ADVERTISEMENT

"Matt Rhule unlikely" - Sipple

This is a Really Big Deal, and it's been talked about nationally. It, and other things, makes Nebraska undesirable to some of the finest collegiate athletes out there.

B.S. Most of the top college football programs have never had a black head coach, and very few of the top head coaches right now are black. Of the current Top 25 teams, only Penn State and Notre Dame have black head coaches.

B.S. Most of the top college football programs have never had a black head coach, and very few of the top head coaches right now are black. Of the current Top 25 teams, only Penn State and Notre Dame have black head coaches.
How many colleges have never, ever had a head coach of ANY sport that was/is black? Also, this is a particular Nebraska problem because of political optics, and infamous Omaha segregation.

Is he the booster that's responsible for the train wreck over the last five years? Why don't we invite him to leave the state? We would be better off, it sounds.
Yeah maybe that dude shouldn't have a say, just like any booster that was pushing for Frost to have one more year. Now I want Rhule even less. Get a current college coach that can bring recruits with him.

How many colleges have never, ever had a head coach of ANY sport that was/is black? Also, this is a particular Nebraska problem because of political optics, and infamous Omaha segregation.

Wait until you hear about segregation in places like Alabama and Georgia and Louisiana. Doesn't seem to be affecting their recruiting. Nor does the fact that none of those programs have ever had a black head football coach. Don't remember USC, Clemson, Ohio State, or Tennessee ever having a black head coach, they seem to be recruiting okay.

Do you think any top recruits are going to be like "I'd rather play for Mickey Joseph at Nebraska than Saban or Ryan Day or Dabo because he's black"?

USC, Donte Williams. Oliver Purnell, Clemson. Wade Houston, Tennessee. Also, Omaha is the most segregated major city in the U.S. Do your research, please.

giphy.gif

George Flippin attended the University of Nebraska from 1891 to 1894. He was the first African-American football player for the University.

Julius Whittier 1970 was the first black player on the University of Texas football team

Dock Rone was the first official black player for Alabama in 1966

Bill Willis
The first African-American All-American in Ohio State athletics history, the native of Columbus was a member of the 1942 Football team

Larry West, Horace King, Clarence Pope, Chuck Kinnebrew and Richard Appleby were the first African-American football players at Georgia in 1971

hmmm, selective media

This is a Really Big Deal, and it's been talked about nationally. It, and other things, makes Nebraska undesirable to some of the finest collegiate athletes out there.

I'm really afraid that, at the end of the day, Alberts is going to offer the job to the most desperate coach that is available. In that context, I really prefer Joseph, if for nothing else but stability.
Either trollin, or just really bad at this. Imma go with A as the answer.

It doesn't seem like it's helping at all, does it?
Dude our main problem is lack of population in state and geographical region. Just below that is our string of average to below average coaches. We just haven’t stayed up in the Big Ten. We have withered against better competition. Our talent is generally overrated and under developed and coached. Look at our minuscule All-conference picks in the Big Ten and meager draft choices for so many years. Don’t blame the boosters. Lol. That is total denial in our natural state of swimming upstream in the 85 sport of big-time college football. We are in a very critical stage in our college football history. We are the ultimate underdog as a former blue blood of all blue bloods now.

USC, Donte Williams. Oliver Purnell, Clemson. Wade Houston, Tennessee. Also, Omaha is the most segregated major city in the U.S. Do your research, please.
Lol. You do the research. The main problem for the black race is illegitimate births. A 70 percent plus birth rate for unmarried couples is a HUGE anchor for so many to lift and conquer. Many just don’t even with so many social programs. I guess a country, state, cities, community let alone a village can‘t overcome personal responsibility. Ooohh, that is a taboo subject but so much truth there. Please give facts to prove you will be wrong. Racism is real but not like the past. Bring back manufacturing and screw Wall Street. Wall Street should be third in line behind customers and employees. Wring some of the greed and selfishness out for the betterment of society. I go off on a tangent, sometimes. Lol.

So...top football recruits are going to Clemson and Tennessee because they hired black basketball coaches way back before they were even born? And USC because they had a black interim coach for a few games?

Also, Omaha is not even in the Top 25 most segregated cities. Almost all of them are in SEC country, or Michigan or Ohio...all places that are having no trouble recruiting the top football recruits in the country.

Bummer if true on the donor-Twitter follow smoke.

Matt Rhule is a tier 2 hire, but I will wish him the best if hired and look forward to a winning season in 2026!

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Bummer if true on the donor-Twitter follow smoke.

Matt Rhule is a tier 2 hire, but I will wish him the best if hired and look forward to a winning season in 2026!
Who’s all in your tier One in the first place besides Urban and Kiffin ?

Reactions: Bold Words
Don't quote me on this, but I think that $85+ million buyout for Jimbo is fully guaranteed. Meaning, he'll get it all from aTm no matter if he coaches again or not. I don't think the aggies are getting out from under anything

I hope he does. These guaranteed contracts are freaking stupid.

Is he the booster that's responsible for the train wreck over the last five years? Why don't we invite him to leave the state? We would be better off, it sounds.
Um no. We would not be better off without him. There were lots of powerful people last fall who wanted to let Frost make changes to his staff. Hindsight is always 20:20 and this guy has zero influence on who is going to get the job

First, he forces Trev to keep Frost another year, now he might tank the Ruhle deal. How can someone who gives so many millions of dollars do so much damage?
He didn’t force Trev to do anything. There were multiple people who thought a change in staff could work.

He didn’t force Trev to do anything. There were multiple people who thought a change in staff could work.
these multiple people are still deeply embedded in the program and apparently tell Trev what he can and cannot do - to the point of bringing back a 4 year failure who had just gone 1-8 in the conference , for year 5 - no sane person or high level program committed to winning would have done that

if I am a new prospective coach that sets off alarm bells

these multiple people are still deeply embedded in the program and apparently tell Trev what he can and cannot do - to the point of bringing back a 4 year failure who had just gone 1-8 in the conference , for year 5 - no sane person or high level program committed to winning would have done that

if I am a new prospective coach that sets off alarm bells
There’s a difference between telling the AD what he can do and stating your opinion on a matter. Then it’s up to the AD to make what he views as the correct course of action. Too many posters in this board must have never been in a position to lead a large organization. It’s a balancing act.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
There’s a difference between telling the AD what he can do and stating your opinion on a matter. Then it’s up to the AD to make what he views as the correct course of action. Too many posters in this board must have never been in a position to lead a large organization. It’s a balancing act.
good upper level leadership knows you hire competent people and don't meddle in things you have no clue about

I question Trev's up lines if they are giving weighted opinions that are tied to funding in areas they have no clue about

the dirty fact of the matter is that Trev's up-lines lent more weight to Matt Davison's opinion than Trev's with regards to the coaching situation heading into this year -- hopefully they realize Trev was right and get out of his way

good upper level leadership knows you hire competent people and don't meddle in things you have no clue about

I question Trev's up lines if they are giving weighted opinions that are tied to funding in areas they have no clue about

the dirty fact of the matter is that Trev's up-lines lent more weight to Matt Davison's opinion than Trev's with regards to the coaching situation heading into this year -- hopefully they realize Trev was right and get out of his way
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I’ve made the point multiple times on this board that the AD’s job is highly political. He can’t go full rogue like Pedie or Eichorst did. I guarantee you that ALL of the boosters said WTH when he hired Riley.

Make no mistake Trev has to balance everybody in the skyboxes, Pillen, Tom, the BOR etc. It’s not an easy job. IMO IF he thought he had a home run hire last fall he would have pulled the plug regardless of the opinion of some of the boosters. You don’t can your coach if you’re not sure you’ve got a better option.

Politically he did what Pederson should have probably done. He waited until there was no doubt within the powers that be that a move needed to be made. Long term it might have been the best move. Not a single national pundit or booster can say “he was so close and needed more time”.

While one major donor cannot technically tell the AD what to do, when he threatens to pull funding for a major project that is already underway, the AD's hands start to get pretty tied.

Who’s all in your tier One in the first place besides Urban and Kiffin ?

He's a clueless jackass just looking to start shit. But when I asked him that same question he eventually responded with...... Klieman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT