ADVERTISEMENT

It appears to me that Mike Riley and Eichorst have done something

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
I wasn't sure could ever be done. It appears to me that they've united the fan base......Reading this board and watching mortal enemies kiss and make up just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.:D Of course it could be the just the drugs I take but hey.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure could ever be done. It appears to me that they've united the fan base......Reading this board and watching mortal enemies kiss and make just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.:D Of course it could be the just the drugs I take but hey.
I knew it would get better as soon as everyone came around to my way of thinking. Laughing

I knew it would get better as soon as everyone came around to my way of thinking. Laughing
Don't gloat. I am not one bit sorry that I defended this staff until the bitter end even though there were some decisions that I didn't like. I still think it was the right thing to do and I would do it again. I'm big on trying to do the "right" thing. I think Riley and his staff tried really hard to do they "right" things and have fallen short in the results column this year.

Don't gloat. I am not one bit sorry that I defended this staff until the bitter end even though there were some decisions that I didn't like. I still think it was the right thing to do and I would do it again. I'm big on trying to do the "right" thing. I think Riley and his staff tried really hard to do they "right" things and have fallen short in the results column this year.
I, for one, have never thought your support for this staff was a problem in any way. We all have different views. But what I liked about your approach was that it came with reasons and was civil.

That has not been true of many on here on both sides of the aisle. So I hope you are right that Riley/Eichorst have bonded us! Oh feel the warmth... no strain at all....

I, for one, have never thought your support for this staff was a problem in any way. We all have different views. But what I liked about your approach was that it came with reasons and was civil.

That has not been true of many on here on both sides of the aisle. So I hope you are right that Riley/Eichorst have bonded us! Oh feel the warmth... no strain at all....

Sometimes things just don’t work out like you wanted them to. I’ve no doubt that Riley and his staff wanted to win all the games they’ve coached here, but it didn’t happen. There just wasn’t that continuity, all on the same level mentality that must prevail if a staff and team is to get to the same place, winning consistently or when losing, it was a bar fight mentality, leaving everything on the field and knowing you had a shot to win in defeat.

Mike Riley is a damn good person, and I wish it would have ended better for him and all the coaches, it just wasn’t meant to be. I truly wish him good health and happiness the rest of his days. In some ways, despite the win/loss record, he’ll leave the program a bit better than when he arrived.

I was certainly one that was in the "don't know if Frost is ready" camp but now I am fully behind getting him. He just seems like the right guy at the right time. God, please let it work out for all of us!

Reactions: FrostTroll
Sometimes things just don’t work out like you wanted them to. I’ve no doubt that Riley and his staff wanted to win all the games they’ve coached here, but it didn’t happen. There just wasn’t that continuity, all on the same level mentality that must prevail if a staff and team is to get to the same place, winning consistently or when losing, it was a bar fight mentality, leaving everything on the field and knowing you had a shot to win in defeat.

Mike Riley is a damn good person, and I wish it would have ended better for him and all the coaches, it just wasn’t meant to be. I truly wish him good health and happiness the rest of his days. In some ways, despite the win/loss record, he’ll leave the program a bit better than when he arrived.
The players won't be all pissy and should be more welcoming to the new coach than they were after Pelini was let go. But...... it's gonna take a few years to install the swagger, that killer instinct on the field. Getting rid of this pussified culture will be the biggest challenge ahead. Whoever the new coach is, they'll need to set the tone the second they get off that plane!

Reactions: Agegoneby
When Riley was hired I was like some "Who is that". After reading and being convinced he just needed resources, I had some high hopes that things would get better. The attitude improved, but the results never did. I told my wife that year 3 was the defining year and no more excuses about Bo, etc. After NIU, I really pretty much wrote it off to a bad experiment. I too tried to defend this staff but those days are gone.

Good luck to Mike in the future as I think he is a really good person and has at least brought that here.

Agreed. I too supported Riley and his staff and have no regrets. My biggest disappointment is that they just did not seem to have exacting standards and demand it of the team. From stupid penalties, to poor execution, to bad play calling, across the board, they just never seemed to be imposing a high standard and moving toward it. I expected much better there.

Reactions: HuskerO
But...... it's gonna take a few years to install the swagger, that killer instinct on the field. Getting rid of this pussified culture will be the biggest challenge ahead.
I would think that the right coach could get the swagger and killer instinct back within 2 years. Shoot Mark Richt did it in his first year at Miami.

Reactions: huskerssalts
It would be nice to see the fan base more united. For as much as I disagreed with pretty much everything that has to do with Mike Riley, I still wanted to see the Huskers win this year. If some fans think they need to apologize, then they should do that to get right with themselves.

Before the season, I'd come to the conclusion that if we didn't win at least 8 games this year, it would be best for me to go back to just lurking. 8 is an impossibility at this point.

First of all it wasn't gloating. It had a laughing face attached to the message. But while we are on the topic stop trying to defend your assessment of this coaching staff as the "right" thing. By doing so you are acting like those of us who saw the train wreck coming were doing the "wrong" thing.

I know very few posters are expecting anyone to eat crow because they realize its easy to drink the koolaid. But we certainly expect a certain amount of humble pie instead of trying to sell us on your poor assessment of the situation being the right thing to do?

I would think that the right coach could get the swagger and killer instinct back within 2 years. Shoot Mark Richt did it in his first year at Miami.
I think the right coach can do it in a year at NU. The issue is you need to have immediate success for that to happen and I don't think we have Miami kind of talent across the board. We've got enough talent to compete for the west right away iMO, but Miami is playing at a very high level.

First of all it wasn't gloating. It had a laughing face attached to the message. But while we are on the topic stop trying to defend your assessment of this coaching staff as the "right" thing. By doing so you are acting like those of us who saw the train wreck coming were doing the "wrong" thing.

I know very few posters are expecting anyone to eat crow because they realize its easy to drink the koolaid. But we certainly expect a certain amount of humble pie instead of trying to sell us on your poor assessment of the situation being the right thing to do?
You were gloating. I would probably do that too. It's human nature to want to be right and then thump our chest a little bit when it turns out that way. My "assessment" of the situation this year was that I wanted to wait for that assessment until we had played the games. You can call it a poor assessment. I like to think it was a logical thing to do. Well, it became obvious to me recently that the rest of the games probably don't matter to his job security anymore. IF he would beat PSU and Iowa (ain't happn) it would certainly help my assessment, but I still think then the inconsistency of his season and the blowout at Minnesota make it a moot point. He's done.

I wasn't sure could ever be done. It appears to me that they've united the fan base......Reading this board and watching mortal enemies kiss and make up just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.:D Of course it could be the just the drugs I take but hey.
It's the drugs, don't see it.

Reactions: dinglefritz

I appreciate the OP. No one thinks it was wrong to support the current regime if you had a decent rationale.

The issue was always running off people who thought differently and pointed to rational arguments. When some brought up Riley's teams penalties at OSU, they were lambasted because that was irrelevant. When people talked about horrendous clock management, they were told it was always the player's fault. When some pointed out that recruiting was so much better when the numbers were equal or worse to Bo, they were laughed off and told they didn't understand. When people said Riley barely won a conference game in his last year and a half at OSU, they were told nobody could coach in Corvallis and he had done just fine there. When anything negative was brought up prior to NIU and we said Riley bears responsibility, we were called trolls and told it was the fault of Bo and his toxic culture.

Supporting the staff is fine. Many did that here in a respectful way. However, silly defenses of this staff when the facts are not supportive of that defense has been the problem.

Diaco even more so. Nobody likes that guy.Laughing

You were gloating. I would probably do that too. It's human nature to want to be right and then thump our chest a little bit when it turns out that way. My "assessment" of the situation this year was that I wanted to wait for that assessment until we had played the games. You can call it a poor assessment. I like to think it was a logical thing to do. Well, it became obvious to me recently that the rest of the games probably don't matter to his job security anymore. IF he would beat PSU and Iowa (ain't happn) it would certainly help my assessment, but I still think then the inconsistency of his season and the blowout at Minnesota make it a moot point. He's done.
He wasn't gloating. You're the one who is insecure about being wrong and trying to deflect any blame from yourself.

Exactly and another thing is just because you were a Riley supporter doesn't mean you are any more optimistic than a Riley critic. I've been a Riley critic basically since he's been here, but I'm very optimistic about the future direction of this program.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace

Its not just the results column. It's how we looked getting to those results. that's what convinced me that it was time to move on. Our play on the field is as apathetic as our fan base has become.

Its not just the results column. It's how we looked getting to those results. that's what convinced me that it was time to move on. Our play on the field is as apathetic as our fan base has become.
Yep. Kind of what I meant about some of the in game coaching choices Riley made. That's why I didn't say the win/loss column. I've thought previously we could maybe tweak the staff and make it work, but he's done some things late this year that were clearly his decision that made no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT