ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Eats

Jan 14, 2009
Hi Guys!

Im from NJ and coming in for the basketball game on 11/14. That board barely posts so I thought it best to post here. Ive never been to Lincoln so im looking for suggustions as to what to eat before the game. Is there a restaurant and even thing you guys are known for that I can do before the game?I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Hi Guys!

Im from NJ and coming in for the basketball game on 11/14. That board barely posts so I thought it best to post here. Ive never been to Lincoln so im looking for suggustions as to what to eat before the game. Is there a restaurant and even thing you guys are known for that I can do before the game?I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

There are plenty of places to choose from near Pinnacle Bank Arena. There's Longwells, BurgerFi, Lazlo's, Brewsky's.

Parthenon
Runza ( everyone not from here should try it once)
Honest Abes Burgers
Happy Raven for beer

ls.jpg

This place doesn't get mentioned on here very much, but I like leadbellys. Fairly reasonable prices and some interesting menu items.

Second that. Leadbelly kicks ass. They really take pride their food. Lots of locally sourced items on the menu. It's sit down with wait service, but very casual.

If you're looking for something more formal, some other choices near PBA:

Vincenzo's (Italian)
Blue Orchid (Thai)
Dish (American fare)

The local Burger Kings are fire.

Dude c'mon be nice haha.

Hi Guys!

Wings at the Watering Hole are pretty good.

Lazlos is fantastic! Garlic dipping sauce for your French fries!! Haymarket area

If you like Indian, The Oven is good. Haymarket area

If you like Cajun, Buzzard Billy's has a good andouille sausage Po Boy that is great. Haymarket area.

Ticos is a decent local Mexican restaurant that has been in Lincoln since the early 70's???

Vincenzos is a pretty good Italian restaurant in the Haymarket

Copal is damn fine mexican and has a good tequilla selection

Single Barrel downtown is a good choice too

Blue orchid (thai), leadbellys (bar food), honest abes (burgers), the oven (indian), yia yias (pizza) depends what you're in the mood for but lots of good choices in the downtown/railyard area.

Numerous restaurants within easy walking distance of PBA. All of them are decent or better with almost all cuisines . With a walk around the area you will find what you are looking for. All priced fairly. If you are staying just tell your motel clerk what you are looking for and you will be directed. I trust you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Bison Witches is the best, can't go wrong with anything there and it is a fun place.

Also Runza, make sure you get the onion ring dip (which very sadly isn't available at all locations)

Why are people recommending Italian places to a guy from NJ?

The arena is down in the Railyard area. There's plenty of restaurants and bars right across the street. You should be able to find something right there.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Hi Guys!

Won't find a good steak unfortunately

Reactions: Sinomatic
Hi Guys!

Leadbelly has a unique menu (love rhe Hangover Helper} but it's close to PBA so it will be busy, get there early.

A Runza is a great local fast food fix if you must. Warning: only eat one and don't eat it just before you leave town.

Hi Guys!

IF you have a Runza, make sure you've got the Maalox Plus along..... Lots of places to eat downtown. Misty's has good Nebraska prime rib and lots of other tasty things. Good appetizers and sides.

Won't find a good steak unfortunately
I had a GREAT steak at the downtown Misty's last fall after a game. It was cooked perfectly and the seasoning was tasty. The appetizers were great. The sides were great. Just a really good meal. The problem with ordering steak anymore is that there is so much variability in tenderness from one box to the next. I don't know if it's the restaurant trying to save a buck by buying high select instead of choice and prime or what. We had prime rib at a function a while back in Omaha that we paid over $50/plate for and the prime rib was almost not chewable. Clearly the place served us a select grade of prime to try to squeeze more money out of us. IF they had told us they needed to charge us more to get a better cut of meat we would have gladly paid more.

I had a GREAT steak at the downtown Misty's last fall after a game. It was cooked perfectly and the seasoning was tasty. The appetizers were great. The sides were great. Just a really good meal. The problem with ordering steak anymore is that there is so much variability in tenderness from one box to the next. I don't know if it's the restaurant trying to save a buck by buying high select instead of choice and prime or what. We had prime rib at a function a while back in Omaha that we paid over $50/plate for and the prime rib was almost not chewable. Clearly the place served us a select grade of prime to try to squeeze more money out of us. IF they had told us they needed to charge us more to get a better cut of meat we would have gladly paid more.
Misty's in Havelock used to be our go to place. Had great prime rib cooked exactly the way I wanted and long cut horseradish.

Not sure what happened but that place has really gone downhill in the last 5-10 years. I've heard that downtown is better than Havelock. If true, that's good and a shame at the same time. Lots of history there.

As cheap as beef is right now, and meats in general (just a suggestion folks, fill up the freezer with beef pork and chicken) it's a crime to pay 50 for select prime rib. IF it's not choice or above, that's a pretty risky move by the caterer. You'll never get it tender enough and keep it medium rare. That belongs in a Crock-Pot.

Tastee Inn was FAR worse. Far worse.

I love a Runza but I respect your opinion.

I meant to type Valentino's. Apparently my tired brain confused the two. I don't mind Runza at all. But Val's is terrible.

Valentino's is pretty good....if you've never had pizza before. Otherwise, it's on par with Little Ceasars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT