ADVERTISEMENT

LB and WR coaches hired

Certainly a little eyebrow raising but... well... I guess as long as a 24 yr old isn't in charge of a game's time management. 😂 Let's do this!

"I have had some people say to me ‘Why is the staff so young?’ One, because I am old, and they make me feel younger," Rhule said. "They make me look younger to the guys. More relevant in terms of what’s new and what’s not. But also, they have seen firsthand how the way that we do things effects lives. It effected their life, hopefully. And now they are going to pour into other people’s lives. There is not going to be any celebrity coaches. There are not going to be guys with different agendas. There isn’t going to be this coach saying this and this coach is saying this. We are all going to have one purpose. There is a vision. There is going to be a brand of football that we play, and they all believe it."

The Husker head coach also expressed thanks to the man who hired him when it came to putting together his staff.

Said Rhule, "I am really grateful that Trev (Alberts) has allowed me to hire who I want to hire."

WR coach is clearly a plan C kinda guy. Wonder who else fell through?

Mickey, obviously.

Then probably guys like Dailey, who looks like he may get a college OC job.

Jackson and Nixon were both probably offered, but want to stay in the NFL.

I also think Peetz falling through had an impact, because we could have went Peetz QB, Sat TE and Wager WR.

Mickey, obviously.

Then probably guys like Dailey, who looks like he may get a college OC job.

Jackson and Nixon were both probably offered, but want to stay in the NFL.

I also think Peetz falling through had an impact, because we could have went Peetz QB, Sat TE and Wager WR.
McGuire actually was an assistant at Baylor for Rhule his last year there. It isn’t unheard of for a coach to be impressed enough by a young GA to elevate him to a position coach.

Young people are capable of doing great things. Zuckerberg became a billionaire at 23. Hamilton was 21 when he signed the Declaration of Independence. Lincoln Riley was Texas Tech's WR coach at 24. Rhule has a knack for finding young up and coming coaches. Give this kid a chance. He's got the pedigree, it's not like he was a golf pro.
Mozart wrote his first opera at age 11 (Die Schuldigkeit des ersten Gebots). Doesn't mean I'd be happy if Rhule hired a coach out of grade school.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm all for letting these coaches prove themselves on the field rather than fans judging them on the social media platforms before they even coach one practice. Here's what I want most from Nebraska football going forward, I want opposing fans to hate Nebraska again (winning a lot) instead of laughing because of the clown show it was.

Programs can turn their fortunes around, but it takes the right coaches to do so and up until our latest HC hire we haven't had a coach able to do so, something we all know as fact.

I was all for hiring other coaches other than Rhule but I'm glad I'm not the AD because my favorites would probably not have worked out. Thank you Alberts for clear thinking and doing a thorough search even though we as fans wanted immediate results and candidates who where not very viable in the long run.

Bottom line for me, I'll trust Rhule knows what he doing and what he's looking for. As far as the folks who say he's a bad choice for HC because he didn't work out in the pros all I can say is that there is a long list of excellent college coaches who failed at the pro level but were successful at the college level, they are easy to look up.

Im all for a young coach but the thing that concerns me is how well will a 18 year old kid want to listen to a 23 year old? Or even a 23 year old want to listen to a 23 year old. But oh well, get it done kid. GBR

Nebraska football has completed its on-field coaching staff by filling the final two full-time assistant coaching positions: Rob Dvoracek is joining the program as the Huskers' linebackers coach, and Garret McGuire is being added as the receivers coach, per a report from The Athletic's Joe Person.
They will both join the staff following the Panthers' final game against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday.
Inside Nebraska first reported on Dec. 5 that Dvoracek was set to become Nebraska's linebackers coach, pending ongoing contract negotiations with the Carolina Panthers, where he was a defensive assistant under Matt Rhule and then under Panthers interim coach Steve Wilks. The two sides have evidently worked out those negotiations.
Dvoracek and McGuire will now be the sixth and seventh coaches to have worked for Rhule on the Panthers staff who will also join him in Lincoln.
OC Marcus Satterfield, DL coach Terrance Knighton, secondary coach Evan Cooper, special teams coordinator Ed Foley and head strength & conditioning coach Corey Campbell all spent at least one season with Rhule in Carolina.
Dvoracek will lead the second level of DC Tony White's defense as he becomes the latest coaching staff addition who has strong ties to Rhule.
The 28-year-old Dvoracek was a linebacker at Temple from 2012-14. After suffering complications from knee surgery following the 2013 season, Dvoracek became a student assistant for Rhule in 2014. Dvoracek has spent seven of the last nine seasons as a Rhule assistant:
– 3 seasons as a student assistant at Temple (2014-16)
– 2 seasons as a defensive quality control coach at Baylor (2017-18)
– 2 seasons as a defensive assistant with the Panthers (2021-present) following a two-year stint at Lehigh (2019-20) as a defensive ends/outside linebackers coach.
Dvoracek fits the profile of another aspect that Rhule has used to fill out his staff: He is a young, mostly unproven coach but is also well-regarded in coaching circles as a hungry, motivated coach with a bright future.
McGuire, who is a very young assistant set to turn 24 years old next month, will come to Nebraska after spending two seasons with the Panthers. He worked as a coaching assistant in 2021 and was an offensive assistant in 2022.
McGuire, who is the son of Texas Tech head coach and former Rhule assistant Joey McGuire, played three seasons at Baylor (2017-20) as a backup quarterback and as a key member of special teams units. McGuire played in eight games over his career and was a three-time All-Big 12 Academic First Teamer.
As Inside Nebraska reported in the same Dec. 5 report about Dvoracek, one of the main qualifications that Rhule was looking for in his receivers coach were ties to the Midwest and Texas for recruiting purposes. The Huskers now have that in McGuire, and they have now locked in their full on-field coaching staff.
Guess it is SOP for coaches to bring along guys they worked with in the past but it certainly did not work out well with Callahan, Riley and Frost. All these ex Carolina Panther guys did not exactly set the NFL on fire during their tenure. Not very impressed thus far but what do I know, LOL! Give them a chance and lets see what develops. Agree that they have to get more talent from Texas and the South so perhaps these Asst's have the contacts to do it. In say four years we can all say that we where totally right or totally wrong.

I just wonder why we need a $7M assistant coach pool? I don’t think we are paying anywhere near that.

Im all for a young coach but the thing that concerns me is how well will a 18 year old kid want to listen to a 23 year old? Or even a 23 year old want to listen to a 23 year old. But oh well, get it done kid. GBR
If I'm an 18-year-old kid, and I aspire to get on the field and play, I'm gonna find a way to listen to my position coach. Kids that don't take direction, or do a specific task according to the person who determines their playing time, are not going to fare well.

Of course, if that 18-year-old has that spectacular talent level, consideration will always be given, because it still boils down to winning. In this day and age with the transfer portal, kids are still gonna find a way to play for someone who doesn't have the old-school, "my way or the highway" mentality.

How much shit did the former staff let Mo get away with, where a much lesser talent would have been buried 6 deep on the depth chart. Chick-fil-a daily for a kid who could have used 15-20 pounds, come to practice smelling like a doobie, etc., he didn't give a crap what they said, he was gonna do what he wanted to do. They failed the kid almost as much as the kid failed himself.

Maybe a 23-24-year-old position coach could have related to Mo and explained the reason why he wasn't gonna play until he changed his actions. I can't imagine Rhule putting up with that shit from a player, and he certainly wouldn't stand for one of his position coaches letting a kid like Mo pass over kids who were doing the team thing. JMO

Kenny Bell and Shanle had to weigh in again. Shanle among others crack me up. Lincoln has been a dumpster fire since essentially 2013 but everyone wants to talk smack. I don't know if these hires will work, but I'm glad we have an outsider that has a process and are doing something different. I just hope we finally get some results. I don't care what we do, just want results. I will find it comical if these coaches are actually pretty solid and some of these former players are forced to eat a shit sandwich.

Some kids take to coaching well regardless of age and some don't, it's really all about kids attitude.
I taught my son at a young age to listen to coaches who are good enough to make a living teaching their sport. Not high school coaches, many of whom are great, but the majority are not. But Div1 and professional-level coaches.

When he was 13 he played for both Auggie Garrido (U of Tx) and Mike Martin (FSU) and loved both of them as coaches although Auggie was fiery and Martin was low-key. Auggie would say, "this is how you do it, damn it!"

Martin would say, "let me show you the difference between this way of doing it and that way of doing it. Which way makes the most sense to you?" They were 2 of the all-time great college coaches.

He played for a 23-year-old young coach who my son thought was amazing at teaching certain parts of the game. He told me this young coach was like listening to a 23-year-old Garrido or Martin. Some young guys just "get it." Especially the serious ones.

Is there any question that one, or both, of these young hires, aspire to be head coaches at big schools as they gain experience? They will suck in the knowledge of those more experienced coaches and then develop their own style of teaching.

I'm fine with bringing in a young and hungry staff, but there's no reason we need to pay them anywhere near the allotted $7 million.

Reactions: dand84
Kenny Bell and Shanle had to weigh in again. Shanle among others crack me up. Lincoln has been a dumpster fire since essentially 2013 but everyone wants to talk smack. I don't know if these hires will work, but I'm glad we have an outsider that has a process and are doing something different. I just hope we finally get some results. I don't care what we do, just want results. I will find it comical if these coaches are actually pretty solid and some of these former players are forced to eat a shit sandwich.
They love to pretend that all the bullshit they talked about that backfired just didn't happen. All of a sudden, back to talking shit. Don't know why anyone listens to them. I don't listen to Shanle, knew him since high school, and he's not someone I'd listen to for savvy insights.

I taught my son at a young age to listen to coaches who are good enough to make a living teaching their sport. Not high school coaches, many of whom are great, but the majority are not. But Div1 and professional-level coaches.

When he was 13 he played for both Auggie Garrido (U of Tx) and Mike Martin (FSU) and loved both of them as coaches although Auggie was fiery and Martin was low-key. Auggie would say, "this is how you do it, damn it!"

Martin would say, "let me show you the difference between this way of doing it and that way of doing it. Which way makes the most sense to you?" They were 2 of the all-time great college coaches.

He played for a 23-year-old young coach who my son thought was amazing at teaching certain parts of the game. He told me this young coach was like listening to a 23-year-old Garrido or Martin. Some young guys just "get it." Especially the serious ones.

Is there any question that one, or both, of these young hires, aspire to be head coaches at big schools as they gain experience? They will suck in the knowledge of those more experienced coaches and then develop their own style of teaching.
Wisdom spoken

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
In my line of work, there are kids who you can tell are going to be stars in the business. I've seen it over and over.
Agreed. I'm in construction and you know the rockstars and those who suck. Have been lucky to work for companies who really focus on these guys and they run work better than seasoned vets a lot of times. I know it's different, but I never really rely on age.

Fun facts:
  • Garret McGuire was born Feb. 3, 1999.
  • Kirk Ferentz was hired to be Iowa's head coach on Dec. 2, 1998.

Imagine being Mickey Joseph right now. He went from being able to have any assistant job he wanted in the whole country. He gets passed over for the full time gig here. He finds out his wife's been cheating on him, he allegedly assaults her, he gets thrown in jail, he's out of work and has a court case pending and his fall back job is given to a 24 year old kid. What a couple of months for him.

Reactions: konaki
The one thing about the 'young' and 'unproven' coaches is they're going to be determined to make a name for themselves with this opportunity. It's an absolute golden career opportunity and one that could seriously springboard their coaching career. They know what Coach Rhule wants. They've been around him. If they're hungry to be great, this could absolutely work. Or it could fail spectacularly. Regardless, I trust in Rhule until he shows otherwise.

But Rhule didn't hire a grade school kid to coach. He hired a guy who has been around football and high quality football coaches his entire life.

https://www.focusdailynews.com/garret-mcguires-coaching-journey-starts-with-the-carolina-panthers/
for some respect is earned. Others are sheep that just fall in line because they blindly trust authority no matter what. The funny part is the sheep are always the ones that hurt the most when it doesn’t work out.

So bah bah bah 🐑 🐑 🐑… Get in line

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
for some respected is earned. Others are sheep that just fall in line because they blindly trust authority no matter what. The funny part is the sheep are always the ones that hurt the most when it doesn’t work out.

So bah bah bah 🐑 🐑 🐑… Get in line
I guess it really only matters if the kids in his room respect him.

I'm not wringing my hands over the WR coach, that makes me a sheep?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT