ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Farniok to start out at RG

Corcoran playing LG? Or who is slated for that spot?

Banks and Benhart battling it out for RT.

I assume Benhart will be the RT, but Banks, Bando and Gaylord will all get a shot.

LG will be fascinating to watch. It could be any of: Hixon, Wilson, Piper, Corcoran or Bando. Heck the German transfer from CSU could even be in the mix, if he gets a waiver. While both Hixon and Wilson have starting experience, my money is on Piper.

"That way there's a veteran on each side of the line with Brenden Jaimes at LT."

Seems like kind of an odd explanation, given that Wilson has made 21 consecutive starts at RG.

I caught that too. Wilson was pretty bad last year (he and Bando were splitting a lot of reps by the end of the season), would anyone be shocked if he got passed by a guy like Piper or Corcoran?

Last edited:
It seems there may be plenty more competition than what we’ve seen for a while so even “if” it was the same starting 5 as last year (not likely), then at least they will have earned their place a little more.

My bets are on Jaimes, Piper, Jurgens, Farniok, Benhart with much improved depth behind them- a real luxury from what we had before.

However, I’m not ready to anoint anyone- esp. Benhart/Piper- until they earn it.
We got some guys who will be competing and pushing for playing time.
Wilson won’t sit back quietly, Bando’s been coming strong, Banks has been talked up, Gaylord is playing for his dad, Sichterman is a veteran, Will Farniok wants to prove himself, Lynn, Anderson are gonna develop... and oh yeah a top 100 OL prospect in Corcoran coming in to see if he can play with the big boys (usually frosh OL are never ready).

Football talk! Yay!
So LT=Jaimes, C=Jurgens, RG=MFarniok Then lots of competion for the other spots. I love to hear that Banks and Benhart are showing promise at tackle. With Jaimes, Farniok, and Gaylord all seniors, we need the up and coming talent to get ready. That RS Fresh offensive line class was always going to be key to our rebuild.

Trying Farniok at RG makes sense to me. I think there will be less of a change for footwork staying on the same side as well as knowing right side plays.

I also think that they have a lot of options for LG. Really like the depth of the OL.
I'm not against the idea of Farniok staying on the right side, I just figured he would have a better chance of displacing Hixson than Wilson. But as others have noted, the staff may be looking at someone brand new for LG and prefers to put that person next to its most proven lineman (Jaimes). If that's the case, letting Wilson and Farniok slug it out for RG would make sense.

I agree with everyone in this thread, this move makes much more sense and it does allow a player like Turner Corcoran an opportunity to start or at least a real shot at it. Having Jaimes and Jurgens on both sides would be very helpful. And no, I’m not saying he will start, I’m just saying this would open the door for a young player like him having experienced guys on both sides.

I wonder if they’d play Banks at Left Guard? Just an idea that popped in my head. That would help get possibly our best 5 Olinemen all on the field. Then after this season, jump Banks our to left tackle and bring in Turner Corcoran in for the Left Guard spot and let Piper or the German OG have Farniok’s side on the right side. The 2021 season Oline would look like this then...

B Banks OT, T Corcoran OG, C Jurgens OC, E Piper OG, B Benhart OT

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
Watching him against chase young last year was hilarious. Dude has no punch, bad feet, terrible hand placement. Easier to get away with that inside.

well, the plus side to that is most DTs and NGs the guards face aren’t usually as fast as DEs like Chase Young. Guard is the perfect fit for Farniok.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone in this thread, this move makes much more sense and it does allow a player like Turner Corcoran an opportunity to start or at least a real shot at it. Having Jaimes and Jurgens on both sides would be very helpful. And no, I’m not saying he will start, I’m just saying this would open the door for a young player like him having experienced guys on both sides.

I wonder if they’d play Banks at Left Guard? Just an idea that popped in my head. That would help get possibly our best 5 Olinemen all on the field. Then after this season, jump Banks our to left tackle and bring in Turner Corcoran in for the Left Guard spot and let Piper or the German OG have Farniok’s side on the right side. The 2021 season Oline would look like this then...

B Banks OT, T Corcoran OG, C Jurgens OC, E Piper OG, B Benhart OT
I agree with you thoughts on the 2021 OL. However, the German kid could be a wildcard. If he is so good he needs to be on the field, he could send Corcoran or Piper to the bench, or Corcoran could slide out to LT and move Banks to the bench. Either way, it sound like we hit on multiple OL last year, which will lead to better depth for several seasons.

Watching him against chase young last year was hilarious. Dude has no punch, bad feet, terrible hand placement. Easier to get away with that inside.

I listened to/watched a Youtube analysis of Nebraska's roster today that mentioned Jaimes did a great job against Chase Young last year, and VERY few B1G linemen can say that. He's our strongest lineman, and will be great as our starter at LT.

I agree with you thoughts on the 2021 OL. However, the German kid could be a wildcard. If he is so good he needs to be on the field, he could send Corcoran or Piper to the bench, or Corcoran could slide out to LT and move Banks to the bench. Either way, it sound like we hit on multiple OL last year, which will lead to better depth for several seasons.
That kid from CSU was a pleasant surprise, I forgot about him. Looks like he has some nasty to his game, I would think he makes a big push for a starting spot next year.

OL is making steps in the right direction, we're not talking about multiple walk ons in the two deep.

So is Will Farniok looking like a non contributor? I haven't heard much about him from coaches since he got here.

I have wondered if Will Farniok will obviously be Jurgens back up but I do wonder if he doesn’t slide over to guard if we need him too? If guys like Piper, Corcoran and so on don’t step it up, maybe W Farniok would be an option there?

Reactions: BigRedRising
Trying Farniok at RG makes sense to me. I think there will be less of a change for footwork staying on the same side as well as knowing right side plays.

I also think that they have a lot of options for LG. Really like the depth of the OL.
Farniok really wants to play at the next level and IF he gets a shot it would be as a guard not tackle. Hope this works out for him and us.

The fact that Frost is acknowledging the plan is to have Jaimes, ____, Jurgens, Farniok and Benhart, it really leaves only the one big question mark there at LG.
Obviously anybody could step up anywhere across the line but getting continuity will be important with potentially limited prep time.
With a fierce battle for LG (Piper is who I predicted earlier), it’s not a bad looking line.
Putting Farniok at RG also indicates the film review led them to believe Wilson was expendable.

With hopefully a fresh crew of WR’s ready to role, this offense has some exciting potential behind that line.

.... but it’s still gonna take a lot to get that high octane fuel pumpin: all gas no brakes.

Well in fairness to Wilson, the Frost quote/comment says Farniok is going to start out at RG, not that he's going to start at RG. Maybe they envision those two splitting time.

I agree, but I’ve never really heard coaches talk about Wilson at all, ever.
While Farniok is the vocal leader in the OL room- potential captain.
Obviously he needs to prove it on the field, but it’s more reading between the lines... and if they liked Wilson’s potential they’d probably move Matt to LG.

Here is a link to the press conference. It is really worth watching.

Coach Frost seems really comfortable/confident and doesn’t hesitate with his responses. I am feeling a little more “comfortable/confident” after watching that. Winking

How can you be confident when there has been next to zero practices? Frost doesn’t even know what he has this season yet? Unless a team that was good last year returns a lot, the coach can’t be confident yet since there was no spring.

Obviously he needs to prove it on the field, but it’s more reading between the lines... and if they liked Wilson’s potential they’d probably move Matt to LG.
I've heard Austin talk about Wilson. He's got a nasty streak but I think I remember somebody saying that his pass pro could be better. I've never really focused on him too much. That's hard to do when either the snap's were so bad early on or later Farniok was getting beat.

Getting awfully late to talk about either's potential, actually. But if they're being asked to split time, I don't think that's a bad idea at all. Taking a series or two off per quarter beats taking a play or two off per series.

Reactions: HominidHusker
My guess is LG is wide open. What seems to have opened this up is that they are not going to use Hixson except as a complete and total back-up, and Benhart must be coming along well enough now to where they think he can start at RT with a veteran RT starting right next to him at RG. I think Wilson will probably be a backup or maybe take a shot at starting LG. And that is simply on his level of seniority (knowledge and physical development), not that I think he's great. He's a step up from Hixson, but he's not amazing.

I thought the offense did much better two years ago once wilson was playing more. Dont think he played as well last year. Maybe he's a better as a part-timer.

I thought the offense did much better two years ago once wilson was playing more. Dont think he played as well last year. Maybe he's a better as a part-timer.

Yeah, and something they are saying in a lot of early analysis publications is, the O-Line is finally getting close to where it needs to be in terms of depth. We have a lot of seasoned guys starting, and we actually have some pretty darn good depth behind them. It's not plug-and-play yet, but it's going to be far better than last year was. ...Which isn't saying much.

Where do I start....so many things in these post make me pause and almost giggle. So Bryce Benhart was a top player in the country coming out of HS, but was unable to impress enough to move Farniok inside to replace anyone. But Corcoran is going to be good enough to pass everyone else?

I thought true freshman were just too underdeveloped to start as true freshmen?

I believe a simpler explanation is that Wilson is comfortable at guard, he can play either right or left, Farniok has been a tackle, on the right side for 4 years, keeping him on the right side for this final year makes sense. I would think that Wilson could very well be the starting left guard.

Hell, who is to say that Frost thinks that it is better to have Wilson and Jaimes on the left side protecting the blind side because they provide the best combo on that side?

It always amazes me how quickly we forget the rules....true freshmen don't start on the oline at Nebraska being the first rule... ha ha ha

TC a higher rated player than BB.

ha ha ha ha ok both 4 star players, both Army All Americans, both highly recruited. Neither will start as true freshman at Nebraska.

if you want to discuss my opinions, at least do me the favor of @ me or quoting what I typed. makes for a better discussion.

I think theres generally a difference between a top 65 player nationally and a top 135 player nationally. I'm not saying he'll start. I read the thread and dont remember anyone predicting he would start, just that he could be in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT