ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis to USC

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016
What's all this crap I'm seeing in his crystal ball prediction feed?

Man...I really wanted us to land a 5 star, but it is starting to look grim. DERRION GRIM, you know what I'm saying?

By the way, I see us landing Calvin, Holmes, and Daniels in fairly short order.

I think we need Johnson pretty badly, but I have no idea who we even have our eyes on after that. Foster Sarrell likely isn't coming here...anyone else?

Reactions: craigk
By the way, I see us landing Calvin, Holmes, and Daniels in fairly short order.

I think we need Johnson pretty badly, but I have no idea who we even have our eyes on after that. Foster Sarrell likely isn't coming here...anyone else?
Why would you say Sarrell isn't likely coming? I'd give him at least a 50/50 shot.

Wiltfong has him going to USC as of 12/18 which is probably not good news for us. But, the predictions have been wrong in the past. Is he announcing at the Army All American bowl?

Why would you say Sarrell isn't likely coming? I'd give him at least a 50/50 shot.

Just trying to be realistic. He seems like a HEAVY (zing!) Washington lean. I know Cavanaugh was on him early, and that definitely is a plus for us, but it is looking increasingly like getting a lot of these west coast guys out of their environments is not easy.

Reactions: Zerk
Oh, and by the way: Calvin is a 4 star, and Holmes is a mid to high 3 star; that is still a HELL of a receiver class coming in with three 4 stars and 1 solid three star.

Reactions: Mtnhusker
All of this is sheer speculation. Right now we have a really, really mediocre recruiting class. We are working on a worse class right now than any of Pelini's classes. Our early season recruiting sizzle has fizzled. I am sick and tired of listening to all of the rumors about how we are "in" on this 4 star guy or that 5 star stud. Show me the damn commits. Show me progress. And don't tell me that these big name athletes wait until the end to commit. Tell that to OSU and Bama and PSU and other big boys who are currently doing very well thank you very much.

One of the biggest reasons we fired Bo was that he just was not recruiting well enough to return us to championship level football. Well guess what? So far neither is Riley. And I am a Riley supporter. Maybe in a few weeks I will have egg all over my face and regret this rant when we haul in a top 20 or top 15 class. I hope it happens. I hope I am made to look like a fool for saying all of this.

But right now our recruiting stinks. I don't care how many studs Riley brought to campus this year. If you can't finish the deal then the net result is the same.

Show me results or shut up

I think you're being a tad dramatic, but I feel your frustration and as of right now, you're unfortunately not wrong. I would say, though, read the article I posted from LandOf10 about why they hired Donte Williams and the difference he will make, combined with our other good recruiters, over the next couple of years.

I don't expect Riley to get us to National Championship level; I think he may retire before he gets us there. What I want to see is a rebuilding of our program to being a consistent, dominant ass-kicking program like it was. To do that, you need a few years of great recruiting cycles. That is exactly how Osborne did it in the 90's. Well, that and steroids.

More importantly, the names I mentioned up top: Calvin, Holmes, and Daniels. These are MUST haves, particularly Daniels to shore up our D line. We're getting really good quarterbacks here, and the skill positions seem to be doing between OK and good; we need to see some dominant, mean linemen come here in droves.

What's all this crap I'm seeing in his crystal ball prediction feed?

Man...I really wanted us to land a 5 star, but it is starting to look grim. DERRION GRIM, you know what I'm saying?
I see he got a couple more today. I do just think those two are following Wilfong's lead and I read an article Wilfong did on USC recruiting (saying they will finish well down the stretch) and his reasoning for Lewis to USC was simply he lives close and USC always gets who they want out of L.A. I don't think he really has any inside info on this one, just going with the safe pick. At one time Lewis's H.S. coach said that Lewis and his family thought it would be best for him to get out of L.A. So I guess we will see. I am worried about Lewis, but I don't think he is gone by any stretch.

Pelini was fired because he was an asshole and felt he answered to no one.

Nothing more, nothing less.

We need to stop with the rhetoric that any of the bullshit reasons like blowouts and recruiting played any part in it.

If Pelini had a demeanor like Riley, Solich or Osborne and wasn't embarrassing the program on a daily basis, he would still be the coach, Osborne would have had a bigger say in who the next AD was going to be and Harvey wouldn't have hired a guy, in Eichorst, that was brought in to fire Pelini and hire a guy who was the exact opposite of Pelini.

Sorry for the rant. But the "one of the reasons Pelini was fired" comment sort of tripped a trigger

All of this is sheer speculation. Right now we have a really, really mediocre recruiting class. We are working on a worse class right now than any of Pelini's classes. Our early season recruiting sizzle has fizzled. I am sick and tired of listening to all of the rumors about how we are "in" on this 4 star guy or that 5 star stud. Show me the damn commits. Show me progress. And don't tell me that these big name athletes wait until the end to commit. Tell that to OSU and Bama and PSU and other big boys who are currently doing very well thank you very much.

One of the biggest reasons we fired Bo was that he just was not recruiting well enough to return us to championship level football. Well guess what? So far neither is Riley. And I am a Riley supporter. Maybe in a few weeks I will have egg all over my face and regret this rant when we haul in a top 20 or top 15 class. I hope it happens. I hope I am made to look like a fool for saying all of this.

But right now our recruiting stinks. I don't care how many studs Riley brought to campus this year. If you can't finish the deal then the net result is the same.

That's the easy thing about being so negative. You throw out crap about how bad things go with the caveat of "I hope I look like a fool when things turn around."

I'd suggest waiting until the actual recruiting season is officially over before you go on future rants like this. It's so easy to be a "fan" that whines and complains and then gets the benefit when things go well. Be a real fan and support the team and coaches. For the record, who exactly needs to "shut up" in your post? I don't see the coaches talking about their recruiting. Let them do their jobs. I doubt you know what goes into recruiting players these days and I doubt you have direct exposure to what is happening behind closed doors.

I don't know what job you have, but I'm sure you would love to have people who are supposedly in your camp who bitch and whine before your product or effort is completed.

We need to stop with the rhetoric that any of the bullshit reasons like blowouts and recruiting played any part in it.

If Pelini had a demeanor like Riley, Solich or Osborne and wasn't embarrassing the program on a daily basis, he would still be the coach, Osborne would have had a bigger say in who the next AD was going to be and Harvey wouldn't have hired a guy, in Eichorst, that was brought in to fire Pelini and hire a guy who was the exact opposite of Pelini.

Sorry for the rant. But the "one of the reasons Pelini was fired" comment sort of tripped a trigger

I thought it was because Nebraska wasn't winning the games that mattered?

I guess you were in Eichhorst's office then and had insider info as to ALL the factors in why Pelini was fired? If Pelini had recruited well and was winning titles my guess is we would have put up with his temper and demeanor quite well thank you. So he was fired just for character reasons? I highly doubt it. I stand by my claim that one of the reasons was his mediocre recruiting
Yep. It's like the crazy/hot scale, you will put up with alot more of his BS if he is winning championships.

My son and I were talking about Lewis last night, here's what my son said.

Jody follows 16 current Huskers, 9 staff members & 2 volleyball players. My son felt it was the most from any one school, by a wide margin, that he was following.

Does that mean anything? Nope, just thought I would share it.

I am not on the taxpayer dole to the tune of MILLIONS.

Neither is Mike Riley, or any other athletic coach at Nebraska.

Signing day is what matters - but I said from day 1 recruiting would make or break Riley. He did not show alot of recruiting chops at OSU - but they had very limited resources. So far he has not shown much difference vs. Pelini - although I think he is doing a better job managing the roster.......it just has not shown up in the lines yet - in part due to players leaving for the NFL. I don't expect a real strong finish on the star side - it will be more about filling needs. Many will be disappointed but I think that is reality.

You are totally correct... I allowed a turn of phrase "on the taxpayer dole" to obfuscate my point. He is not paid by the taxpayers of Nebraska. But he is paid millions out of the money the football program generates. That is my point. He is the head football coach at our largest public University and is paid millions to do his job. That job therefore comes with public scrutiny and will be judged on results. Cold, hard, results. Period. Get it done or move on. Tired of excuses. Show me the commits

Commitments aren't results, that would be signing day.

I think it's reasonable to be concerned about recruiting. Most times when a new coach comes in his first couple recruiting classes are his best, because of the buzz of a new coaching staff. That buzz seems to be wearing off. We've had, what, one commitment since this summer? If we don't close on a lot of guys quickly, this is going to be a Pelini-esque small class that will not fix our depth problems.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I know he did not recruit well at OSU. I do not hold that against him. I support him. I think he is a good coach. I am glad he is our coach. But his recruiting is worrying me. So far it is not great.

I think Husker nation needs to be careful here. I think we have a rather dynamic set of assistants, especially in Bray and the dual Williams'. Brian Stewart is highly regarded as well, and Parella seems to be generating much positive praise among recruiting analysts.

I think if you compare our staff to say Harbaugh at Michigan, you'll find that mano y mano, we are younger, more likable, and overall more dynamic on the trail. I'd like to have Brown and Mattison around instead of Banker on the defensive side of the ball, but overall we match up well going into folks' homes and selling the N. (We might even like to trade Davis for Wheatley, but I don't know a whole heck of a lot about Wheatley).

If guys like the dual Williams' can't get it done here, its hard for me to believe that the Harbaugh Jrs and Jedd Fisch's of the world, if they came to NU after we paid double digit millions to fire everyone, would all of a sudden have us #3 in recruiting.

So that leaves two other big factors. One is the big name coach himself, getting the number three recruiting class because it doesn't really matter who his assistants are (which leaves us in a spot, there are only maybe 2 or 3 guys that can pull this off and they are all taken). Or the fact that NU isn't as sexy as a UM and OSU brand wise. That can be fixed, but probably not overnight. Riley has done pretty well with starting this, and part of it is the Calibraska thing.

Yep. It's like the crazy/hot scale, you will put up with alot more of his BS if he is winning championships.

Yes people will put up with your shit if you are winning, but the opposite is also true. People will put up with winning 9 or 10 games a year if you are not an asshole. Without the 7-7 season Solich's seat doesn't get hot and Peterson is not he'll bent to "stop the gravitation to mediocrity".

Pelini alienated himself and the program from the fans that pissed boosters and fans off. Harbaugh doesn't alienate his fanbase and his boosters.

I just read a Herald article that says our next expected shot at a commit will be Andrew Ward who is announcing on Christmas. Otherwise, we'll be waiting for an anytime surprise or January scheduled announcements.

Signing day is the final determination of the final results. But commitments are important as an indicator of momentum and in what direction we are headed. I am sure you know that so I don't want to be condescending. Commitments are preliminary results and we probably do end up signing around 90% of the guys who commit to us during the year. So I DO count them as important in deterring our results. You would know far better than I do what the percentages are of commits to signees. But I bet it is around 90%

Ya, okay, you're so far on a cliff it's not even worth it.

I just read a Herald article that says our next expected shot at a commit will be Andrew Ward who is announcing on Christmas. Otherwise, we'll be waiting for an anytime surprise or January scheduled announcements.

Yah I think most of the guys we are on have visits remaining or won't be announcing until the Army game.

Yes people will put up with your shit if you are winning, but the opposite is also true. People will put up with winning 9 or 10 games a year if you are not an asshole. Without the 7-7 season Solich's seat doesn't get hot and Peterson is not he'll bent to "stop the gravitation to mediocrity".

Pelini alienated himself and the program from the fans that pissed boosters and fans off. Harbaugh doesn't alienate his fanbase and his boosters.
Absolutely

Lol. Well I am on a cliff and looking for some positive news on the recruiting front.
I still think commitments are an important barometer of progress and results.
Your choice not to respond.
Have a nice day

What you're looking at is to bitch, just to bitch. I've read enough of your responses, including the cheap shot bullcrap you deleted yesterday, to know you're a hot/cold water type of poster with little understanding of a big picture recruiting cycle.

I wish Riley would tell every single major recruit, right now, "either you commit to us by the end of the day or we're going to accept commitments from others that want N now".

Then, when they all laugh at him, I'll sit back & watch the meltdown from posters like you.

Reactions: jflores

I can hear you hyperventilating from Texas. Calm down. The hard part is being patient at this point. Some bad things have happened, but you have to expect those things are going to happen. Remember, this is a long term project. Pelini's mess won't be fixed overnight.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Would like to chime in and say that this class falls within expectations of where we are as a program "currently". Gripe and moan all you want, but expecting any more from our coaches is absurd. They have swung for the fences on some outstanding recruits and those recruits are listening...

Broken record comment to follow, "Nebraska is a middle of the pack team that has been set back by Pelini's tenure, horrible luck on the injury front and mediocre QBs." The yellow brick road is/was covered in snow before Riley set forth on his journey. Unless we hired someone like Urban Meyer, nothing was going to change this team overnight. MR and crew are busting ass for us fans and doing a damn good job at roster management...

The recruiting efforts and a win or two more each year will pay dividends. Hopefully, Lee will put us in better shape to win games next year. We can have the best facilities in the nation, but what a lot of these big name recruits are looking at is the television...

I would question Nebraska myself even as a life long fan, seeing us play TM and TA for 8 years. Sure, they both could run, but neither showed that Nebraska could be a dynamic force on the field. Now with Lee or POB in place, if we continue to be bland on offense then yes, let us question this staff. Until then, there's nothing more we can do about what we displayed on the field this year. A solid 10-2 record and a trip to the B10 championship could have changed the results of this class, but Tommy did not lead us to victory when we needed him to the most...

Here is to a top 20 class and a totally new offensive vibe for 2017. We, as fans, do not need to lower our expectations. However, when our staff does not meet the high expectations we set forth for them every year, we certainly should not stab them in the back. GBR!

Last edited:
And just for the sake of full disclosure so people can put my rant above in perspective, AND for the sake of a good laugh ... I have been posting a ton on here the past two days because I am bedridden. I am currently recovering from surgery I had on Friday on my asshole. Has anyone else on here ever had asshole surgery? lol. My goodness golly it isn't fun.
Wait, what? I think this thread is about to take a turn.

And just for the sake of full disclosure so people can put my rant above in perspective, AND for the sake of a good laugh ... I have been posting a ton on here the past two days because I am bedridden. I am currently recovering from surgery I had on Friday on my asshole. Has anyone else on here ever had asshole surgery? lol. My goodness golly it isn't fun.
Sorry again about that. I feel just terrible...

Reactions: Hoosker Du

Staff likes Ward quite a bit, but there have been low rumblings about qualification issues. ISM and Henderson are above Ward IMO but they are both becoming more unlikely.

Got to respect this...because it's the truth...he was an ass is why he is not here. Not all the other BS.

Now we can move on and focus on our coaches now. And hope they are successful.

Staff likes Ward quite a bit, but there have been low rumblings about qualification issues. ISM and Henderson are above Ward IMO but they are both becoming more unlikely.
Oregon is really starting to piss me off.

You are totally correct... I allowed a turn of phrase "on the taxpayer dole" to obfuscate my point. He is not paid by the taxpayers of Nebraska. But he is paid millions out of the money the football program generates. That is my point. He is the head football coach at our largest public University and is paid millions to do his job. That job therefore comes with public scrutiny and will be judged on results. Cold, hard, results. Period. Get it done or move on. Tired of excuses. Show me the commits

I am.sorry to disagree. What one gets paid and by whom entitles no one to criticise bash or otherwise exercise authority over someone else. He answers to the ad and the board of regents. If we all followed this reasoning, everyone would be fair game.

Lime had a procedure performed on him??? I never knew! Hope he(it) feels better!

There is an upside. When you walk by someone and they say, "There goes a perfect A-hole", you'll be able to take that as a compliment.

Truly butthurt, bummer.... speedy recovery

Nope I am not bitching just for the sake of bitching. I am genuinely, deeply concerned about our recruiting. I expressed myself clearly and forcefully. It is a chat board and I had an opinion on our recruiting and expressed it bluntly. And until we get some more commitments I will stand by my comments. If at the end we have a great class, I will most definitely encourage you to laugh at me. You will anyway.

In some ways you are right that I am a hot/cold water poster. I am an outgoing and demonstrative person in general who likes to express his emotions and thoughts freely. It sometimes gets me in trouble. But my attitude is this is a silly football chat board. It isn't a forum on brain surgery. So if I feel like venting or shooting from the hip I do. Chill out. You take this board and your roll in it far too seriously.

And as long as we are on the topic of what kind of poster I am... Yes, I deleted a cheap shot against you yesterday. I deleted it because it was a cheap shot. And I recognized it as such right away. I then apologized to you on this same board a few posts later. That is the kind of poster I am. I shoot from the hip but I can also take my lumps when I am wrong. I am willing to be persuaded and change my mind and I am willing to admit something I said was dumb. Can you say the same?
And even though I deleted a "cheap shot" against you, the insight I was expressing was not without merit. It came at the end of a long exchange between you and Snickerdoodle that was juvenile and immature. Complete with you posting a pic of fake poo poo to make your point that his posts are like skid marks. And you get into those kinds of snits with other posters quite a bit. You make it personal.

So yes, I have followed your posts too and I know what "kind of poster" you are. You are a guy with some really good insights into football in general and our program in particular. But you are also a thin skinned poster who gets pissed when people don't agree with him. You can be a juvenile and immature poster.

So I will put my "hot and cold water" posting style, and my ability to admit mistakes and to apologize when I am wrong posting style, up against your adolescent posting style any day of the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerk19
Just out of curiosity, I checked the recruiting from last year. Here are the recruits picked up after today's date last year...

Lamar Jackson DB Elk Grove, CA 6'2" 206 5.9 2/2/16
David Engelhaupt TE Norfolk, NE 6'4" 235 5.5 2/2/16
Matt Farniok OL Sioux Falls, SD 6'5" 319 5.7 1/28/16
Collin Miller LB Fishers, IN 6'3" 230 5.7 1/24/16
Pernell Jefferson LB New Orleans, LA 6'2" 236 5.6 1/24/16
Tony Butler DB Lakewood, OH 6'2" 197 5.6 1/20/16

It seems to me that there are some pretty good names here that were picked up after today's date last year... The Engelhaupt pickup came after Dez Fitzpatrick bolted for Louisville, If I remember correctly.

With this in mind, I would say let's wait until the class is signed, and celebrate or commiserate at that time...

EDIT: After I posted this, I read the article about Scout team awards, and thought I would add this from the article...

"It far from guarantees on-field success for the following year, but it warrants attention each year when the Huskers announce their scout-team MVPs at the annual football team banquet.

It's an interesting thing to see who has impressed coaches and peers away from public view.

This fall, it was redshirting linebacker Pernell Jefferson and defensive end Collin Miller who earned the honor on defense. On offense, perhaps to no surprise to those who have been listening and reading the words of coaches recently, it was transfer quarterback Tanner Lee and true freshman receiver JD Spielman."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_ab66e168-685d-5f06-a838-547487e0e9c6.html

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT