ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylin Noel

A 5.6 graded receiver, who has a very weak offer list, was our number one target?
Offer lists mean very little when schools are offering hundreds of recruits. We've gotten a couple guys with Alabama offers over the years. But if the kids we signed had one of the 250 uncommitable offers Alabama gives out each year, what difference does that really make?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Offer lists mean very little when schools are offering hundreds of recruits. We've gotten a couple guys with Alabama offers over the years. But if the kids we signed had one of the 250 uncommitable offers Alabama gives out each year, what difference does that really make?
My first thought is it beats signing kids that didn't even have that, but I do get your point somewhat.

Too many of the recruits under the previous coaching staffs didn't even have that.

Reactions: Dean Pope
What? Nick Saban does not issue 250 non-committable offers every year - that's ridiculous hyperbole.

Scholarship offers are meaningful. At the very least, a scholarship offer from a university means the coaches have made an initial determination that the player has the athletic talent and experience desired by the coaches, usually through personal evaluation at one or more football camps. So a formal offer is a huge step for both the university and the athlete. Commitable of not, once issue an offer is meaningful and vaulable.

Last edited:
Reactions: RothMatt
My first thought is it beats signing kids that didn't even have that, but I do get your point somewhat.
I agree with that, but since these uncommitable offers are not listed as such it's pretty misleading. Sometimes those guys with early offers were guys who projected well as HS sophomores but fizzled out for one reason or another.

What? Nick Saban does not issue 250 non-committable offers every year - that's ridiculous hyperbole.

Scholarship offers are meaningful. At the very least, a scholarship offer from a university means the coaches have made an initial determination that the player has the athletic talent and experience desired by the coaches, usually through personal evaluation at one or more football camps. So a formal offer is a huge step for both the university and the athlete. Commitable of not, once issue an offer is meaningful and vaulable.
Saban gave out 287 offers in 2019. SI article.

I see it a bit different.
NU has give out 442 and 378 offers the last two years. No way you can say NU is any better or different. According to 24/7 Bama has 253 and 215 offer the last two years. Two year totals, Bama-820 offers to
NU's-468.

I see it a bit different.
NU has give out 442 and 378 offers the last two years. No way you can say NU is any better or different. According to 24/7 Bama has 253 and 215 offer the last two years. Two year totals, Bama-820 offers to
NU's-468.

And how many offers going out means nothing. It’s not a bad strategy and it’s not the perfect strategy. The Huskers staff does what works for them and that’s all that matters. Back to back Top 15 and 18 rankings to prove that. I don’t care if they put out 14 thousand offers, if the staff is pulling in Top 20 or better recruiting classes, I’m all for it.

Last edited:
I guess I'm okay with it. You can't go all in on one or two kids at a position. If you do and they go someplace else, then you're scrambling to get a replacement. Some of your kids aren't going to qualify academically. You better be in early with several kids. As they start coming off the board, you have to reorder it. I think high school coaches, players and parents understand how this game is played. It's not ideal.

But, if you have a committable offer and you accept it, the team better not leave you hanging because that is garbage.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I guess I'm okay with it. You can't go all in on one or two kids at a position. If you do and they go someplace else, then you're scrambling to get a replacement. Some of your kids aren't going to qualify academically. You better be in early with several kids. As they start coming off the board, you have to reorder it. I think high school coaches, players and parents understand how this game is played. It's not ideal.

But, if you have a committable offer and you accept it, the team better not leave you hanging because that is garbage.

But, if you have a committable offer and you accept it, the team better not leave you hanging because that is garbage.”

Unfortunately that’s not how it works and the same goes for the player. The team or player can and do leave each other hanging at times. Hell, we have 2 possible DBs doing it to us now without even going through one fall camp. In my opinion, that’s as bad as it gets. Leaves us in a rough spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT