ADVERTISEMENT

Is our DL underrated?

How could any position group be underrated, we won 4 games last year, doesn’t that speak for itself? :p. I jest of course, but i am a big believer in put up or shut up at this point. Prove we aren’t underrated on the field.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
This year will tell us quite a lot about who these players in question are.
We did not have the least (raw) talented defense in the country but we had the worst stats... that seems to be a pretty direct indicment of the coaching/conditioning.
It’s not realistic to think we struck out on every recruit while on paper they were a better unit than many opponents. I take star rankings for what their worth (something but not everything) but simple averages should allow for plenty of successful players... unless their being poorly coached, then you get the ex- Cockeye scam artist excrement stained dejected blackshirts lying in the gutter with Frost left to wash em clean and resurrect them.

Any chance Vainuku ends up at OT this fall?

According to senior defensive tackle Mick Stoltenberg, Vainuku the 6-foot-3, 295-pound native of Salt Lake City, Utah, has immediately impressed in his short time in Lincoln thus far.

“He's just a big dude,” Stoltenberg said. “He's not like sloppy; he's lean. He looks good, he's got a good physique to him. He looks like a natural d-lineman. He moves well. He's pretty athletic. Just going out and working on the sleds and stuff, he's got a good strike.

“I think he's a big, powerful dude. He benches a house. That's obviously going to be awesome too. I don't know exactly where he's going to play yet. I've talked to (defensive line coach Mike Dawson) a little bit about it, but he's not 100 percent certain. Wherever we put him I think he can help us out a lot.”

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
According to senior defensive tackle Mick Stoltenberg, Vainuku the 6-foot-3, 295-pound native of Salt Lake City, Utah, has immediately impressed in his short time in Lincoln thus far.

“He's just a big dude,” Stoltenberg said. “He's not like sloppy; he's lean. He looks good, he's got a good physique to him. He looks like a natural d-lineman. He moves well. He's pretty athletic. Just going out and working on the sleds and stuff, he's got a good strike.

“I think he's a big, powerful dude. He benches a house. That's obviously going to be awesome too. I don't know exactly where he's going to play yet. I've talked to (defensive line coach Mike Dawson) a little bit about it, but he's not 100 percent certain. Wherever we put him I think he can help us out a lot.”

Wow.....that sounds good!

Just like a lot of spots on the team, we don't know how these kids will perform based on the new coaching. What we've heard is great with the attitude. The hope is these guys can get pressure and get to the QB. Hopefully last seasons mindset is completely turned around. The depth is looking very solid. Now, it's just how are these guys going to perform in the new system. It's an unknown.

Freedom, Mick, and the Daniels twins? They had a chance to pick it up last year. Did they? No. Good coaching can take a player a long way.. Heart is something that is hard to teach. Look to the future, because these upperclassman have no heart and have shown that their entire career. Hell, they wouldn't have been 3rd or 4th string on a national championship caliber team. I suspect the young guns will overtake them midway through the season. Well now, they have good coaching you say? Heart is instilled in the player from the get go. A coach can wake them up a bit, but for the most part.......Well, you get my drift. Hope I'm wrong though.
You're right about Freedom and Mick imo, but wrong about the Davis twins. Also you can have heart and flat out quit(i know it seems contrary) when you have NO direction. But I also agree that we will be seeing A LOT more of Damian Daniels and Deontre Thomas than many think. Hell i could see Stoltenberg being 3rd string by the end of the year behind C. Davis and Daniels(who is built like the gods designed a NT).

I agree Stoltenberg is no lock to be the #1 DT all year. I always forget about about Deontre Thomas but kid looks good. Chris Walker is another interesting piece in all this. He and Daishon Neal are massive bodies and should be good at at least blocking passing lanes and batting down passes even if 3rd string type guys.

Here is my guess as to depth:

1DT Mick
1DE Carlos
1DE Stille

2DT Vainuku
2DE Freedom
2DE Khalil

3DT Daniels
3DE Neal
3DE Deontre Thomas

I would agree that we lack an all american or even a 1st team all BIG in all likelihood, but man it looks like we have a legitimate 3 deep on the DL. Newell and Walker arent on this list either.

Can this DL mask our secondary concerns?

And it just as easily could be for the starters....

1st team
DT Mick
DE Carlos
DE Freedom

Or
First team
DT Mick
DE Carlos
DE Khalil

Or even
First team
DT Carlos
DE Stille
DE Freedom

We have plenty of potential there and I disagree....there’s definitely a possibility of 1st team All BIG10 players there. They just needed a better DC and coaching. But a lot of that will show if I’m correct over the season.

I think our Front 7 is going to be really solid. If they get some pressure they could end up being really, really good. We shouldn’t get pushed around late in games, that’s for sure.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Freedom, Mick, and the Daniels twins? They had a chance to pick it up last year. Did they? No. Good coaching can take a player a long way.. Heart is something that is hard to teach. Look to the future, because these upperclassman have no heart and have shown that their entire career. Hell, they wouldn't have been 3rd or 4th string on a national championship caliber team. I suspect the young guns will overtake them midway through the season. Well now, they have good coaching you say? Heart is instilled in the player from the get go. A coach can wake them up a bit, but for the most part.......Well, you get my drift. Hope I'm wrong though.
We have experience with this before. 2007 our dline stunk however that same group of players by the end of 2008 was really good and then in 2009 was arguably best in the nation. We really have no idea of the talent or how motivated these guys are until they start playing again this year. I think we will be above big10 average

Reactions: Vito Corleone
I think the DL has the opportunity to prove a lot of people wrong about them, but with the lack of productivity last year, I don't think I could say they are overrated. I think they have a lot of potential to be a good area on a team, that I think will be much improved this year. I just want to see the lines on both sides of the ball be able to push around the teams they should and then hold their own against good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT