ADVERTISEMENT

LES Planned Outages

HuskerLove1

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2018
Our power just went out and saw an article on 10/11 that they are doing rotating planned outages of 30-60 minutes (or more).

yep, frozen wind turbines, but I heard Biden will give Texas the money to buy more electricity on the open market.. so it very well may strain other states.

just fyi, California has this problem already.. not enough electric produced by solar, wind, and whatever else they are using, and the price of their electricity is 6 times higher than the national average. Just wait until this green new deal hits your wallet.

You get Less for More, and you'll be happy about it.

Our power is back on now - it was out about 45 minutes. Apparently we were the first group the shutdown.

I just learned that one of my coworkers in Oregon has been without power since Friday!!

Reactions: WHCSC
What does Lincoln having rolling black out have to do with the storm in Texas? I thought les gets there electricity from halam? Im pretty sure western Nebraska selling electricity to California

Reactions: OzzyLvr
What does Lincoln having rolling black out have to do with the storm in Texas? I thought les gets there electricity from halam? Im pretty sure western Nebraska selling electricity to California
Southwest power pool which nppd is part of

Reactions: baseball31ne
yep, frozen wind turbines, but I heard Biden will give Texas the money to buy more electricity on the open market.. so it very well may strain other states.

just fyi, California has this problem already.. not enough electric produced by solar, wind, and whatever else they are using, and the price of their electricity is 6 times higher than the national average. Just wait until this green new deal hits your wallet.

You get Less for More, and you'll be happy about it.

The future is here.
I don't know. The extreme cold and extreme heat put such strain on capacity. What's the case to be made to have more capacity than you need 99% of the time? We're so used to having as much as we want, as long was we'll pay for it.

Reactions: ATX Husker
My wife had the windows open, right above the vents for days at a time. Energy bill gonna be higher this month I reckon. I shut the windows

I don't know. The extreme cold and extreme heat put such strain on capacity. What's the case to be made to have more capacity than you need 99% of the time? We're so used to having as much as we want, as long was we'll pay for it.
Reliability and growth. We also wholesale energy back and forth between other states so that it's easier to account for maintenance outages.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Reliability and growth. We also wholesale energy back and forth between other states so that it's easier to account for maintenance outages.

The markets are crazy right now...I’ll leave it at that.

Texas has their own grid and will not connect to the nationwide grids. LES and Norris are predominantly powered by the SWPP, but are also connected to surrounding areas, so there are times that GGS is kicking in and even sometimes when we are buying wholesale from Iowa.

we’re getting warnings, too.
i told my wife that we need to shut down the laundry and dishwasher for a couple days, and id bet nero gave the people of rome a similar glance.

IDK bout this...the number of people who will turn up furnace when they hear this, or the people who will run it even longer when the power comes back seem like it would offset the savings. I think they should run emergency adds everywhere asking people to turn down the stat two or three degrees and if enough people don't comply then we risk a mandatory shut down....if that happened once people would comply afterwards at a very high rate.

yep, grid in Texas is taxed because they can't get natural gas transported, there is ice on the wind machines and solar can't produce enough.
Welcome to "renewable energy". What a joke. We're building more and more buildings and homes and buying more and more appliances and we're not building power plants to heat and cool those structures when the wind isn't blowing and it's 25 below zero. Damn we're screwed unless somebody wakes up. Maybe freezing their asses will wake up some nutjobs.

Welcome to "renewable energy". What a joke. We're building more and more buildings and homes and buying more and more appliances and we're not building power plants to heat and cool those structures when the wind isn't blowing and it's 25 below zero. Damn we're screwed unless somebody wakes up. Maybe freezing their asses will wake up some nutjobs.
By 2050, we absolutely should have 4 nuclear plants along the Missouri River in Nebraska alone, and dozens more up and downstream. Leave GGS alone because it's already ridiculously clean, but if the environmentalists want clean energy without having a bunch of people die, they need to give in and stop blocking nuclear power. Hallam should still be nuclear, and if it were we wouldn't be needing these rolling blackouts.

Yeah, because rolling blackouts never existed before renewable energy sources.

Weird how the south seems unprepared for a historic cold snap and the resulting electric demand with their unprotected plumbing and electric heating appliances.

By 2050, we absolutely should have 4 nuclear plants along the Missouri River in Nebraska alone, and dozens more up and downstream. Leave GGS alone because it's already ridiculously clean, but if the environmentalists want clean energy without having a bunch of people die, they need to give in and stop blocking nuclear power. Hallam should still be nuclear, and if it were we wouldn't be needing these rolling blackouts.
If it’s good for the us navy is should be good for everyone, the new coal fired power plants or even existing ones do hardly pollute with the filters on the chimneys natural gas is another clean burning fuel. Im not against renewable energy sources but they can’t be the leader you need a constant source

IF my power gets cut off, who's the mother f******* that will be lucky enough to come thaw out my waterer's and ungell my tractor's...... just saying. I want to know who to send the bill to

IF my power gets cut off, who's the mother f******* that will be lucky enough to come thaw out my waterer's and ungell my tractor's...... just saying. I want to know who to send the bill to

Yourself for not having a generator to keep things going if needed.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
If it’s good for the us navy is should be good for everyone, the new coal fired power plants or even existing ones do hardly pollute with the filters on the chimneys natural gas is another clean burning fuel. Im not against renewable energy sources but they can’t be the leader you need a constant source
The only concern I have with natural gas is that it's become basically a by-product of fracking for oil. Yeah, there's something like 80 trillion cubic feet of it that we can retrieve, but thats largely predicated on getting oil out of the ground. As we move away from oil consumption, gas production is going to go down. It's kind of a catch-22, unlike coal and nuclear.

Yeah, because rolling blackouts never existed before renewable energy sources.

Weird how the south seems unprepared for a historic cold snap and the resulting electric demand with their unprotected plumbing and electric heating appliances.
Unprotected plumbing because that's how you build in places like that. You don't build and insulate for 25-50 year freak occurances. Talk about a waste of BILLIONS.
And how do you heat without electricity? Short of a wood burning stove? Last I checked my gas furnace needed electricity for the blower to run.
None of these problems with Nuclear. Believe with modern thorium salt nuclear plants you don't even have the nasty waste to worry about. But idiots scared everyone off of nuclear because nuclear=bombs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT