ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson in the portal

Not related to Jackson himself BUT we're almost at the deadline for players declare for the portal and still be eligible to play somewhere this season. Kind of surprised we haven't seen more names yet. Surely the coaches have had their talks by now with the players they wanted to encourage to leave.

Let me make sure I understand. Dude walks on - never played organized football in his life. He was in the Navy. Gets a scholarship and spends 3 years in the program... does absolutely nothing - contributes zero. Enters the portal with the expectation of getting the opportunity to play?

Good luck.

Let me make sure I understand. Dude walks on - never played organized football in his life. He was in the Navy. Gets a scholarship and spends 3 years in the program... does absolutely nothing - contributes zero. Enters the portal with the expectation of getting the opportunity to play?

Good luck.
I don't think he was in scholly could be wrong though

Good luck.
And he was probably still better than guys like Levi Falck etc. who saw the field. Good luck to him, he's a boss. He can easily go FCS and make an impact.

Reactions: Yantzeee

Good luck.
Well he likely won't be going to a P5 school on scholarship. More likely he has his mind set on contributing at a small program with his final year. I'd guess, he just wants to get on the field at whatever school wants him.

Reactions: anon_aq2oj9agff6mk

Good luck.
"Contributes zero"

I dont think that is a fair statement of his time here

Good luck.

I suppose you could summarize it like that. You could also say he was a leader in the weight room and locker room. Made the travel roster. Was depth guy at OLB and played special teams. He ended up playing in 20 games (11 last year and was on scholarship.) For his career he had 2 QB hurries, 1 assisted tackle for loss and 11 total tackles. Not a lot of stats but more than zilch right? We are losing a guy at a position that's a little short so that doesn't help. Best of luck to the guy.

https://huskers.com/sports/football/roster/damian-jackson/43813

Last edited:

Good luck.
I’m guessing he wants to go to a small school so he can play. Strange decision for someone his age though. Would think seeing his time at NU through till the end would be a more valuable experience than going to somewhere new to meet a bunch of new 20 year olds.

Honestly a 30 year old wanting to play football with a bunch of kids is kind of weird in the first place.

I see it as a sacrifice to help the team free up a scholly. I think his impact in the program has been huge, showing younger guys not only how to do things, but what is achievable if you put your mind to it. Great Husker!

Not related to Jackson himself BUT we're almost at the deadline for players declare for the portal and still be eligible to play somewhere this season. Kind of surprised we haven't seen more names yet. Surely the coaches have had their talks by now with the players they wanted to encourage to leave.
They still have tomorrow, but agree, figured there would be a few more

Maybe they’re looking for some place they can get playing time before they move on to real jobs. Or maybe they are looking for some place that fit their academic ambitions. Good luck either way.

You have to think Frost has been told to start running this program like P5 school. You can’t have scholarships given out to guys that will never contribute. Time to cut dead weight, look how SEC schools treat those kids riding the pine .

Reactions: Bold Words
I see it as a sacrifice to help the team free up a scholly. I think his impact in the program has been huge, showing younger guys not only how to do things, but what is achievable if you put your mind to it. Great Husker!

I could see Nebraska immediately hiring him as an assistant strength and conditioning coach as soon as the academic semester ends…mark it down.

I could see Nebraska immediately hiring him as an assistant strength and conditioning coach as soon as the academic semester ends…mark it down.
Thats what I had hoped for. But I wonder if he was encouraged to leave. Something changed. New coaches? His presence was valuable.....I dont agree he "contributed zero."

Maybe they’re looking for some place they can get playing time before they move on to real jobs. Or maybe they are looking for some place that fit their academic ambitions. Good luck either way.
I think he graduated in December. So maybe he is thinking of grad school....and the benefits of having it paid. Can't blame him...even if he is an older student-athlete.

Reactions: dinglefritz
He's about 30, right? Have fun with it I guess, playing the game for pay is not in his future.

He's about 30, right? Have fun with it I guess, playing the game for pay is not in his future.

It’s his life. He has earned to do with it as he pleases.

4B4BC5D400000578-0-image-a-7_1524097694101.jpg

Last edited:
Great story and all but every snap he plays that worsens our chances of winning. He doesn’t have a position at this level. He could probably play DT at a lower Div 1.

Gets a scholarship and spends 3 years in the program... does absolutely nothing - contributes zero.
Strongly disagree. Losing programs need great leadership. That's the number one thing Jackson contributed. Jackson led by example and NU was all the better for it. He showed up on time every day and worked as hard as anyone. The only thing Jackson could not do is back it up on the field. He simply wasn't a P5 caliber athlete. But for not having the athletic ability, he sure did a hell of a job to get as much playing time as he did get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT