ADVERTISEMENT

LB and WR coaches hired

Lincoln Riley was 23 when Leach hired him as WR Coach at Texas Tech, Lane Kiffin was 25 when he was hired as TE Coach by Pete Carroll, and Charlie Weiss Jr was 25 when Kiffin hired him as QB Coach/OC at FAU. So this move isn't completely unprecedented.

Last edited:
I guess it really only matters if the kids in his room respect him.

I'm not wringing my hands over the WR coach, that makes me a sheep?
No that’s not what makes you a sheep. Are you someone that just puts blind faith in anything even if it doesn’t look or smell right?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
No, that's why I did some reading on him.
I’m cool with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It’s why I fought for this country. I don’t believe the kid would have received this job if it wasn’t for his dad. I don’t respect that and lost a lot or respect for Rhule here on this hire. Now the kid might surprise me. But if he doesn’t produce, I don’t think daddy will protect him there.

It’s not a story or a scoop, just a quote. Here’s another from a random on3 guy.

I wish I could have used your logic in college.

Comp Professor: why didn’t you site your source

Me: well it’s not a source. Just some quote from a random guy.

Then id sit back and watch my professors head explode.

Doesn’t have to be a strong person to be a source. Just like these 2… one person being a former teammate and friend whose also under 24, and the second one was someone that just finished working for Garret’s dad @ Tech. Absolutely independent references there. Do you happen to have a tweet from his mom and Sunday school teacher?

Last edited:
I wish I could have used your logic in college.

Comp Professor: why didn’t you site your source

Me: well it’s not a source. Just some quote from a random guy.

Then id sit back and watch my professors head explode.

Doesn’t have to be a strong person to be a source. Just like these 2

You are comparing a research paper to a college football message board. Now there is some sound logic.

Nepotism

Since some people have problems with definitions. I’ve done a let me google that for you

But based on this, I'm guessing your college professors weren't too picky.

I am not saying this is a fact or evidence of anything, it is a guy's opinion, which you are for some reason going way overboard about. Why do these people saying positive things about him have your panties in a bunch?

Last edited:
The McGuire kid has been described as a wunderkind. Some kids get it all straight early and others dick around for awhile. Apparently he is in the former group. A little young? Sure. Rhule's first call? Absolutely not. But someone who get's what Rhule is going to try to do with the offense? Certainly.
The approach that Rhule is taking with the assembly and management of his staff is very different than Frost's.

(March 1, 1962)
LINCOLN, Nebraska — New Nebraska football coach Bob Devaney rounded out his coaching staff this week by naming 25-year-old Tom Osborne, a former Hastings High and Hastings College athlete, as the team's wide receiver coach.

Osborne, who has never coached before, started 12 games in the 1961 NFL season for the Washington Redskins, but gave up playing to pursue a doctorate in educational psychology.

Reached at the Legion Club late Saturday night, Devaney said he Osborne wasn't his first choice, but he's not worried about the coaching rookie.

"He's the smartest guy in the room wherever he goes, so we expect him to do a great job," Devaney said.

Other patrons at the Legion Club weren't so certain.

"First, this Devaney character drags all his cronies here from Wyoming — including a high school coach," said "Big" Dick Smith, who writes what he calls a "blog," a mimeographed one-page newsletter about Nebraska football that he distributes in his Havelock neighborhood. "Now he brings in this guy who's never coached before. How are 20- and 21-year old veterans who played for the genius Bill Jennings supposed to take orders from Osborne? I mean, he's a nice guy and all, but there's no way he can command a meeting room full of kids barely younger than him."

Sitting at the bar, Wonder Bread delivery driver Peter Pietenpol said he is already tired of the Devaney hire.

"I give him five years, but I suspect we'll be looking for the next Dana Bible again in 1966," Pietenpol said. "I just want Nebraska to be good again. I know we'll never win a national championship, but with hires like this, we may never make it back to a bowl game."

Calls to the Osborne home went unanswered.

for some respect is earned. Others are sheep that just fall in line because they blindly trust authority no matter what. The funny part is the sheep are always the ones that hurt the most when it doesn’t work out.

So bah bah bah 🐑 🐑 🐑… Get in line
It wasn't at the D1/P5 level but I played 2 years and then was a Student Assistant for 2 years. During those 2 years as a Student Assistant, I was asked to coach guys that played my position that were older than me. Yes, I was under the watchful eye of another coach but I'm the one that did the coaching and instructing. The coach that was "watching over" me was busy doing other coaching duties. I had to report every day. We watched film together & discussed what the position was doing right & what they were doing wrong. I sat in the booth on game day watching technique and would relay down to the sidelines IF I noticed something - we go back to bad habits under pressure. The point here is that even though the players I was coaching/watching/teaching were almost all older than me, they all listened and we discussed what and why. All of us were serious about being successful and they appreciated my relationship and coaching. Age had no bearing. I knew the technique, just didn't have the physical tools to compete.

So Nebraska can take credit for Kool-Aid, the Reuben sandwich, and possibly the first blog. "Big Dick Smith" from the Havelock neighborhood, classic!
My dad played AAA softball in the '60s and '70s at Ballard Park, and my sister and I used to go swimming at the Ballard pool. Family nights at Stan's or Bob's Tavern were also a regular thing.

Havelock? Have fun!

Imagine being Mickey Joseph right now. He went from being able to have any assistant job he wanted in the whole country. He gets passed over for the full time gig here. He finds out his wife's been cheating on him, he allegedly assaults her, he gets thrown in jail, he's out of work and has a court case pending and his fall back job is given to a 24 year old kid. What a couple of months for him.
The bitter pill of irony sad to say.

(March 1, 1962)
LINCOLN, Nebraska — New Nebraska football coach Bob Devaney rounded out his coaching staff this week by naming 25-year-old Tom Osborne, a former Hastings High and Hastings College athlete, as the team's wide receiver coach.

Osborne, who has never coached before, started 12 games in the 1961 NFL season for the Washington Redskins, but gave up playing to pursue a doctorate in educational psychology.

Reached at the Legion Club late Saturday night, Devaney said he Osborne wasn't his first choice, but he's not worried about the coaching rookie.

"He's the smartest guy in the room wherever he goes, so we expect him to do a great job," Devaney said.

Other patrons at the Legion Club weren't so certain.

"First, this Devaney character drags all his cronies here from Wyoming — including a high school coach," said "Big" Dick Smith, who writes what he calls a "blog," a mimeographed one-page newsletter about Nebraska football that he distributes in his Havelock neighborhood. "Now he brings in this guy who's never coached before. How are 20- and 21-year old veterans who played for the genius Bill Jennings supposed to take orders from Osborne? I mean, he's a nice guy and all, but there's no way he can command a meeting room full of kids barely younger than him."

Sitting at the bar, Wonder Bread delivery driver Peter Pietenpol said he is already tired of the Devaney hire.

"I give him five years, but I suspect we'll be looking for the next Dana Bible again in 1966," Pietenpol said. "I just want Nebraska to be good again. I know we'll never win a national championship, but with hires like this, we may never make it back to a bowl game."

Calls to the Osborne home went unanswered.
That Wonder Bread delivery man was cool.

Reactions: cornwoman
In my line of work, there are kids who you can tell are going to be stars in the business. I've seen it over and over.
Absolutely. I think that is true for many professions. I was visiting with a National department head for John Deere at a Harvard football game. He said “hire smart young people regardless of their major”. My kid was a Russian History/Language major and got offers from multiple law firms, PR firms etc. 😮

It goes a long way towards determining how easily you can get rid of them if they're not working out. That's my main concern.
I could be wrong but the longest position coach contract is no more than 2 years. ALL of these guys except the DC have worked with Rhule. Not worried about having to fire any of them.

I could be wrong but the longest position coach contract is no more than 2 years. ALL of these guys except the DC have worked with Rhule. Not worried about having to fire any of them.
It’s not like we are risking anything at this point. What’s the worst that could happen? The team sucks? Oh no, whatever will we do?!!!

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
We had them back in the day. Roberts Dairy deliveries, too.
I played midget football for the South Omaha Eagles. There were 4 teams in our division, us, Brandies, Roberts Dairy and another team I can't remember, but they were the badasses of the division. Might have been Boystown.

Reactions: 9and4
I am not saying this is a fact or evidence of anything, it is a guy's opinion, which you are for some reason going way overboard about. Why do these people saying positive things about him have your panties in a bunch?
If it’s just some guys opinion then why did you post it? For jerk off material? … “la la let me google this kids name and find someone, anyone who likes this hire”. WTF

And why does it get my panties in a bunch? Because you’re misleading readers and on purpose. The tweets came from a guy who worked for his dad and the kids ex-teammate. And if you can’t comprehend that, then I can’t help you. Either that or you’re just not a very good person. Because I can’t stand people who lie or try to be deceptive. And don’t play like you didn’t because you claimed the random dude as someone from ON3, not the more relative and informative description as an ex- Tech employee that worked under his dad. And you also did it with the Baylor receiver. You didn’t post it as “Garrets ex-teammate and friend” you posted as a Baylor WR. I know exactly the type of person you are. Full of BS.

And I don’t respect people who have been given everything due to their family name and not because of their work or ability.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
I played midget football for the South Omaha Eagles. There were 4 teams in our division, us, Brandies, Roberts Dairy and another team I can't remember, but they were the badasses of the division. Might have been Boystown.
We had eight teams in Lincoln. I was on the Executive Club, but we also had Roberts, Police Department, Fire Department and the rest I don't remember.

Class C was at Sherman Field
Class B at Lincoln High
Class A at Pius

Nepotism

Since some people have problems with definitions. I’ve done a let me google that for you

I guess your college professors weren't too picky.
If it’s just some guys opinion then why did you post it? For jerk off material? … “la la let me google this kids name and find someone, anyone who likes this hire”. WTF

And why does it get my panties in a bunch? Because you’re misleading readers and on purpose. The tweets came from a guy who worked for his dad and the kids ex-teammate. And if you can’t comprehend that, then I can’t help you. Either that or you’re just not a very good person. Because I can’t stand people who lie or try to be deceptive. And don’t play like you didn’t because you claimed the random dude as someone from ON3, not the more relative and informative description as an ex- Tech employee that worked under his dad. And you also did it with the Baylor receiver. You didn’t post it as “Garrets ex-teammate and friend” you posted as a Baylor WR. I know exactly the type of person you are. Full of BS.

And I don’t respect people who have been given everything due to their family name and not because of their work or ability.

So you can fly off the handle and without knowing anything at all about the guy and decide it’s a bad hire and you are right, because you just are? But the opinion of players and analyst are irrelevant because they aren’t angry like you? What a bunch of crap. I’m not misleading anyone, what a stupid thing to say. I’m sharing opinions I saw, just like you are sharing your uninformed opinion as fact.

And I don’t know that the on3 guy used to work at Tech. I’m not sure where you see that, but that doesn’t make his opinion less insightful and it certainly is still more informed than yours.

Getting first downs and moving the ball could. Hate to tell you but WRs have a lot to do with that.
The WR coach better be an extension of your OC. Again. He was an assistant for Rhule at Baylor and you and I are not qualified to judge him.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I guess your college professors weren't too picky.

So you can fly off the handle and without knowing anything at all about the guy and decide it’s a bad hire and you are right, because you just are? But the opinion of players and analyst are irrelevant because they aren’t angry like you? What a bunch of crap. I’m not misleading anyone, what a stupid thing to say. I’m sharing opinions I saw, just like you are sharing your uninformed opinion as fact.

And I don’t know that the on3 guy used to work at Tech. I’m not sure where you see that, but that doesn’t make his opinion less insightful and it certainly is still more informed than yours.
Is Yahtzee Jason Peters screen name?

He’s a WR coach. Rhule’s track record with hiring young coaches has been very good. This isn’t a job that requires a vast amount of experience. Rhule knows how he relates to other young men. He’ll be fine.
So that is on par with expecting Rhule to end up like TO? Put down the mango margarita

I actually think its great we are finally getting some good, hard-nosed, full of energy young guys on staff
I agree. The WR Coach probably knows the system inside and out. If he knows his sh*t, good players will respect him. Players care about how they are being treated and if their coach is genuine and a hard worker.

Honestly, any player who doesn’t respect a coach solely because of his age is the kind of guy we want to be playing against and not with us.

ADVERTISEMENT