ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule salary

I hope the number is closer to 9 than to 6. A coach is only as good as his coaching staff.

If we want to keep Mickey, get the DL coach from aTM (ant least $1M each), hire elite coordinators ( at least $1.5M each), and of course go get an top notch OL coach, that will take an investment.
We over paid for Rhule, better not get cheap now.

We have paid out the most money for fired coaches for years.. the AD office and administration want to keep the record going. Unreal 40 million bailout.. then to do this again in 3 years.. lmao.. the University is a complete joke anyanymore
If we hadn't done it Wisconsin would have then we would have Leipold or Mickey. In 3 years we either wouldn't have a defense or our offensive line would still be shit. Welcome to the new world of college football.

If we hadn't done it Wisconsin would have then we would have Leipold or Mickey. In 3 years we either wouldn't have a defense or our offensive line would still be shit. Welcome to the new world of college football.
maybe.. i think we would be in a better position in 3 years had we gone with MJ.. it's impossible to prove either way at this point. Time will tell though.

One silver lining in the money discussion is we didn’t have to pay a buyout to hire an HC. That would have been dead money.

And some people were worried that Trev was going to go cheap. You knew when he swallowed that HUGE Frost buyout without a blink and bumped up Mickey's salary that Trev was a big spender. Let's hope he creates a big assistant pool as well. I always believed the assistant pool ought to be at least as big as the head coach's annual salary.

P.S. And the Panthers have to be thrilled that Nebraska is going to pick up all of the remainder of their buyout. I just hope Trev is smart enough to include the same clause that Rhule's buy out from Nebraska would be reduced by a competitive salary as well should Rhule take another job after being fired (hopefully that isn't necessary of course).
Trev got by cheap for Mickey being the interim. At a little over $33,000 a month more....Mickey took on the mess Frost left.....literally set up for failure. So...that is probably less than a total of $75,000 extra for Mickey. I dont care if MJ has never been a P5 HC or coordinator.......big difference between what Trev was willing to pay MJ to maintain the program vs what Trev ended up giving MR.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N
maybe.. i think we would be in a better position in 3 years had we gone with MJ.. it's impossible to prove either way at this point. Time will tell though.
I was willing to give Mickey a chance based on a few things that he failed to sell to me. 1)His game time decisions were almost as bad as Frost’s. That kickoff return with 37 seconds left then having a WR miss his pass to the ref when you have 2 timeouts against Wisconsin was peak clown show.
2) I didn't hear any vision on what he would do, who he would hire to fix our offensive line. Without a line, forget having Trey Palmer type skill players. They'll break records but the ceiling is 6 wins which we failed to get to but should have easily. Not exactly his entire fault but this rebuild (trenches) is a massive undertaking that isn't necessarily in his wheel house.

I was willing to give Mickey a chance based on a few things that he failed to sell to me. 1)His game time decisions were almost as bad as Frost’s. That kickoff return with 37 seconds left then having a WR miss his pass to the ref when you have 2 timeouts against Wisconsin was peak clown show.
2) I didn't hear any vision on what he would do, who he would hire to fix our offensive line. Without a line, forget having Trey Palmer type skill players. They'll break records but the ceiling is 6 wins which we failed to get to but should have easily. Not exactly his entire fault but this rebuild (trenches) is a massive undertaking that isn't necessarily in his wheel house.
He would have had to give that info to Trev.. I was also interested in knowing who he would hire, but it sounds like it never happened.

As for the offensive game decisions, I think he left those up to Whipple, which unfortunately was a bad idea. That guy sucked and when we didn't have a backup QB, we were DOA. Not MJ fault.

I go to the person and was he right for the players and could he recruit. I think he would have been good for the long game, but we keep flipping coaches every 3-5 years, and this one likely won't last either.

Now if MJ gets picked up as a head coach, which may happen and he has a bunch of success, while Rhule is fighting off the media here like he did with the panthers, well it will be pretty obvious how Nebraska fumbled another one away.

He would have had to give that info to Trev.. I was also interested in knowing who he would hire, but it sounds like it never happened.

As for the offensive game decisions, I think he left those up to Whipple, which unfortunately was a bad idea. That guy sucked and when we didn't have a backup QB, we were DOA. Not MJ fault.

I go to the person and was he right for the players and could he recruit. I think he would have been good for the long game, but we keep flipping coaches every 3-5 years, and this one likely won't last either.

Now if MJ gets picked up as a head coach, which may happen and he has a bunch of success, while Rhule is fighting off the media here like he did with the panthers, well it will be pretty obvious how Nebraska fumbled another one away.
Even if Mickey gets a job at a group of 5 and is moderately successful doesn't mean he would be here. We have receipts for that.

We don't even know if Mickey is leaving or staying. If he stays we still have a great recruiter and receivers coach. If he doesn't I'm sure we will still have some decent recruiters.

Reactions: headcard
Even if Mickey gets a job at a group of 5 and is moderately successful doesn't mean he would be here. We have receipts for that.

We don't even know if Mickey is leaving or staying. If he stays we still have a great recruiter and receivers coach. If he doesn't I'm sure we will still have some decent recruiters.
Would you stay after what they just did to him?

lol.. I don't think I would, and he's going to have options, but after Trev slow walked him, I wouldn't be massaging my junk for another season at Big Red.

lol.. I don't think I would, and he's going to have options, but after Trev slow walked him, I wouldn't be massaging my junk for another season at Big Red.
He said he wants to stay so who knows.

No freaking way you hire Mickey with zero head coaching experience and little to no coordinator experience.

It was made clear that Mickey was free to make decisions as he saw fit and repeatedly we saw the same game management catastrophes that should be simple.

Could he make the correct assistant coaching decisions, the correct strength and conditioning program? Who knows because he's never done it before.

I'm lukewarm on the Rhule hire at best but at least he's been a semi-successful college coach that has taken two different schools in different conferences and parts of the country and won 10 or 11 games with them before moving on.

I don't like hiring a coach that was just fired but as we all know, the NFL is not college football.

Pay out the ass for assistants and give this thing a real shot.

MJ was set up from day one. He was expected to create a winning season after Frost couldn't get it done in how many? I dont think Trev was ever going to consider MJ.

If you do the math, MJ made a little over 1 mil per year as the HC.
MR is going to make 9 mil a year?
Trev got by cheap having MJ the interim. Sure had never been a P5 HC or coordinator, and this was an interim position......but those salaries are on polar opposites. 9x difference?

MJ was set up from day one. He was expected to create a winning season after Frost couldn't get it done in how many? I dont think Trev was ever going to consider MJ.

Trev got by cheap having MJ the interim. Sure had never been a P5 HC or coordinator, and this was an interim position......but those salaries are on polar opposites. 9x difference?
To clarify...I am not saying MJ should have been hired as the HC.

We have paid out the most money for fired coaches for years.. the AD office and administration want to keep the record going. Unreal 40 million bailout.. then to do this again in 3 years.. lmao.. the University is a complete joke anymore.
How much of that have you paid? Since you say “we”, I’m sure you’re keeping track

No freaking way you hire Mickey with zero head coaching experience and little to no coordinator experience.

It was made clear that Mickey was free to make decisions as he saw fit and repeatedly we saw the same game management catastrophes that should be simple.

Could he make the correct assistant coaching decisions, the correct strength and conditioning program? Who knows because he's never done it before.

I'm lukewarm on the Rhule hire at best but at least he's been a semi-successful college coach that has taken two different schools in different conferences and parts of the country and won 10 or 11 games with them before moving on.

I don't like hiring a coach that was just fired but as we all know, the NFL is not college football.

Pay out the ass for assistants and give this thing a real shot.
Semi-successful?

Nebraska fan obsession with coaching salaries is fascinating. No one here is affected by Rhules salary. The athletic department isn’t going broke. Why does anyone care what the salary is?
Say it louder. The women and their low iq husbands were busy crying

His agent squeezed every last drop he could get. High stakes game of brinksmanship and they were negotiating from a very strong position. There’s no way Rhule wasn’t our first choice if we were willing to give him that deal.
This pretty much what I was saying last week. I think Rhule was Trev's #1 target (after he knew Urban was off the table). I think they were close to a deal, then Tepper/Carolina balked at how much they still had to pay. The deal cooled. Trev reached out to some other targets and got lukewarm response for a variety of reasons (Fickell being one of them). They re-engaged with Rhule/agent and upped the ante and the deal got done. In the end, it all worked out and Trev got the guy he wanted. Win win.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Not that crazy all things considered. Like it or not it’s the going rate for a top coach. At a place like Nebraska that doesn’t have the recruiting pool, we will have to pay a little extra.

It’s also huge that we didn’t have to pay any buyout money to the Panthers, that essentially increases what we were able to pay him by ~10 million.

No idea what people would be upset by this. We’re finally doing what it takes to win.

If he's going to bring in a good chunk of old "Rhule guys" I doubt the pool has to be huge. Not all of those guys are top of the stack. I think we'll have a decent pay pool, but not the top one in the country.

If he's going to bring in a good chunk of old "Rhule guys" I doubt the pool has to be huge. Not all of those guys are top of the stack. I think we'll have a decent pay pool, but not the top one in the country.

You might want to look into that. Some of his former assistants are making big money at other schools right now, (Fran Brown at Georgia, Elijah Robinson at aTm) plus Mickey will probably cost us at least $1M if we want to keep him.

MJ has been an offensive coach for most of his adult life. If he couldn't take the reigns to steer the offense in the right direction, that tells all you need to know about his abilities as a head coach.

Nice. Big boy football decision. We will likely always have to pay above the going rate to get someone big time to Nebraska. It’s not my money, or anyone else’s on this board. So much dumb on this board acting like the salary size is a bad thing. Children.

Set up? I don’t agree at all. Mickey was given the opportunity of a lifetime. One of which he didn’t earn. Despite some fan created narrative, Mickeys expectations were to keep the team together enough to finish the season while we find a real coach and plot a new course. Had Mickey somehow made a run, which was definitely possible considering the competition, then he might’ve been considered for the job. That’s it and that’s that. I hope we keep Mickey in a recruiting capacity, but if he has a better opportunity, then good on him.

Wow. That's a little embarrassing we paid that much. We probably should have just kept Mickey. IDK.. Whatever. My level of give a shit is busted.
If we kept Mickey, that means that we are ok with losing to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Purdue year after year.

Set up? I don’t agree at all. Mickey was given the opportunity of a lifetime. One of which he didn’t earn. Despite some fan created narrative, Mickeys expectations were to keep the team together enough to finish the season while we find a real coach and plot a new course. Had Mickey somehow made a run, which was definitely possible considering the competition, then he might’ve been considered for the job. That’s it and that’s that. I hope we keep Mickey in a recruiting capacity, but if he has a better opportunity, then good on him.
Absolutely, Mickey was given a fantastic opportunity to win the job outright and just didn't get it done. He's just not HC material at this level.

You might want to look into that. Some of his former assistants are making big money at other schools right now, (Fran Brown at Georgia, Elijah Robinson at aTm) plus Mickey will probably cost us at least $1M if we want to keep him.
I mean his early pattern doesn’t appear to be Dan Snyder buy all the former pro bowl guys type approach.

He’s paying for dudes he knows and two of them appear to have been co- somethings. Not “the” guys at the top of the pay chain.

If he continues this pattern and will be choosy about where he’s going to spend big money I hope he calls Jim Leonard but I don’t expect him too.

Money had better not be an issue for top asistants other wise why even be in the big ten? Go to the top dudes with a blank check.

We have paid out the most money for fired coaches for years.. the AD office and administration want to keep the record going. Unreal 40 million bailout.. then to do this again in 3 years.. lmao.. the University is a complete joke anymore.
This ^^^ x 3 million more than what we should've paid per year for rhule. That's the only reason he took the job, he could've stayed home and got paid unless we overdid it

• Haha
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT