ADVERTISEMENT

Masters of the air

I'll finally cave and get a month of apple tv or whatever it's called. Is itv1 episode a week?

I thought the first episode was exceptional. The second was not quite as good but still it looks very promising. Looking forward to next week.

Huge fan of Band of Brothers. The Pacific less so. Hopefully the quality is better than the Pacific

I've been looking forward Masters of the Air since the project was announced. The standard was set so high by its predecessors, but I haven't been disappointed. The preview criticism seemed to be about the CGI aircraft. Unless there is a fleet of airworthy B-17's sitting around that I don't know about, the producers had no choice. I looked it up, there are currently four in flying condition, with two more flightworthy models out of commission due to maintenance.

I read the book last spring, and it was extremely well researched. There was far too much material to cover in such a short series, so hopefully the script writers did a good job. Focusing one one core group of characters should make it more like Band of Brothers than The Pacific. I've already noticed a number of tiny details covered in the book that could only be glossed over on TV.

I think The Pacific was less liked because it was essentially three separate stories glued together; the only thing the characters had in common is that they were Marines in the Pacific. I read all of the source material for those series, and ironically Band of Brothers was the weakest of the bunch. Leckie and Sledge were both far superior writers to Ambrose.

Huge fan of Band of Brothers. The Pacific less so. Hopefully the quality is better than the Pacific
Band of Brothers was fantastic. I think pacific suffered from lack of continuity, and that the War in the Pacific was so gruesome in the way that it was fought there wasn’t an uplifting story like at the end of BOB.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
would need clarification. Seems more like Dunkirk in that it is a real story, but the realism is more like SPR.
I’m looking for the realism factor, love war movies/stories but dunkirk, all quiet on western front, enemy at the gates don’t have the sizzle as SPR.

Reactions: thall__
I’m looking for the realism factor, love war movies/stories but dunkirk, all quiet on western front, enemy at the gates don’t have the sizzle as SPR.
I think it is the humanity of the men who went through these incredibly difficult things that really draw the viewer in to where they are invested in the well-being of the soldiers. For example, when a loved character is killed, you feel a sense of loss, or when a hated character (ie Sobol) gets their just desserts, it is satisfying

I think that was my problem with Dunkirk and 1917. They were great and unique cinematically, but I didn’t feel a connection to the characters. I think some stories are just difficult to adapt to the screen in the limited amount of time available. Boys in the boat and Seabiscuit are amazing books but not very good as movies IMO. If I’ve read the book, I almost don’t want to see the movie for fear of being disappointed.

Reactions: cavalot
Loved boys in the boat. Read it about 6 years ago or so. Excited by the movie. I'm sure a lot of the details regarding Joe's early life struggles will be glossed over.

Loved boys in the boat. Read it about 6 years ago or so. Excited by the movie. I'm sure a lot of the details regarding Joe's early life struggles will be glossed over.
That was true. It would’ve done really well as a mini series but I don’t think enough people are drawn to that sport or era of time, even though the book really wasn’t about the sport itself. It was more a book about the hard times of the great depression.

I think it is the humanity of the men who went through these incredibly difficult things that really draw the viewer in to where they are invested in the well-being of the soldiers. For example, when a loved character is killed, you feel a sense of loss, or when a hated character (ie Sobol) gets their just desserts, it is satisfying

I think that was my problem with Dunkirk and 1917. They were great and unique cinematically, but I didn’t feel a connection to the characters. I think some stories are just difficult to adapt to the screen in the limited amount of time available. Boys in the boat and Seabiscuit are amazing books but not very good as movies IMO. If I’ve read the book, I almost don’t want to see the movie for fear of being disappointed.
Absolutely on the individual men/soldiers. How did they do it? Could we do that, be that brave, take those risks?

I thought The Pacific was good from an action standpoint. I didn't feel the same connection to the characters as Band of Brothers though. That's something that BoB really nailed.

Reactions: Huskers123456
I actually just watched the Pacific all the way through. Both were great. Band Of Brothers was better. Pacific was harder to follow imo. Still better than most anything that is out there.

Rotten tomatoes so far had Pacific slightly higher than masters of the air with band of brothers being the best.

When it released Friday they allowed the first 2 episodes to be streamed... it's pretty good and the CGI/cinematography is incredible... one of the best I've seen for making so many planes look real. The film has a bit of a "Midway" feel to it if you liked that movie...

In a world full of garbage sitcoms and reality shows where I struggle to find anything worth while to watch on TV this is a very welcome series... I'm just saddened it's only 9 episodes... I'd rank it up there with 1883 & Yellowstone for comparison

Reactions: cornhustler
Band of Brothers will never be matched. As others have said, you are drawn to the characters and feel their loss and despair. I actually feel guilty for not having experienced what they had. The actors were fantastic and truly became the characters that they were portraying.

I have watched the first two episodes of MOTA. It's good but so far a bit slow. I wouldn't say that I have been drawn towards any one character over another. But the dude with the gold tooth gets my attention from time to time. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT