ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Monken's offense

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021
If he was hired at Nebraska, he would do a damn good job here and don't make the mistake of thinking his triple-option attack is the old-school triple option because it isn't. He runs it out of the flex bone formation as the base set. The wishbone is the old-school triple option. That allows for more flexibility and you can have a TE or RB or a FB at one of the flex spots. This base set forces a defense to have to defend the pass and run.

Other common formations to stress the defense that he uses is the pistol formation, three-wide receiver sets, the T-formation, RPOs from the flexbone.

Navy uses zone blocking in their rushing attack while Army uses gap schemes.

Some clips of other formations used that would be loved at Nebraska.

If Jeff Monken was hired at Nebraska, there will be some fans that would think we went back to the 1960's of high school offenses, but in reality, Jeff's offense is incredibly smart and isn't anything like the old school triple option out of the wishbone.

Jamey Chadwell's option attack is run out of a 21 personnel for his base set. Coastal Carolina lines up in its most common two-back look, with one back offset next to the quarterback and another behind, splitting the halfback and the quarterback, almost like a pistol look. He uses zone blocking for his OL to let the DE go free. The twist that Jamey uses with his triple option concept is the deep halfback is the first read on a lot of his plays rather than the offset halfback, who slips out on that speed option look.

Jamey and Jeff essentially run the same thing but do it a bit differently.

Two things I see wrong first and foremost he’d demand discipline and second how many are there good to great talented that are option quarterbacks in pop Warner let a lone high school? I have no idea that’s why the question

Sorry, I don't see the flexbone winning BIG championships

Doesn't really matter if you take Jamey's offense or Jeff's offense. They both pull guards to kick out ends and get upfield to the LB where the RB's follow behind. They both use 3 backs/TE/h-backs, behind the LOS.

the biggest difference is the vertical passing game that Jamey uses that Jeff doesn't use as much.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Monken was runner up for the KU job. He would have brought in his brother as OC and revamped the offense a bit. I think even he recognizes what he does at Army probably wouldn’t get it done in a P5 conference. Still think he would do well here.

Monken was runner up for the KU job. He would have brought in his brother as OC and revamped the offense a bit. I think even he recognizes what he does at Army probably wouldn’t get it done in a P5 conference. Still think he would do well here.
His brother Tom? I doubt his cousin Todd the OC at Georgia is giving up that gig for Kansas or Nebraska.

I love his offense but one thing that helps them is they are not in a conference, which means they are not seeing all the same teams each season.

So conference teams, after a season or two, have a better understanding (in theory) of how to attack it.

Reactions: mikecanale
It may work to our advantage that quite a few schools do not want Monkens offense, whereas we love that stuff.

I love his offense but one thing that helps them is they are not in a conference, which means they are not seeing all the same teams each season.

So conference teams, after a season or two, have a better understanding (in theory) of how to attack it.
That and the speed of most defenses at the P5 level.

In the Big Ten, unless you can recruit high skill level WR for Monken's offense, the D will just play you man up, or play a man under cover 2.

Secondly, if you could find a running QB that could throw the ball, Frost would have him for what he has run here the last 3 years.

Lastly, this is just another version of the ole, I will play ball control offense and play not to lose rather than play to win.

That and the speed of most defenses at the P5 level.

In the Big Ten, unless you can recruit high skill level WR for Monken's offense, the D will just play you man up, or play a man under cover 2.

Secondly, if you could find a running QB that could throw the ball, Frost would have him for what he has run here the last 3 years.

Lastly, this is just another version of the ole, I will play ball control offense and play not to lose rather than play to win.
Yes and it can "work" to a certain degree but it will also cost you 2-3 games a year.

His brother Tom? I doubt his cousin Todd the OC at Georgia is giving up that gig for Kansas or Nebraska.
It must have been his cousin then since I had the same doubts as you. But that was the story I heard and that KU wasn't really going to be paying SEC money for assistant coaches aka Monken and his crew were too pricey in comparison to Leipold. All the usual internet disclaimers apply.

It must have been his cousin then since I had the same doubts as you. But that was the story I heard and that KU wasn't really going to be paying SEC money for assistant coaches aka Monken and his crew were too pricey in comparison to Leipold. All the usual internet disclaimers apply.
I hear you, I am sure stranger things have happened. I am just seeing a guy leave a top 5 program for the same position at Kansas. Watching UGa on offense, I didn't see many Pistol Shovel Options or Spread Left 44 Front-Side Power calls against Clemson Saturday night.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
There's a reason no one runs that shit anymore.
Wrong. Option plays are in a lot of playbooks for various schools. They just don't use it as their base but a few still do.

Jamey Chadwell is as successful as he is since is smart enough to use the triple option. Jeff Monken takes P5 schools to overtime games with smaller sized players and less athletic players using the triple option.

In fact, option plays are starting to be used more and more across college football since most coaches were not running it and it works against today's defenses.

Bo had option plays. Scott Frost has option plays.

Wrong. Option plays are in a lot of playbooks for various schools. They just don't use it as their base but a few still do.

Jamey Chadwell is as successful as he is since is smart enough to use the triple option. Jeff Monken takes P5 schools to overtime games with smaller sized players and less athletic players using the triple option.

In fact, option plays are starting to be used more and more across college football since most coaches were not running it and it works against today's defenses.

Bo had option plays. Scott Frost has option plays.
you know what else is in a lot of coach's play books, Hook and Ladder, Statue of Liberty, Double Reverse, Double Reverse pass and the very popular Flea Flicker. These plays are also not used as their base.

Reactions: SkerInCo
If he was hired at Nebraska, he would do a damn good job here and don't make the mistake of thinking his triple-option attack is the old-school triple option because it isn't. He runs it out of the flex bone formation as the base set. The wishbone is the old-school triple option. That allows for more flexibility and you can have a TE or RB or a FB at one of the flex spots. This base set forces a defense to have to defend the pass and run.

Other common formations to stress the defense that he uses is the pistol formation, three-wide receiver sets, the T-formation, RPOs from the flexbone.

Navy uses zone blocking in their rushing attack while Army uses gap schemes.

Some clips of other formations used that would be loved at Nebraska.

If Jeff Monken was hired at Nebraska, there will be some fans that would think we went back to the 1960's of high school offenses, but in reality, Jeff's offense is incredibly smart and isn't anything like the old school triple option out of the wishbone.
How many more threads are you going to start? We don't need Monken, and it isn't 1970. A full out option attack isn't going to win anything of significance anymore... YEs, you have to have a decent run game, but there are many ways to do it.

How many more threads are you going to start? We don't need Monken, and it isn't 1970. A full out option attack isn't going to win anything of significance anymore... YEs, you have to have a decent run game, but there are many ways to do it.

You have two errors of thinking and obviously didn't bother to read my original post. It's not the 1970's option attack and a team just this last season went the regular season undefeated using the triple option.

Some are just afraid of using the triple option because of stigma, not because of anything else.

• Love
You have two errors of thinking and obviously didn't bother to read my original post. It's not the 1970's option attack and a team just this last season went the regular season undefeated using the triple option.

Some are just afraid of using the triple option because of stigma, not because of anything else.
If the triple option was such a great option why are there 0 power 5 teams using it? There has to be a reason right?

• Haha
you know what else is in a lot of coach's play books, Hook and Ladder, Statue of Liberty, Double Reverse, Double Reverse pass and the very popular Flea Flicker. These plays are also not used as their base.
Quit trying to ruin his boner for the option based offense

If the triple option was such a great option why are there 0 power 5 teams using it? There has to be a reason right?

Not many P5 schools have ever run it in the last 40 years. Georgia Tech had success doing it and he used the old stuff.

The RPO stuff is basically an option these days too. Jeff and Jamey's offenses use ROP principles in the option attack.

Nebraska running the same stuff that everyone else does will just lead to continued failure.

Kansas City Chiefs will run an option play here and there.
Trev should force Eric Bienemy to say no before even posting the job

He is the biggest no brainer since… well, Scott Frost. 2 straight Super Bowls, knows offense, knows Nebraska, knows winning & I imagine has a hell of a network from which to choose a staff

• Haha
Reactions: huntered and WHCSC

He is the biggest no brainer since… well, Scott Frost. 2 straight Super Bowls, knows offense, knows Nebraska, knows winning & I imagine has a hell of a network from which to choose a staff
Trust me when I say this, Bienemy Hates Nebraska, I would be shocked if he took the HC job if offered.

I 2nd this notion. He may or may not take it. But man make him turn it down. I could see him being a hell of a recruiter. He knows innovative offenses that work. And if he played his card right he could have people on the sidelines recruits would love to interact with.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
The general rule on the option is you are either an option team or you are not.

The amount of practice that goes into running the option usually means you don't just have it in as a play. I know some pro teams run it but it is basically a trick play for them with the QB always pitching.

If you have ever seen a team that runs the option practice it is really pretty neat. I mean just having stations of pich relationships set up and the ball handling drills.

ADVERTISEMENT