nebraska 12-20

basically we are Oregon St. at this point.

Hell Patrick O'Brien is 5-11 as a starter. Let's see what happens at Washington this year.

As far as the competition between Gebbia and Martinez goes, we can agree do disagree. IMHO, Frost was doing whatever he could to keep Gebbia around. Others have mentioned that there was literally nothing behind Martinez after Gebbia left, that is all the motivation he needed to keep the "competition" alive for as long as he could.
"basically we are Oregon St. at this point"

Basically we've been Oregon State for the last couple of decades and that's not only because of the strange similarities to Riley's tenure/end of tenure at each university, although it's certainly a factor.

Mike Riley left their program following a 5-7 season preceeded by a 16-10 stretch. Mike Riley left ours following a 4-8 season preceeded by a 15-11 stretch.

Oregon State's had six consecutive losing seasons since Mike Riley left its program. Nebraska's had three.

Oregon State's had four non-interim coaches since 2000. Nebraska's had five.

Oregon State last won its conference in 2000. Nebraska in 1999.

Oregon State hasn't been to a bowl game since 2013 and has won 7 of them since 2000 (one of them being a NY6). Nebraska hasn't been to a bowl game since 2016 and has won 7 of them since 2000 (none of them being a NY6).

Oregon State has had 10 seasons of 7+ wins since 2000. Nebraska's had 14.

Oregon State's finished in the AP Top-10 once since 2000. Nebraska's done it twice. Neither's done it since 2001.

The superficial competitiveness awarded by the 9-win/win nothing seasons under Bo Pelini makes the Huskers look like they've had a better run of it since the turn of the century, but the wins that matter haven't been there. So, it's not Scott Frost that's turned Nebraska into Oregon State, it's Nebraska that turned itself into Oregon State years ago. Scott Frost is just the lucky guy who has the opportunity to turn Nebraska back into Nebraska. I'm glad the athletic department is finally taking the right approach and giving him the time to do it properly.

"basically we are Oregon St. at this point"

Basically we've been Oregon State for the last couple of decades and that's not only because of the strange similarities to Riley's tenure/end of tenure at each university, although it's certainly a factor.

Mike Riley left their program following a 5-7 season preceeded by a 16-10 stretch. Mike Riley left ours following a 4-8 season preceeded by a 15-11 stretch.

Oregon State's had six consecutive losing seasons since Mike Riley left its program. Nebraska's had three.

Oregon State's had four non-interim coaches since 2000. Nebraska's had five.

Oregon State last won its conference in 2000. Nebraska in 1999.

Oregon State hasn't been to a bowl game since 2013 and has won 7 of them since 2000 (one of them being a NY6). Nebraska hasn't been to a bowl game since 2016 and has won 7 of them since 2000 (none of them being a NY6).

Oregon State has had 10 seasons of 7+ wins since 2000. Nebraska's had 14.

Oregon State's finished in the AP Top-10 once since 2000. Nebraska's done it twice. Neither's done it since 2001.

The superficial competitiveness awarded by the 9-win/win nothing seasons under Bo Pelini makes the Huskers look like they've had a better run of it since the turn of the century, but the wins that matter haven't been there. So, it's not Scott Frost that's turned Nebraska into Oregon State, it's Nebraska that turned itself into Oregon State years ago. Scott Frost is just the lucky guy who has the opportunity to turn Nebraska back into Nebraska. I'm glad the athletic department is finally taking the right approach and giving him the time to do it properly.
preaching to the choir dude.

That is a bold face lie "My point was simply that WCC2 will react to the negative no matter what Frost does." Frost can never do anything stupid in your opinion.
Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

I am not a Frost fan boy. At all. I am also not a sky is falling and everything he does is wrong guy.

But very obviously you look for reasons to bag on Frost. Yeah, I know there are many reasons.

You really shouldn't take this stuff so serious.

Weird

Should have just moved him to slot from the beginning. Could have been a Wandale replacement but noooo.. I'm a QB when I'm not..

It is hard to quantify potential loss or damage. From a production standpoint, or what Gebbia has produced on the field at Oregon St isn’t a huge loss. However, if you look at the quarterbacks that Frost is recruiting now, Haarburg, Torres, Bianco, they look more like Gabbia than they do Martinez.

No shit?

Was there ever any details about how he suited up to play against Rutgers and warmed up in his pads and then took his pads off and was inactive?
On the Tuesday before the Rutgers game he shows up at practice and tells the coaches he is unable to practice. Didn't practice all week but travelled with the team for the Rutgers game. Go figure.

Two blunders by Frost. 1. His theory of how his offense would affect the B1G (they'll have to adjust to us). 2. His inexplicable elevation of McCaffrey to starter, who ended up pretty one-dimensional and was exposed by Lovie Smith.
What he was able to get away with at UCF in the AAC wasn't going to cut it in the B1G. Maybe we will yet get to an offense where RBs run the ball, QBs pass the ball and run only when needed or when the yards are there, and WRs catch the ball.
Don’t forget Joe Burrow.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
On the Tuesday before the Rutgers game he shows up at practice and tells the coaches he is unable to practice. Didn't practice all week but travelled with the team for the Rutgers game. Go figure.
Immature. Has faced little adversity in his young life is my guess.

Reactions: dinglefritz
So why not just leave his ass in Lincoln? He didn't make the decision to travel, he was put on the travel roster by the staff. When you have a diva on your squad you either deal with it or enable the diva. If you choose to enable, then the diva is going to continue to diva.

Seeing his passing, I'm not sure he could QB at a good DII school either. Even at DII level, you have to be able to throw the football. Defenders may not be as big and fast as D1, but your receivers aren't either. So, you still have to get the ball to a spot in a hurry - not to mention getting it in a window 40 yards down field. I don't think he can do that. Now, a DII school that has the QB run the ball all over the place would be a different story. His superior athletic ability could make him a star running QB at that level - until he takes an unfortunate hit to the lower legs from someone.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Neb fans ( as would others ) would change back to loving him as soon as he said he was coming back to nu
They would ride the roller coaster / bandwagon because he is a great ball player

I actually believe that as well.

Holla
The only caveat to that is that IF Luke had stayed and been willing to be a Swiss Army Knife for our offense, he could have helped us win games. He's an explosive athlete who knows enough about playing QB to allow you to use him in gadget plays. Wingback reverse passes. Use him as the pitch back on an option play and throw the halfback pass etc. He could have helped us if he had been a team player.

The transfer rules need to be tightened up. These players go from school to school looking for nirvana when in most cases they are better off staying and working on improving at their original school. He isn't a QB, and needs to accept that. He has a lot of athletic ability and could be a great receiver if he would stop trying to be something that Div IA competition shows he is not. He'll end up like Tate Martell at the rate he is going.

The only caveat to that is that IF Luke had stayed and been willing to be a Swiss Army Knife for our offense, he could have helped us win games. He's an explosive athlete who knows enough about playing QB to allow you to use him in gadget plays. Wingback reverse passes. Use him as the pitch back on an option play and throw the halfback pass etc. He could have helped us if he had been a team player.
Exactly. He'll bounce around from school to school and not accomplish what he otherwise could if he just accepted that his throwing ability isn' that of a Div IA QB but he has the athletic ability to be a dangerous receiver and return man. Kid is getting surprisingly bad advice from his family or whoever he listens to.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie

Spot on.. but he puts the “me” in team. Dude only cares about himself.

I agree with that. Problem is Luke had made it pretty obvious he wasn't interested in doing that thus his "loss" imo isn't what I would call a "loss". Because technically we lost Luke ...the QB.

If you were to tell me he was willing to do all the other stuff you mentioned I'd agree completely that he would be a loss. Otherwise him leaving was a big deal in the grand scheme of things IMO.

I actually think Gebbia could've/would've been a better QB than Luke,Vestal, and and the other backup guy in 2018 (forget his name). Whether he would've beaten out Martinez (probably not) he would've at least got his shot by week two. Unfortunately he left so we never got to see. Either way water under the bridge now.

Holla

The transfer rules need to be tightened up. These players go from school to school looking for nirvana when in most cases they are better off staying and working on improving at their original school. He isn't a QB, and needs to accept that. He has a lot of athletic ability and could be a great receiver if he would stop trying to be something that Div IA competition shows he is not. He'll end up like Tate Martell at the rate he is going.
He originally went to Nebraska only because we were the best at assuring him that we would keep and develop him at QB. If he was clearly willing to consider position changes, he had better offers he would have chosen. If we were abandoning our commitment to develop him at QB, it is no surprise that he abandoned ship.

What is surprising is that despite being older and wiser and with great parental tutelage, he didn’t make a surer escape plan. Now he looks bad.

I agree with that. Problem is Luke had made it pretty obvious he wasn't interested in doing that thus his "loss" imo isn't what I would call a "loss". Because technically we lost Luke ...the QB.

If you were to tell me he was willing to do all the other stuff you mentioned I'd agree completely that he would be a loss. Otherwise him leaving was a big deal in the grand scheme of things IMO.

I actually think Gebbia could've/would've been a better QB than Luke,Vestal, and and the other backup guy in 2018 (forget his name). Whether he would've beaten out Martinez (probably not) he would've at least got his shot by week two. Unfortunately he left so we never got to see. Either way water under the bridge now.

Holla
The backup had to make one play against CU. TG does that and I think the season turns out differently.

Holla
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out for him. The sudden departure from Louisville makes me think that somebody has made him an offer. My judgement at 19-20 years old wouldn't have been any better than his.

Reactions: kidofSN

Holla
Gebbia would have played a bunch that first year due to Martinez's injuries. He would have at least gotten multiple starts to show what he could do. I think he might have beaten Martinez out IF he had stuck around.

I think he might have beaten Martinez out IF he had stuck around.
Hard to say but he might if Frost were willing to tweak the game plan somewhat when Gebbia was in to not rely so much on the QB run and rely more on Gebbia'a ability to pass (better than 2AM) and more power running. Unfortunately, I think we have all seen that Scott likes to pound round pegs into square holes often. Most recently running Wan'Dale between the tackles.

The backup had to make one play against CU. TG does that and I think the season turns out differently.
Bunch came in on 1st and 20 because of a holding call on the play were Martinez was injured. Ozigbo on a hand off, Bunch on a QB draw, CU used their 1st TO, then on 3rd and 16 then Bunch hit Spielmann in the chest with a ball that should have been a 1st down, but the receiver dropped it. Clock stopped with 2:34 to play. Punt Colorado takes over 77 yards away with 2:23 on the clock and 2 TO. Defense got it to 3rd and 24 and Antonio Reed commits the dumbest defensive penalty of the year, trying to lay out the receiver after the ball sailed over his head. It would have been 4th and 24 from the CU 45, instead 1st and 10 from the Nebraska 40, next play TD, misses the 2 pt conversion, leaving 1:03 on the clock. First play after the kickoff, Bunch hits Williams, first down at midfield, 2nd play, the OLine let Colorado DLine basically come in untouched and Bunch threw it away, 3rd play, Bunch hit the TE for about 4 yards, 3rd and 6 and Bunch hits Morgan for a 1st down at the 22 yard line :22 on the clock. Then we have the beautiful false start that forces Frost to use his last timeout to avoid a 10 second runoff. 1st and 15 swing pass to Bell for 5 yards. 2nd down and 10, pass incomplete to Morgan in the corner of the endzone, 3rd and 10, pass incomplete to Williams, 4th down, Colorado brought the blitz and Bunch threw it up for grabs in the endzone.

What one single play does Tristan Gebbia make in that sequence that would have been the difference? I think some revisionist history is going on here.

You want to know what the difference in the game is to me, Frost continuing to have the team snap the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock with the clock running. He didn't force Colorado to use all of their TOs on defense. How about JD catching the freaking ball that hit him in the chest? How about Reed not hitting a receiver without the ball giving them a 1st down at our 40?

Gebbia would have played a bunch that first year due to Martinez's injuries. He would have at least gotten multiple starts to show what he could do. I think he might have beaten Martinez out IF he had stuck around.
More revisionist history. In 2018, 52% of all QBs went on to transfer, mostly back ups that lost jobs. That number is now nearly 60%. To expect a RS freshman to stick around for 4 years to play backup to another freshman is ridiculous thinking. Which is why Frost slow played the announcement until he thought Gebbia didn't have the option to transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT