ADVERTISEMENT

Just a reminder that Matt Rhule was…

This concerns me. He has 0 allegiance to us and seems to bolt when times are good and when times are tough.

I wish we would have hired Kansas coach. He just seems to fit our mold
He bolts when times are good and when they are tough. Give an example please if him bolting when times were tough. He has left AFTER he fixes a program. Takes heat for a few years, asks for trust and then delivers and moves on to more lucrative options.

He bolts when times are good and when they are tough. Give an example please if him bolting when times were tough. He has left AFTER he fixes a program. Takes heat for a few years, asks for trust and then delivers and moves on to more lucrative options.
They won’t give you an example, because there isn’t one. The poster wanted Lance Leipold and will create a narrative how it should have been him hired. Says Rhule has zero allegiance to us. Would Leipold? Would Urban or even Deion Sanders? Our last coach had lots of allegiance but didn’t do well. So what does it really matter.

100%. Another perfect example would be looking at Texas. They have won more than 8 games once in the last 10 years and that team has consistently been loaded with highly rated talent.

2013 - 8-5​
2014 - 6-7​
2015 - 5-7​
2016 - 5-7​
2017 - 7-6​
2018 - 10-4​
2019 - 8-5​
2020 - 7-3​
2021 - 5-7​
2022 - 8-5​

They were 5-7 their first year under Sarkisian and two years later he has them looking like a legit top 5 team. You can have tons of talent and great recruiting classes
I think some of the focus of recruiting, but not all needs to be here on the West Coast. There is a lot of talent in California, Western Oregon and Western Washington. Add in Arizona and Las Vegas. With the BIG expanding this way I think it will help. Nebraska has done well in these areas in the past. West Coast kids have always been willing to leave their home area to play. I can give you lots of examples.

I think the last two coaches had a lack of focus, were not good recruiters and most importantly very bad at coaching the kids. There was no stability. I know a lot will hate this, but when TO was running the show and had the program lined out kids would come from all over to play for him. Nebraska needs to start winning games. The Huskers need to win 4 or 5 of the next 7 and get in a bowl game. That will do wonders for recruiting.

I think Friday's game is going to be a great indicator on how the rest of the season plays out.

Reactions: dinglefritz
They won’t give you an example, because there isn’t one. The poster wanted Lance Leipold and will create a narrative how it should have been him hired. Says Rhule has zero allegiance to us. Would Leipold? Would Urban or even Deion Sanders? Our last coach had lots of allegiance but didn’t do well. So what does it really matter.
No, Leopold may not have allegiance. Has Rhule had any allegiance to anyone? I guess I meant he bolted from Carolina and packed it in before being let go.

I'm not creating a narrative. I simply stated who I wanted in the coaching search. I'm all for Rhule succeeding but this all seems to mirror the other coaches and their beginnings, doesn't it?

Has Rhule had any longevity anywhere? I honestly don't know.

Carolina - the team gave up on him while he stuck out as long as he could. I guess it could be argued but whatever.

I'm just not going to use dogma to remain patient for 3 years. Feel free to criticize me... once bitten, twice shy

Reactions: king_kong_
Carolina - the team gave up on him while he stuck out as long as he could. I guess it could be argued but whatever.

I'm just not going to use dogma to remain patient for 3 years. Feel free to criticize me... once bitten, twice shy
I get not being patient for 3 years. That’s hard. But the problem is you haven’t even waited 5 games (you were already on Rhule’s jock before the Michigan game).

To each his own, I guess.

I get not being patient for 3 years. That’s hard. But the problem is you haven’t even waited 5 games (you were already on Rhule’s jock before the Michigan game).

To each his own, I guess.
lol, so what? I was on him at the Minnesota game where only a bozo could have choked that away. I'm still giving him grace. I've only seen some defensive improvement. Everything else is either the same or worse.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
lol, so what? I was on him at the Minnesota game where only a bozo could have choked that away. I'm still giving him grace. I've only seen some defensive improvement. Everything else is either the same or worse.
Keep in mind we have one of the most pathetic schedules in the nation…

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15 and c3o
Lol, sorry, you said feel free to criticize. I didn’t know you weren’t serious about that.

No, Leopold may not have allegiance. Has Rhule had any allegiance to anyone? I guess I meant he bolted from Carolina and packed it in before being let go.

I'm not creating a narrative. I simply stated who I wanted in the coaching search. I'm all for Rhule succeeding but this all seems to mirror the other coaches and their beginnings, doesn't it?

He didn't pack it in at Carolina, he was fired.

Rhule, who was fired by the Panthers during the 2022 season with a record of 11-27.

his turnaround at Temple was impressive enough. the thing about Baylor is they had 10 & 11 win seasons 4/5 years before Rhule got there, so its not as if they were a perpetual doormat he suddenly made relevant.

yes, yes i know the talking point about the scandal. thing is, the CFB landscape in 2023 is much different than 2019.

Lincoln Riley was the top dog in the Big 12, and he owned Rhule. Lincoln Riley will be fortunate to be a top 3 B1G coach when USC is officially a member.

Rhule's 11 win Baylor team was taken to task by teams like Rice, West Virginia, TCU, and Texas Tech. those teams had a combined record of 17-31, they were bottom dwellers with brand new/soon to be fired coaches.

Iowa State, the team that most closely resembles a shitty B1G West team, lost the turnover battle and Baylor still needed a last second FG to escape with a win.

What I'm getting at here is, if you're expecting Matt Rhule to ever eclipse what Pelini did, you're in for a lot of disappointment. Best we can hope for is a stabilizing force that gives way to a homerun hire in a matter of years.

Reactions: maly
e

if we are citing his track record for year 1-2 expectations, that is fine, as long as the goal posts aren’t moved in year 3 when 10-11 wins become the expectation
Is that the expectation or is it just what people are saying on what happened at Baylor?

the thing about Baylor is they had 10 & 11 win seasons 4/5 years before Rhule got there, so its not as if they were a perpetual doormat he suddenly made relevant.
1) You're right, people made this mistake with Frost acting like UCF was some crap program when they went 0-fer

2) Didn't Baylor basically lose 60%+ of its team and recruits due to their sex scandle sanctions? While Baylor wasn't a doormat, that's a pretty tough hill to have to climb out of.

Reactions: timnsun
He didn't pack it in at Carolina, he was fired.

Rhule, who was fired by the Panthers during the 2022 season with a record of 11-27.
Understood and I said as much.

All you have to do to understand what a mess the ownership and gm have created in Carolina is to watch them this season. Reich wanted Stroud but he was over ruled by the GM and owner. Bryce will never last.

Reactions: BleedRed78 and c3o
All you have to do to understand what a mess the ownership and gm have created in Carolina is to watch them this season. Reich wanted Stroud but he was over ruled by the GM and owner. Bryce will never last.
Young really has no talent around him. Old Theilen is his best WR, Sanders is hurt, no OL and no TE. Maybe they can draft and try to assist his progress or he will end up injured or processed

It doesn’t mirror Frost at all. He was boastful and yet started out 0-6 and finally got first win in game 7 vs FCS Bethune Cookman. From what I am aware of Rhule coached up until he was fired from Carolina. It seems with what you wrote you are saying he “bolted” as in disappeared then was fired. And if he gets Nebraska to a couple of 10 win seasons and then leaves? Oh well at least get did something no one since Bo Pelini did here and we (and other quality coaches) will see it can be done here again.

Young really has no talent around him. Old Theilen is his best WR, Sanders is hurt, no OL and no TE. Maybe they can draft and try to assist his progress or he will end up injured or processed
Thielen’s chronic ankle problem is why the Vikes let him drift. I love the guy but he’s on the downhill slide. The franchise is owned and run by morons. I don’t blame Rhule for giving it a go for the money they were offering but he never had a QB worth a sh## and it wasn’t his fault. Hopefully we’re not saying that 3 years from now.

Reactions: BleedRed78
1) You're right, people made this mistake with Frost acting like UCF was some crap program when they went 0-fer

2) Didn't Baylor basically lose 60%+ of its team and recruits due to their sex scandle sanctions? While Baylor wasn't a doormat, that's a pretty tough hill to have to climb out of.
Very tough hole, indeed.

There are cultural advantages other schools have that Nebraska simply won't ever have. No recruit remembers the 90s, and even if they did, they're not enamored with Wisconsin on steroids.

Texas is a cool place to live. Oregon is a cool place to live. Washington is a cool place to live.
The reasons kids are attracted to those schools is because they have cool uniform rotations, sit on prime locations, and have recent histories of successful Heisman winners/conference championships.

That doesn't mean Nebraska can't ever be good again, it just means I highly doubt that Rhule is capable of being anywhere above average in a conference that's going to include 5 teams liable to finish in the top 10.

He needs another Mickey Joseph, someone who can make Nebraska seem like a sexy location to talented skill players.

Reactions: Landomatic and c3o
It doesn’t mirror Frost at all. He was boastful and yet started out 0-6 and finally got first win in game 7 vs FCS Bethune Cookman. From what I am aware of Rhule coached up until he was fired from Carolina. It seems with what you wrote you are saying he “bolted” as in disappeared then was fired. And if he gets Nebraska to a couple of 10 win seasons and then leaves? Oh well at least get did something no one since Bo Pelini did here and we (and other quality coaches) will see it can be done here again.
The Minnesota game looked exactly like Frost. Colorado too. Thank goodness we could handle NIU and La Tech

Nebraska has never - I repeat, NEVER - had a head coach or coordinator voluntarily leave for a promotion

It has not happened once in our entire history

The people posting about it need to read a book

Reactions: moralvictories
Nebraska has never - I repeat, NEVER - had a head coach or coordinator voluntarily leave for a promotion

It has not happened once in our entire history

The people posting about it need to read a book
I could be wrong but Warren Powers voluntarily left NU to become Washington State’s head coach. Bob passed him over in favor of Tom but Warren could have remained our DC. Frank was offered Minnesota’s job and I think there were other P5 head coaching jobs he could have had.

Reactions: king_kong_
I could be wrong but Warren Powers voluntarily left NU to become Washington State’s head coach. Bob passed him over in favor of Tom but Warren could have remained our DC. Frank was offered Minnesota’s job and I think there were other P5 head coaching jobs he could have had.
Powers did leave NU to become WSU's head coach, but he was never the Huskers' defensive coordinator. He was the defensive backs coach.

To the extent that anyone was considered the official DC during that time, it was Monte Kiffin. He was the guy calling the shots on game day.

Some assistant coaches (not coordinators) have left NU for head coaching jobs - Tony Samuel went to New Mexico State and Jerry Moore went to North Texas. Might have been a few others.

Last edited:

Argued? He got fired and left. FYI - when you get fired you HAVE to leave. This cannot be argued - he didn’t bolt.

Argued? He got fired and left. FYI - when you get fired you HAVE to leave. This cannot be argued - he didn’t bolt.
Bro, he packed it in, the team quit on him. That’s what I meant. I don’t really care at this point. You win

Bro, he packed it in, the team quit on him. That’s what I meant. I don’t really care at this point. You win
Thank U Reaction GIF by BROCKHAMPTON

Reactions: c3o
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT