ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Burrow will transfer...

Wow, look at all the coaches in this thread so certain that he be isn't coming here and wouldn't be any good anyhow if he did. Who pissed in all your Cheerios?

Kid is good, OSU just thinks the soph has freak upside. Burrow could be a great asset to NU as a legit dual threat with big ten game experience, but you all wanna push all in on a freshman, a walk-on, and TG. I like Gebbia, but we still haven't seen him start a game.

Wow, look at all the coaches in this thread so certain that he be isn't coming here and wouldn't be any good anyhow if he did. Who pissed in all your Cheerios?

Kid is good, OSU just thinks the soph has freak upside. Burrow could be a great asset to NU as a legit dual threat with big ten game experience, but you all wanna push all in on a freshman, a walk-on, and TG. I like Gebbia, but we still haven't seen him start a game.

Ha ha in one half against Akron and one quarter against Michigan Gebbia or Martinez will match the amount of experience Burrow has in game and B1G exerience respectively.

Not sure I would use experience as the reason to bring him in, Coach.

You know, there are some vids out there of interviews he has done, and in those vids he brings up the fairness of the competitions.. I didn't have the time to listen to it all, but just in watching a little bit, I didn't like his body language and he was kind of hounded by media, and it just made me kind of feel sorry for the kid.. he didn't look ready for all those kinds of questions and seems to be in a bit of a bad place... just the vibe I got... I hope he finds a terrific place that suits him perfectly where he can use his talents.

If you want to spend the time:

and more recently
Bad body language !!!! You can't say that on here about a little piss-ant, cry-baby, Buckeye-throw-away with wind-blown long sleeves.

Honest question:

Does anyone know if Frost has shown any interest in Burrow?

Do we really think, even if he wanted to come to Nebraska, and Drost wanted him to come here. That Urban is going to let the kid transfer to a school not only in the same conference but one that OSU plays this year? I bet even if he wanted to come to NU that urban would block him from coming.

Do we really think, even if he wanted to come to Nebraska, and Drost wanted him to come here. That Urban is going to let the kid transfer to a school not only in the same conference but one that OSU plays this year? I bet even if he wanted to come to NU that urban would block him from coming.
Don't think urb can block his transfer I believe he's a grad transfer he can go anywhere and play immediately

According to Sean Callahan, there has been NO contact between Burrow and anyone from Nebraska as of right now

Ha ha in one half against Akron and one quarter against Michigan Gebbia or Martinez will match the amount of experience Burrow has in game and B1G exerience respectively.

Not sure I would use experience as the reason to bring him in, Coach.
More experience than anyone currently on the roster has. We've got two scholarship QBs and this kid was highly rated coming out of HS, and oh by the way in the race on a perennial playoff team. When NU hasn't even been to the CCG in years.

But now we wouldn't dream of giving him the time of day because he didn't want to get jerked around when plenty of people who follow OSU think he's good enough to be their starter. If you're good enough to start for 90% + of other programs and you put in the work to graduate in 3 years, why would you not grad transfer to start elsewhere?

Man if we could take a bunch of actual Tommie Frazier quotes and attribute them to some HS prospect or other team's QB, people on this board would be CERTAIN that we should never offer him and that he's a cancer who will ruin whatever team he goes to and fail at everything he does.

Reactions: Bruce1981
More experience than anyone currently on the roster has. We've got two scholarship QBs and this kid was highly rated coming out of HS, and oh by the way in the race on a perennial playoff team. When NU hasn't even been to the CCG in years.

But now we wouldn't dream of giving him the time of day because he didn't want to get jerked around when plenty of people who follow OSU think he's good enough to be their starter. If you're good enough to start for 90% + of other programs and you put in the work to graduate in 3 years, why would you not grad transfer to start elsewhere?

Man if we could take a bunch of actual Tommie Frazier quotes and attribute them to some HS prospect or other team's QB, people on this board would be CERTAIN that we should never offer him and that he's a cancer who will ruin whatever team he goes to and fail at everything he does.

And he was beat out last year by a kid who was a redshirt freshman with no experience.

And he was beat out last year by a kid who was a redshirt freshman with no experience.
So what you're saying is you like NU's QB room better than OSU's? Or do they not have top recruiting classes every year and he wouldn't be an upgrade over at least two of Nebraska's QBs?

We can argue semantics about experience but it sounds like the reason Burrow wasn't going to have sole possession of the starting job isn't that he doesn't play well, it's more that the other kid has crazy upside athletically. And we still haven't heard that he got beat out, it may have been that Meyer wanted to keep the competition going through fall camp and even play multiple QBs.

Bottom line is that if he came to NU, he's immediately the favorite to win the starting job. I don't understand where people came upon the idea that we can afford to turn up our noses at a kid of his caliber.

So what you're saying is you like NU's QB room better than OSU's? Or do they not have top recruiting classes every year and he wouldn't be an upgrade over at least two of Nebraska's QBs?

We can argue semantics about experience but it sounds like the reason Burrow wasn't going to have sole possession of the starting job isn't that he doesn't play well, it's more that the other kid has crazy upside athletically. And we still haven't heard that he got beat out, it may have been that Meyer wanted to keep the competition going through fall camp and even play multiple QBs.

Bottom line is that if he came to NU, he's immediately the favorite to win the starting job. I don't understand where people came upon the idea that we can afford to turn up our noses at a kid of his caliber.

The only people "turning up their nose at a kid of this caliber" would be the coaching staff at Nebraska.

As far as my comments about beat out by a RS Fr, I was speaking about last year when Haskins played more than Burrow, so the stage was already set.

I think that people, because the family has a relationship with Nebraska, assumed there would be interest from both sides, yet as far as I know, there has not been any contact from Burrow to Nebraska or from Nebraska to Burrow.

The fact that Frost and Co, passed on the grad transfer from Arizona showed me that they really don't have an interest in a grad transfer. It would make sense to me to pick up a guy with 1 year of eligibility, especially in a transition year, but not one with 2 years of eligibility. You already have a transfer in Vedral, the hand selected freshman in Martinez, and now some want to add a grad transfer, with 2 years of eligibility to the mix???

Lastly, if you watched the spring game, you saw a guy, in Vedral, that has a whole year plus in experience in Frost's offense and he struggled at times. Now you expect a guy to come in in June and pick up the system and start? Maybe ........

Don't think urb can block his transfer I believe he's a grad transfer he can go anywhere and play immediately

Cam Johnson from Pitt went thru this last year when transferring to UNC. Since it was in conference, Pitt had to allow it. Not sure if B10 has the same rules.

CC

According to Sean Callahan, there has been NO contact between Burrow and anyone from Nebraska as of right now
I have to think Burrow is looking at a school with an obvious need for a 2 year starter with his skill set. I'm not sure if he could come in this fall and earn a starting job at NU or not. Forget the FACT that we don't have an open scholarship to give him anyway.

Ok, well it's clear you don't want him here. I'm sure Frost and the Burrow family have taken note.

It has nothing to do with my wants or desires. It just seems to some of you the best QB is always the one that is the back up or isn't on the roster.

And like I have said before, if you pay attention to the actions of the coaches and Burrow, there doesn't appear to be any communication between the 2 parties. Based on that lack of communication, it doesn't appear either side has interest in the other. The only apparent interest is from the fans, which is mainly based on the fact that Joey's family has a history with Nebraska.

It has nothing to do with my wants or desires. It just seems to some of you the best QB is always the one that is the back up or isn't on the roster.

And like I have said before, if you pay attention to the actions of the coaches and Burrow, there doesn't appear to be any communication between the 2 parties. Based on that lack of communication, it doesn't appear either side has interest in the other. The only apparent interest is from the fans, which is mainly based on the fact that Joey's family has a history with Nebraska.
If the staff isn't interested then it is what it is. Maybe they're out of room for QB legacy transfers. But I'd feel a lot better about the QB position in 2018 with him on the roster. Burrow is still a walk-on, is Vedral on scholarship now or technically is he still a walk-on? 4 scholarship QBs is probably about right. I wouldn't like to see them habitually pick up transfers, but they need roster talent upgrades yesterday.

How is it we don't like Burrow because he couldn't win a job at OSU but we love Vedral who couldn't win the job at UCF? I thought Vedral looked like garbage in the Spring Game. Doesn't help that he's not repping with all starters, but still, neither were some of the other guys. Anyone can have a bad day, but if he's supposed to be the heir apparent, I'd sure like to see more than what he showed that day.

Being a #2 or #3 quarterback at OSU puts you miles ahead of a lot of teams' starters. All they did was win a title with their #3 guy a few years back. Cardale Jones is still cashing paychecks that say Chargers on them if you're keeping score at home.

If the staff isn't interested then it is what it is. Maybe they're out of room for QB legacy transfers. But I'd feel a lot better about the QB position in 2018 with him on the roster. Burrow is still a walk-on, is Vedral on scholarship now or technically is he still a walk-on? 4 scholarship QBs is probably about right. I wouldn't like to see them habitually pick up transfers, but they need roster talent upgrades yesterday.

How is it we don't like Burrow because he couldn't win a job at OSU but we love Vedral who couldn't win the job at UCF? I thought Vedral looked like garbage in the Spring Game. Doesn't help that he's not repping with all starters, but still, neither were some of the other guys. Anyone can have a bad day, but if he's supposed to be the heir apparent, I'd sure like to see more than what he showed that day.

Being a #2 or #3 quarterback at OSU puts you miles ahead of a lot of teams' starters. All they did was win a title with their #3 guy a few years back. Cardale Jones is still cashing paychecks that say Chargers on them if you're keeping score at home.

Burrow is and always was a scholarship QB, Vedral can't be one until they drop below the 85.

I agree Vedral looked very average running the offense in the spring game. By all accounts he is a smart guy, very athletic and knows the system. and after a year plus in Frost offense still struggled. But Burrow is going to just come in, with a summer of learning and 4 weeks of team practice and be the savior?

Burrow is and always was a scholarship QB, Vedral can't be one until they drop below the 85.

I agree Vedral looked very average running the offense in the spring game. By all accounts he is a smart guy, very athletic and knows the system. and after a year plus in Frost offense still struggled. But Burrow is going to just come in, with a summer of learning and 4 weeks of team practice and be the savior?
Savior, no. But he's in your top two if you're placing bets on a fall starter, don't you think? I would assume there's more similarity between the OSU offense and Frost's offense than there was between Riley's offense and Frosts's.

I'd sure love not having to choose between starting a walk-on and pulling a redshirt if Gebbia gets hurt this fall.

Savior, no. But he's in your top two if you're placing bets on a fall starter, don't you think? I would assume there's more similarity between the OSU offense and Frost's offense than there was between Riley's offense and Frosts's.

I'd sure love not having to choose between starting a walk-on and pulling a redshirt if Gebbia gets hurt this fall.

Maybe, I don't know, heck I thought Bunch looked just as comfortable in the system as Vedral, based on that one game.

Personally, I don't think Martinez redshirts, so I don't think there is a threat of pulling a redshirt.

In the short term, bringing in a grad transfer may be smart, but Burrow is a 2 year guy. IF everyone stays and Burrow shows up, you go from 3 scholarship QBs in 2018 to 6 for 2019 plus Bunch. From what I have read, Frost wants to QBs in 2019 class, then add Burrow and Vedral. Now you have an over crowded room real quick.

If Burrow was a one year guy, I could see it, 2 year guy it just gets messy.

Reactions: jeans15
Personally, I don't think Martinez redshirts, so I don't think there is a threat of pulling a redshirt.
I agree with this. I don't see why Martinez would want to redshirt and risk falling farther behind Gebbia (assuming he's behind him now, which may or may not be the case). I know there's a theory out there that says Gebbia goes to the NFL early and then Martinez takes over, but that seems like a bit of a reach to me.

Something that hasn't really been brought up is Burrow has been planning to have this transfer 'option' for some time.. at least long enough back to decide to load up on the courses the past 3 years to graduate early.

Now, without getting all 'Law of Attraction' on you guys, I'd say this is working out exactly how the kid planned it so far.

When you make some elaborate backup plan, well that actually becomes the primary plan.

According to Sean, he can talk to anyone other than Big Ten schools. UNLESS, he files for a special waiver and then more than likely only Michigan and Michigan State would be blocked

Remember he also has two summer semesters to take classes and he could have taken some dual credit classes or AP classes in high school that provided some credits.

Maybe, I don't know, heck I thought Bunch looked just as comfortable in the system as Vedral, based on that one game.

In the short term, bringing in a grad transfer may be smart, but Burrow is a 2 year guy. IF everyone stays and Burrow shows up, you go from 3 scholarship QBs in 2018 to 6 for 2019 plus Bunch. From what I have read, Frost wants to QBs in 2019 class, then add Burrow and Vedral. Now you have an over crowded room real quick.

If Burrow was a one year guy, I could see it, 2 year guy it just gets messy.
Two QBs in this class speaks volumes with how young the other guys are. Not a glowing endorsement of what's on campus and suggests to me they don't mind somebody transferring out. Even without him that's a lot of bodies in the QB room if you bring in two more.

I don't know if they're courting him, but if he came you have to imagine they cut back to one QB for 2019 if Burrow comes to NU. I agree six is too many scholarships at QB. But then you wonder if Gebbia leaves if Burrow comes.

Something that hasn't really been brought up is Burrow has been planning to have this transfer 'option' for some time.. at least long enough back to decide to load up on the courses the past 3 years to graduate early.

Now, without getting all 'Law of Attraction' on you guys, I'd say this is working out exactly how the kid planned it so far.

When you make some elaborate backup plan, well that actually becomes the primary plan.
Two-way street. He knew well enough he wasn't Urban's guy.

Two-way street. He knew well enough he wasn't Urban's guy.

Something else to consider is that while Urban is the head coach, he has sort of given the reigns to the offense to Kevin Wilson. Haskins was a rated as a pro-style QB coming out of high school, more in the Cardale Jones mold than the Braxton Miller/ Tim Tebow mold. Maybe he wasn't Wilson's guy.

Well, I don't disagree there but that's not me. In fact, one could say that alot of people on here think the best qb is the one who hasn't actually played yet. In which case.....um yeah.

But anyways, many of the same reports said NU and Frost hadn't been in touch either and that he would probably end up at Florida so take it with a grain of salt. But do you really think Matt Davidson and Jamie Burrow haven't continued to communicate over the years and that both parties aren't well aware of either's situation?

Look, maybe he comes here or maybe he doesn't. That's for others to decide. But what I do know is that if and when our current qb's struggle, alot of the same people who don't think we could use Burrow now will be the first to say Frost and Co. really dropped the ball on this.

Remember he also has two summer semesters to take classes and he could have taken some dual credit classes or AP classes in high school that provided some credits.
Exactly. If a kid is smart and a hard worker, graduating in 3 years is not that hard as an athlete. You can come out of high school with 15-20 hours of college credit and if you take 15 hours per semester, that gives you 105-110 credit hours. Then, most football players take classes during the summer while doing summer workouts and that can give you another 20-30 credit hours and you have enough to get your degree. I don't know exactly what the requirement is at OSU to get a degree and I am sure it depends on what your major is, but I am guessing that 130-140 credit hours will get you a degree.

But I'd feel a lot better about the QB position in 2018 with him on the roster.

I would too if he were already on the roster. But Burrow isn't just looking for a chance to compete. He's targeting a school where he can walk in and start for the next two years. He may be able to do that here, but I doubt Frost is willing to make any assurances with regards to playing time.

And imagine what it would do to the current QB room to bring in a two-year grad transfer after winter conditioning and spring practice then move him to the top of the depth chart assuming he can prove himself in fall camp despite having no prior experience in our new offense.

I don't see that happening in year one of a major rebuild when Frost already has his hand-picked freshman QB on campus (who's been called a "perfect fit") and a second-year freshman workhorse that stuck with the program through the transition. He wants to get those guys reps and develop them. Bringing Burrow in stunts that growth considerably if not prompts one or both to consider a transfer.

Frost is also looking to land 1-2 elite QBs this year. That effort isn't helped by having an upperclassman scholarship QB in the room. Especially if rival recruiters can claim that we "misled" Martinez by bringing in Burrow last minute or even suggest that the same will happen to Johnny Bluechip if he signs with NU.

Wish we hadn't missed on Burrow the first time around. But it doesn't make sense (nor seem like an ideal fit) to make a play for him now. Don't know that you would hear any chatter about him to NU at all if it weren't for the family connection.

I'm ready to go all in on Martinez. Just let him play and take his lumps.... I'd rather break in a new QB now then in two years. I really like Gebbia but lets get someone who can outrun your typical Wisconsin or Iowa linebacker.

Burrow bagged out on a QB competition at tOSU. Why would he come to Lincoln to compete with two 4 stars, one of which was recruited by Frost? I believe Frost thinks he has two guys that can start and another guy who is a seviceable backup. He’s rolling with the three guys now in the room.

Exactly. If a kid is smart and a hard worker, graduating in 3 years is not that hard as an athlete. You can come out of high school with 15-20 hours of college credit and if you take 15 hours per semester, that gives you 105-110 credit hours. Then, most football players take classes during the summer while doing summer workouts and that can give you another 20-30 credit hours and you have enough to get your degree. I don't know exactly what the requirement is at OSU to get a degree and I am sure it depends on what your major is, but I am guessing that 130-140 credit hours will get you a degree.
Sure it can be done, but how often do you hear of this? Almost never. The truth is, it has gotten even harder to graduate in 4 years, and most take about 5 years now. You would need to carry 18 per semester and average 3-4 summer classes as well. With this type of school load, there is no extra time for football, a side job, or much anything else. The percentage of athletes showing up and getting 15-20 hours of credit from high school is very low. The way you talk about it, gives me the impression that you have never actually done it yourself.

Sure it can be done, but how often do you hear of this? Almost never. The truth is, it has gotten even harder to graduate in 4 years, and most take about 5 years now. You would need to carry 18 per semester and average 3-4 summer classes as well. With this type of school load, there is no extra time for football, a side job, or much anything else. The percentage of athletes showing up and getting 15-20 hours of credit from high school is very low. The way you talk about it, gives me the impression that you have never actually done it yourself.
No, it's not easy, but I was just showing that it can be done and how it can be done. With 2 different summer sessions and more high school AP classes, it makes it attainable if someone works their tail off to do it. Most athletes don't have the need or desire to do it, but it seems like Mr Burrow had the desire to do it. Heck, my son is in college now and had over a semester of college credit completed before he even hit college.

And no, I didn't do it. I was on the "Tommy Boy" plan. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT