1DE Carlos
1DE Stille

2DT Vainuku
2DE Freedom
2DE Khalil

3DT Daniels
3DE Neal
3DE Deontre Thomas

I would agree that we lack an all american or even a 1st team all BIG in all likelihood, but man it looks like we have a legitimate 3 deep on the DL. Newell and Walker arent on this list either.

Can this DL mask our secondary concerns?

We’ll know a lot more about our defense after we play 3 or 4 games from where we were at the end of last season.

Reactions: TFrazier
Here is my guess as to depth:

1DT Mick
1DE Carlos
1DE Stille

2DT Vainuku
2DE Freedom
2DE Khalil

3DT Daniels
3DE Neal
3DE Deontre Thomas

I would agree that we lack an all american or even a 1st team all BIG in all likelihood, but man it looks like we have a legitimate 3 deep on the DL. Newell and Walker arent on this list either.

What I like best about that list is we will definitely be rotating, and we will be fresh late in games!

Reactions: huskerfan66
Yeah, I 100% agree with that depth chart. And yeah, you aren't even including Newell, who would probably be in the 2nd or 3rd string ahead of Daniels I am guessing, simply because he's a senior with more experience.

And yeah, we're not even talking about a few of the other decent recruits playing, so it's exciting. Our D line is finally deep enough to not have to worry as much about injuries or getting winded. And they're going to need that, because this offense goes FAST.

1DT Mick
1DE Carlos
1DE Stille

2DT Vainuku
2DE Freedom
2DE Khalil

3DT Daniels
3DE Neal
3DE Deontre Thomas

And it just as easily could be for the starters....

1st team
DT Mick
DE Carlos
DE Freedom

Or
First team
DT Mick
DE Carlos
DE Khalil

Or even
First team
DT Carlos
DE Stille
DE Freedom

We have plenty of potential there and I disagree....there’s definitely a possibility of 1st team All BIG10 players there. They just needed a better DC and coaching. But a lot of that will show if I’m correct over the season.

We’ll know a lot more about our defense after we play 3 or 4 games from where we were at the end of last season.
I believe that our defense will improve based on addition by subtraction. The fact that Diaco is gone is a huge improvement in my opinion. He lost the players by the end of the season and the Minny game was an abomination.

Reactions: scarletred
So the guy who hasn't played football since 2012 is going to be second string? Based on what? He is big? He is old? He has South Pacific ancestory?

Daniels will push for playing time and will be in the mix. Mark my words.

This. Daniels is going to be ahead of Vainuku and is going to play a ton of snaps this year.

Reactions: scarletred
The reality is not a lot of proven results in that group. Mick played the middle last year with mixed results. Stille is new at the DE and coming off injury. The Davis's are prob the most experienced.

I am not sure this group is meant to the the elite pass rushers or rather occupy five linemen while the LB's make the plays. Obviously they will get around their guy at some point.

Last edited:
Deontre Thomas is another I doubt you are going to keep off the field. Kid showed he was able to get through blocks last year, and I think he even gets better. There are some pieces on the D Line and Daniels and Deontre will be a big part of that.

That and I never been high on Freedom he hasn’t done diddly since he showed up here.

I want to see Daniels and Thomas have big years this year along with the Davis twins.

1DT Mick
1DE Carlos
1DE Stille

2DT Vainuku
2DE Freedom
2DE Khalil

3DT Daniels
3DE Neal
3DE Deontre Thomas

You;re elevating Vainuku way too high. He will barely play.

I will go out on a limb and say that only 2 starters on the defense will be players that weren't on the roster last year, and maybe only 1.

Tre Neal and maybe Honas. Honas will play a ton, but I am going with Young and Barry as the starters.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Deontre Thomas is another I doubt you are going to keep off the field. Kid showed he was able to get through blocks last year, and I think he even gets better. There are some pieces on the D Line and Daniels and Deontre will be a big part of that.
Thomas is supposed to have a quick first step.

Thought I remember reading/hearing that Daishon Neal really got his body in shape and upped his game. Contend for more playing time over Freedom? Opinions on this or am I wrong here?

Correct me if im wrong but ive seen a lot of chins d last year that had a 4 man front.. i believe we will see more of a 50 50 mix with a 3-4 & 4-3.. especially against teams like iowa and wiscon.osu and michigan.

Two things:

1.) DaiShon Neal really did put in the work apparently, because he had a monster spring game and looked like a totally different player.

2.) I agree that they need to prove it, but I also think we're going to have a good D-line. And yes, Chinander has said they don't have a set lineup that they stick to; some looks are a 4-3 while some are a 3-4. I would say probably more a 3-4 than 4-3, but they adjust for whatever they want to do.

Correct me if im wrong but ive seen a lot of chins d last year that had a 4 man front.. i believe we will see more of a 50 50 mix with a 3-4 & 4-3.. especially against teams like iowa and wiscon.osu and michigan.

Depends on who the fourth person is. Another lineman or a LB. Makes a big difference.

For starters in a 3-4, Gifford is OLB, the other OLB is TBD, and Young is ILB with either Honas or Mo as the other ILB.

It's not necessarily a 4-3 just because there are 4 guys on the line. It may still very well be a 3-4 with one of the OLBs playing up on the line. He may even back off and the pressure may come from the other side.

I think it will be fairly pedestrian, not crappy. So, IMO, probably not underrated

No unit off a 4-8 team (especially when the defense was a pathetic as ours was) can be underrated. They need to prove themselves on the field.
What? That makes no sense brother!

If they prove themselves on the field then that shows they were underrated in the preseason.

Watch how much a simple change in scheme, switching to an aggressive approach makes the DLine that much better this season.

Reactions: Nebyank
I agree, he is very talented. Hard to see him as third string.

Reactions: Chuck003
All of the above posts are why this thread exists; underrated as in, yes, they will get a lot more done this year. Also, we finally have some quality depth on the line and at LB. I really only am worried about CB, honestly. Every other position seems pretty ok to me right now.

As for Dixon, the coaches said they love him in packages where he rushes the QB. I expect to see him in any look like that.

Reactions: huskerssalts
The key is definitely the depth. There are A LOT of options on the line and competition will be heightened as guys are battling for spots. We desperately need our d-line to come up big this year putting up a brick wall together with the LBs. Big Duval-developed dudes attacking in the new scheme could yield unexpected results for the doubters (i.e. underrated). The old sit back and watch bullshit of 2017 is long gone. Time to unleash the beasts. GBR

The key is definitely the depth. There are A LOT of options on the line and competition will be heightened as guys are battling for spots. We desperately need our d-line to come up big this year putting up a brick wall together with the LBs. Big Duval-developed dudes attacking in the new scheme could yield unexpected results for the doubters (i.e. underrated). The old sit back and watch bullshit of 2017 is long gone. Time to unleash the beasts. GBR

"The old sit back and watch bullshit of 2017 is long gone. Time to unleash the beasts."

Yepper! I love that HominidHusker! Beaver ball is long, long gone and it's a totally different story now. WooHOO!!

GBR!!

Reactions: bigredhunter
Nebraska is not very good on either line....at least not good enough to be a contender.
you are right. Stille has potential. The rest... they would be ok at a lower tier school. All under-performed. As a Junior or senior, you have it or you don't. They do not. Stille has a chance.

Freedom, Mick, and the Daniels twins? They had a chance to pick it up last year. Did they? No. Good coaching can take a player a long way.. Heart is something that is hard to teach. Look to the future, because these upperclassman have no heart and have shown that their entire career. Hell, they wouldn't have been 3rd or 4th string on a national championship caliber team. I suspect the young guns will overtake them midway through the season. Well now, they have good coaching you say? Heart is instilled in the player from the get go. A coach can wake them up a bit, but for the most part.......Well, you get my drift. Hope I'm wrong though.

Dixon should play a lot. No clue if he will win the starting spot or not yet but he will definitely see the field a ton. With the speed and athleticism he’s bringing to the table, no way he doesn’t. He played a lot for Ole Miss as a true freshman in the SEC, he should only be better this year. He’s like another Gifford but faster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT