ADVERTISEMENT

Is our growth as a team obvious to everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to go to the original question, it isn't "obvious" yet, certainly not to everyone. Main thing I notice is that things have settled down at least, there was way too much off the field drama the last couple of years, with the coaching turnover and all. That is positive. And the recruiting looks promising to this point. Comparing this year's team to last year on the field is tough at this point. Most would say some of the losses last year were sort of a fluke. Just a lot of bad luck to go with some average play. So even winning 8 (say) this year might not show that we are a better team. Beating a couple of softies at the start of this year doesn't show much, for all we know maybe we're just having some better luck. So I guess it isn't obvious to me yet that we have grown as a product on the field. But it does seem clear that we haven't regressed. Any sort of win this Saturday would be a clear indicator of progress to me.

Look, I routinely posted years ago back in the Austin360, ToughTony, HuskerCentral days. I had dependable inside sources and would share some information from time to time, etc. I quit posting when the new wave of posters like you started posting on these sites. Name calling, trolling, bullying, etc. Perhaps it is you that should stick to lurking since you can't have a discussion with anyone with a differing opinion without resorting to junior high antics.
So you have dependable insider information from time to time yet you fail to grasp the strength of the 97 and especially the 95 Huskers???

So you have dependable insider information from time to time yet you fail to grasp the strength of the 97 and especially the 95 Huskers???
Unless someone has a magic crystal ball or lives in your overly obsessive make-believe husker world where no one dares question your beliefs regarding the huskers, I don't see how anyone could definitively say that the '97 huskers would beat Michigan beyond a shadow of a doubt. I think they would, but then again, I thought we would beat Texas every time we played them also. And you keep missing the point about the 95 skers. They were so dominant that they weren't tested all year and that leaves one wondering how good they potentially really were. Were they the best all time? Could they beat a crappy NFL team? Could they beat a college all-star team? My point was that we don't know what their ceiling was because they were never pushed to it.

I think it has to be obvious. Even when we won last year, we didn't see this kind of swarming defense. That's pure effort and want to right there.

This time last year, we were exchanging GIFs of players standing around during plays and conducting witch hunts of who was N or out vis a vis the new stafff with the guys in the locker room.

Nada of that this year.
Defense is definitely better; team unity behind the coaches much better; offense is slightly better - mainly due to Devine and an improved Newby. Wished Collins and Valentine would have stayed for their senior yrs - we would have been lights out on D Line.

Unless someone has a magic crystal ball or lives in your overly obsessive make-believe husker world where no one dares question your beliefs regarding the huskers, I don't see how anyone could definitively say that the '97 huskers would beat Michigan beyond a shadow of a doubt. I think they would, but then again, I thought we would beat Texas every time we played them also. And you keep missing the point about the 95 skers. They were so dominant that they weren't tested all year and that leaves one wondering how good they potentially really were. Were they the best all time? Could they beat a crappy NFL team? Could they beat a college all-star team? My point was that we don't know what their ceiling was because they were never pushed to it.
You need to use my crystal ball...
4.jpg

Reactions: bigboxes
Rover be trollin' again. Oh joy
Nebraska kicks Fresno State in the teeth by 33 points and then jacks up Wyoming by 35 yet I'm the one trolling? After the Huskers blast the Ducks what's gonna be the excuse then... Oregon sucked???

Is this the same crystal ball that not only guaranteed a win, but a blowout win over Iowa last year??

Is this the same crystal ball that claims we have "playoff" level talent and will finish the season 12-1 ???
11-1. Get it right at least.

With every win you guys will look even more ridiculous with all the negative talk.

The coaching of the players at different positions has been stark imo. And that's a great thing to see. I expect to see us get better as the season continues.

OK, having become dizzy from reading all of this I thought I would go back and see what the actually question was.

1. Your assertion that the "coaching of the players at different positions has been stark imo". What are the "various positions" and how would you know? Are you there every day? How do you know the players aren't just getting better with age and experience? I don't doubt the players are getting better, that is what they are supposed to do? How do you measure this improvement you are witnessing? It needs to be tangible aside from from stats about D national rank and turnover margin after two games. We did return several starters on both sides so the experience factor has to come into play somewhere. And what is the "stark" comparison made to? Last year or the prior coaching staff? Last wee? In sort what is your criteria?

2. The fact that you expect us to get better as the season goes is realistic but I am not sure how you measure that when the competition will also get better. From past history next year we will post after post telling us how we nearly beat so and so and could have if we would have just done............... We can conceivably get better and still lose games - fact of life. People coach and work their butts off and still are not successful.

There is simply only one way to measure any of what you are saying - wins. Tout the FSU and Wyo games all you want but they are wins against vastly inferior teams and at home. We have struggled through many years of lack luster seasons and the mention of greatness is cooled with the reality of win/loss record. It comes down to show me the money.

If anyone questions you the commentary goes to name calling and the assertion we don't want Nebraska to win. I can't speak for everyone but that seems a bit preposterous. Some of us are realists, we have to see the actual results before we cash the check. We don't anoint the team until the team accomplishes what it sets out to do.

And please can you quit with comments about the prior coaching staff? You think so many are living in the past when you bring it up constantly. It is not an excuse anymore. Obama still blames Bush, who is Hillary going to blame? After a while, take some responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT