ADVERTISEMENT

it's reported Bill Moos is considering alcohol sales at Memorial Stadium

Redondo

Sophomore
Oct 7, 2012
Years ago, it was against state law to have alcohol on state property like in state parks, etc., and on campus.

Is it now legal to have alcohol on state property?

Well, I guess there must be a different article or news out there than what I read. I could swear I read an article recently that said differently. It said, in short, one thing that won't be seen anytime soon is beer sales at memorial stadium. Now I will have to go try to find it back. Maybe it's possible it "was discussed" and that's as far as it went

I believe Moos is only considering allowing limited alcohol use such as in suites, not for general sales in the main stadium. I find it amazing that it has not been available for the suites in the past considering the staggering amount of money they pay for those.

Alcohol is/was quietly allowed in Suites, but it was a hush-hush bring it in discretely on Friday afternoon sort of thing. They may have cracked down on that under Eichorst. Seems like something he would have focused his time and energy on.

There's also alcohol at events at the Wick Alumni Center, both University-sponsored during "business hours" and private party. So this business about no booze on campus is kinda silly, and weren't not even talking about student drinking.

Might as well make it legal/official in the Suites for what they pay. Moos also mentioned selling it in Club areas I believe? If they can make that work, then why not. I'm sure booze at PBA will follow, at least in Suites.

Moos truly is the modern-day Devaney in so many ways.

I believe Moos is only considering allowing limited alcohol use such as in suites, not for general sales in the main stadium. I find it amazing that it has not been available for the suites in the past considering the staggering amount of money they pay for those.
They bring in their own

Reactions: TheBeav815
It is legal in state parks now too. I personally enjoy tailgating but don’t think we need booze sales at football games. Basketball makes much more sense to me.

If anything I think it will cut down on issues. Look how many people rush to slam down two more beers and then take a shot so that their buzz doesn't wear off once in the stadium.

In the skyboxes, as Larry said, it is okay. Basically you have your booze UPS'ed to your box during the week, then you either go up there Friday and put it in your fridge or you just do it Saturday morning. The only thing they freak out about is if your beer is not in a red cup.

We all now beer will be sold at the stadium, it will happen right after Mr. Moral Compass TO is gone.

I think it would be cool to have a few stands that are just local brewers, let them sell their shit.

Reactions: spinner4
Well, I guess there must be a different article or news out there than what I read. I could swear I read an article recently that said differently. It said, in short, one thing that won't be seen anytime soon is beer sales at memorial stadium. Now I will have to go try to find it back. Maybe it's possible it "was discussed" and that's as far as it went
I thought I heard him on sports nightly and he said there were no plans to serve alcohol at memorial stadium. But maybe I didn’t hear correctly

It is legal in state parks now too. I personally enjoy tailgating but don’t think we need booze sales at football games. Basketball makes much more sense to me.

I agree and if your going to drink your going to drink enough before kickoff anyway...

I Prefer a couple of red beers or Bloody Mary in the morning before a 11:00 Kickoff...

I have heard that alcohol in the suites. Personally, either available to the entire stadium or not at all.

Years ago, it was against state law to have alcohol on state property like in state parks, etc., and on campus.

Is it now legal to have alcohol on state property?
Don't need it. Most schools who sell alcohol use it as a way to draw people to games or as a way to increase revenue. Nebraska doesn't have a problem with either. Alcohol in such environments tends to lead to over consumption. Over consumption tends to lead to people being loud, arrogant Ass hats. Most Neb fans go to games to watch games. Not use it as social hour. I just don't see a benefit to doing so.

Don't need it. Most schools who sell alcohol use it as a way to draw people to games or as a way to increase revenue. Nebraska doesn't have a problem with either. Alcohol in such environments tends to lead to over consumption. Over consumption tends to lead to people being loud, arrogant Ass hats. Most Neb fans go to games to watch games. Not use it as social hour. I just don't see a benefit to doing so.

I am not sure which part of this post is more annoying...the part where you think that people will immediately become ass-hat drunks if there is beer or the part where you think Husker fans are dissecting each play during the game and not going to lincoln for the social aspect.

Here is my question...if Husker fans are so smart and polite and respectful...why will beer sales turn them into super assholes?

Alcohol is/was quietly allowed in Suites, but it was a hush-hush bring it in discretely on Friday afternoon sort of thing.
Heavens to Murgatroyd - who starts these vicious rumors? In a previous life, when the suites were brand new, I was occasionally in charge of stocking a company suite with snacks and soft drinks the day before a game. Without fail, I was asked if there was any alcohol and was required to say “No” before I could go in. If that’s not air-tight security, I don’t know what is.

Reactions: WC_'sker
i give it up to all the suite owners who told ‘the man’, to suckit!

I am not sure which part of this post is more annoying...the part where you think that people will immediately become ass-hat drunks if there is beer or the part where you think Husker fans are dissecting each play during the game and not going to lincoln for the social aspect.

Here is my question...if Husker fans are so smart and polite and respectful...why will beer sales turn them into super assholes?
LoL. If people were going to games for strictly the social aspect. They would be tailgating in the parking lots before, during and after the game. Which I might point out many people do. If those in the stadium were interested in the same thing they would be out with them, Not packing a stadium for 60 years.
Also where did I say every single person in the stadium would be drunk and Ass holes? I didn't. I said it tends to lead to that type of behavior. Would everyone be that way of course not. I guarantee you are going to see more of it if alcohol is served. If people want to drink, fine, great. If that is the way it ends up going. I have no problem with it. In my opinion I just don't see the benefit of it.

Heavens to Murgatroyd - who starts these vicious rumors? In a previous life, when the suites were brand new, I was occasionally in charge of stocking a company suite with snacks and soft drinks the day before a game. Without fail, I was asked if there was any alcohol and was required to say “No” before I could go in. If that’s not air-tight security, I don’t know what is.

I remember reading that in an article years ago, LJS I believe, about how alcohol was getting into the Suites, which wasn't exactly a secret at the time. Might have even been when BC was coach, or the early Bo years, so not a recent "rumor" by any means.

It wasn't supplied officially of course, and the University didn't want to know about it or see it coming in, but Suite owners were definitely bringing in booze and those in charge were looking the other way, at least for a time.

+1 for the Snagglepuss reference!

LoL. If people were going to games for strictly the social aspect. They would be tailgating in the parking lots before, during and after the game. Which I might point out many people do. If those in the stadium were interested in the same thing they would be out with them, Not packing a stadium for 60 years.
Also where did I say every single person in the stadium would be drunk and Ass holes? I didn't. I said it tends to lead to that type of behavior. Would everyone be that way of course not. I guarantee you are going to see more of it if alcohol is served. If people want to drink, fine, great. If that is the way it ends up going. I have no problem with it. In my opinion I just don't see the benefit of it.

Sounds like you did have a problem with it, I am glad you have changed your mind.

Alcohol is/was quietly allowed in Suites, but it was a hush-hush bring it in discretely on Friday afternoon sort of thing. They may have cracked down on that under Eichorst. Seems like something he would have focused his time and energy on.

There's also alcohol at events at the Wick Alumni Center, both University-sponsored during "business hours" and private party. So this business about no booze on campus is kinda silly, and weren't not even talking about student drinking.

Might as well make it legal/official in the Suites for what they pay. Moos also mentioned selling it in Club areas I believe? If they can make that work, then why not. I'm sure booze at PBA will follow, at least in Suites.

Moos truly is the modern-day Devaney in so many ways.

Yes, (see bold), sh would have been much more productive if he would have done only that.

I remember reading that in an article years ago, LJS I believe, about how alcohol was getting into the Suites, which wasn't exactly a secret at the time. Might have even been when BC was coach, or the early Bo years, so not a recent "rumor" by any means.

It wasn't supplied officially of course, and the University didn't want to know about it or see it coming in, but Suite owners were definitely bringing in booze and those in charge were looking the other way, at least for a time.
maybe that was bc's problem in 2007--he could have been tanked up half the time and then bo was just a mean drunk for his tyrades LurkRollingLaugh

Last edited:
If anything I think it will cut down on issues. Look how many people rush to slam down two more beers and then take a shot so that their buzz doesn't wear off once in the stadium.

In the skyboxes, as Larry said, it is okay. Basically you have your booze UPS'ed to your box during the week, then you either go up there Friday and put it in your fridge or you just do it Saturday morning. The only thing they freak out about is if your beer is not in a red cup.

We all now beer will be sold at the stadium, it will happen right after Mr. Moral Compass TO is gone.

I think it would be cool to have a few stands that are just local brewers, let them sell their shit.

Dr Tom is a great man far beyond his time as a football coach. He took the A.D. job because he was asked. He didn't want it.

A moral compass is a good thing. Or you could just be offended.

Why do people insist on ruining a good thing? Just to stick it to some percieved "do gooder" boogey men?

The current set up is that fans around the stadium are allowed to tailgate as long as they arent being total morons about it, the cops dont care.
Then, if people really wanna drink that bad, there are ample ways and opportunities to bring in shooters, which many people do and I have done before. Just look on the bathroom stall.
Despite this, and the fact that there are obviously drunk/drinkig fans at the stadium, the amount of foul play or drunk idiot occurances is really at a very low level.

Further, when you have it the current way, do you realize how much money youre saving? If you bring in sales they are going to crackdown a lot more on the outside stuff.

So to recap:
-loose enforcement of current "laws"
-cost savings for the drinker
-excellent game day atmosphere that rivals any in the nation
-not a lot of drunk idiot/spilling problems

But lets put that all at risk so you can buy an 11$ beer and say "yeah take THAT tom osborne you suck!"

It aint broke, dont fix it.

Reactions: huskers360
Not to mention I think the focus is on the husker game right now and not on "oh gotta get another beer" etc.
There are intangibles no one is considering.

Or I could just be right.
or you might be mistaken?:Cool: people who preach against preachers can sound just as preachy, they can sound holier than thou just as strongly as the people they are complaining about

live and let live is less stressful and less aggravating that's my sunday sermon of the day

see what I mean? even I sound preachy

Last edited:
Why do people insist on ruining a good thing? Just to stick it to some percieved "do gooder" boogey men?

The current set up is that fans around the stadium are allowed to tailgate as long as they arent being total morons about it, the cops dont care.
Then, if people really wanna drink that bad, there are ample ways and opportunities to bring in shooters, which many people do and I have done before. Just look on the bathroom stall.
Despite this, and the fact that there are obviously drunk/drinkig fans at the stadium, the amount of foul play or drunk idiot occurances is really at a very low level.

Further, when you have it the current way, do you realize how much money youre saving? If you bring in sales they are going to crackdown a lot more on the outside stuff.

So to recap:
-loose enforcement of current "laws"
-cost savings for the drinker
-excellent game day atmosphere that rivals any in the nation
-not a lot of drunk idiot/spilling problems

But lets put that all at risk so you can buy an 11$ beer and say "yeah take THAT tom osborne you suck!"

It aint broke, dont fix it.
I just want people to get home safely, for themselves and everyone they see

Last edited:
They should just make a drunk section that seats opposing fans on either side and put up chain link around it, give the fans barrels of water balloons and turn the cameras to it at half time.

Could even afford to bring in Tina Turner to announce it with all the B1G money now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT