ADVERTISEMENT

It's Matt Rhule ...

I see mickey as a fine offensive mind, and after 25 years ready to become a oc. (long overdue I might add)
a mr. rhule or perhaps a mr. leopole would be proper at hc to work along side mickey to bring a logical offense back to Nebraska.
I like Mickey as I've stated many times before. He's a terrific recruiter and a great WR coach but I haven't seen evidence that he's a great OC or play caller. He could have over ruled Whipple since he was the head coach for most of this season. I didn't see that happen to any noteworthy effect and there was no greater incentive to show off your skills than vying to be the next head coach on a permanent basis.

Can we at least find a guy who doesn't dress like a fan? Maybe shaves more than once a month? Maybe one who wears a necktie under a pullover half-zip? I miss Bob Devaney's old porkpie hats. And TO's polyester Sans-a-Belts.

Signed,

Karen
I don’t care if he wears a pink tutu and ballet slippers as long as he wins…..well maybe I would care a little bit🤔

Regional television makes it almost certain that we will never see numbers like NU/OU 1971 anymore.

I like Mickey as I've stated many times before. He's a terrific recruiter and a great WR coach but I haven't seen evidence that he's a great OC or play caller. He could have over ruled Whipple since he was the head coach for most of this season. I didn't see that happen to any noteworthy effect.
Based on the vanilla offense we saw during the 2nd half on Saturday, I think it’s clear that MJ never tried to override Whipple because he can’t do any better himself. There’s no creativity in the play calling at all between these two, that I could see.

Reactions: dinglefritz
He also saved Penn State at the time
The bottom line is that there’s no way to know if either guy would work at NU. I think Rhule’s time recruiting in Texas and experience in the B1G helps. IMO Rhule’s personality and public perception probably fits better at NU. Another issue is that BOB might not be available as quickly as we want.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Still waiting patiently for one of these "sure thing" "done deals" with the next head coach to be officially announced. There's been about 4 or 5 of them already so one of them has to happen. Right? :)

The bottom line is that there’s no way to know if either guy would work at NU. I think Rhule’s time recruiting in Texas and experience in the B1G helps. IMO Rhule’s personality and public perception probably fits better at NU. Another issue is that BOB might not be available as quickly as we want.
The bar is so low that either will do better than what we have had since 2015. We thought hit it out of the park last time and struck out.
It’s like drafting for baseball, there are a limited sure fire guys, but it’s really a crapshoot

I didn't see any issue with that clip. Obviously super frustrated, obviously knows he's going to get fired, looked like a fairly normal interaction in that situation. I don't know much about him as a coach, but that clip didn't tell me anything.

You are debating with a guy that decides how successful coaches and players will be based on their haircuts and how fast they talk.

Well, he's turned around two programs that were in the toilet. Not many other candidates can say that. He'd probably get us back to bowl games every year, but probably not competing for championships. A low-risk, yet low-reward hire IMO.
Would you want a high risk, high reward coach? If so, who? Would you want a low risk, high reward? Wouldn't we all? If so, who?

I like Mickey as I've stated many times before. He's a terrific recruiter and a great WR coach but I haven't seen evidence that he's a great OC or play caller. He could have over ruled Whipple since he was the head coach for most of this season. I didn't see that happen to any noteworthy effect and there was no greater incentive to show off your skills than vying to be the next head coach on a permanent basis.
After the Michigan game it is pretty clear that Smothers is not a college qb. Mickey probably made the best choice for the team sticking with Purdy.

Picking between 2 shit sandwiches means you're still eating a shit sandwich.

Reactions: king_kong_
Personally, I'm waiting for the name Ruhle to join Winstrom, Peters, Frasier, Osbourne, Rogers, Davidson and Kenney in the annals of Husker legends.
crotch rot, smilin' mike, and callafraud are the anals of Husker legends.

I think some version of pods or protected rivalry games are coming BUT the exact make up will depend on whether or not more schools are added from the PAC as has been sometimes rumored. Don't know anything but I'm guessing Washington and Oregon still are likely adds in addition to USC and UCLA.
The easiest solution is to move USC and UCLA to the West, and Illinois and Northwestern to the East. If they want to keep divisions, that is.

Ruhle has:
played in the B1G as an LB.
coached the DL, ST, LBs, QBs(wtf?), OL and TEs.
been an OC (wtf?).
been a recruiting coordinator.
college and NFL coaching experience.

Dude has a rep for rehabbing dumpster fire programs and has about as varied a coaching experience as one can imagine. Sign him up day after the Iowa game.
It's Rhule. You're better than this inWV. It's not difficult.

Reactions: inWV
Kinda where Im at.
It seems some of our fans think there is a guaranteed coach out there. Who is he? The fact is, there is not, and it's funny to me that people think he has reached his ceiling. I'd love to see an 11 win season again. Rarefied air. The fact that he's gotten double-digit wins at two troubled schools is very impressive.

It seems some of our fans think there is a guaranteed coach out there. Who is he? The fact is, there is not, and it's funny to me that people think he has reached his ceiling. I'd love to see an 11 win season again. Rarefied air. The fact that he's gotten double-digit wins at two troubled schools is very impressive.
Biggest knock on Rhule is that he was unsuccessful as a head coach in the NFL.

As are most college coaches, it seems.

I'll take it.

Biggest knock on Rhule is that he was unsuccessful as a head football coach in the NFL.

As are most college coaches, it seems.

I'll take it.
Yeah, don't you think that's a win? He outta be gun shy about going back to the pros. Has anyone jumped between college and NFL more than once and succeeded, other than Pete Carroll?

Reactions: BleedRed78
running games are pretty fun right now, too

miami, sf, philly, dallas, giants all turning back the clock in many ways with rush offense

I think Saquon carried the rock 36 times yesterday
I love it. Just worry about one guy carrying too much of the load and his team's success depending on it. I suppose they have to because their quarterback is just not that good. Same with Jimmy G. You kind of know what you got. In that case, manufacture wins anyway you can.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT