ADVERTISEMENT

Is Raiola sick?

we can always run it a little more but we also have to let satt have his bottle knowing all he wants to do is throw it
We have a top QB whose strength is his arm. Something was clearly off in the passing game though. I dropped my son and grandsons off as close to the game as I could get them then went and watched it at Tico’s so I couldn’t tell how much of the issue was the wind.

Body language was horrible. I noticed after a missed throw or 2 the receivers would look back and have that WTF expression. Off day, it happens. He’ll grow from it, get his mojo back during the off week.
Ive been around long time & saw many throwing Husker Qbacks. Dave H. Vince Feragamo. Throwing in the wind condition hurts in both directions. Quite hot day, windy, young Qback,"young & learning receivers. Im quite happy to be 5 & 1. Greg S. Is no slouch as he knows defense. 7 & 5 for the years is ok. We are a developing team

People are way overthinking this. Windy day against a team that supposedly has a strong pass D but doesn't put up a lot of points. Dylan is at his best on those medium-deep throws. Rutgers wasn't giving him those and there was no need push it. I think he got a little nervous to throw a pick, knowing it was one of the few ways Rutgers was winning.

Off day, windy, good Rutgers D.

What surprised me a bit is he didn’t take off when nothing was open. That’s one of the things that makes Mahomes such a pain in the ass to deal with. Frequently something pops open and he doesn’t even have to risk contact.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Windy day, play calling that comes with a 14 point lead and a salty D, and a young QB who had a below average game.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Schiano is one tough SOB and he KNOWS football - especially D. He is an NFL coach who could not make it in the league because he was not a player's coach - not because he did not know this Xs and Os. We should be happy we beat him with a Frosh QB. I work at Rutgers and saw several games last year and I liked Gavin Wimsatt at QB but he ended up at Kentucky. He is better than Kalakmanis IMO and would have been tougher to stop. Not sure what happenned there.

I will be in Piscataway at noon next week to see Rutgers stop Wisky which I think they will.

Be sure to report back with a review of the smell.
Nice place to watch a game actually. New Jersey gets a bad rap. I have only been working there three years - not a place I want to live forever but a lot better than people think. Newark sucks but that is half hour away. Otherwise Jersey has beaches, rivers, some mountains etc. Taxes are high and the politics are controlled by big city libs but the central and western part of the state are quite nice. Also, they don't sell out so it is roomy and the concessions are very user friendly. The tailgate seen is ALOT better than you would imagine.

I would not have minded seeing HH come in for the last drive when we were just trying to run clock. As long as you can’t pass and really don’t want to in that situation put HH in as an extra running threat.

Reactions: 10Trvln
We have a problem with receivers not getting open. When we complete a pass it’s from a great DR throw. When opponent completes a pass it’s to a wide open receiver. I still think our 22 year old receiver couch is part of the problem.
well that would indicate there has been no improvement in play by WRs over last year, just that a couple of new ones are really fast and can run past DBs from some opponents. No teaching being done no effective techniques to show them how to get open

Schiano is one tough SOB and he KNOWS football - especially D. He is an NFL coach who could not make it in the league because he was not a player's coach - not because he did not know this Xs and Os. We should be happy we beat him with a Frosh QB. I work at Rutgers and saw several games last year and I liked Gavin Wimsatt at QB but he ended up at Kentucky. He is better than Kalakmanis IMO and would have been tougher to stop. Not sure what happenned there.

I will be in Piscataway at noon next week to see Rutgers stop Wisky which I think they will.
Unless their starting running back got hurt early in the game, Schiano and his staff shit the bed yesterday.

Rutgers going away from the run after torching us on the ground in the first quarter was a huge contributing factor in their loss.

They stopped giving their best player touches, and were instead relying on their statue QB -- who is very, very average -- to win the game.

Unless their starting running back got hurt early in the game, Schiano and his staff shit the bed yesterday.

Rutgers going away from the run after torching us on the ground in the first quarter was a huge contributing factor in their loss.

They stopped giving their best player touches, and were instead relying on their statue QB -- who is very, very average -- to win the game.
So what. Finally saw NU take advantage of other coaching staffs game call defiencies. I mean one could credit the NU defensive staff for adjustments. When he did run after early in the game he wasn't gashing the defense. Sometimes it's ok to give credit where credit is due.

They had three drives with decent production, then two things happened. NU started playing with two Jacks and also scored to go up 14-0. Rutgers was looking at grinding away for less yardage per play for a half and hoping NU would start shitting the bed on run D. They had decent field position for much of the second half, but couldn’t get enough rhythm to consistently move the ball. The fact that they were generally getting stoned when they did run, it did not help them in the pass game at all.

So what. Finally saw NU take advantage of other coaching staffs game call defiencies. I mean one could credit the NU defensive staff for adjustments. When he did run after early in the game he wasn't gashing the defense. Sometimes it's ok to give credit where credit is due.
Yep. White outschemed their OC who then failed to adjust to keep their best player involved in the game.

We have been on the other side of that many times.

Coaching matters immensely.

We have a problem with receivers not getting open. When we complete a pass it’s from a great DR throw. When opponent completes a pass it’s to a wide open receiver. I still think our 22 year old receiver couch is part of the problem.
Too many of our receivers do not run crisp routes. Frustrating seeing them round every turn and give the db a heads up.

The fact that they were generally getting stoned when they did run, it did not help them in the pass game at all.

94cb092c9bcf40c6194dd697e9eceef1.gif

Too many of our receivers do not run crisp routes. Frustrating seeing them round every turn and give the db a heads up.
That’s the stuff I’m talking about when I said they aren’t being taught what to do. Route running is poor. The guys like Barney get open when matched up with much slower DB and he can blow past them. Unfortunately not much has improved since last year and I’ve seen others on here say run blocking by WRs is poor.

Reactions: Hoboken Joe
They had three drives with decent production, then two things happened. NU started playing with two Jacks and also scored to go up 14-0. Rutgers was looking at grinding away for less yardage per play for a half and hoping NU would start shitting the bed on run D. They had decent field position for much of the second half, but couldn’t get enough rhythm to consistently move the ball. The fact that they were generally getting stoned when they did run, it did not help them in the pass game at all.
Yep. Rhule said in the PC that White put 5 guys in the box to stop the run after Q1 and it was like "going against the family" or something like that, meaning it wasn't really White's defense, but it worked. The Rutgers coaches aren't stupid, especially Schiano, if they could have carved us up with the run they would have, but they couldn't after the 1st Q adjustment. It is possible we are so jaded about our coaches not being able to make in game adjustments, when they do, we think it must be the other team's playcalling fault they can't produce.

Yep. Rhule said in the PC that White put 5 guys in the box to stop the run after Q1 and it was like "going against the family" or something like that, meaning it wasn't really White's defense, but it worked. The Rutgers coaches aren't stupid, especially Schiano, if they could have carved us up with the run they would have, but they couldn't after the 1st Q adjustment. It is possible we are so jaded about our coaches not being able to make in game adjustments, when they do, we think it must be the other team's playcalling fault they can't produce.
You know as well as the rest of us, we’ve spent 10 years plus of watching other teams make adjustments while we stood still. It’s going to take us time to believe otherwise.

I would not have minded seeing HH come in for the last drive when we were just trying to run clock. As long as you can’t pass and really don’t want to in that situation put HH in as an extra running threat.
If we didn't see HH get meaningful snaps in the last two games, I don't think we ever will.
These were both teams that struggled to stop the run, in addition yesterday had conditions for throwing that were not ideal.
My guess is they are afraid of turnovers.

I remember a point in the game where DR was waiting for the play to come in and when it did he was clearly frustrated. He kind of rolled his eyes and shook his head.
He looked far more frumpy than focused. Glad we got the W. Next?! 👍

If we didn't see HH get meaningful snaps in the last two games, I don't think we ever will.
These were both teams that struggled to stop the run, in addition yesterday had conditions for throwing that were not ideal.
My guess is they are afraid of turnovers.
I don't understand why so many clamor for this.

HH is our backup quarterback. that is an extremely important position.

running him in games against terrible conference foes would be so incredibly stupid.

our OC and OL coach need to figure out how to scheme (and commit to) the running game with our backs.

if we want to run him against USC or an actual good opponent in a must-win game, so be it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't understand why so many clamor for this.

HH is our backup quarterback. that is an extremely important position.

running him in games against terrible conference foes would be so incredibly stupid.

our OC and OL coach need to figure out how to scheme (and commit to) the running game with our backs.

if we want to run him against USC or an actual good opponent in a must-win game, so be it.
Agree and why not mix in some more I Formation. The fullback is doing a pretty good job on isos and powers and there is plenty you can run out of it in the pass game. I think we need to see more of this outside of just inside the 5. I'm glad they have finally gone to this as it has paid off.

Agree and why not mix in some more I Formation. The fullback is doing a pretty good job on isos and powers and there is plenty you can run out of it in the pass game. I think we need to see more of this outside of just inside the 5. I'm glad they have finally gone to this as it has paid off.
a 2-back G running scheme is something college teams haven't had to prepare for in earnest for many, many years.

likely something college kids these days didn't see much of in high school, either.

a program committed to it would absolutely slaughter opponents, especially when paired with a generational talent under center.

the issue is there aren't a ton of coaches who believe in it. and it would appear our OL coach and OC are among those who think looking like everyone else is a good plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT