ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Monken's offense

If he was hired at Nebraska, he would do a damn good job here and don't make the mistake of thinking his triple-option attack is the old-school triple option because it isn't. He runs it out of the flex bone formation as the base set. The wishbone is the old-school triple option. That allows for more flexibility and you can have a TE or RB or a FB at one of the flex spots. This base set forces a defense to have to defend the pass and run.

Other common formations to stress the defense that he uses is the pistol formation, three-wide receiver sets, the T-formation, RPOs from the flexbone.

Navy uses zone blocking in their rushing attack while Army uses gap schemes.

Some clips of other formations used that would be loved at Nebraska.

If Jeff Monken was hired at Nebraska, there will be some fans that would think we went back to the 1960's of high school offenses, but in reality, Jeff's offense is incredibly smart and isn't anything like the old school triple option out of the wishbone.
How the heck does someone call that play "power"? That goes against just about everything that defines the play "power".

I would be surprised if he accepted if offered. Whether if he hates Nebraska or not. He will get a HC position in the NFL sooner than later in my opinion
We'll see. It's getting embarrassing for him that so many teams have passed on him.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I like the clock control, 4th quarter and I believe running the ball in practice, makes your d a lot tougher and better tacklers for game day.
I agree with this 100%. I would be interested in how much hitting actually gets done in practice these days. They have legislated most of the "to the ground" tackling out of the game in high school practices, not sure on college but would suspect that is most generally the case as well. I'm a strong believer in teams being good at defending what their offense focuses on. If your offense can run the ball your defense will be salty against the run most of the time.

Trev should force Eric Bienemy to say no before even posting the job

He is the biggest no brainer since… well, Scott Frost. 2 straight Super Bowls, knows offense, knows Nebraska, knows winning & I imagine has a hell of a network from which to choose a staff
Does he even have anything to do with KC's offense? It's all Andy.

Carriker speaks the same language as I am. He wants the option back to Nebraska (smash-mouth football) and he isn't alone. It really doesn't matter if you go with Jeff's or Jamey's approach to the triple option since they attack in the gaps are the same in the end, alignments, etc, are the differences.

We'll see. It's getting embarrassing for him that so many teams have passed on him.

Agree, but somebody is going to give him a job very soon. I don't personally have any idea how good he is or if he has a thing to do with the offense...but his official title is OC, and he's black. So the NFL is going to want him to get a job and it will happen.

I believe I read a report about Bielema and some sexual misconduct from his time at Colorado. I think that is coming up in some of the vetting processes
I did read he was on Colorado's coaching staff when there was multiple rape allegations against players. Also in his playing days he assaulted a parking lot attendant. And was banned from campus for a year. Plus a DUI in 2001.

Agree, but somebody is going to give him a job very soon. I don't personally have any idea how good he is or if he has a thing to do with the offense...but his official title is OC, and he's black. So the NFL is going to want him to get a job and it will happen.
I actually thought the Texans blew it not hiring him. Well before all the Watson drama started coming out. I thought with what he learned under Reid and having a QB like Watson would have been a great fit for success with Bienemy

I actually thought the Texans blew it not hiring him. Well before all the Watson drama started coming out. I thought with what he learned under Reid and having a QB like Watson would have been a great fit for success with Bienemy

I did not think about that but I totally agree. Now.

I believe I read a report about Bielema and some sexual misconduct from his time at Colorado. I think that is coming up in some of the vetting processes
Could be, also could be he’s in a ‘head coach in waiting’ type situation in KC

Also could be like venables and just not want to be a HC

That he was never linked to his alma mater after Mel Tucker flew the coop is a bit curious

Reactions: huntered
All the teams are hoping some other team will step up. If Cincy or Arizona falls apart, maybe them. Not too many other teams that don't have a new coach or established coach that's good.

Could be, also could be he’s in a ‘head coach in waiting’ type situation in KC

Also could be like venables and just not want to be a HC

That he was never linked to his alma mater after Mel Tucker flew the coop is a bit curious
So no head coach experience

Reactions: gw2kpro
I don't care what type of offense Nebraska runs as long as they actually have an identity for their offense. I still have no idea what Nebraska's identity is on offense after 3+ seasons.

I think the biggest risk in moving to a primary triple option attack is the "what if it doesn't work" angle. If it doesn't work, Nebraska sets itself another half decade behind being competitive because the personnel style will need to shift to the triple option then likely the pivot away from the triple option.

Just seems like a desperation play where the risks outweigh the rewards imo.

Bienemy has a much better job right now...I find it very difficult to believe he'd have any interest in the NU job....on top of the other issues previously discussed here.

Reactions: WHCSC
I did read he was on Colorado's coaching staff when there was multiple rape allegations against players. Also in his playing days he assaulted a parking lot attendant. And was banned from campus for a year. Plus a DUI in 2001.
t1.jpg

If he was hired at Nebraska, he would do a damn good job here and don't make the mistake of thinking his triple-option attack is the old-school triple option because it isn't. He runs it out of the flex bone formation as the base set. The wishbone is the old-school triple option. That allows for more flexibility and you can have a TE or RB or a FB at one of the flex spots. This base set forces a defense to have to defend the pass and run.

Other common formations to stress the defense that he uses is the pistol formation, three-wide receiver sets, the T-formation, RPOs from the flexbone.

Navy uses zone blocking in their rushing attack while Army uses gap schemes.

Some clips of other formations used that would be loved at Nebraska.

If Jeff Monken was hired at Nebraska, there will be some fans that would think we went back to the 1960's of high school offenses, but in reality, Jeff's offense is incredibly smart and isn't anything like the old school triple option out of the wishbone.
Yes that's fine. I think Frost ran something similar to the first. We've gotta have tackles and the that can block the edge as well as receivers

I love his offense but one thing that helps them is they are not in a conference, which means they are not seeing all the same teams each season.

So conference teams, after a season or two, have a better understanding (in theory) of how to attack it.
Not true... Look at air Force. Conference, and still crush it most years. It's hard to prepare for triple option attack in just a week

Not true... Look at air Force. Conference, and still crush it most years. It's hard to prepare for triple option attack in just a week
Yeah, they do well, but over the last 10 years they have 6.7 wins per season. That is good, no doubt, but say NU runs what they do AND gets some better players, do they average 8 or 9 wins a season?

Well, we had that, with Bo (even better actually) and a lot of fans could not handle that.

I don't care what type of offense Nebraska runs as long as they actually have an identity for their offense. I still have no idea what Nebraska's identity is on offense after 3+ seasons.

I think the biggest risk in moving to a primary triple option attack is the "what if it doesn't work" angle. If it doesn't work, Nebraska sets itself another half decade behind being competitive because the personnel style will need to shift to the triple option then likely the pivot away from the triple option.

Just seems like a desperation play where the risks outweigh the rewards imo.
Except we have most of what we need already? Barring transfers of course

Yeah, they do well, but over the last 10 years they have 6.7 wins per season. That is good, no doubt, but say NU runs what they do AND gets some better players, do they average 8 or 9 wins a season?

Well, we had that, with Bo (even better actually) and a lot of fans could not handle that.
Fans could handle that level of winning if the coach wasn't an ass

Bo was an ass though. Main reason he got fired, as well as his few losses were always very meaningful ones. The service academies pull off huge upsets quite frequently

The service academies pull off huge upsets quite frequently
Do you have a list? I'm asking honestly because I'm curious. I know Navy has beaten ND a few times recently, and I know that the service academies cover the spread a LOT. However, frequently pulling off huge upsets might be a stretch. I guess the definition of "huge" might vary. I fully agree with Tuco really disliking the plan of shortening the game, limiting possessions and hanging around a close game hoping for a miracle against more talented teams. We won a lot of games running the option because we flat out had better, stronger players. That is not going to be the case in this day and age.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Do you have a list? I'm asking honestly because I'm curious. I know Navy has beaten ND a few times recently, and I know that the service academies cover the spread a LOT. However, frequently pulling off huge upsets might be a stretch. I guess the definition of "huge" might vary. I fully agree with Tuco really disliking the plan of shortening the game, limiting possessions and hanging around a close game hoping for a miracle against more talented teams. We won a lot of games running the option because we flat out had better, stronger players. That is not going to be the case in this day and age.
I think this is pretty made up. Navy's "upsets" pretty much consist of beating Notre Dame once every 5 years. Army has had some close calls including about getting Oklahoma and Air Force really hasn't had any, what you would consider, "huge" upsets.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT