ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Monken's offense

Fans could handle that level of winning if the coach wasn't an ass
Yeah, but once the option guy only wins 8 games each year, the fans will find something to bitch about it that will start the "ugly" back up.

Remember, Bo was not an ass at first and all the fans loved him. It wasn't until X wins was not enough that things got stupid.

I think this is pretty made up. Navy's "upsets" pretty much consist of beating Notre Dame once every 5 years. Army has had some close calls including about getting Oklahoma and Air Force really hasn't had any, what you would consider, "huge" upsets.
Yeah, I think Navy beat a few really lame ND teams over the last 10-15 years.
Air Force never really upsets anyone but they never really seem to play anyone to have a chance?

Army had two really good chances recently and almost pulled them off.

Yeah, but once the option guy only wins 8 games each year, the fans will find something to bitch about it that will start the "ugly" back up.

Remember, Bo was not an ass at first and all the fans loved him. It wasn't until X wins was not enough that things got stupid.
It wasn't the number of wins that the fans didn't like, it was the type of losses.

Do you have a list? I'm asking honestly because I'm curious. I know Navy has beaten ND a few times recently, and I know that the service academies cover the spread a LOT. However, frequently pulling off huge upsets might be a stretch. I guess the definition of "huge" might vary. I fully agree with Tuco really disliking the plan of shortening the game, limiting possessions and hanging around a close game hoping for a miracle against more talented teams. We won a lot of games running the option because we flat out had better, stronger players. That is not going to be the case in this day and age.
Right off the top of my head from the last two seasons - Virginia and Kansas State.

For Jeff Monken, he already defeated Lance Leipold head-to-head when he was at Buffalo.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Right off the top of my head from the last two seasons - Virginia and Kansas State.

For Jeff Monken, he already defeated Lance Leipold head-to-head when he was at Buffalo.
Okay, so Navy beat a decent K-State team two years ago and also beat a .500 Virginia team in '17. Both bowl games, where we all know weird things happen. But, not taking anything away from Ken Niumatalolo, they won the games. Thanks for proving my point, I guess it's true that the definition of "huge upsets quite frequently" varies.

Reactions: WHCSC
Okay, so Navy beat a decent K-State team two years ago and also beat a .500 Virginia team in '17. Both bowl games, where we all know weird things happen. But, not taking anything away from Ken Niumatalolo, they won the games. Thanks for proving my point, I guess it's true that the definition of "huge upsets quite frequently" varies.

Air Force, Army, and Navy don't play that many P5 schools though.

Going back the last 5 years, these are the P5 schools that Army has played.

P5 school - Army won or loss
Duke - won
Wake Forest - won
Notre Dame - loss
Ohio State - loss
Duke - won
Duke - loss
Oklahoma - overtime
Michigan - overtime
BYU - canceled
WVU - 3 point loss

The only game that wasn't down to the write in any of those games was Ohio State 38-7.

Remember, Army doesn't not have a roster of P5 level athletes.

Main point is, Jeff Monken will be able to add more things to his offense since he will have access to better athletes and he would make a bowl game every year and likely even win the division here and there (not realistic to win it every year like Ohio State).

Reactions: BleedRed78
Air Force, Army, and Navy don't play that many P5 schools though.

Going back the last 5 years, these are the P5 schools that Army has played.

P5 school - Army won or loss
Duke - won
Wake Forest - won
Notre Dame - loss
Ohio State - loss
Duke - won
Duke - loss
Oklahoma - overtime
Michigan - overtime
BYU - canceled
WVU - 3 point loss

The only game that wasn't down to the write in any of those games was Ohio State 38-7.

Remember, Army doesn't not have a roster of P5 level athletes.

Main point is, Jeff Monken will be able to add more things to his offense since he will have access to better athletes and he would make a bowl game every year and likely even win the division here and there (not realistic to win it every year like Ohio State).
3-6 with wins vs Duke and Wake Forest would be a shorter way of putting what you typed. Again, all I was nitpicking was the narrative that service schools have huge upsets often. I think Monken would be an interesting coach at Nebraska and I highly doubt it ever happens. I would probably prefer him over the latest overnight sensation from whatever anonymous G5 team won 10 games last year.

3-6 with wins vs Duke and Wake Forest would be a shorter way of putting what you typed. Again, all I was nitpicking was the narrative that service schools have huge upsets often. I think Monken would be an interesting coach at Nebraska and I highly doubt it ever happens. I would probably prefer him over the latest overnight sensation from whatever anonymous G5 team won 10 games last year.
Fair enough, Jamey Chadwell would be excellent as an option minded spread guy from G5

The former Navy coach won more games going from Navy to Georgia Tech. The same thing would happen with Jeff Monken.

For myself, I just want a running game to return for the identity of the program, good defense, good special teams. We can get that through several coaches on my list with three that I think could be very realistic hires - Jeff Monken, Chris Klieman, and Lance Leipold.

The former Navy coach won more games going from Navy to Georgia Tech. The same thing would happen with Jeff Monken.

For myself, I just want a running game to return for the identity of the program, good defense, good special teams. We can get that through several coaches on my list with three that I think could be very realistic hires - Jeff Monken, Chris Klieman, and Lance Leipold.
The former Navy coach is named Paul Johnson.

At Navy, he won 61% of his 74 games over 6 seasons.

In 11 seasons at Georgia Tech, where he won 57% of his 143 games.

So once again, you are technically wrong. I mean, obviously he won MORE games, he was there for 5 more seasons (11 vs 6), but on average, he was a worse coach at Ga Tech than he was at Navy.

Also, I am not interested in 57% winning pct for our next head coach.

I would simply accept a Tom Osborne offense…not asking for too much. Winking

c3kmzf4mjc9r.gif

tumblr_n3lnixLhDN1to8rm3o1_250.gif

HighBossyKatydid-max-1mb.gif

I would simply accept a Tom Osborne offense…not asking for too much. Winking

c3kmzf4mjc9r.gif

tumblr_n3lnixLhDN1to8rm3o1_250.gif

HighBossyKatydid-max-1mb.gif
Would be a terrible hire. This isn't the 1920's anymore.

We need a pass-first offense to attract those 5-star WR's and 5-star QB's or we will never win a conference title again.

The problem isn't the offense, it is the man calling the plays. There isn't anyone that calls plays for that offense like Osborne. So what you would get is basically Frost calling and running Chip Kelly's offense, at best.

I understand that but please don’t ruin my dream.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT