ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to pull the plug on Jurgens?

Go back and watch last year...our senior center also had a major problem with high snaps...people just ignored it because he was a team leader and was obviously the best. Cam is the best we have...the dropped snap today wasn't his fault...the rest are disruptive but not anymore than WRs running poor routes or rbs missing holes or cutback responsibilities...or wrs missing outside blocks...it is the most obvious to ignorant fans but the fact AM can't throw a ball with proper touch, or Noa can't get open, or Mo can't pass protect are all equally disruptive...we are a VERY thin team with almost no competition at this point...competition breeds detail and excellence...lets just crawl to 6 wins and call it a success.
I'm with you , I understand our deficiencies. I also understand the position he's in {frosh, new at position}. Jurgens was part of the problem in the previous games but today really showcased the effect his snaps are having. I mean the 3rd & 1 {after the over the head snap} with Vedral when we were stopped is a prime example of his impact. We convert that with a decent snap. Game changer in the 4th quarter if you ask me.

Reactions: bshirt73
It was a mistake IMO not to recruit a JUCO center right off the bat inorder to let Jurgens grow into becoming a center.

Reactions: Baxter48
CJ will be fine. The more he does it the better he’ll get. It really does disrupt play flow. He’ll become polished and end up in the NFL in 3 years. We need a lot of polishing up right now, he’s just one part of it.

Jurgens has inexcusable snap issues (it really is not ok), and our “leader” Martinez can’t hit a 5 yd touch pass to save his life, which is equally inexcusable for me. Then the WR’s are dropping the easy ones. Our guys definitely need to work on ball handling in all facets.

It also tells me that if we clean up those easy things combined with a little improvement in blocking, our team will be much much better. Maybe not amazing, but significantly improved.

Go back and watch last year...our senior center also had a major problem with high snaps...people just ignored it because he was a team leader and was obviously the best. Cam is the best we have...the dropped snap today wasn't his fault...the rest are disruptive but not anymore than WRs running poor routes or rbs missing holes or cutback responsibilities...or wrs missing outside blocks...it is the most obvious to ignorant fans but the fact AM can't throw a ball with proper touch, or Noa can't get open, or Mo can't pass protect are all equally disruptive...we are a VERY thin team with almost no competition at this point...competition breeds detail and excellence...lets just crawl to 6 wins and call it a success.
Yes he was a senior but he hadn't every played center in a game before our starter went down. Farmer had way less bad snaps than Jurgens has. Even Steve Taylor has seen enough of Jurgens at center but he also notes how poor our quality depth is on the O line is right now.

A pre-season top 25 FCA team should not ever have a RS Freshman from Beatrice, Nebraska on the field, let alone starting. That was a red flag from the get-go.

What does being from Beatrice have to do with anything? I remember a few years ago we had a quarterback from Wood River? I remember a guy from Gothenburg who went to Wyoming and had a pretty successful career with the Cowboys?

Yes he was a senior but he hadn't every played center in a game before our starter went down. Farmer had way less bad snaps than Jurgens has. Even Steve Taylor has seen enough of Jurgens at center but he also notes how poor our quality depth is on the O line is right now.

IDK, Farmer was pretty bad in his first couple games...it got better...not sure how much...the offensive line was still dominated any time we played a defense with a pulse. Obviously having a freshman at center is a bad thing...and Jurgens wouldn't be playing in most situations but I don't think he deserves the abuse he gets...we have guys on the same line who have years of experience who are also pretty mediocre---bad.

I'm with you , I understand our deficiencies. I also understand the position he's in {frosh, new at position}. Jurgens was part of the problem in the previous games but today really showcased the effect his snaps are having. I mean the 3rd & 1 {after the over the head snap} with Vedral when we were stopped is a prime example of his impact. We convert that with a decent snap. Game changer in the 4th quarter if you ask me.
We've had games where our offensive line was scoring 10% block completion, they are missing 90% of their blocks....a bad snap is no worse than all of the other misses in execution that occur on the field. Wrs are not where they are supposed to be, rbs are not hitting the holes that do not exist, Qbs are not throwing accurate passes, are not running when given an opportunity...bad snaps are obvious, the other stuff isn't but the responsibility for the poor play is spread to everyone. A Frost offense doesn't sputter unless everyone is hurt, or not executing.

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41
IDK, Farmer was pretty bad in his first couple games...it got better...not sure how much...the offensive line was still dominated any time we played a defense with a pulse. Obviously having a freshman at center is a bad thing...and Jurgens wouldn't be playing in most situations but I don't think he deserves the abuse he gets...we have guys on the same line who have years of experience who are also pretty mediocre---bad.

He deserves his share because he is part of the problem but certainly not all of our problems. I agree that he doesn’t exactly deserve the abuse. We’re in no position to be picky here and it’s something we’re going to have to ride out.

Reactions: SmallTownFootball
In 2016 when Colorado had its best season in recent memory, the Buffs had a center named Alex Kelly who put the point of the ball on the ground and snapped it to the QB with no spin on it at all. I'm sure others have used that technique too, but I remember Kelly because I don't think he had a bad snap all season. I wonder if this might work for Jurgens? Seems like it can't get a whole lot worse at this point.

They did recruit a JUCO center, but he was never eligible. That's a blunder on the recruiting front.
There are only so many JUCO centers who could hold up in power 5 football. We went after maybe the only guy out there that fit the bill and he didn't qualify. How is that a recruiting failure for Frost? For many many years, Tom and Milt built centers. It is very common for college centers to have never played center before. What's not good is us having to play a redshirt freshman who has never played center AND ALSO was hurt most of the spring and summer. IOWA is starting a kid at center who was recently moved from DT. We're all worried about these first games of the year. I think Frost is thinking more long term than the average fan. Imagine what Jurgens can be by the time he's a junior when we have a senior QB. That year potentially we will have a line consisting of 4 juniors and one senior.

Cam don't look like a center, however I believe he would make an excellent offensive guard and would not have to think about snapping the ball.

What does being from Beatrice have to do with anything? I remember a few years ago we had a quarterback from Wood River? I remember a guy from Gothenburg who went to Wyoming and had a pretty successful career with the Cowboys?
And a very successful OG that played 8 man at Sterling HS.

There are only so many JUCO centers who could hold up in power 5 football. We went after maybe the only guy out there that fit the bill and he didn't qualify. How is that a recruiting failure for Frost? For many many years, Tom and Milt built centers. It is very common for college centers to have never played center before. What's not good is us having to play a redshirt freshman who has never played center AND ALSO was hurt most of the spring and summer. IOWA is starting a kid at center who was recently moved from DT. We're all worried about these first games of the year. I think Frost is thinking more long term than the average fan. Imagine what Jurgens can be by the time he's a junior when we have a senior QB. That year potentially we will have a line consisting of 4 juniors and one senior.
NU fans think week to week. Frost has to think year to year.

Asking a struggling true freshman to change techniques mid-season sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can't believe we're in the 6th game of the season and still having this discussion. They really can't work with him every day to get the snaps down? If he can't do it, replace him with someone who can. It has been an obvious, recognizable disruption in the timing of the offense. The coaching staff has been far too stubborn in refusing to address the problem.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Asking a struggling true freshman to change techniques mid-season sounds like a recipe for disaster. I can't believe we're in the 6th game of the season and still having this discussion. They really can't work with him every day to get the snaps down? If he can't do it, replace him with someone who can. It has been an obvious, recognizable disruption in the timing of the offense. The coaching staff has been far too stubborn in refusing to address the problem.

We used the dead snap in pee wee football so it’s not like he’s having to learn some difficult technique. Practice it for 5 minutes and you’re cool.

And staying with his current technique is a recipe for... what, exactly?

You're right, we're just ignoring the obvious solution of inserting a different player at center. Why the coaches haven't thought of this is beyond me.

And staying with his current technique is a recipe for... what, exactly?

You're right, we're just ignoring the obvious solution of inserting a different player at center. Why the coaches haven't thought of this is beyond me.
Are people forgetting that the backup is also a RS frosh who might snap the ball better, but also possibly get eaten alive by B1G Dlines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT