ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska the worst program in the B1G?

I am not an Iowa fan, but Ferentz is one of the best coaches in College Football. No he doesn't win the Big Ten often or even annually win 10 games a year, but his teams are always well coached and play tough disciplined football. They also put a lot of lowly rated high school kids into the NFL. (Mostly from the OL/DL)

Iowa doesn't recruit well, but they develop their lineman really well. What separates them from the teams ahead of them is they don't have great skill players. Can't remember the last time they put a WR in the NFL. It's been at least 12 years since they had a great RB. Shonn Greene maybe? Sure they have great TEs, but you don't need to even throw the ball to the TE to win in college football. They throw to the TE so much, it probably hurts their WR recruiting. OSU, Bama, and Clemson rarely use the TE compared to Iowa.

Wisconsin is even ahead of Iowa. These programs don't have top 10 talent, but they know how to develop their talent. I don't see either making the playoffs anytime soon, but under their coaching staffs they are going to be a pain to play on the road.
Wouldn’t it be something if we could get a coach that recognizes this and is HUMBLED enough to adopt the philosophy? I thought Frost was it. Now I know he is the most stubborn and arrogant coach we have ever had. That isn’t changing. I guess that comes with winning in a different system and not being able to be wrong. You would think that over 2O losses in 3 years would do it…..Nope

is there anyone on the staff who could replace frost as oc? so frost can focus more on general football fundamentals of the team?
They have an offensive coordinator...Matt Lubick.....don't know if frost is still doing the play calling (which he sucks at)

Reactions: redwine65
Yes. Let’s really pull back the curtain here. I see folks mentioning talent, but that’s also at the bottom of the conference. I think we got some good kids, but we barely scratch the NFL draft. 2 Huskers drafted last year? That’s unacceptable. Mix that in with constant public idiocy, substandard recruiting, admittedly horrible game day prep, player boneheadedness, etc…. I challenge someone to tell me what the Nebraska football program currently does well. The issues with this program are so incredibly deep. So again, yes, we are at the bottom of the BIG. Time to take the blinders off of those that still have them on.

Talent wise...not the worst team. We easily have the worst Offensive staff in the league. The offense is never prepared to play on game day. That means they are not practicing well during the week either because games are won or lost during practice and rarely does the light suddenly come on for players during an actual game. Whatever they’re doing it hasn’t been good enough for 4 seasons. The lack of attention detail requires work and nobody on Offense is putting in the necessary work to win.

Last edited:
Our discipline and attention to detail is pathetic. However, that hit was not late, that was an absolute joke of a call.
The problem there was what has been plaguing us for years.

Mentally fragile, loser mentality. If this type of thing turns the tide once or twice a season, when you don't have elite talent, it's somewhat acceptable.

However, this is an almost every game occurrence here and it seems to open the floodgates.

The leadership is pathetic on so many levels. So ironic that 2 of the team captains made the worst plays yesterday.

Reactions: headcard
I mean we have the worst coach…that’s for certain. It’s not close to the worst job though.

That may change the longer Frost is around. At this point, even with a large buyout Nebraska can’t afford to not fire him. I saw offer him half his buyout and a years worth of Jameson. He would accept on the spot.
Infinite drinks at Gate 25?

Nebraska has plenty of talent. Fans in the stands. Great Tradition. Negatives? Lack of fundamentals and execution lead to critical mistakes. Team chemistry issues? Can’t say for sure but there seems to be a lack of leadership on the field. NCAA investigation and lack of confidence in your HC not helping right now. Not the worst program in the B1G at the moment, but keep it up and you just might be.

As an outsider that has lots of Nebraska fans as friends I feel sorry for you now. As an outsider I can see that Scot Frost just isn't a very good coach. In fact he's a very bad coach that come to a great football school and in four years has them looking like crap. In four years a new coach can't find a QB and punter or place kicker.

Great offensive lineman, we do not have.

Great defensive linemen, we do not have.

Without these things, no coach, look good will he. No coach.

Good coach, frost is, but only as good as the people, on the lines he has.

Unfortunate it is. Poor our lines are.

No, not the worst program in the league. IMO.
I still believe Nebraska can return to prominence quickly, once the right coach is hired. Similar to the way Oklahoma rebounded under Stoops. Just have to find the right coach.
There is a big Difference between Nebraska and Oklahoma. Oklahoma during the lean years did not go 20 years between conference titles . It was 12 and they were only down for 6-7 years.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
We are akin to Indiana basketball. Proud tradition. Legendary venue. Won some titles a hundred years ago with a HOF coach. Totally irrelevant today.
Yes, good comparison. I had this vision of Frost reigniting the flame that was put out when T.O. retired, but clearly he is not capable of, nor does he want to light that fire. Scott is trying to reinvent the wheel in Lincoln and, so far, he appears lost in the wilderness. Hopefully Trev has a plan!

Good to Really Good Defensive Linemen we have.

Sacks and solid tackling they did Saturday.

Blind you can be. Not so wise you are.

Reactions: bshirt73
For sure. No question….with regards to making maximum use of their talent. They probably have better talent than Iowa and NW for e.g and definitely Rutgers and Illinois but those teams do more with their talent than we do. Right now…Neb is the worst program in the BIG and “maybe” all of Power 5 college FB.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

And “Unfortunately” that’s on the coaches. Poor recruiting? I think it’s poor development and poor coaching.

For sure. No question….with regards to making maximum use of their talent. They probably have better talent than Iowa and NW for e.g and definitely Rutgers and Illinois but those teams do more with their talent than we do. Right now…Neb is the worst program in the BIG and “maybe” all of Power 5 college FB.

Northwestern and Iowa develop talent better than Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT